Cam Newton under fire for comment toward female reporter

YoloinOhio

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind women in sports.

But let's be real. They find hot chicks. They teach them what they need to know. They coach them on what to say. And, because they are professionals, they learn.

I would bet my son's life on the fact that ZERO of the women on TV for football, were football enthusiasts growing up. They're entertainers and they've learned their parts.

They don't know schit about running routes and Cam Newton knows it.

Should he have said it? Perhaps not. Perhaps so.

I applaud him, personally.

Is this post from 2017?

I know plenty of women, including beautiful ones, who can explain defenses and have watched football all their lives.

You should rethink yourself. There are a ton of moms wives girlfriends sisters and fans who are around football more than you. You dont have to play middle linebacker to understand an a gap.

Football is not something you need to have played to understand. And it aint rocket science. See Ryan, Rob.

Edited by BeginnersMind

Is this post from 2017?

I know plenty of women, including beautiful ones, who can explain defenses and have watched football all their lives.

You should rethink yourself. There are a ton of moms wives girlfriends sisters and fans who are around football more than you. You dont have to play middle linebacker to understand an a gap.

Football is not something you need to have played to understand. And it aint rocket science. See Ryan, Rob.

...and the objectification of women continues. "including beautiful ones"?? is this 1937? Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

I don't mind women in sports.

But let's be real. They find hot chicks. They teach them what they need to know. They coach them on what to say. And, because they are professionals, they learn.

I would bet my son's life on the fact that ZERO of the women on TV for football, were football enthusiasts growing up. They're entertainers and they've learned their parts.

They don't know schit about running routes and Cam Newton knows it.

Should he have said it? Perhaps not. Perhaps so.

I applaud him, personally.

I'd like to clarify. My previously shared sentiments are strictly with regard to the sideline reporters - and I'm sure there is a small percentage of those who are, indeed, football enthusiasts who know their stuff.

I'll also back off of my support for Cam Newton in this instance, as I misunderstood some of the details. A person (male or female) who has covered the sport as a beat reporter for years very likely has a lot of knowledge about the sport.

I think Cam's comment is immature more than anything. By most accounts, he's a very good person. What he said was borderline ignorant and the writer should be offended.

However, the abuse he's already begun to take - in my opinion - is a bit much and I'm sure it will get worse. It was wrong. It was stupid. But it's not the end of the world. Hopefully, he and Ms. Rodrigue will have a chance to discuss it one-on-one, rather than let it play out in the media.

I don't get it. Not in the least. Is the story just that he's an idiot while speaking to a reporter in a press conference, and if so...what's the game plan to address the outrage? Demand an apology for what he said, or what he thinks? And if she's offended, which would be perfectly understandable, what's the end game there? Will an apology from an idiot solve the problem, because isn't the problem that he's an idiot??

Why should there be a game plan? He's just an immature, apparently sexist guy. He got called out for it. There doesn't have to be an end game or a fake apology or anything else. The way for him to "solve the problem" is to grow up and stop saying stupid things.

Really this is more about stupidity than anything else. He's just an idiot. Why tarnish your brand needlessly, and cost yourself potentially millions of dollars in endorsements? These guys are coached on what to say and not to say. Why be an idiot? Like Plaxico shooting himself in the leg - hey, we'll give you $10M, all you have to do is not shoot yourself in the leg. BOOM!

Stupid.

Really this is more about stupidity than anything else. He's just an idiot. Why tarnish your brand needlessly, and cost yourself potentially millions of dollars in endorsements? These guys are coached on what to say and not to say. Why be an idiot? Like Plaxico shooting himself in the leg - hey, we'll give you $10M, all you have to do is not shoot yourself in the leg. BOOM!

Stupid.

In the end, you're right. It's stupid.

I feel like American society is going backwards...yeesh.

I just had a friend get fired from his job for being a huge sexist. It's something we all need to be aware of. Simply respecting others, no matter their gender, is a hard concept for many to grasp.

Most stupid questions I hear from the media come from men. Many of them have no idea what they're talking about. It's hard to argue that such a comment towards a woman comes from a good place. It's just stupid and disrespectful.

Imagine working hard at your job and being proud of what you do. Then someone dismisses it as "funny" for whatever reason. No one here would take that lightly, I'm sure.

Yup. Just about respect. I dont think Cam needs to be run out of town or tarred and feathered, but he needs to learn to just be respectful.

How often do we complain about how Rex is a blowhard and why does Skip Bayless have a job? One of the best people to follow on Twitter is Amy Trask, former Oakland Raiders executive. She knows her stuff and could give better insight than half the guys at ESPN

Why should there be a game plan? He's just an immature, apparently sexist guy. He got called out for it. There doesn't have to be an end game or a fake apology or anything else. The way for him to "solve the problem" is to grow up and stop saying stupid things.

right, so we agree, at least in part. He said something idiotic at the wrong place and the wrong time to the wrong person.

yet the story continues. every major network I saw referenced "growing outrage" against Cam Newton for controversial remarks. the reporter has circled back to say she was never given an apology.

as for him being a "sexist", I checked the website for his foundation and found it interesting. seems to have at least one woman on the board (not sure if she's a relative or close friend as other members are), and his media manager is a woman. some of the charities he supported clearly benefit underprivileged people many of whom seem to be women. People are complicated, I just don't see a need for massive wall to wall coverage here, and it seems more than a little "crowds with pitchforks" to me.

right, so we agree, at least in part. He said something idiotic at the wrong place and the wrong time to the wrong person.

yet the story continues. every major network I saw referenced "growing outrage" against Cam Newton for controversial remarks. the reporter has circled back to say she was never given an apology.

as for him being a "sexist", I checked the website for his foundation and found it interesting. seems to have at least one woman on the board (not sure if she's a relative or close friend as other members are), and his media manager is a woman. some of the charities he supported clearly benefit underprivileged people many of whom seem to be women. People are complicated, I just don't see a need for massive wall to wall coverage here, and it seems more than a little "crowds with pitchforks" to me.

the networks are SJW camps. They're making us care.

