Mile High Sports: Bills OT Glenn could be traded to Broncos

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very close but maybe a little off on this years hit and we would also want to consider cap savings, not just dead money. Its difficut to figure out the exact numbers due to contract structure and timing of the deal, but here is what we know for sure. The new team would assume the unpaid salary and roster bonuses for the remainder of the contract - including all unpaid guarantees. The Bills would get hit with what theyve already paid him this season plus any unaccounted for signing bonus money.

His signing bonus is being written off at $3.2M a year through 2020. That means the Bills get hit with $3.2M this season plus $9.6M next. His compensation this season is $9M ($7.5M guaranteed). We would only get hit with whatever portion of games he is on our roster for. Lastly, he has $2M in roster bonuses this season. The structure is unclear. It is probably divided evenly among all 16 games and paid only if hes on the active roster for the games, but mightve been a lump sum at the beginning of the league year.

So if we assume that Glenn would play this week, be traded next week and that the roster bonus structure is per game active, then it calculates as such:

2017 Dead: $3.375M salary + $3.2M signing bonus + $250k roster bonus = $6.825M total 2017 dead

2018 Dead: $9.6M

2017 Cap Impact: $14.2M expected cap hit - $5.625M salary assumed by new team - $1.5M roster bonuses unpaid due to inactivity or paid by new team = $7.075M revised 2017 cap hit. Thats a cap hit reduction of $7.125M this season.

This would mean that the Bills would gain $7.125M in cap space this season and get hit with $9.6M next. That $7.125M would be carried over so in effect trading Glenn next week would result in an effective cap hit of $2.475M versus where they stand today. If the roster bonus has already been completely paid wed have $1.5M more in dead cap this season and overall cap hit.

Realistically its still a lot of dead money to eat, so the trade compensation would really have to be worthwhile for the Bills to consider moving him.

Great read !

Thanks for all the effort and detail !

Appreciate when Folks like you bring it

Here's the thing, we know the 5 OTs. Glenn, Mills, Dawkins, Henderson, and McDermott.

We know that it is not Dawkins or McDermott because they were brought in by this regime. I find it hard to believe anyone is going to trade for Henderson just coming off suspension and is 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension.

That leaves Glenn and Mills and I could see either or. Glenn gives you the most value for a team building towards the future. I don't think the cap is a big deal to them. They said that they plan on building the team through the draft and they have done nothing to show that's not the case.

If it is Glenn and they can't get the compensation they are looking for this year don't be surprised if they take a higher 2019 pick to continue the building process over two years.

On the other hand I think it could be Mills because while he isn't highly valued like Glenn, he does have a ton of starting experience in this league, has a fairly cheap contract, is under control beyond this year, and the compensation wouldn't be likely more than a 5th round pick

And we could even throw in Ducasse as an added bonus !

makes me wanna puke^^

Glenn is a 6th year player with bad feet/legs and a hefty salary... Getting rid of him is absolutely the right move to make... Maybe for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick?

If his health is that bad why would anyone give that much value for him? 2nd and 3rd round picks are considered high end picks.

Here's the thing, we know the 5 OTs. Glenn, Mills, Dawkins, Henderson, and McDermott.

We know that it is not Dawkins or McDermott because they were brought in by this regime. I find it hard to believe anyone is going to trade for Henderson just coming off suspension and is 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension.

That leaves Glenn and Mills and I could see either or. Glenn gives you the most value for a team building towards the future. I don't think the cap is a big deal to them. They said that they plan on building the team through the draft and they have done nothing to show that's not the case.

If it is Glenn and they can't get the compensation they are looking for this year don't be surprised if they take a higher 2019 pick to continue the building process over two years.

On the other hand I think it could be Mills because while he isn't highly valued like Glenn, he does have a ton of starting experience in this league, has a fairly cheap contract, is under control beyond this year, and the compensation wouldn't be likely more than a 5th round pick

I'm not sure I buy the assumption you're making.

If Beane brought in a second-teamer who's now superfluous but has trade value, I think he'd pull the trigger.

Von Miller for Cordy! Thats fair!

Who says moving up or down a spot or 2 in the draft isn't important!?

We took Dareus 3rd overall back in 2011....

The guy who went right before him No. 2 overall was Von Miller.

I wish we could swap those guys now.

