What do the Bills do to fix this offense?

Some of you guys are like a broken record that just keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over and over.....

How and where are you going to get a QB this year? Wasn't the premise of the thread to discuss how to fix the offense this year so the season doesn't go down the tubes?

We all want to save the season, so we all discuss it on here with opinions.

The broken record that just keeps on spinning about QB because it's the main problem in my opinion.

The question was how do you fix this offense this season. It was asked and I gave a answer just because you dont like it doesnt mean my answer is wrong and yours is right.

Some of the posters answered to change the QB and if Peterman doesn't work your no better off then the one that is stinking it up now. Your getting so upset about our answer to the question but without the main ingredient working the rest will fail.

It's like making a omelet with expired eggs, it looks good but it will get you sick even though the rest of the ingredients are good and fresh.

So my answer like many others is to change the QB, use Peterman. You don't like it and that's fine but I do, thats why this is a opinion based board there is different opinions on each subject.

How and where are you going to get a QB this year? Wasn't the premise of the thread to discuss how to fix the offense this year so the season doesn't go down the tubes?

Already answered. P E T E R M A N

Edited by xRUSHx

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LMAO :thumbsup::lol::lol::lol:

You sure have a way with words.

As the original post was asking what the Bills could do this year to try to fix this offense now, here is what I would suggest.

1) Take the same advice Lynn got from Bill Parcells last year - Tear half the plays out of the playbook - especially the most complicated ones that require everyone to be on the same page and require the most precise timing.

2) Get the starting QB more involved in choosing which plays to run/leave in the playbook - based on his opinion of whether he thinks the offense is likely to execute it

3) Get the starting running back more involved in choosing which running plays to leave in the playbook - based on his opinion of whether he thinks the offense is likely to execute it

4) Add a handful of ridiculously basic/simple running plays that every player on that team has been running since high school - but run them out of the shotgun instead of under center.

5) Change the focus of the offense back to trying to outplay the other player physically rather than trying to out-scheme or outsmart the opponent.

6) Call a lot more QB draws and read options.

7) Make an effort to try to stretch the field once or more on every series (more often on first down) even if those plays are not consistently resulting in big completions or touchdowns.

That's fine advice. A week from this Sunday we will know if McD and Rico came to the same conclusion. I'm hoping they do.

Already answered. P E T E R M A N

so in your opinion, peterman is going to fix the offense or the QB position?

fortunately that is just your opinion and the coaching staff doesn't base decisions off fans opinions.

my opinion, no way peterman is going to fix the QB position or the offense for that matter. but, I know some are enthralled with the new kid who hasn't even taken a snap at the nfl level in games that mean anything. some even thought/think he was so great in preseason that he could be the answer, the savior. how many of those type players have passed through the last 20 years.

taylor, barring injury, will remain the starter. they will fix the offense and QB position through the draft and fa next off season. in my opinion.

funny, I recall in the gameday thread during the falcons win one poster even posted he would kiss him, referring to taylor. the cincy loss sure turned those who were in praise against him with a quickness. no kiss for you tyrod.

they'll ride with him for the rest of the season but the cincy game really disappointed me on the offensive side of the ball and it just showed what pretty much everyone has been aware of with taylor, inconsistent. you don't make the post season being inconsistent and if his record of inconsistency wasn't there, I could say it was just one bad game, but history says otherwise.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

We all want to save the season, so we all discuss it on here with opinions.

The broken record that just keeps on spinning about QB because it's the main problem in my opinion.

The question was how do you fix this offense this season. It was asked and I gave a answer just because you dont like it doesnt mean my answer is wrong and yours is right.

Some of the posters answered to change the QB and if Peterman doesn't work your no better off then the one that is stinking it up now. Your getting so upset about our answer to the question but without the main ingredient working the rest will fail.

It's like making a omelet with expired eggs, it looks good but it will get you sick even though the rest of the ingredients are good and fresh.

So my answer like many others is to change the QB, use Peterman. You don't like it and that's fine but I do, thats why this is a opinion based board there is different opinions on each subject.

Here is the post I read from you and responded to:

When the Bills find a franchise worthy QB only then QB won't be all over fans minds. It's been a problem for so long you would think OBD would spend 4 or 5 drafts to get a couple to make sure they have the best chance to land one not constantly using other teams backups for the starter roll here. It all starts with the QB without one this team isn't going very far.

So my opinion on this is nobody is safe on offense but to fix it you need a QB to run it, without it your driving a Prius at a NASCAR race.

That looks to me like you were saying the Bills need to draft a QB. Which is why I responded by asking what do you do to fix it this year.

You could have just responded with "I would put in Peterman and that would fix the major problems with the offense."

You said that I am getting so upset? No sir. Certainly not. Did I do something to suggest I was?

