What do the Bills do to fix this offense?

The reddogblitz plan to fix the offense:

1. Dust off the Greg Roman playbook and put in last year's run plays.

2. Bring back a heavy dose of read option.

3. Activate Rielly and make Zay inactive for a few games. Might send him a message to clean up his act.

4. Put in some trick plays.

5. Throw at least 5 bombs per game. Zay and K Clay have both been open long but unable to catch the football. Even if no one catches any, you'll likely get at least 1 PI and get the D to back off a little.

6. First play after a turnover in enemy territory, go for the EZ.

7. Activate Barnyard and throw more passes to RBs. Put both him and McCoy in backfield at the same time.

8. EVERYBODY play better.

Firing Rico and putting in Nasty Nate are pipe dreams.

I suspect Rico will be back next year unless he quits. Continuity.

If we suck again next year, Sean might fire Rico to keep his job.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best way to fix Offense: Draft a QB next year and then wait a while as he matures and develops into a player who can consistently produce points in the NFL.

We don't have a QB who can do that now.

So you are also in the club that says "throw the towel in on this season right now"?

3. Activate Rielly and make Zay inactive for a few games. Might send him a message to clean up his act.

5. Throw at least 5 bombs per game. Zay and K Clay have both been open long but unable to catch the football. Even if no one catches any, you'll likely get at least 1 PI and get the D to back off a little.

7. Activate Barnyard and throw more passes to RBs. Put both him and McCoy in backfield at the same time.

I suspect Rico will get back next year unless he quits. Continuity.

If we suck again next year, Sean might fire him to keep his job.

Good points.

Disagree on number 3 though if your reason is to punish Jones. He isn't failing for lack of effort. He is just failing. I don't think that is how you fix that. You fix him by throwing him a million passes in practice and by throwing him easy passes on short routes early in the next game.

They're not going to trade a high draft pick for a receiver, so scratch that.

They're not going to fire Dennison mid-season, so scratch that.

They're just going to have to ride with what they have and evaluate after the season.

I agree.

Dennison is early in his tenure with the Bills so I hope he can adjust some things and get things going.

But "hope" and "expect" are two very different words.

8. EVERYBODY play better.

I suspect Rico will be back next year unless he quits. Continuity.

If we suck again next year, Sean might fire Rico to keep his job.

When I talked about Rico making adjustments, #1 was top of mind.

So you are also in the club that says "throw the towel in on this season right now"?

Good points.

Disagree on number 3 though if your reason is to punish Jones. He isn't failing for lack of effort. He is just failing. I don't think that is how you fix that. You fix him by throwing him a million passes in practice and by throwing him easy passes on short routes early in the next game.

I don't want to punish him. I just want to light a fire under his A$$. It's been 5 weeks of he'll get over it. He's hurting us and costing us games.

How much easier of a pass can he get than the one he tipped to Holmes or the 3rd down drive killing bomb vs Falcons?

I just have to question keeping sending him out there and babying him. It's the bigs. If you don't produce, you get replaced. Ask EJ.

Not saying he'll never be good. I'm just saying a little dog house duty might do some good.

I don't want to punish him. I just want to light a fire under his A$$. It's been 5 weeks of he'll get over it. He's hurting us and costing us games.

How much easier of a pass can he get than the one he tipped to Holmes or the 3rd down drive killing bomb vs Falcons?

I just have to question keeping sending him out there and babying him. It's the bigs. If you don't produce, you get replaced. Ask EJ.

Not saying he'll never be good. I'm just saying a little dog house duty might do some good.

Your intentions are in the right place, I just don't agree with the methods.

I would think (I am not a shrink) benching him for a number of games at this point could create a major problem for him going forward if you intend to keep him on the team for years.

Imagine he starts next year and in week 6 he has a couple of bad drops - now he starts thinking he is going to get benched again - kicking himself while he is down and the problem spirals again.

A better approach is to help him work through it and keep telling him you believe in him and that he will be great in this league. Throw him easy passes to start the game if you can fit them in.

If he doesn't fix it, at some point I guess you have to bench him. I just don't think we are there yet. Not for a rookie player that you are relying on to upgrade your receiving corps.

