What do the Bills do to fix this offense?

They're not turning to Peterman with the team in contention. Love for Tyrod has nothing to do with the fact that he's the best on the team at this juncture. Your whining won't change a thing.

You're right Tyrod's the best game manager we have at QB right now that could take us to the playoffs, that said this offseason you've got to think Beane's going to be looking for his replacement.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're not turning to Peterman with the team in contention. Love for Tyrod has nothing to do with the fact that he's the best on the team at this juncture. Your whining won't change a thing.

He's the best they have? Then it's over already, pack the bags. You dont know what Peterman will do and neither do I. I do know Tyrod isn't good enough and can't play this scheme and I do know Peterman can play this scheme. I'd take the chance and make the change. At least try over just continuing to bang the head against the wall wishing Tyrod can turn into something he is not. I have seen enough of Tyrod to know it was over last season for him. Edited by xRUSHx

Changing the qb will not better the chances of this team winning. Lets be honest.

Keeping Tyrod as the starter doesn't increase the chances if teams already know how to stop him. This offense is very limited in what they can do with Tyrod as the starter. If the OC wants to play his scheme they won't move the ball enough with Tyrod and in my opinion it will decrease the chance of winning or even moving the chains because of his limitations. Starting a young QB that has a quick release plays right into what this OC is trying to use so you would think that would increase the chance at success. Edited by xRUSHx

He's the best they have? Then it's over already, pack the bags. You dont know what Peterman will do and neither do I. I do know Tyrod isn't good enough and can't play this scheme and I do know Peterman can play this scheme. I'd take the chance and make the change. At least try over just continuing to bang the head against the wall wishing Tyrod can turn into something he is not. I have seen enough of Tyrod to know it was over last season for him.

Keep posting that. In fact send text messages, emails, and tweets to OBD and I'm sure they'll eventually take your advice. Wait. You don't know what Peterman will do, but you do?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He's the best they have? Then it's over already, pack the bags. You dont know what Peterman will do and neither do I. I do know Tyrod isn't good enough and can't play this scheme and I do know Peterman can play this scheme. I'd take the chance and make the change. At least try over just continuing to bang the head against the wall wishing Tyrod can turn into something he is not. I have seen enough of Tyrod to know it was over last season for him.

The Bills have no credible WRs, and the loss of Clay makes the situation even worse. That's the beginning and end of the conversation with regard to qb productivity, I think.

It's all Tyrods fault. Yet if you look at statistics (aka facts) you find that Tyrod actually put up very respectable numbers when he had a healthy Watkins & Woods in the lineup (aka a "normal" 1 and 2).

How many QBs are going to look good throwing to:

- A likely second round bust

- The oakland raiders' 5th WR from last season (who is now our #2)

- 2 career special teamers

- No more Charles Clay

Seriously.

The thing that excited me most about Watkins FINALLY being healthy this season was "WOW! Tyrod is FINALLY going to have some continuity with his #1 receiver and might even have a chance of developing chemistry with him like he started to in 2015!"

.....aaand he's GONE!

I think the sad reality is that most QBs would do worse than Tyrod with these receiving options because they can't get open and/or catch the ball (Zay Jones) but at least Tyrod can sometimes make plays on his own even though the system he is in discourages him to do so.

Edited by BobBelcher

Keep posting that. In fact send text messages, emails, and tweets to OBD and I'm sure they'll eventually take your advice.

Come on man we are just talking about different opinions on the subject on a message board. If you think there is a better solution to fixing the offense talk about it. I never said that my opinion means anything I'm just talking like everyone else posting opinions. I respect your opinions but I just disagree, did I tell you a snarky remark when talking to you?

The Bills have no credible WRs, and the loss of Clay makes the situation even worse. That's the beginning and end of the conversation with regard to qb productivity, I think.

Change at QB would show What we have, if Peterman can make it work with these guys we would know more about them, with keeping Tyrod everyone stinks and they all need replacment so it's like you said why bother it's over.

It's all Tyrods fault. Yet if you look at statistics (aka facts) you find that Tyrod actually put up very respectable numbers when he had a healthy Watkins & Woods in the lineup (aka a "normal" 1 and 2).

How many QBs are going to look good throwing to:

- A likely second round bust

- The oakland raiders' 5th WR from last season (who is now our #2)

- 2 career special teamers

- No more Charles Clay

Seriously.

The thing that excited me most about Watkins FINALLY being healthy this season was "WOW! Tyrod is FINALLY going to have some continuity with his #1 receiver and might even have a chance of developing chemistry with him like he started to in 2015!"

.....aaand he's GONE!

I think the sad reality is that most QBs would do worse than Tyrod with these receiving options because they can't get open and/or catch the ball (Zay Jones) but at least Tyrod can sometimes make plays on his own even though the system he is in discourages him to do so.

Look at the New York Giants receiving core, it's a lot worse IMHO and yet Eli finds a way to get at least 1 TD passing each game. I'm tired of the TT excuse makers as good QBs find ways to get the most of their WRs.

Edited by The Jokeman

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

I don't think the answer is on this team to be frank. The biggest issue is TT. He hangs on to the ball far to long, doesn't know how to throw a receiver open.....and so on. We ALL know the list of issues he has. You can put Peterman in but with the O-line issues being so unstable, that may turn into a nightmare since he's not as mobile as TT.

Stabilizing the O-line would go a long way in helping some of the issues with the run game but it won't help much on pass plays when your QB is holding on to the ball forever. What I think they need to do with TT is to give him an internal time with a 3 second rule. You have 3 seconds to release the ball....period unless on a designed role out. If in those 3 seconds he can't throw a receiver open or to an open receiver, he needs to escape the pocket and release or run. Running being the last option. If he still can't pull the trigger and get the ball out, then he needs to sit.

As far as receivers, other than Clay, we are completely devoid of talent. I am not really including Zay in with the group since he is a rookie and still learning but at the same time he hasn't shown even a glimmer of talent for a #1 WR. You can call Riley or Dupre or whom ever you want up from the PS, but they are all slot receivers. None of them have any real size or blazing speed so whats the point. As for pulling someone off the street, who's out there that is or was any good? What will be available will be bottom of barrel quality or old veterans that have "retired" that no longer have the speed to compete, or the talent to be any better than what we already have....which is very sad.

Edited by BigPappy

Look at the New York Giants receiving core, it's a lot worse IMHO and yet Eli finds a way to get at least 1 TD passing each game. I'm tired of the TT excuse makers as good QBs find ways to get the most of their WRs.

worse??? Brandon marshall, sterling shepard, beckham, evan ingram.... Are you on drugs?

Actually this was the Bill's coaching staffs/FO tanking plan all along.

Pathetic that they flushed the season down the drain week 2 of preseason trading Watkins, who was healthy and developing a rapport with TT and then making excuses.

This offense could have been perfectly fine and they just didn't care.

They're not going to trade a high draft pick for a receiver, so scratch that.

They're not going to fire Dennison mid-season, so scratch that.

They're just going to have to ride with what they have and evaluate after the season.

Evaluate what? How they can put more lipstick on the pig they've given McDermott so that there's not a mass revolt by season ticket holders next year? They don't have an NFL caliber receiving corps except for Clay and Matthews. They have no depth on the OL, so when an OLer gets hurt -- which happens regularly -- they have to depend upon the likes of Vlad Ducasse. They have Shady and ? as RBs, so they have no depth there, either. Do you really think Mike Tolbert can be a feature back for even 1 game?

Personally...if they can find a way to stabilize the OL that would go a long way toward fixing this......

Glenn at RT and Dawkins at RT where they belong

Glenn at LT and Dawkins at RT would help but Glenn needs to get healthy first. That doesn't really do much for the fact that they need a better back to spell Shady than Tolbert or that their current receiving corps probably isn't good enough to play for the UB Bulls. The only two NFL caliber receivers on the team are Clay and Matthews and both are hurt.

All I know is they can't continue to think they're just fine with what they have around Taylor. He's a QB that needs a strong supporting cast in order to win. All they have right now is McCoy and a run game that they can't get working. They need to step back from whatever they've been doing and look at what's worked in the past and try to find a way to implement those things back into the system.

I feel like they're not doing all they can to put the offense in a position to succeed by fielding the current group of WRs they have. None of them can get separation, none of them are a threat to stretch the field and the one that's presumed to be the most talented of the bunch at the moment can't find his hands. Of course they all need to play, practice and prepare better but even if they take those steps, this WR/pass catching group is comprised of a bunch of low-level players that wouldn't start on most teams. They don't have a go-to pass catcher for when the run game isn't clicking. And they can't rely on the run game because the OL is still trying to fine tune Dennison and Castillo's concepts.

I just don't understand coaches insistence on running their scheme and doing things their way. I've always believed a team is at its best when coaches coach to the natural strengths of their players. For the past two seasons this team has been an excellent running team, what they were doing was working extremely well. A new batch of coaches comes in, sees that and says, "Hmm, while it does appear to be very effective, I'm still going to scrap all of it and start fresh with all of the stuff that I know how to coach." I'm not saying do exactly as Roman/Lynn did, but at least keep some of those elements in the game plan while introducing some of your own. Instead they took the last two seasons they spent perfecting that scheme and tossed it in favor of a scheme that doesn't seem to be outfitted very well for this current group of players on offense.

Excellent post. Dennison wants to pass to set up the run, but with the receivers he's got, he probably should run to set up the pass instead because the WRs are just awful ... and with Clay out, the TEs become almost as bad.

Nothing can be done with that WR corp. Not one guy out there should be playing in the NFL right now. Jones is awful. Poor route runner, cant get seperation, and worse hes not catching the ball. Defenses have no fear of the bills going deep. theyll finish 5-11/6-10

Agreed. Too many fans refuse to accept that reality. The Bills sent their entire WR corps from last year -- Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin, which was probably the most talented bunch they've had in about 15 years --packing and replaced them with JAGs, Never-Weres, Has-Beens, and ST refugees. They sold fans on the idea that these scrubs are "just as good" as the NFL caliber WRs they kicked to the curb, and for a few weeks it worked, primarily because Charles Clay and Shady at RB have been masking some of the deficiencies of the WRs. The injury to Clay ripped the mask off totally. My guess is that it's going to get worse as DCs collect film on what the Bills try to do on offense.

Good QBs throw WRs open. When a QB holds the ball and doesn't throw it's all on the QB. The entire offense fails when The QB is a deer in headlights. The QB controls the offense and moves the chains. Teams game plan to stop the run and force Tyrod to Throw? Why? Because it's proven when pushed to be a QB he fails.

Your love for a backup QB talent is foolish. Keep pounding that round peg in a square hole and this team will end up where many thought they would this season, 6 wins at best.

Even Aaron Rodgers couldn't throw the scrubs the Bills had on the field yesterday open. None of the Bills current starting WRs would make any other NFL team except as STs. Lie to yourself and scapegoat Taylor if it makes you feel happy but it doesn't make it true.

Who among the Bills WRs is at least half as good as Odell Beckham? Oh, in case you don't follow the NFL except as it pertains to FFB, the Giants are 0-5 despite having a good defense, and they're further in the toilet because they've lost Beckham for the season. Their other two WRs are out, too.