Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

What I'd like to know is...from someone who knows more about football than me...

A.) How much time did Peterman have to throw against that 'prevent' garbage time D? Versus how much time did Taylor have throughout the game.

b.) How much seperation did the WR's have from the DB's when Peterman made the throw?  And did Taylor have similar option (WR's had similar seperation from DB's) and he checked down to McCoy or Tolbert?

In a word.....plenty.  Why?  Because he took his drop, planted his feet, made his reads, made a decision, and threw the ball.  The ball can out in rhythem and on time.  Would he have had more time if he needed it?  Maybe.  We'll never know because he didn't need it.  He is not one to hold the ball any longer than necessary to make a decision.  He throws on time and has a pretty quick release.

If you want to know the exact time it took him from snap to release, check out the video in the original post.

Edited by sven233

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

McDermott said today that he's seen improvement in Tyrod this year. My question is, what has he seen improvement in? Tyrod is the exact same if not worse than he was 2 years ago. McDermott cannot honestly believe what he said 

See stuff like this scares the crap outta me...I can see McD marrying himself to Tyrod because he's a nice guy and works hard and then we are back to a Gailey/Fitz situation where he refuses to draft another QB

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Peterman reads the field quickly and trusts what he sees. He trusts his arm and trusts his teammate to make the play.

Things an NFL quarterback needs to be successful.

Things that the current starting quarterback does not have. As a result, the current starting quarterback will never be successful in this league.

I left early and didn't see his TD drive.  I agree about this.   He looked good.  In charge, good decisions.   Good throws.  

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

McDermott said today that he's seen improvement in Tyrod this year. My question is, what has he seen improvement in? Tyrod is the exact same if not worse than he was 2 years ago. McDermott cannot honestly believe what he said 

I know it seems like a long time ago, but Tyrod was horrid in preseason. 

In fact, Sunday's game was a perfect echo of Tyrod's preseason.

He slipped a couple of decent games in, which was enough to fool McDermott & help him get by, but he has to be close to getting the hook.

Three years of this guy has been misery.

Say what you want.  That was the same defense scheme Taylor faced the entire second half.  If he can't or wont throw in NFL zone windows than every team will key the run and play cover 2 on third down.  A defense that is as basic as it gets.

23 minutes ago, Steptide said:

And these are the kind of remarks that shorten your HC leash/career. I can guarantee you the Pegula's will be looking very close on how this year turns out and how the draft goes.

Edited by Real McCoy

NFL offenses are predicated on timing.  3, 5and 7 step drops and the ball is out.  During the drop back the QB is scanning his 1st, 2nd, etc receiver.  If nothing, run or throw it away.

Tyrod can’t do this.  He does not see the field.  His ineptitude forces the o-line  to block longer than they should.  His ineptitude leads the defense to load the box and kills the run game.  When loading the box, the defense dares Tyrod to be a QB....and he fails miserably.  

Tyrod missed wide open receivers yesterday many, many times.  He can’t see the field and can’t make decisions.  Enough is enough, sit him down.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Maynard said:

Yeah pretty tough to evaluate, but I really like what saw there. I know the Saints were not prepared for him and were in a soft defense, but the anticipation and reads were great. Gotta remember that Peterson hasn't had full go in and out practices with the first team too.  If I'm the coaching staff I make the change now, giving Peterman full reps with the first team. Give him time with KB, Clay, and JM and we could be pleasantly surprised.  It's time to move on from Taylor.  I really don't see how it hurts anything either.  If the game is too much for Peterman and we break him....oh well. He's a 5th round draft pick after all. We then take another QB early next draft that best fits our system and let the rook and Peterman battle it out.  

I agree with you. The NFL has changed and I don’t buy into this crap about playing a rookie QB too early can damage his confidence and career. If all teams folllowed that , someone like Prescott would have been left sitting on the bench after Romo got hurt in favor of using some journeyman player who has been in the league. Find out what you might have.  The offense is an abysmal failure for the majority of this season. If Peterman can’t handle it ( hard to believe he could be any worse that TT NOW) then so be it and you use those draft picks to get a legit QB.  MAYBE Peterson actually does perform close to what he looked like yesterday and I don’t see how that would not get some energy and passion back in this team. No way to deny that D quit yesterday or at least resigned to the fact they were getting their ass kicked. Watch the lackluster arm tackling , punching at the ball without wrapping up. They aren’t making the tackle first and then having a second man try to dislodge the ball , they just keep going for the turnovers. Getting some offensive production and actually scoring or playing with a lead and not from behind every game may get some passion back in this D.  

Garbage time/not garbage time.

Peterman good/Peterman not good.

Pointless arguing bc no one has the answer.

What is clear however, is that FANS are ready for the 'anti-Tyrod' and in this case it happens to be a 5th rd draft pick named Nathan Peterman.

Armchairing it, it's evident  (some might say obvious) a qb who makes his drop (while making his read) and cuts it loose giving his guys a chance to make a play might also alleviate a stacked box.

If we see it,  and it's this painfully obvious ya gotta believe the staff is aware as well. 