Some of you guys are like a broken record that just keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over and over.....

How and where are you going to get a QB this year? Wasn't the premise of the thread to discuss how to fix the offense this year so the season doesn't go down the tubes?

I answered the OP. I didnt give al timeline.

I agree.

Dennison is early in his tenure with the Bills so I hope he can adjust some things and get things going.

But "hope" and "expect" are two very different words.

When I talked about Rico making adjustments, #1 was top of mind.

I don't think he's the type of OC willing to adjust to a players strength and rather the player adjust to his scheme/plays. which I haven't been impressed with. it did not work with the ryan boys who ruined a top 5 defense by forcing his scheme on players, just a cluster !@#$ of a defensive unit. is dennison too hell bent, headstrong to adjust? is he going to pull a ryan brothers? if he didn't make them in the first 5, does he do it during the bye? we'll soon find out?

just a damn shame the defense is playing lights out and the offense has declined. yes injuries, yes some lies on taylors shoulders but it does on the OC as well.

I'd like to see him replaced after the season if the offense continues to struggle.

LMAO :thumbsup::lol::lol::lol:

You sure have a way with words.

As the original post was asking what the Bills could do this year to try to fix this offense now, here is what I would suggest.

1) Take the same advice Lynn got from Bill Parcells last year - Tear half the plays out of the playbook - especially the most complicated ones that require everyone to be on the same page and require the most precise timing.

2) Get the starting QB more involved in choosing which plays to run/leave in the playbook - based on his opinion of whether he thinks the offense is likely to execute it

3) Get the starting running back more involved in choosing which running plays to leave in the playbook - based on his opinion of whether he thinks the offense is likely to execute it

4) Add a handful of ridiculously basic/simple running plays that every player on that team has been running since high school - but run them out of the shotgun instead of under center.

5) Change the focus of the offense back to trying to outplay the other player physically rather than trying to out-scheme or outsmart the opponent.

6) Call a lot more QB draws and read options.

7) Make an effort to try to stretch the field once or more on every series (more often on first down) even if those plays are not consistently resulting in big completions or touchdowns.

Way with words? You have no idea how right you are brother.

Agree with all your suggestions. I hope they listen to you.

Taylor has to get the ball out quicker. The Bills don't have a bunch of speedsters on this team. Their differentiating factor is size. Jones, Matthews and Holmes are 6-2, 6-3 and 6-5 respectively. Clay and O'Leary are 6-3. Taylor should be throwing his receivers open in lieu of waiting for plays to develop like he does. In his 34 starts with the Bills, there were only 3 weeks where he didn't wait the LONGEST on average from snap to throw. That is a ridiculous statistic.

Yes. Its so ridiculous that he takes 0.2 seconds longer to throw the ball than Brady or Rodgers. Watson who is the new NFL darling is last in the league taking 0.3 seconds longer than Tyrod.

Edited by Scott7975

Personally...if they can find a way to stabilize the OL that would go a long way toward fixing this......

Glenn at RT and Dawkins at RT where they belong

Wow two RT's. just kidding John, I know you meant Glenn at LT. The problem is. He's. had a foot problem for a long time. I don't know if a bye week will fix it.

I hope you're right as a healthy Glenn would go a long way to help our run game, which then opens up the passing game. We have to hope Mathews, and Gaines will come back after the bye.

go back to last year's blocking scheme

makes changes is what the bye week if for, so lets see what Rico rolls out week 7. may be more of the same with healthier players , may be some adds from the ole playbook. this is where coaches make their money. thank goodness the bye came early this year. things could have gone in the crapper if the bye was week 12 or similar.

Wow two RT's. just kidding John, I know you meant Glenn at LT. The problem is. He's. had a foot problem for a long time. I don't know if a bye week will fix it.

I hope you're right as a healthy Glenn would go a long way to help our run game, which then opens up the passing game. We have to hope Mathews, and Gaines will come back after the bye.

Bills.com's Chris Brown suggests LT Cordy Glenn isn't guaranteed to keep his starting role.

