Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

Bruce and Thurman were both interviewed about it and came out in support of the players who chose to kneel.

...thank you for update....just never saw Thurmal's name mentioned in the media.....then again Kelly is the spotlight guy....when Mario was en route to Buffalo, his first stop was Kelly's house....both are avid hunters....and I got forwarded text pics that Kelly took in his back yard because there were deer and wild turkey.....he was chomping at the bit because he wanted Mario to see first hand...Mario signed and bought the house on the cul de sac across from Jimbos....LOL.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the only one who was brave this week. Now Tomlin gets to poop on the Army Vet because of some "protest" the subject of which the protesters are not even sure.

Seriously, ask all 200 kneelers what they're squabbling about and youll get 300 different answers. The sum of the reasons being "equality for me but not for thee."

Seriously, does anyone in this ITT even know what is being protested? I swear if you put every person commenting here into a room and asked them that question the answers would be more diverse than the NFL.

What exactly was brave about walking out where everyone could see you and cheer?

just speaking for old-timers like me.. and essentially for myself.. Hughes should not go there.. i know all the millennials do not get Kelly. and what he means.. but not a place i would trespass on .. JMHO.. and i do not want to exclude the non- millennials. im sure there are Kelly haters.. learned that from another thread..

Great post!

So you think this is all about spoiled millionaires disrespecting the military and flag and not about drawing attention to racial injustice? I mean it's not like rich NFL players have their lives threatened by police because they think they might be a crime suspect.

Right, I mean it's not like everyone in this country is taught from the time they are little to stand for the anthem out of respect. To deny one viewpoint to champion another doesn't further the conversation. Especially when it is done in a condescending way. People have to realize that the act of kneeling during the anthem is by definition disrespectful and that will anger some people. I understand the protest, I don't think anyone should have to work about being shot because they were born black or brown (yeah that will anger someone, my apologies) but to try and silence our shout down an opposing view fixes nothing. Facts on both sides need to be aknowledged. The protest is undertaken as is because it brings attention.

What exactly was brave about walking out where everyone could see you and cheer?

Having the courage to stand up for what he thought was right regardless of what those around him were doing? Is common sense really dead today?

ok, so about these ribs. i have them on the skillet. now what?

No you cook them and pm your your address. I'll bring the beer.

So we have seen criticism of a lot of different forms of protest. What's the preferred method for those offended by the kneeling?

Standing, with your hand over your heart and hat removed...

Really, if you're not offending people, it's not really a protest, is it?

Why all the fuss about a bunch of spoiled millionaires jumping on bandwagon? I couldn't care less what these guys think of anything other then their jobs. That said, Hughes comments were reaonsable as was Kelly's. Once all the patronizing and "me toos" subside the guys should think about what brought them to a stadium packed with thousands of people and is broadcast to millions - football.

Agreed. They are two guys voicing their different opinions. Big deal. The two people who agree on everything are...umm...

I like that they both stuck up for something and will still be part of the same community.

Go Bills.

and then playing a brutal sport against giant people who have been training for years to physically abuse and control other players, who are highly likely to resent your action, surrounded by teammates who may resent you as well?

Yeah, what's so brave about that?

Edited by OJABBA

So we have seen criticism of a lot of different forms of protest. What's the preferred method for those offended by the kneeling?

How about do it at a different time that isn't reserved for something more important than any individual statement? Or how about allowing a counter- protest right across from them that is pro- Police? You know, like what would actually happen if it was outside of their NFL sanctioned stadium showing a one sided NFL sanctioned message? Protesting during the anthem is a turn off to many and they shouldn't be surprised that not everyone is digging the message. Actually, more people would probably be receptive to it.

Haven't gone through this whole thread - but I would recommend anyone saying they don't like what Hughes said to watch the video if they haven't . To me his comments were extremely heartfelt, sincere, and even eloquent. The crux of his message was about sticking up for Shady, and teammates and expressing disappointment in Kelly not keeping his opinions in house, to be discussed directly with teammates, and not through the media. And also imploring Kelly to give constructive advice/teaching to the team, not divisive rhetoric. The whole "shouldn't be on the field" sound bite isn't the headline - and isn't even what he said

Reporter: How do you feel about Jim remaining on the sidelines before games

Hughes: Half the time I don't even realize he is there until it was pointed out to me yesterday. After the display of actions that he did it was pointed out, brought to my attention. I'm not sure I understand it. We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. We are focused on the future, focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team to our offense to our quarterback, please provide all that. We could use all the encouragement we need to find out how they won games in those days and be as successful as they were. But we're trying to bring a team together, we're trying to bring a community together, we're trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, dividing the the team, it doesn't work