And if we don't have an opinion than by gosh we are not englightened.

Cam Newton is an insecure moron, plain and simple and those who are in the community know it. Nice guy but an idiot.

whoa. an informed and objective opinion. i think you're on the wrong board. those don't go over too well.

:thumbsup:

I miss the days you could call a co-worker sweetie, cutie, darlin. A little flirting was the norm.

Females don't miss those days. Creepy old dudes calling them pet names...

I don't get why some people think he was flirting, anyway. He clearly wasn't flirting.

I can't be one to call out Newton cause I would be up there teasing females too. Especially if they are hot.

Like if I was WH Press Secretary and I got to answer questions from dumbwit Hallie Jackson every day. I would flirt and make fun of her all the time.

My God. Perhaps this is a a joke . . .?

whoa. an informed and objective opinion. i think you're on the wrong board. those don't go over too well.

Too bad it's not, though. There's never been a sexist person who employed people of the opposite gender?

I don't see what the charity in his name has to do with anything.

Maybe he's not a sexist and this was just a slip up, but I'm just saying that talking about his charity is not a good argument.

Females don't miss those days. Creepy old dudes calling them pet names...

I don't get why some people think he was flirting, anyway. He clearly wasn't flirting.

I work with a Cornell educated mechanical female engineer. She knows more about engineering than I ever will.

Went with her on a site inspection and the creepy old dude we met said to us "So your the engineer and she's the sales?" She was pissed and I honestly didn't blame her.

I don't know why this can't just be about Cam being somewhat of an arrogant dimwit, who thinks he has moves. Some people could turn taking a deuce into a political debate these days. How pathetic.

Ask yourself...whose megaphone is making this something other than Cam being a dumbass?

I'd like to clarify. My previously shared sentiments are strictly with regard to the sideline reporters - and I'm sure there is a small percentage of those who are, indeed, football enthusiasts who know their stuff.

Glad to see you make this clarification.

I understand the NFL finds it necessary to put eye candy in front of the camera, but look around the NFL. Women are referees and coaches. They're on the field bringing medical help. They're in the booth reviewing plays.

Look in the stands. How many times do you see women fully engaged in each play?

Hell, just look at this message board. You may not agree with what they post, but chicks like BADOL and Boatdrinks are extremely knowledgeable about the game.

It probably is funny for him to talk to a woman about routes. He works with men all day and every day and has for quite some time. His norm is alpha males who play quite literally a mans game. She may know all the theories about and types of routes run but has she ever been blown up over the middle?

the networks are SJW camps. They're making us care.

And if we don't have an opinion than by gosh we are not englightened.

Cam Newton is an insecure moron, plain and simple and those who are in the community know it. Nice guy but an idiot.

when I saw the clip of the interaction I had to laugh, he really looked like an oversized 12 year old kid who just saw his first playboy as he giggled and avoided eye contact.

I work with a Cornell educated mechanical female engineer. She knows more about engineering than I ever will.

Went with her on a site inspection and the creepy old dude we met said to us "So your the engineer and she's the sales?" She was pissed and I honestly didn't blame her.

mechanical female? I want one. Can she cook?
making something out of nothing.

Great job SJW's. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen when factored to the stupid story to begin with.

Edited by Boyst62

That's what I'm saying - why leave millions on the table? So dumb.

Hmmm?

@RapSheet

Spoke with IMG/WME’s Carlos Fleming, who works with Cam on marketing: “Dannon has not terminated the agreement, nor do they have grounds to”

Cam Newton’s marketing agent Carlos Fleming says Dannon “is still using Cam Newton in advertising.” So, what does this mean? “Ask them.”

Sorry. I don't get the outrage.

Imagine if every football player talked to every female reporter like that. The NFL is a business and they rely on women being fans too. The outrage is definitely overblown, people like being angry about something, but they can't just let it go. And now Cam loses an endorsement. Private businesses don't have time for controversy, it's just easier to cut him loose.

First time I ever took a woman to a Bills game I was dreading it. Ugh. We were playing the Steelers and I got roped into this thing. Like a first date. I was in charge of a busload of Bills fans going to Rich Stadium from a Hertel Avenue bar. And she snuck on without telling me. We had a block of seats so everyone made sure she sat next to me just to mess with me.

The players were warming up before the game and I didn't even want to talk to her, and the first thing she said to me is, "Can you believe Cliff Stout's release? I think he stole it from watching Bradshaw."

Stout was the Steeler's backup QB at the time.

We dated for the next couple years.

Did she shake her head and dump you when you called Dan Manucci "the next Joe Ferguson"?

Imagine if every football player talked to every female reporter like that. The NFL is a business and they rely on women being fans too. The outrage is definitely overblown, people like being angry about something, but they can't just let it go. And now Cam loses an endorsement. Private businesses don't have time for controversy, it's just easier to cut him loose.

like what? An idiot? We are flipping out because a stupid person said something stupid? My God this country is stupid.

like what? An idiot? We are flipping out because a stupid person said something stupid? My God this country is stupid.

Who's flipping out? Cam is an idiot. He does something stupid like this pretty much every season. It doesn't excuse it every time he does. Dumb controversy but the outrage about the outrage is just as dumb. No one's burning their Panthers season tickets over this ;)