What's wrong with the Pats Defense? Plenty

YoloinOhio

While I don't believe the Pats are going to go 8-8. This defense is clearly very slow and lacks overall talent. The Hightower injury really hurts them too.

They literally have no one on the Dline that scares you, and they may arguably have the worst LB grouping in the entire NFL. You can improve scheme execution, but you can't improve speed; and boy are they slow.

That offense at some point will begin to click a little more I suppose, but injuries are going to hurt them big time. Anyone else notice Gronk was essentially a non factor? Even in his half-assed attempt to spike the ball after that TD that was called back, he looked like half the player he was 5yrs ago.

Again, I'm not saying they're going 8-8 any time soon, but man oh man between injuries on O, lack of talent on D, that Pats team looks quite vulnerable RIGHT NOW (i don't care about how they came back 10yrs ago).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats need DL help and bad. They'll trade for someone if they're smart. Butler traded is ideal. He looked awful

Gilmore looked amazing despite the blown play

I disagree. No one on that D looked amazing. They gave up 42 points at home to an average, to above average Chiefs offense.

in 2014 they beat the Pats* 41-14 and people questioned whether the Pats* were done. KC finished that year 9-7 and out of the playoffs :)

Good thing this is no longer 2014, correct? :flirt:

@christrapasso

If #Patriots want to become more of a vertical attack in '17, it's bad idea. Brady's downfield touch is his weakest (only weak?) attribute.

Brady was 7th in Adj. Comp % on passes of 20+yds in '16, but 11th in '15, 30th in '14 & 25th in '13. Bad relative to everything else he does

Last night, he was 2 of 10 on attempts 20+ yards downfield per @PFF. Anything w/ tons of air under it from Brady is win for the defense IMO

This has been going on for a couple of years. Brady has no deep ball left. Everything he does is underneath which is why Cooks was a bit of a head scratcher for me. He is a deep threat and I guess the idea is that he will open things up underneath but with Edelman out, Gronk not quite looking healthy, and Amendola out there isn't much underneath. I was surprised to not see more James White last night.

All of that said I won't write them off yet. I still think they are heavy super bowl favorites. I certainly enjoyed last night. The more hits Brady takes at his age the harder it will be to complete the season!

Because the one consistent has been Brady and Belicheck. As long as they are still there they have a chance.

I don't disagree. I don't think anyone is saying they don't have a chance. They aren't going 4-12; 6-10; or 8-8. But that offense has major injuries. Gronk isn't 23 anymore; and that defense may literally have the least amount of talent of any BB defense in the last decade.

Of course they have a chance, but this is 2017 and anything prior to now is irrelevant in the NFL.

While I don't believe the Pats are going to go 8-8. This defense is clearly very slow and lacks overall talent. The Hightower injury really hurts them too.

They literally have no one on the Dline that scares you, and they may arguably have the worst LB grouping in the entire NFL. You can improve scheme execution, but you can't improve speed; and boy are they slow.

That offense at some point will begin to click a little more I suppose, but injuries are going to hurt them big time. Anyone else notice Gronk was essentially a non factor? Even in his half-assed attempt to spike the ball after that TD that was called back, he looked like half the player he was 5yrs ago.

Again, I'm not saying they're going 8-8 any time soon, but man oh man between injuries on O, lack of talent on D, that Pats team looks quite vulnerable RIGHT NOW (i don't care about how they came back 10yrs ago).

Definitely. Gronk looked slow and lumbering, though he still has his size strength and great hands.

Same here. My first impression was that they were SLOW. Very little pass rush.

Brady sailed more high and long balls last night then I have ever seen him throw in his career. Not sure what the deal was. The only guy he could hit consistently was Amendola who was playing the Edleman role. He couldn't connect with Hogan at all going like 1-6 to him or something like that.

That was the same year they also got blown out in Arrowhead week 4. So they started 2-2. It was definitely sky is falling attitude in New England.

We learned how weak the interior of their offensive line is last night, rushing three and getting Brady off of his spots were key. Also, their line's lack of push on those 4th and short. KC has an exceptional Defense, but I like our front 4 as much as their front 3.

I'm not expecting to beat NE, but making Brady uncomfortable is easier this year, especially without his bailout slot WRs.

The best case scenario for the season regarding New England (for Buffalo) Brady doesn't win the super bowl and we start seeing his age catch up to him. Then in the offseason Jimmy G either is franchised or signs a lucrative deal with NE making him the highest paid backup, while Brady limps into retirement. Then Jimmy G follows in the path of all of the other Brady backups.

Gronk looked off, but some of that had to be Berry. He is one of the few out there that can hang with Gronk.

This entire board sounds like a jealous ex girlfriend.