I am/was simply trying to get people to discuss the topic at hand instead of dwelling on the ever reoccurring "Tyrod completely sucks" theme. Other topics, like the original thread question are more interesting.

Man you are touchy dude.

For the record, I do disagree with the idea that putting in Peterman is going to fix this offense. There are a lot more things wrong with it than just the QB. And I don't think there is a good enough QB on the roster right now to fix the problem by himself - Hell I'm not sure there is one in the NFL to be honest. So, no, I don't agree that Peterman is going to do that by himself. :D

That's fine advice. A week from this Sunday we will know if McD and Rico came to the same conclusion. I'm hoping they do.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by PolishDave

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

They wait until next year to start fixing it.

Here is the post I read from you and responded to:

That looks to me like you were saying the Bills need to draft a QB. Which is why I responded by asking what do you do to fix it this year.

You could have just responded with "I would put in Peterman and that would fix the major problems with the offense."

You said that I am getting so upset? No sir. Certainly not. Did I do something to suggest I was?

I am/was simply trying to get people to discuss the topic at hand instead of dwelling on the ever reoccurring "Tyrod completely sucks" theme. Other topics, like the original thread question are more interesting.

Man you are touchy dude.

For the record, I do disagree with the idea that putting in Peterman is going to fix this offense. There are a lot more things wrong with it than just the QB. And I don't think there is a good enough QB on the roster right now to fix the problem by himself - Hell I'm not sure there is one in the NFL to be honest. So, no, I don't agree that Peterman is going to do that by himself. :D

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Very nicely said I respect your opinion.

What I did say at the end of that was:

So my opinion on this is nobody is safe on offense but to fix it you need a QB to run it, without it your driving a Prius at a NASCAR race.

I said nobody is safe on offense so another words any position could be changed up/replaced. What I also am trying to point out is in my opinion is that it really doesn't matter what you change if the QB remains the same.

So in my opinion I don't want them using draft picks to fix this offense but trades or FAs bring them in. I would like to see them start the process of moving on from Tyrod because I believe using Peterman in this system will help many of the players on this offense, because in my opinion Peterman will run this offense better then Tyrod. He's young so sure he will have growing pains but playing him will also give him experience for years to come.

Many coordinators have tried to make Tyrod a better QB and everyone of them had no choice but to dumb down there own system to help Tyrod move the chains. I feel bad for our OC he is already on his last leg with many Just because people are comparing him to the last staffs scheme that also had to be simplified.

How about Tyrod learns this new system and runs it correctly, oh that's right Tyrod needs a Taylor made scheme because it's all he can run so now this new staff has to hold up the team learning and trusting the new system because our leader can't do it.

At first I figured "Clay's out, we're going to sign Barnidge on Monday - no brainer." Considering it's Friday and there was a FA TE that could have helped us out and we haven't signed him I think they'll just keep churning the practice squad and hope some nobody turns out to be good; not very comforting. If they were going to make moves, the best time to do that would have been early this week so the new player could get in 2 weeks learning a new system. I doubt we see any trades or significant roster moves now.

Edited by ndirish1978

Very nicely said I respect your opinion.

What I did say at the end of that was:

I said nobody is safe on offense so another words any position could be changed up/replaced. What I also am trying to point out is in my opinion is that it really doesn't matter what you change if the QB remains the same.

So in my opinion I don't want them using draft picks to fix this offense but trades or FAs bring them in. I would like to see them start the process of moving on from Tyrod because I believe using Peterman in this system will help many of the players on this offense, because in my opinion Peterman will run this offense better then Tyrod. He's young so sure he will have growing pains but playing him will also give him experience for years to come.

Many coordinators have tried to make Tyrod a better QB and everyone of them had no choice but to dumb down there own system to help Tyrod move the chains. I feel bad for our OC he is already on his last leg with many Just because people are comparing him to the last staffs scheme that also had to be simplified.

How about Tyrod learns this new system and runs it correctly, oh that's right Tyrod needs a Taylor made scheme because it's all he can run so now this new staff has to hold up the team learning and trusting the new system because our leader can't do it.

You are still trying your hardest to make this entire thread about Tyrod. :lol:

It doesn't have to be dude.

You said put Peterman in. Great. What else? Is that all you do? Or do you honestly believe that is all it is going to take?

At first I figured "Clay's out, we're going to sign Barnidge on Monday - no brainer." Considering it's Friday and there was a FA TE that could have helped us out and we haven't signed him I think they'll just keep churning the practice squad and hope some nobody turns out to be good; not very comforting. If they were going to make moves, the best time to do that would have been early this week so the new player could get in 2 weeks learning a new system. I doubt we see any trades or significant roster moves now.

