Bills Sign WR Philly Brown and Two Safeties

Doesn't mean they are good. They are winning in spite of a garbage WR corps. There's no debate. Holmes is the worst starting WR in the league. He's added absolutely nothing that any other WR couldn't have done. Nothing.

I LOVED the Watkins trade. He's almost done next to nothing either. He's had one good game with the Rams. He's been brutal in the other three. He can rot out there.

But you can't just make these moves and not fully address this glaring weakness. Hell, even if you were in the Watkins is good camp, they STILL needed a WR. The only thing that looks like will hold us back from a really good season, is going to be our WRs. And that stings.

Just because we are 3-1 has nothing to do with why we have such a glaring Achilles heal.

First of all, send me a list of every single starting WR in the NFL and their stats. Since you've made the claim that Holmes is the worst and that it can't be debated, then I presume you have this information readily available. He has at least scored a TD this year, and thus I presume every other WR in the league has done that at least once? I'm sure when you send me the stats it will show that.

What you refuse to accept is how they are structuring things. I just said it above and won't repeat here, but they have put together a system that right now is working very well. Make other teams prove they can stop it. Carolina did, but part of the system (the strong D) worked there and we almost pulled it out). You want to assume their system won't work. Why?

It is fine to have discussions and debates, but quit expressing everything as some carved in stone fact that only you have mystical knowledge about.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you caught a 1000 balls in college. So far his early NFL career he can't even catch a cold. Reilley is amazing and proved in preseason he can actually stick to the leather. Maybe Zay figures it out and gets this mental thing out of his head, but we still should give Reilley a chance sometime the end of this year.

Jones made some great catches in preseason too going against first and second team defenses. I like Reilly but he was going against guys that arent in the NFL right now.

I love all the football experts who keep yelling for Reilly. There is obviously a reason he is not playing on the 53. I don't think we have a stupid coach. Did we forget he has seen him perform in practice everyday and has spent many hours working with him, talking with him, teaching/instructing him, reviewing film on him, and he has continued to evaluate his progress every week? But because so many of you have watched him catch 11 balls in preseason you think Coach is crazy for not adding him on the 53 man roster. I liked what I saw in preseason too but lets be honest there's a reason why Coach McDermott is the coach and we are in the stands watching.

and yet no team has even made an attempt to snatch the first ballot HOFer right off the bills practice squad either. All those stupid NFL front offices that can't see what a bunch of internet arm chair GMs can see from watching a couple preseason games....

First of all, send me a list of every single starting WR in the NFL and their stats. Since you've made the claim that Holmes is the worst and that it can't be debated, then I presume you have this information readily available. He has at least scored a TD this year, and thus I presume every other WR in the league has done that at least once? I'm sure when you send me the stats it will show that.

What you refuse to accept is how they are structuring things. I just said it above and won't repeat here, but they have put together a system that right now is working very well. Make other teams prove they can stop it. Carolina did, but part of the system (the strong D) worked there and we almost pulled it out). You want to assume their system won't work. Why?

It is fine to have discussions and debates, but quit expressing everything as some carved in stone fact that only you have mystical knowledge about.

3-1 with the WRs they had, almost 4-0, playing against 3 of the last 4 Superbowl teams, and yet they are still winning and very well may continue to keep winning because they have created an offence that doesn't rely on having a superstar cast of WRs and are using the TEs and RBs more in the passing offence.but hey, they didn't bring up the HOF PS player or sign one of those available Pro Bowl WRs just sitting o the market right now so DOOMED!!!!!

Sack up. It's time to strike. I wanna go for it. Winnable game to get to 4-1. 3-0 AFC. A bye at a perfect time for us. Then two games at home, both very winnable.

It's time for management to back up the talk about winning, because the path is actually very visual.

I know it's probably too late to add anyone of any kind of playing ability. But, hopefully we see the path and go for it.

Philly Brown isn't going for it.

So you say it is too late to add someone with playing ability but then you want the Bills to "go for it" and Philly Brown isnt going for it. Which is it?

Yes we do. Holmes has caught a TD pass this season. Jones is out there and getting open, just has to regain a bit of confidence.. K Brown has gotten open deep a couple times but just missed. And P Brown comes in and fills in for a couple games while Matthews heals. Just because you don't happen to like them does not equate to having none. Stop the hyperbole.

No it is not the greatest WR core in the history of football. But they Bills, to repeat, are 3-1. And they are doing it with good defense and special teams, and an efficient offense that doesn't turn the ball over and makes good use of their TEs and running game. I suspect they will stick with that until somebody shows them they can stop it. Which is what most teams do. Only in Bills message board land do you have people that say you should change what's working.

And before it comes up, I didn't like the Sammy trade.

What's working on offense ???

If not for Our D is playing lights out we'd be 0-4 right now

The offense put up a lot of points the last two seasons,some of it wasted because of the defense and Ryan. Time for the defense to be better. And it is. so is the coaching.

Ball control. Or did you not see the long drives the last two games? Not turning the ball over. Clay is making some huge catches. Other than the Carolina game Shady is making plays. TT is using his elusiveness to make plays.

I am not saying they have some dynamic offense. What I'm saying is they have a philosophy right now that they can play strong D, rely on a kicker that's hot, and an efficient offense to win games. And it's working.