So, true, and it's truly funny. I'm sure that we'll be treated to gloating threads every time Gillislee, Gilmore or Hogan have a bad game or make a mistake. Gilmore was in single man coverage most of the night. He had one screw up ... the problem is that when a CB screws up, it usually ends up in 6 for the other team.

Meanwhile, I think that all the gloating over Gilmore ignores the fact that the Pats offense was not impressive ... primarily because of the Chiefs' D. Those boys stopped NE on 4-and-less-than-1 twice. That first fourth down stop down in the red zone after Hunt's fumble changed the entire tenor of that game. Instead of being up 14-0, they were soon tied 7-7. It's like it deflated the entire offense; they played flat the rest of the game.

Eric Berry's achilles injury aside, all those draftniks spinning their fantasies about KC sucking this season and the Bills getting a mid/high first rounder for them need to face the reality that it might not even be as high as #27.

13-3, relatively easy. Last night was a fluke.

I agree. When the Pats lose 8 games this season, then I'll say they ain't making the playoffs.

none of those years did they look bad. Last night they looked really bad. There is a difference.

Well when you have posters constantly griping about how great he was (and he never was), how he will be this perennial pro bowler in New England and it keeps getting shoved down our throats, you love it when he's exposed again for who he really is an average corner.

LOL! They looked dismal and out-classed when the Bills beat them. Season opening games are the most likely to see upsets. Even the hapless Bills have beat better teams in season openers and falsely buoyed up their fans' hopes.

We match up terribly with them. KC beat them with speed. We don't have much outside speed

Maybe instead of trying to emulate Carolina, the Bills brain trust should emulate the Chiefs who have been a consistent playoff contender since Andy Reid became their HC. They're a run-first team that mostly use short passes but they've added enough speed to go deep when the opportunity is there ... and they field killer Ds besides having an excellent OL that not only can run block extremely well but is capable of keeping their QB clean.

IMO, part of the reason that NE looked bad was that Reid out-coached Belichick. The long TD passes were killers ... and totally unexpected.

haha this is deja vu all over again. same thing happened in 2014 when they lost to a bad Dolphins team. everyone was freaking out saying how the Pats are vulnerable. they marched right on and won the Super Bowl. it's week 1. everyone needs to chill

Having an internal debate, do I drop them as my fantasy D/ST? Or do I keep them hoping that I am a curse?

How much money is on the line?

I'll start them every week if it means they suck.

That's the spirit! I tried to draft Brady and Gronk this year hoping to put some bad juju on them but it looks like you took care of it for me! :beer:

New England will adjust like they always do. Don't expect to see that too often this year.

Perhaps. I do take the point that "News of the Patriots Demise" has often been premature.

Still, the Pats were strong on both offense and defense last several years and especially last year. Previous to that, their D weaknesses were sometimes covered by juggernaut offense.

It's a fair question whether, if they "regress to the mean" on D, Brady and the offense are still strong enough to carry them.

We Shall See. It would help if they played in a stronger division *cough*

How much money is on the line?

That's the spirit! I tried to draft Brady and Gronk this year hoping to put some bad juju on them but it looks like you took care of it for me! :beer:

12 man league, $50 per person. I won last year, so I'll be in the green for a while.

Not sure how this didn't make it into the thread yet...

At least we got to see my dawg Gilmore on tv tho 1f937-1f3fe-200d-2642-fe0f.png1f602.png

The Steelers, with Ben, AB, Bell, and Bryant are going to obliterate the Pats in the Playoffs.

When we beat the Jets we will be in 1st in the AFC East.

And as another poster indicated, TT and Shady should be able to exploit the Pats D in a similar manner that KC did. And I bet McDermott calls his friend A. Reid for some brainstorming.

haha this is deja vu all over again. same thing happened in 2014 when they lost to a bad Dolphins team. everyone was freaking out saying how the Pats are vulnerable. they marched right on and won the Super Bowl. it's week 1. everyone needs to chill

they made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady in his prime. Not a great look for that D.

They have a huge problem when they face the Steelers and Raiders offense.

Even we can give them a difficult time.

I'll be excited for this week. I can't wait to see the team implode on themselves if they go on a sustained loosing streak. Gillmore getting beat was fantastic.

This has been going on for a couple of years. Brady has no deep ball left. Everything he does is underneath which is why Cooks was a bit of a head scratcher for me. He is a deep threat and I guess the idea is that he will open things up underneath but with Edelman out, Gronk not quite looking healthy, and Amendola out there isn't much underneath. I was surprised to not see more James White last night.

All of that said I won't write them off yet. I still think they are heavy super bowl favorites. I certainly enjoyed last night. The more hits Brady takes at his age the harder it will be to complete the season!