Edited by stevewin

Haven't gone through this whole thread - but I would recommend anyone saying they don't like what Hughes said to watch the video if they haven't . To me his comments were extremely heartfelt, sincere, and even eloquent. The crux of his message was about sticking up for Shady, and teammates and expressing disappointment in Kelly not keeping his opinions in house, to be discussed directly with teammates, and not through the media. And also imploring Kelly to give constructive advice/teaching to the team, not divisive rhetoric. The whole "shouldn't be on the field" sound bite isn't the headline - and isn't even what he said

Hughes: Half the time I don't even realize he is there until it was pointed out to me yesterday. After the display of actions that he did it was pointed out, brought to my attention. I'm not sure I understand it. We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. We are focused on the future, focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team to our offense to our quarterback, please provide all that. We could use all the encouragement we need to find out how they won games in those days and be as successful as they were. But we're trying to bring a team together, we're trying to bring a community together, we're trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, dividing the the team, it doesn't work

ICYMI:

Jerry Hughes: "We're Trying to Bring a Nation Together" (6:35)

DE Jerry Hughes talks about the demonstrations that took place, on the Bills' sideline and around the league, prior to games this past weekend.

Jerry is normally well spoken.

completely agree. He has a passionate personality and that comes across. But overall he's very thoughtful, measured, articulate, well spoken. He comes across intelligent and knowledgeable about the different angles of this issue. Edited by YoloinOhio

completely agree. He has a passionate personality and that comes across. But overall he's very thoughtful, measured, articulate, well spoken.

I always like listening to Hughes. He really seems like a good guy. Plus he tries his ass off every down to the end of the whistle. Yeah I get mad at him for the 2-3 times a year he goes off the reservation and does something dumb. But I will gladly trade that for the whole schmear.

Anything other than standing during the Anthem is disrespectful to the nation, not unifying as some might imply. In addition it is purposely disrespectful of those US citizens who consider it to be disrespectful. It is obvious that it is meant to be an in your face show. If some people don't get that, it is a shame. It is not akin to flying the flag upside down, or half way up, it is akin to burning it. I agree with Kelly on McCoy's actions being above and beyond disrespectful. He is arrogant, and I will be surprised if the NFL is not hurt bad by this as the University of Missouri was hurt badly by its protests on its campus. The stadium is a workplace, not covered by the Bill of Rights. Not standing and being present for the Anthem is even against the NFL bylaws. Enforce your bylaws NFL. Most likely irreparable harm has already been done.

Anything other than standing during the Anthem is disrespectful to the nation, not unifying as some might imply. In addition it is purposely disrespectful of those US citizens who consider it to be disrespectful. It is obvious that it is meant to be an in your face show. If some people don't get that, it is a shame. It is not akin to flying the flag upside down, or half way up, it is akin to burning it. I agree with Kelly on McCoy's actions being above and beyond disrespectful. He is arrogant, and I will be surprised if the NFL is not hurt bad by this as the University of Missouri was hurt badly by its protests on its campus. The stadium is a workplace, not covered by the Bill of Rights. Not standing and being present for the Anthem is even against the NFL bylaws. Enforce your bylaws NFL. Most likely irreparable harm has already been done.

So many falsehoods in your post.

Perhaps the majority of posters here are NFL first and Nation second, perhaps like the globalist vs nationalist divide. No common ground.

People who disagree with you are just as much American as you are. You have no more claim to the Constitution and Flag than anyone else.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well I had two parents. Divorced when I was young. The creep showed up every so often. But mostly single parent house. With five kids. It was like Lord of the Flies.

If you came from a new clear family, you wouldn't be a sinner. Ask that one guy who posts here ... I forget his name ... take my wife to Steve Tasker, or something like that. He's prayed for me. He might pray for you.

How about do it at a different time that isn't reserved for something more important than any individual statement? Or how about allowing a counter- protest right across from them that is pro- Police? You know, like what would actually happen if it was outside of their NFL sanctioned stadium showing a one sided NFL sanctioned message? Protesting during the anthem is a turn off to many and they shouldn't be surprised that not everyone is digging the message. Actually, more people would probably be receptive to it.

We have seen players get hammered for t shirts, for interviews, for not going to the White House, for.... basically for having any public opinion.

I think we can both concede that the anthem likely isn't the most productive place and they needed to better define the cause and goals

But that also a large portion of those gripping their patriotic pearls don't truly care about anything but silencing the opposition.