Yes, the D playing well is why they are 3-1. Why is that wrong?

I don't care if you caught a 1000 balls in college. So far his early NFL career he can't even catch a cold. Reilley is amazing and proved in preseason he can actually stick to the leather. Maybe Zay figures it out and gets this mental thing out of his head, but we still should give Reilley a chance sometime the end of this year.

Ill put my money with the NFLs GMs and coaches to evaluate a guy who is on the PS, unsigned by any NFL Team, over the TBD front office.

I love all the football experts who keep yelling for Reilly. There is obviously a reason he is not playing on the 53. I don't think we have a stupid coach. Did we forget he has seen him perform in practice everyday and has spent many hours working with him, talking with him, teaching/instructing him, reviewing film on him, and he has continued to evaluate his progress every week? But because so many of you have watched him catch 11 balls in preseason you think Coach is crazy for not adding him on the 53 man roster. I liked what I saw in preseason too but lets be honest there's a reason why Coach McDermott is the coach and we are in the stands watching.

Experts often called for Frank Reich to start. Was always a fun WGR night in the 90s after Kelly had a bad game.

I remember Thomas playing for Syracuse and was surprised he didn't do better with the Steelers. I think he's at least got some promise and may just be better suited for the Defensive scheme run by McD et. al, we shall see. Here's to hoping they found another gem among the rubbish.

they may not be game ready. Also, if you move to 53 man roster you need to keep them on there for 3 games (or they are guaranteed 3 game checks at least). In this case that makes sense with Matthews time frame. But if you need to move them off when Matthews is back, you have to waive them and you risk them getting claimed by another team. You can't just move guys back and forth to the PS. If there isn't a lot of difference between philly and Reilly (or Dupree) at this stage, better to sign the FA if they don't want to risk the developmental player.

Thanks, Yolo. Hadn't heard it described quite so well before.

'Preciatcha!

exxxxxactlyyyyyyyy people...jesus sometimes people here are beyond dumb

bring up Reilly now and he does well, what do you do with him when Matthews comes back? He wont be able to be snuck back onto the practice squad (all teams have an opp. to claim him) so we waste his developmental year....which I trust he needs

Lighten up!

Awesome. Another guy that might not be able to even be a YMCA flag all star. My god. Come on. By far, without an equal, we have the worst wide receiving corps in the league. Hands down. Especially without Matthews.

It's hard to believe that even a leading Canadian League WR isn't better than Philly Brown?

I get what we are doing, and like the direction, but we needed a WR before the season, and we still need three now.

UGH!

This isn't even our worst WR corp in he last 10 years lol

Remember when our #2 was Donald jones and our 3 was David Nelson?

Remember how none of those guys ever performed well again... Philly brown is Better than jones and atleast even with Nelson lol and we just picked him up off the street

Edited by Buffalo716

Awesome. Another guy that might not be able to even be a YMCA flag all star. My god. Come on. By far, without an equal, we have the worst wide receiving corps in the league. Hands down. Especially without Matthews.

It's hard to believe that even a leading Canadian League WR isn't better than Philly Brown?

I get what we are doing, and like the direction, but we needed a WR before the season, and we still need three now.

UGH!

How are you going to get a CFL receiver right now, they are in the middle of a season and all under contract. You are only able to get them in the off season when their contracts are up.

LOL Zay is a reception monster in NCAA for years and fights the ball in the NFL for a couple games and all of a sudden he has bad hands. Recency bias much?

Kid caught 399 balls in college. He doesn't have bad hands. To use hockey terminology, he's gripping the stick too tight right now

Yep...I think that drop against the Panthers really threw him into a mental funk. I'm not too worried about him just yet.

...if they bring Reilly up, who goes when Matthews comes back?......maybe they're looking at Philly as a rental for now............

I think as another poster mentioned, Reilly is probably not getting the call yet because they'd have to give him minimum 3 contracted games and then we would risk losing him to waivers. Hopefully he gets his shot by early next year.

exxxxxactlyyyyyyyy people...jesus sometimes people here are beyond dumb

bring up Reilly now and he does well, what do you do with him when Matthews comes back? He wont be able to be snuck back onto the practice squad (all teams have an opp. to claim him) so we waste his developmental year....which I trust he needs

...whew!....thought I was missing something.......if we're "still in the hunt" at the 3/4 pole and lose a WR to IR injury, then bring the kid up.......depending on timing, it may not even count as an accrued season.....renting Philly for now works fine and preserves long term options when Matthews returns IMO.....

Stupid decision not bringing Reilly up. This kid has amazing hands (unlike Zay) and we'll never know how good he can be if this staff doesn't at least give him a chance.

Philly Brown, wupdedo

....ok so then what do you do with Reilly when Matthews comes back?....who is the odd man out?.........rent Brown for now and save Reilly for later in the season if we're still in it come crunch time and a WR goes down to IR.......pretty simple IMO...poor Elston kid is racking up frequent flier miles...............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I think as another poster mentioned, Reilly is probably not getting the call yet because they'd have to give him minimum 3 contracted games and then we would risk losing him to waivers. Hopefully he gets his shot by early next year.

...pretty sure he'd have to remain on the active 53 post call up.....depending on when, it could count as an accrued season which may not matter because the kid has shown promise to be on the active 53 in 2018 as a keeper....