The Chiefs D took away all the intermediate passes. Even when Brady had all-day to throw he couldn't find anyone. Great LB's and defensive scheme (J. Houston on KC) will beat the Pats.

The Steelers, with Ben, AB, Bell, and Bryant are going to obliterate the Pats in the Playoffs.

When we beat the Jets we will be in 1st in the AFC East.

And as another poster indicated, TT and Shady should be able to exploit the Pats D in a similar manner that KC did. And I bet McDermott calls his friend A. Reid for some brainstorming.

im not sure if Reid will "help" the Bills since they are in their conference but we have David Culley on staff and is going to be sitting in the box with Denison, and he was on Reid's offensive staff for years. He can likely watch the film and know exactly what Reid's game plan was along with the play calls.

If you look at how Andy Reid has fared against the Patriots, he's actually kept most games pretty close. His record of 2-6 isn't great but he's 2-1 now as the Chiefs coach against the Pats. The only real blow out was the first matchup in 2003 when the Patriots beat the Eagles 31-10. Here's the rest of the match-ups:

February 6, 2005: Patriots 24, Eagles 21 - Super Bowl, Eagles came within 3 with 1:48 remaining and McNabb threw a int.

November 25, 2007: Patriots 31, Eagles 28 - AJ Feely was the starting QB and threw 2 ints on the final two possessions.

November 27, 2011: Patriots 38, Eagles 20 - Again starting backup QB Vince Young

September 29, 2014: Chiefs 41, Patriots 14 - Monday Night game

January 16, 2015: Patriots 27, Chiefs 20 - Playoff game

Edited by Wayne Cubed

If you look at how Andy Reid has fared against the Patriots, he's actually kept most games pretty close. His record of 2-6 isn't great but he's 2-1 now as the Chiefs coach against the Pats. The only real blow out was the first matchup in 2003 when the Patriots beat the Eagles 31-10. Here's the rest of the match-ups:

February 6, 2005: Patriots 24, Eagles 21 - Super Bowl, Eagles came within 3 with 1:48 remaining and McNabb threw a int.

November 25, 2007: Patriots 31, Eagles 28 - AJ Feely was the starting QB and threw 2 ints on the final two possessions.

November 27, 2011: Patriots 38, Eagles 20 - Again starting backup QB Vince Young

September 29, 2014: Chiefs 41, Patriots 14 - Monday Night game

January 16, 2015: Patriots 27, Eagles 20 - Playoff game

That SB wasn't as close as that score suggests. The McNabb INT came with hardly any time left, zero Philly TOs, and with the Eagles deep in Pats territory. It was a desperation throw with like 15 seconds left from the Eagles 10 yard line. The Pats controlled the game in the second half.

Edited by dave mcbride

That SB wasn't as close as that score suggests. The McNabb INT came with hardly any time left, zero Philly TOs, and with the Eagles deep in Pats territory. It was a desperation throw with like 15 seconds left from the Eagles 10 yard line. The Pats controlled the game in the second half.

Really? The game was tied going into the half, Patriots came out and scored and the Eagles responded and scored. It was tied after 3 qtrs. I'd maybe say the Pats controlled the 4th qtr but McNabb also threw in int with 7:20 left in the game, forced the Pats to punt the next drive and then drove down and scored.

none of those years did they look bad. Last night they looked really bad. There is a difference.

Well when you have posters constantly griping about how great he was (and he never was), how he will be this perennial pro bowler in New England and it keeps getting shoved down our throats, you love it when he's exposed again for who he really is an average corner.

Completely agree with this.

I hope it's a sign of a light at the end of the tunnel.

But I don't expect us to be competitive with them this year, and they probably still get 12 wins.

Nice to see Gilmore wasn't playing safe just to get out of BUF healthy, he genuinely is allergic to tackling and gets burned at least once a game.

Really? The game was tied going into the half, Patriots came out and scored and the Eagles responded and scored. It was tied after 3 qtrs. I'd maybe say the Pats controlled the 4th qtr but McNabb also threw in int with 7:20 left in the game, forced the Pats to punt the next drive and then drove down and scored.

I said controlled the second half. They did, although the Eagles did tie it in the third. And I was wrong - McNabb's final heave with less than 20 seconds left and zero TOs was from the 5 yard line. After the Eagles scored to make it 24-21, the Pats drained the clock and punted to the Eagles at the 5.

Im confused. Do the Chiefs stink or are they really good? Ill gladly bump the numerous threads on here where people constantly poke fun at the Chiefs saying theyre overrated; making fun of Andy Reid; Or how Mahomes shouldve been named starter after 20 passes in preseason.

They're good, as per usual. They'll likely win 10+ games. Smith is a *much* better regular-season QB than most give him credit for being.

Edited by dave mcbride