Glenn returned from his two-game absence last week, but didn't start. Benching him would be another questionable move from a regime that's traded away Sammy Watkins and reduced Marcell Dareus to a part-time role. Glenn is making $12M annually and clearly Buffalo's best tackle. It's possible the Bills keep rookie Dion Dawkins at left tackle coming out of their Week 6 bye, with Glenn moving to the right side.
Oct 13 - 7:17 PM

1. Let's not panic.

2. Put Groy in at RT or bring Mudge in from PS. Dawkins or Glenn still at LT.

3. Promote Reilly up to WR

4. Replace Tolbert with Banyard

5. Tell TT to throw quicker. Can not stand in the pocket.

This is the way. except i see Groy at RG, Dawkins at RT, Glenn over at LT where he belongs.

How is this not our best 5?

i still can't figure out what the fascination is with this staff and tolbert. i just want to see what banyard can do.

i know right? seems like they think tolbert is blount and he ain't. they need to switch things up a bit. i sure wish they'd bring reilly up. it would be interesting to see what they are going to do for practice/gameplanning this next week.

Yes. Its so ridiculous that he takes 0.2 seconds longer to throw the ball than Brady or Rodgers. Watson who is the new NFL darling is last in the league taking 0.3 seconds longer than Tyrod.

So youre saying Tyrod doesnt need to get the ball out quicker?

If they don't change QB then why change anything, lets get ready for the draft.

Yes. Bring in Peterman and his 54% completion rate and 5.7 ypa. Those numbers are bound to improve once teams start game planning for him. Well go from 200 yards a game passing to 75 with 3 picks. Great.

Bills.com's Chris Brown suggests LT Cordy Glenn isn't guaranteed to keep his starting role.

Glenn returned from his two-game absence last week, but didn't start. Benching him would be another questionable move from a regime that's traded away Sammy Watkins and reduced Marcell Dareus to a part-time role. Glenn is making $12M annually and clearly Buffalo's best tackle. It's possible the Bills keep rookie Dion Dawkins at left tackle coming out of their Week 6 bye, with Glenn moving to the right side.

Source: buffalobills.com

Oct 13 - 7:17 PM

Wow. Just "wow." Edited by yungmack

So youre saying Tyrod doesnt need to get the ball out quicker?

Sometimes yes he does. On average is 2 tenths of a second all that much time? Its about as fast as you can blink.

The average duration for a single blink of a human eye is 0.1 to 0.4 seconds, or 100 to 400 milliseconds, according to the Harvard Database of Useful Biological Numbers.

So if he got rid of the ball one blink of an eye faster he would be on par with Brady and Rodgers average.

Its overblown.

Edited by Scott7975

It's not madden...

What does this actually mean? You are not allowed to trade for players in the NFL? This isnt Madden is such a waste of a post. If you think it would be unrealistic to get either of those two players for a 3rd, then you are delusional. The chargers are about to go into a full rebuild. The 49ers are already in it. Either team would jump at the chance to get picks and lose salary. Youre right, its not madden. But it has nothing to do with anything. The only thing unrealistic about my suggestion, is assuming this team would actually do something to try and get better.

Glenn at RT may be the best move the team could make to help the Oline and offense. I think Glenn is the teams best tackle. But here is the question. Who is better Dawkins at LT or Mills at RT? I think its pretty obvious and most Bills fans would agree that Dawkins is doing better at LT than Mills is at RT. Than the next question is mid season who transitions to RT quicker and with more effectiveness Dawkins or Glenn? Imo with Dawkins a rookie keep him at the position that is he is more comfortable at and gives him the best chance to play well. Glenn is a pro and I believe would be a dominant RT. Schematically, the LT vs RT days are dead. Defenses attack the weaker player and teams need 2 tackles not a franchise LT and run grading RT.

What does this actually mean? You are not allowed to trade for players in the NFL? This isnt Madden is such a waste of a post. If you think it would be unrealistic to get either of those two players for a 3rd, then you are delusional. The chargers are about to go into a full rebuild. The 49ers are already in it. Either team would jump at the chance to get picks and lose salary. Youre right, its not madden. But it has nothing to do with anything. The only thing unrealistic about my suggestion, is assuming this team would actually do something to try and get better.