Politics? Room divide? A rookie deemed not yet ready? Or maybe simply just not ready to pull the plug? All things we aren't privy to. 

Maybe they don't wanna ruin him...

Maybe he isn't ready for an NFL defense. 

Maybe they view it as throwing in the towel and they still feel the vet gives them the best shot at a season. Maybe they feel if they give him the rope and more time TT will hang himself.

Who knows... But we clamor bc he is, after all - the 'anti-tyrod'

Edited by gobills1212

51 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think the FO is under any pressure. They're playing with house money right now and I think everyone inside OBD knows Tyrod isn't our long term future.

If Tyrod lays another egg in the 1st half against the Chargers there's no way they don't give him the hook. At that point you're trying to save the season and you need to get Peterman on the field to see what happens. 

Taylor and the whole offense have been a total train wreck the last two weeks. With a legit shot to break the playoff drought this year, you don't just stick with Tyrod because it's supposedly the safe thing to do. Changes need to be made sooner than later if the on field performance doesn't change. 

Change may be on the horizon. Went over to the Bills web site just for fun to see if they would even mention Peterman. Sure enough, not only did they acknowledge his playing time but labeled it "impressive". Not so far fetched that Pegs may be asking pertinent question.

3 - Peterman tosses first career touchdown
With the game well out of reach, Buffalo’s backup quarterback Nathan Petermanicon-article-link.gif was called to action. He threw the lone touchdown of the game for the Bills, and it just so happened to be Peterman’s first touchdown in the NFL.

“It’s a milestone for sure,” he said. “Ultimately it’s a team game and we didn’t get it done. We have to go back and get a lot better.”

Buffalo’s fifth-round pick in 2017 put together a solid stat line in his first regular season showing. He completed 7-10 passes for 79 yards and one touchdown. Peterman’s passer rating was 126.7.

The touchdown drive he orchestrated was impressive. It was a six-play, 75-yard drive that took just over a minute. The final result was a seven-yard touchdown pass from Peterman to Nick O’Leary. The score was O’Leary’s first touchdown in the league as well.

30 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

And these are the kind of remarks that shorten your HC leash/career. I can guarantee you the Pegula's will be looking very close on how this year turns out and how the draft goes.

I think McDermott and Beane have a 3 year window where their jobs are in no danger at all.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think McDermott and Beane have a 3 year window where their jobs are in no danger at all.

I honestly hope they are here the next 20 years due to great success. 

If McD and Beane decide to ride TT next year and fail it will be their unwinding. If every new NFL coach and FO doesn't understand this they are floating turds in the water waiting to eventually sink like all turds do.

Edited by Real McCoy

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed - if for no other reason than it's something that they haven't done yet. At the very least one would hope they got the musical chairs approach out of their system. We as fans are partially to blame as well. I feel like years ago (and maybe it's also due to the change in media intensity) changes happened when the owner saw fit and it was what it was. It seems the longer this went on, the more influence from outside sources was taken into account to appease the fans. Some folks here were done with McBeane after the Jets game. 17 yrs sucks,  but my god... Rome wasn't built in a day. Musical chairs gets viewed as a joke from a National perception. I am however glad this approach was taken after the realization (with the help of his own mouth) that Rex wasn't the solution.

Edited by gobills1212

13 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I honestly hope they are here the next 20 years due to great success. 

If McD and Beane decide to ride TT next year and fail it will be their unwinding. If every new NFL coach and FO doesn't understand this they are floating turds in the water waiting to eventually sink like all turds do.

There is no way they bring Tyrod back if he plays like this. He doesn't even fit the type of system Dennison wants to run which is why it's so painfully obvious that they need to make a change if he goes out and has another stinker next week. The only thing that makes me hesitant about switching the following week is you are still on the road and playing the chiefs. Maybe they wait until they come home to put in Peterman but by that time it might be to little too late and another great opportunity to make the playoffs is flushed down the drain.

This makes me think of when people thought EJ could be a changed man with his "going to let it rip" comment. What gets me, TT is human. He says he "doesnt listen to the crowd" but thats crap. How can you not? Im glad NP got an ovation yesterday if for no other reason than if they are insistent on keeping TT as the starter - maybe that opened his eyes. Maybe it knocked a thought loose and he considered "gee, maybe I ought to let it rip." We can make remarks like he doesn't get etc etc... But he's not stupid. Hopefully it's is he capable of making the necessary change. Yesterday was terrible and I'm ready for something new don't get me wrong - but let s not pretend TT has never thrown a pass linger than a check down. Again, if it's THIS obvious, I can't help but wonder why and wtf he was doing yesterday...

39 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

There is no way they bring Tyrod back if he plays like this. He doesn't even fit the type of system Dennison wants to run which is why it's so painfully obvious that they need to make a change if he goes out and has another stinker next week. The only thing that makes me hesitant about switching the following week is you are still on the road and playing the chiefs. Maybe they wait until they come home to put in Peterman but by that time it might be to little too late and another great opportunity to make the playoffs is flushed down the drain.