I don't think they are going to be doing too many roster moves that cost too much money, I think they are going to ride it out with keeping the roster price down. Should I say silent tank job, maybe not but with no moves being done it sure looks to me like they are thinking more about next year then this year.

You are still trying your hardest to make this entire thread about Tyrod. :lol:

It doesn't have to be dude.

You said put Peterman in. Great. What else? Is that all you do? Or do you honestly believe that is all it is going to take?

Well it's the start that needs to be done first in my opinion to see what is truly broken. It's like buying a racecar team, when the racecar isn't placing well but you think you have the power you then replace the driver that is timid in the turns and is not going full throttle. Will it work? Maybe maybe not but it's better then spending a fortune on a whole new racecar especially when you have a young driver wanting the job sitting right in the pits. After two full seasons of a track record of things having to be simplified I tend to think the answer is staring everyone right in the face.

So my answer is take the head of the snake off and see what follows so next season they know who stays and who goes for this new system and maybe along the way the rookie pulls out a great season.

Edited by xRUSHx

I don't think they are going to be doing too many roster moves that cost too much money, I think they are going to ride it out with keeping the roster price down. Should I say silent tank job, maybe not but with no moves being done it sure looks to me like they are thinking more about next year then this year.

Well it's the start that needs to be done first in my opinion to see what is truly broken. It's like buying a racecar team, when the racecar isn't placing well but you think you have the power you then replace the driver that is timid in the turns and is not going full throttle. Will it work? Maybe maybe not but it's better then spending a fortune on a whole new racecar especially when you have a young driver wanting the job sitting right in the pits. After two full seasons of a track record of things having to be simplified I tend to think the answer is staring everyone right in the face.

So my answer is take the head of the snake off and see what follows so next season they know who stays and who goes for this new system.

So, in a round about way, it sounds like you are saying - Put Peterman in - If that doesn't fix it by itself - don't care - chalk this season up as lost - wait till next year to do anything else of significance. Did I get that right?

The far too common opinion on here that the only real thing wrong with this offense is Tyrod Taylor is laughable. And, anyone who thinks that Peterman will be able to make some magic with such a poor receiving squad is delusional. IMO, if we stick Peterman in with this receiving corp, we will not win a game.

I don't know the answer to this question, but how many receivers got their hands on the ball last week and failed to reel it in? TT is not the biggest problem on our offense. Give him two decent receivers who can catch the damn ball, including one who can be some sort of deep threat (we have none), and TT's numbers improve immediately.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Good o-line play is the key to building a dominant offense. You can't have a dominant offense without very good offensive line play. And when your offensive line sucks, well, chances are your offense is going to suck. The Bills haven't had a good pass blocking offensive line in many years.

As far as Ducasse goes, as bad as he sucks, he was one of the better guys last week - at least in the run game. What does that say about the other guys? Yikes!

I agree

So, in a round about way, it sounds like you are saying - Put Peterman in - If that doesn't fix it by itself - don't care - chalk this season up as lost - wait till next year to do anything else of significance. Did I get that right?

Well sort of, but not a end all. Yes put in Peterman but then evaluate the other positions for this scheme our new OC wants to run after a game or two of Peterman. With Tyrod the entire offense is failing this scheme but with Peterman it might not be as bad as what we have witnessed. I'd rather have our new OC run his scheme then dumb down the scheme just so Tyrod might get a extra drive or two but still come up short because he is still playing timid. Edited by xRUSHx

Well sort of, but not a end all. Yes put in Peterman but then evaluate the other positions for this scheme our new OC wants to run after a game or two of Peterman. With Tyrod the entire offense is failing this scheme but with Peterman it might not be as bad as what we have witnessed. I'd rather have our new OC run his scheme then dumb down the scheme just so Tyrod might get a extra drive or two but still come up short because he is still playing timid.

I assume they are already playing the QB they think is the best on the roster.

I would rather have my OC adjust to my best players, whoever they are. I say do it this year this game.

Next year I expect them to start the best QB on the roster again whoever that is - and adjust to his strengths as well as the strengths of the other personnel on the team. Not doing so is stupid. Unless you like losing.

No reason you can't choose which plays to practice most and call in games based on your starting QB. You can change those things week to week if you want to.

There is something about football and this Buffalo Bills team that Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn and Aaron Kromer know and understand way better than Rick Dennison and Juan Castillo do.

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

Best way to fix Offense: Draft a QB next year and then wait a while as he matures and develops into a player who can consistently produce points in the NFL.

We don't have a QB who can do that now.

1. Let's not panic.

2. Put Groy in at RT or bring Mudge in from PS. Dawkins or Glenn still at LT.

3. Promote Reilly up to WR

4. Replace Tolbert with Banyard

5. Tell TT to throw quicker. Can not stand in the pocket.

This plus switch up the blocking scheme to last year's and we'll be in decent shape. Give it to Shady all day.