I have to wonder how all the true believers figure that the Bills will ever be able to afford a real franchise QB when they draft him in 2018 ... along with the rest of their Super Bowl winning team. I guess they're figuring the Bills will take all their studs in 2018 and win the SB by 2022 before they let them all walk at the conclusion of their rookie contracts. :thumbsup:

I'm not quite sure what this means. If the Bills draft a "franchise QB" in 2018 (I'm not sure there is one, this year) they have plenty of money to pay the rookie contract. If the rookie turns out to be the "franchise QB" we've been waiting for, Glenn's current contract will be a non-issue, by the time the Bills will need to redo the QB contract.

Maybe you are saying something else.

You're wrong. He said he would like to stay. He wanted to be paid the going rate for top LTs. That was 10m. The Bills offered 9, which showed they wanted to keep him. They just weren't willing to pay the going rate. The Eagles were, and to give up high draft picks.

It's also true the Bills asked him to come to the offices to have an injury evaluated before they'd redo the contract and he said no.

I'm not quite sure what this means. If the Bills draft a "franchise QB" in 2018 (I'm not sure there is one, this year) they have plenty of money to pay the rookie contract. If the rookie turns out to be the "franchise QB" we've been waiting for, Glenn's current contract will be a non-issue, by the time the Bills will need to redo the QB contract.

Maybe you are saying something else.

I was being sarcastic. There are a contingent of Bills fans who are convinced that the only reason that the Bills have failed to make the playoffs in 17 years has been because they haven't had a "franchise QB" and who are convinced that the Bills should procure the #1 pick in the 2018 draft by whatever means necessary so that they can draft this mythical super hero, from "tanking" the season to trading away all the talent remaining on the Bills roster to procure enough draft picks to trade up to the #1 pick ... or top 3, I suppose.

It's also true the Bills asked him to come to the offices to have an injury evaluated before they'd redo the contract and he said no.

Peters wasn't going to sign any contract ever again with the Bills after the Bills refused to renegotiate the unfair contract they offered him in 2006 or 2007. The Bills stood on "principle" that they wouldn't renegotiate the contract that Peters signed for JAG RT or a swing OT money when he was already a starting LT. After his 2008 hold out and subsequent second Pro Bowl season, Peters stood on his own principle that he would play out his contract but wouldn't sign again with the Bills.

Nobody likes to feel taken advantage of, and that was what soured Peters' relationship with the Bills. The Bills had no choice but to trade him then, although if they had been fairer with Peters in the first place or had just accepted that they should renegotiate the unfair contract with a minimum of publicity, the best OLer to ever wear the Bills uniform would likely still be wearing one.

I was being sarcastic. There are a contingent of Bills fans who are convinced that the only reason that the Bills have failed to make the playoffs in 17 years has been because they haven't had a "franchise QB" and who are convinced that the Bills should procure the #1 pick in the 2018 draft by whatever means necessary so that they can draft this mythical super hero, from "tanking" the season to trading away all the talent remaining on the Bills roster to procure enough draft picks to trade up to the #1 pick ... or top 3, I suppose.

Peters wasn't going to sign any contract ever again with the Bills after the Bills refused to renegotiate the unfair contract they offered him in 2006 or 2007. The Bills stood on "principle" that they wouldn't renegotiate the contract that Peters signed for JAG RT or a swing OT money when he was already a starting LT. After his 2008 hold out and subsequent second Pro Bowl season, Peters stood on his own principle that he would play out his contract but wouldn't sign again with the Bills.

Nobody likes to feel taken advantage of, and that was what soured Peters' relationship with the Bills. The Bills had no choice but to trade him then, although if they had been fairer with Peters in the first place or had just accepted that they should renegotiate the unfair contract with a minimum of publicity, the best OLer to ever wear the Bills uniform would likely still be wearing one.

They offered 9m. He turned it down. He would have signed if it were 10. That was his asking price. We wouldn't go there.

They asked a guy under contract to simply come in so they could check on his injury as part of redoing the contract. And he refused. He deserved a new contract. He also was under contract and it was not unreasonable tfor the team to want to check on his health.

They asked a guy under contract to simply come in so they could check on his injury as part of redoing the contract. And he refused. He deserved a new contract. He also was under contract and it was not unreasonable tfor the team to want to check on his health.

Iirc he wasnt going to come in unless the contract was near his number. That became an excuse.

They told him they'd talk numbers; they wanted to make sure of his injury. It should have gotten done but neither side was innocent.

So you are going to believe that Peters publicly said he wanted to be the highest paid tackle, which was 10m per year, the Bills offered 9m without knowing anything about his injury, he refused to let them look at it, but let Philly look at him instead? Or Philly gave up a 1-4-6 AND 53m over four years new money without knowing of his injury?