According to Rico, Tyrod is the perfect fit for the offense

Edited by JaCrispy

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

13 pages on 10 attempts!!

A better thread title: Every Nate Peterman Throw from the Saints' Game in Garbage Time against Backups who wanted the Clock to Run.  Hooray! Give him the job. :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A better thread title: Every Nate Peterman Throw from the Saints' Game in Garbage Time against Backups who wanted the Clock to Run.  Hooray! Give him the job. :rolleyes:

Tyrod couldn’t accomplish anything better during his garbage time. He was to busy checking down to Tolbert on 3rd and long down 27. 

Edited by Bangarang

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way Tyrods makes one of the throws Peterman did in the same garbage time. In fact, I would say that Peterman would have played every passing play in that game better than Tyrod did. It's nearly impossible to be worse than Tyrod was. If any person who has watched Peterman play in the preseason, in practice or in the game yesterday doesn't believe Peterman has the skills and the mental game to be a better QB than TT is lying to themselves. I say this and I'm not 100% sold on playing Peterman yet because I don't think he can lead this group to the playoffs either and it might be best to keep him on the sidelines for the year.

Just now, Bills Pimpin' said:

No way Tyrods makes one of the throws Peterman did in the same garbage time. In fact, I would say that Peterman would have played every passing play in that game better than Tyrod did. It's nearly impossible to be worse than Tyrod was. If any person who has watched Peterman play in the preseason, in practice or in the game yesterday doesn't believe Peterman has the skills and the mental game to be a better QB than TT is lying to themselves. I say this and I'm not 100% sold on playing Peterman yet because I don't think he can lead this group to the playoffs either and it might be best to keep him on the sidelines for the year.

Okay. :thumbsup:

Both cover 2/ Tampa 2.  Peterman threw in Windows Taylor wouldnt.  Thats it.  It aint college.  They cant go 2 deep at linebaker and the secondary, even if they wanted to so for the most part it was vs the same players on the backend.  I dont hate Tyrod.  I want him to succeed.  When the d runs the same defense on every third down and you cant beat it the writing is on the wall.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

Just adding some fuel to the fire. Don't tell me Peterman can be worse than Tyrod. I see alot of runs here 

Thx for posting this.  I had not seen him play much ( and I am originally from around the Pittsburgh area but now live in sec Jacksonville) and that is a  great show of his athleticism!  How do we get #85 tho?!!   Lol ! That guy has some speed , hands ,, good yac! One poster made a valid point about the saints d having prepared for Tyrod and so that helped account for Peterman looking good at the end of the game. Well, why not throw Peterman in for a few series at least so that defenses have to prepare for something other than this predictable Dennison playcalling?  I say that as I sit watching Cam Newton running the offense we should be running with Tyrod.    When cam runs he plays better. I’m not a professional offensive coordinator but I’ve watched the Bills since 1966, slept in hotels better than holiday inns, and I could be more creative than Dennison. I’m looking forward to seeing more of peterman. Seems like a wasted opportunity when your starting qb standard has a game completing ONE pass to a wr, and 60 yds or so for a game total.  

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So much for the argument that Peterman was only playing against a vanilla defense and all the Saints starters were out.

After the game I believed that the production output from Peterman was just because they were in garbage time versus prevent coverages, but I will pull the reigns back on that sentiment. Peterman saw an array of one high, two high, zone, man, pattern matching coverages in his two drives. The passes to Benjamin and Thompson were against slot guy PJ Williams and starter Ken Crawley and they are talented in their own right. Even defensive end Alex Okafor and DT Sheldon Rankins were still getting snaps late into the fourth. It was quite evident the Saints didn’t want to punt or give up a touchdown.

But it was the fact that Peterman was able to process the array of coverages and just get the ball out to where the coverage dictated. On the two occasions where they blitzed him and had guys up and around the line of scrimmage, a blue print laid down by the Jets, Peterman threw two incompletions. But again, it was his ability to recognize the blitz, know who the unblocked defender was and get the ball out to O’Leary. He then recognized the very same play on the next drive and attempted a deep shot to his speed receiver. That mental processing of coverages from snap to snap and recognition from drive to drive was exciting to see.

He can execute this offense better than Tyrod. I’m completely convinced.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So much for the argument that Peterman was only playing against a vanilla defense and all the Saints starters were out.

He can execute this offense better than Tyrod. I’m completely convinced.

Hurry! Call OBD to let them know what you've concluded.  Many of the starters were sitting down, including Lattimore. 

"On the two occasions where they blitzed him and had guys up and around the line of scrimmage, a blue print laid down by the Jets, Peterman threw two incompletions. "

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hurry! Call OBD to let them know what you've concluded.  Many of the starters were sitting down, including Lattimore. 

"On the two occasions where they blitzed him and had guys up and around the line of scrimmage, a blue print laid down by the Jets, Peterman threw two incompletions. "

One was the drop by KB, right?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

One was the drop by KB, right?

I think it was a slight deflection by the DB.  

BTW, Author's conclusion: Do I believe he should be the starter? No, not yet, but his fourth quarter performance against the Saints really gave you a glimpse into what he can do.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz