What do the Bills do to fix this offense?

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're not going to trade a high draft pick for a receiver, so scratch that.

They're not going to fire Dennison mid-season, so scratch that.

They're just going to have to ride with what they have and evaluate after the season.

They should ride it out, I agree. In doing so they have to use what that have and so far they have not used TT on zone reads and that was the best part of his game the past 2 season.

They're not going to trade a high draft pick for a receiver, so scratch that.

They're not going to fire Dennison mid-season, so scratch that.

They're just going to have to ride with what they have and evaluate after the season.

Well, that sounds uneventful, but, exactly what the bills will do. I cant blame them for not having the knee jerk reaction some fans are having. Hopefully they realize this team lacks speed on the offensive side and address that in next years draft.

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

See if Whaley will come back to the Bills to find mid-season players. The only thing he did well.

I dont think anything is going to happen. More up and down games. The Bengals have a top 5 scoring defense and they were playing for their season yesterday.

There are about 10 Tyrod threads on the first page; however, this offense was built to run the ball. We cant run the ball at all under Dennison. Its not rocket science.

1. Let's not panic.

2. Put Groy in at RT or bring Mudge in from PS. Dawkins or Glenn still at LT.

3. Promote Reilly up to WR

4. Replace Tolbert with Banyard

5. Tell TT to throw quicker. Can not stand in the pocket.

How many teams cut Groy as a tackle? Let him be the shot armed center he was born to be.

1. Let's not panic.

2. Put Groy in at RT or bring Mudge in from PS. Dawkins or Glenn still at LT.

3. Promote Reilly up to WR

4. Replace Tolbert with Banyard

5. Tell TT to throw quicker. Can not stand in the pocket.

i still can't figure out what the fascination is with this staff and tolbert. i just want to see what banyard can do.

You can like it or not, but when McDermott says "we need to work harder," "we need to watch the film and improve," and "I'm confident in the guys that we have" he is not joking. It may be coach-speak, but it is also 100% his mentality.

We are not changing the QB or trading for a WR over the bye week.

It would be nice to have talent oozing out of every position, but the truth is that teaching Logan Thomas how to hold the edge for that extra half second or teaching Zay Jones how to run that fade route is the difference in this game. Those little things can happen during the course of the year.

Furthermore, good teams figure out what they have in the first half of the year and try to have that solidified for the 2nd half. If we can get to 5-3 at the midway point (and personally I think 6-2 is in play), we are going to be in position.

All I know is they can't continue to think they're just fine with what they have around Taylor. He's a QB that needs a strong supporting cast in order to win. All they have right now is McCoy and a run game that they can't get working. They need to step back from whatever they've been doing and look at what's worked in the past and try to find a way to implement those things back into the system.

I feel like they're not doing all they can to put the offense in a position to succeed by fielding the current group of WRs they have. None of them can get separation, none of them are a threat to stretch the field and the one that's presumed to be the most talented of the bunch at the moment can't find his hands. Of course they all need to play, practice and prepare better but even if they take those steps, this WR/pass catching group is comprised of a bunch of low-level players that wouldn't start on most teams. They don't have a go-to pass catcher for when the run game isn't clicking. And they can't rely on the run game because the OL is still trying to fine tune Dennison and Castillo's concepts.

I just don't understand coaches insistence on running their scheme and doing things their way. I've always believed a team is at its best when coaches coach to the natural strengths of their players. For the past two seasons this team has been an excellent running team, what they were doing was working extremely well. A new batch of coaches comes in, sees that and says, "Hmm, while it does appear to be very effective, I'm still going to scrap all of it and start fresh with all of the stuff that I know how to coach." I'm not saying do exactly as Roman/Lynn did, but at least keep some of those elements in the game plan while introducing some of your own. Instead they took the last two seasons they spent perfecting that scheme and tossed it in favor of a scheme that doesn't seem to be outfitted very well for this current group of players on offense.

Taylor has to get the ball out quicker. The Bills don't have a bunch of speedsters on this team. Their differentiating factor is size. Jones, Matthews and Holmes are 6-2, 6-3 and 6-5 respectively. Clay and O'Leary are 6-3. Taylor should be throwing his receivers open in lieu of waiting for plays to develop like he does. In his 34 starts with the Bills, there were only 3 weeks where he didn't wait the LONGEST on average from snap to throw. That is a ridiculous statistic.

There aren't really any practical solutions for the QB or WR position at the time, so I'd begin by adjusting what we can. The first step would be scrapping the zone blocking scheme. I understand that our lack of a pass game impacts the running game, but lets see if a change would help the run game. We all know it will never happen since zone blocking is Dennison's mo. I just think that it might be beneficial. Too bad that NFL coaches are not versatile.

Nothing can be done with that WR corp. Not one guy out there should be playing in the NFL right now. Jones is awful. Poor route runner, cant get seperation, and worse hes not catching the ball. Defenses have no fear of the bills going deep. theyll finish 5-11/6-10

They need to scrap the zone-running scheme imo. But they won't and that is (at least why I think) Miller and Cordy are not being used. It appears as though they don't fit the scheme, says the Gospel according to Dennison. Dennison has effectively turned the top running game into less than a shell of what it has been. Now we will spend a lot of our draft picks on o-lineman.

They are who they are at this point. No chance McDermott fires Dennison at any point in the next two seasons, and Rico is running the one and only offensive he knows how to run. There's really nothing that can be changed from here on out.

We play some suspect defenses at home during the remainder of our schedule. With this defense, there are still plenty of games we should win. But no way we score over 24 points in any game this year without massive defensive / special teams help. Although as we saw this week, even that might not be enough.

You cant blame this all on TT. How can you complete passes when no one is getting open, or passes are being droppped. TT has his flaws but by no means is this all on him.

Good QBs throw WRs open. When a QB holds the ball and doesn't throw it's all on the QB. The entire offense fails when The QB is a deer in headlights. The QB controls the offense and moves the chains. Teams game plan to stop the run and force Tyrod to Throw? Why? Because it's proven when pushed to be a QB he fails.

:lol: That is ridiculous with the team heading into the bye at 3-2 with two winnable home games coming up in weeks 7 and 8. Your anti-Tyrod bias makes you look foolish.

Your love for a backup QB talent is foolish. Keep pounding that round peg in a square hole and this team will end up where many thought they would this season, 6 wins at best.

You cant blame this all on TT. How can you complete passes when no one is getting open, or passes are being droppped. TT has his flaws but by no means is this all on him.

A vital aspect of a WCO is it's a timing based offense, Tyrod has to throw the ball quicker as eluded he has to throw guys open ie to a spot that the WR is expected to be in when the ball gets there. It's the "it" that makes QBs above average but sadly I think because TT's such a great athlete that he can/could avoid hits with his legs he never develop it and most QBs can't once they this far into their careers.

Good QBs throw WRs open. When a QB holds the ball and doesn't throw it's all on the QB. The entire offense fails when The QB is a deer in headlights. The QB controls the offense and moves the chains. Teams game plan to stop the run and force Tyrod to Throw? Why? Because it's proven when pushed to be a QB he fails.

Your love for a backup QB talent is foolish. Keep pounding that round peg in a square hole and this team will end up where many thought they would this season, 6 wins at best.

They're not turning to Peterman with the team in contention. Love for Tyrod has nothing to do with the fact that he's the best on the team at this juncture. Your whining won't change a thing.