Its delusional to expect teams to make trades just because you want them. Midseason trades of any significance almost never happens in the NFL.

Added reps /attempts on the practice and playing field will improve chemistry and Buffalo's ability to throw the football IMO.

If the passing department gets the least amount of practice and playing reps in the league should it surprise anyone Buffalo's passing game is below average?

This offense is unfixable. They have the worst wide receiving corp in the history of the franchise. They ludicrously decided to change the only successful thing from the last 2 years, the offensive blocking scheme that had the Bills first in rushing offense for 2 straight years, and replace it with one not suitable for their talent on the O-Line. McDermott seems like a bright fella but that was Rex Ryan like dumb. I see no hope for the O till they replace the personnel on it. THAT is the problem with regime change when the incoming regime can't keep what is working and replace what is not.

The problems are obvious. The solutions are not.

I might try:

• More designed runs for Taylor, like QB draws, read options and maybe even QB sweeps.
  • More reverses and screens to Tate, who can run after catch.
  • A limited package for Peterman, who is a better scheme fit, to play 5 to 10 plays per game. It will open up a part of their current playbook that they just can't use right now and will be helpful keep opponents off balance. It will also help to evaluate Peterman and give him experience.
  • 1 or 2 gimmick plays per game, like a flea flicker or throw back pass, to try and get a big play and reduce the need for a long drive. I would probably avoid fake punts because those can hurt the defense.
  • 3 or 4 all streaks type plays where they go deep to try and stretch the defense regardless of coverage. Maybe the get lucky, maybe they don't but at least they put in into the defense's minds and if it's intercepted then it's probably as good as a punt.

....TT may or may not be the answer and I have NO interest in fueling that debate here....BUT........is my observation wrong in that Dennison is NOT making use of his mobility and athleticism versus forcing his beloved "system" on a guy who does not fit the pocket passer type and probably is not a part of the long term plan/process(a word that is beginning to nauseate me)?.....are we sacrificing potential W's to prove the system/warm his chestnuts? .......a coaching staff can have a philosophy and system but I judge their wherewithal on their ability to adapt to the personnel on the team......hell even Mikey Ditka said, "you can have THE best system in the world, but if you don't have the PERSONNEL to execute it, you'll fail"....either I'm a fossil or missed the memo....or ...BOTH.............

They just have the be better up front. Joe B and others have written that Dennison has changed some of the plays to have less zone schemes vs. what they were doing last year. But the run game is still inconsistent.

Try Glenn at RT, and maybe Groy at RG. I know they want to keep Groy in reserve to back up at C but get the best 5 guys you can out there.

Win the battle in the trenches, everything opens up.

Good points.

I totally agree with this

Glenn at RT. Attack his side with outside zone and power. Help the run game. Get that going it wont matter who plays WR or TE.

...Dennison getting off his effin' pedestal and exploiting Taylor's athleticism to diversify this offense........NOT disputing Taylor's read/progression liabilities to find those open...right now, >6 yds is a deep route (COUGH)....probably not the long term answer in this omnipotent "end all cure all system to the Big Dance", but a GOOD coaching staff adjusts to the personnel they have to work with....W's or egos?...seriously?.....

....TT may or may not be the answer and I have NO interest in fueling that debate here....BUT........is my observation wrong in that Dennison is NOT making use of his mobility and athleticism versus forcing his beloved "system" on a guy who does not fit the pocket passer type and probably is not a part of the long term plan/process(a word that is beginning to nauseate me)?.....are we sacrificing potential W's to prove the system/warm his chestnuts? .......a coaching staff can have a philosophy and system but I judge their wherewithal on their ability to adapt to the personnel on the team......hell even Mikey Ditka said, "you can have THE best system in the world, but if you don't have the PERSONNEL to execute it, you'll fail"....either I'm a fossil or missed the memo....or ...BOTH.............

Myself personally, Dennison can't modify the whole O to fit a QB that struggles in the pocket. Its not a problem normally associated with a QB in my humble opinion.

Increased reps in the passing game to build chemistry and speed up the Zay Jones learning curve would help IMO.

Shady can catch...

Edited by Figster