What's the stupidest thing you ever bought?

Royale with Cheese

When I was in my mid 20's, I got a promotion and got a good amount of money more. For whatever reason, to reward myself, I bought a samurai sword. Paid about $300 for it and hung it above my TV in my living room. It didn't go with anything, I just wanted a samurai sword.

After my wife and I bought our house, there was no where to put it and my wife decorated the interior. I just gave it to my father in law who collects weapons.

Wasted purchase.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my wife and I bought our house, there was no where to put it and my wife decorated the interior. I just gave it to my father in law who collects weapons.

You could have asked your Father in Law how he managed not to be whipped and maybe you'd still have the samurai sword.

You could have asked your Father in Law how he managed not to be whipped and maybe you'd still have the samurai sword.

Hey man, if interior design is your thing, more power to you. I care about the outside...you know like building a fence and all the lawn care. I really don't care if this picture or photo matches the curtains but maybe you do.

Sea monkeys

or a ZIP drive. I think the monkeys lasted longer tho.

I bought a 4-track digital recorder (Boss) that recorded to zip drives (circa 1998). What a pain in the ass that was. A year later, they released a new model that recorded straight to CD.

I know someone who bought a Sabres yellow and blue recliner with the Slug on it. With shipping to California, it totaled 2 grand. Idiot purchase for sure lol.

I know someone who got a Red and Black alternate jersey, with the black circle and crossing swords. She put Sabretooth's name on the back because he'll never leave the team. Went back to Blue/Gold the next year.

Not bought, but I asked for seats from Rich Stadium when they did the renovations back in 1997, for Christmas. They are still in the same box I got them in, 20 years later, because I haven't lived anywhere that I felt I had somewhere to put them up.

I bought this extension for a garden hose to clean my gutters. Saw it on one of those cheesy TV commercials. After a few weeks it didn't arrive in the mail so I called up and they said they'd send me another.

It ended up being a flimsy aluminum extension and when I turned on the water it was flailing around completely out of control spraying water everywhere but the gutters and soaking me in the process. I felt like a putz.

A few days later the replacement came in the mail and I laughed again at my stupidity.

That's nothing.

When Donahoe was hired, WGR announced that he was going to cut RJ and keep Flutie. This caused RJ apparel to drop in price. I knew that WGR oftentimes issued flatly wrong reports and I was so confident that TD would keep RJ that I went online and bought 1 RJ jersey and 3 RJ t-shirts. I think I paid $20 total.

I was right, of course. I wore those RJ shirts for years (despite the ridicule)--I think I retired the last one last year.

Been long enough that you could wear them ironically now. Like my Sabreslug t shirt my aunt bought me last year for Christmas. She apologized because she didn't realize it at the time. But i loved it. Man, I'd wear a pink polka dot jersey and tutu if we could get the talent we had in the slug years.

My first job out of college was for essentially a boiler room. 3 months in they strongly encouraged me to buy a new BMW convertible.

3 repos later, finally figured out it was a stupid, stupid idea.

dude, i'm right there with you. in 2010, i bought a brand new bmw convertible. i always wanted one so i figured !@#$ it. now that i'm married and have a kid, i never drive it. it has a total of 13,000 miles on it, and has been in two massive accidents. it wasn't a stupid purchase i guess, just more pointless.

anyone want to buy a !@#$ed up bmw with very few miles on it?

dude, i'm right there with you. in 2010, i bought a brand new bmw convertible. i always wanted one so i figured !@#$ it. now that i'm married and have a kid, i never drive it. it has a total of 13,000 miles on it, and has been in two massive accidents. it wasn't a stupid purchase i guess, just more pointless.

anyone want to buy a !@#$ed up bmw with very few miles on it?

That purchase doesn't seem pointless, that would be a great car to have around if you aren't making any more payments on it (i'm sure from 2010). What was stupid was two major accidents to ruin it.