Thats absurd to me.

So you are going to believe that Peters publicly said he wanted to be the highest paid tackle, which was 10m per year, the Bills offered 9m without knowing anything about his injury, he refused to let them look at it, but let Philly look at him instead? Or Philly gave up a 1-4-6 AND 53m over four years new money without knowing of his injury?

Thats absurd to me.

What's absurd is not responding to your boss when they try to contact you about an injury. As I said they should have signed him, but neither side was innocent.

Iirc he wasnt going to come in unless the contract was near his number. That became an excuse.

Yeah...I don't think Peters wanted to be in Buffalo any more regardless, man. Wasn't there an ugly hold out as well? The FO fumbled that situation. They should have given him a new contract after the 2006 season when he played, IMO, at an all-pro level at RT. They kinda screwed him over.

Ralph was cheap!!!

9m isn't near 10m?

Trading Glenn would be puzzling at best.

The only way I trade Glenn is if I felt his feet/ankle whatever were going to be a problem for the rest of his career. If the dude is going to miss a lot of games every year then he isn't worth having. Especially when other people were pretty adequate filling in. Even Kujowhateverhisnameis played well in his absence and that kid was looking to be a total bust.

9m isn't near 10m?

The only way I trade Glenn is if I felt his feet/ankle whatever were going to be a problem for the rest of his career. If the dude is going to miss a lot of games every year then he isn't worth having. Especially when other people were pretty adequate filling in. Even Kujowhateverhisnameis played well in his absence and that kid was looking to be a total bust.

If the docs think it's a chronic thing maybe.

Yeah...I don't think Peters wanted to be in Buffalo any more regardless, man. Wasn't there an ugly hold out as well? The FO fumbled that situation. They should have given him a new contract after the 2006 season when he played, IMO, at an all-pro level at RT. They kinda screwed him over.

Ralph was cheap!!!

They had just given him a contract extension in 2006.

9m isn't near 10m?

Not really.

Peters was the best tackle in the game. He was playing for RT money. He was due to make under $4m for the next two years. He held out the year before and came in on the eve of the season. He and his agent said they wanted to be at or above 10m a year. There were two guys making around 10m I think.

The Bills refused. They didnt want to pay him 10m. It had nothing to do with an injury. The Eagles were willing to pay him 10m because that was the going rate. They gave up a one, a four and a six to get him AND pay him, wait for it, exactly 53m over four years in new money. Why? Because that made his contract 6-60. It was all about money and what he was worth.

If the docs think it's a chronic thing maybe.

Yeah that's what I mean. I know the coaching staff is trying to dump high contracts but IMO Glenn's contract is reasonable if he can play. If he cant play or play at the level he has been consistently then it becomes not worth it.

Yeah that's what I mean. I know the coaching staff is trying to dump high contracts but IMO Glenn's contract is reasonable if he can play. If he cant play or play at the level he has been consistently then it becomes not worth it.

and then he has no trade value

You have no idea of the value of things

Our OL being shaky is the single biggest problem we have going on right now......not RB....not WR.....NOT QB

Glenn manning that LT spot and Dawkins at RT solidifies that OL

Agreed. Glenn, RI, Wood, Miller, Dawkins feels pretty good. Working in Grohn somehow maybe at C wood be nice. Somehow dumping MD would be more welcomed especially if he is not going to contribute.

Trading Glenn would be puzzling at best.

It amazes me a bit the traction it gained with the media. It would thoroughly and overwhelmingly amaze me . to see Glenn gone.

for many reasons.

If it is about money? That's just silly in his case. how this falls out forms my opinion moving forward on the New Regime.

Not necessarily true.

explain please.

It amazes me a bit the traction it gained with the media. It would thoroughly and overwhelmingly amaze me . to see Glenn gone.

for many reasons.

If it is about money? That's just silly in his case. how this falls out forms my opinion moving forward on the New Regime.

explain please.

Teams will always take a chance on a player that has shown to play at a strong level. He would just need to pass a physical. The trading team usually knows more, or at least thinks they do, than the receiving team.

Part of your statement was...if he can't play......

Let me string it out to make better sense then...

Cant play consistently or cant play at a high level consistently.

Teams will always take a chance on a player that has shown to play at a strong level. He would just need to pass a physical. The trading team usually knows more, or at least thinks they do, than the receiving team.

Let me string it out to make better sense then...

Cant play consistently or cant play at a high level consistently.

It makes sense....you said if he can't play or....I was responding to the If he can't play part of your statement