Audi

Iron Maiden

Timing chain at 90k, and its about $1500.

My son is a buyer for Carmax, and proximity to the 90k number is a big part of the appraisal.

Other than that, should be pretty safe.

Probably not even a "chain."

Really is the pain the butt getting in there. All these innovations, safety, performance come @ price. You can basically let so much more go now you couldn't years ago. 1500 still ends up small in the grand scheme.

The idea is to get you into a newer car. Keep you in pipeline.

This.

Yes.

But the way they pack cars @ build, human labor is an issue.

My 2006 Chrysler was a Mutha to change interior heating/cooling blowing motor. One screw was right up against firewall. Other 4 or five no prob. Built by a robot. Replaced by me when it broke and after all put together, trying to get to "Lego piece" on bottom.

When I changed blower motor, those 4-5 screws went in, guess which other one didn't find it's way back on new blower motor! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Autonation had one on the lot my son wanted to buy. The sales guy could have taken his commission, but said "no, you don't want to do that". The same thing my wife's cousin (a car dealer) told him, after we had told him. Eventually he gave in.

Back in the day my parents worked with a couple who had 3 Jaguars for the two of them. One was always in the shop. That's CRAZY! Hopefully the Audi issues are overstated.

Just bought an 2012 Audi A3. Anyone out there a Audi owner ? Would like some feed back about your experience....I did my research of course, and I'm pretty confident it's an awesome car, but would like to know what to look for as far as common issues....

Thanks

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.

it was fun to drive bi turbo car

My son wanted an Audi. Several "car people" talked him out of it for service cost issues. Sorry. I have no personal experience. Hope it's not an issue for you. Drive and enjoy!

Find an independent dealer who works on them I did

Timing chain at 90k, and its about $1500.

My son is a buyer for Carmax, and proximity to the 90k number is a big part of the appraisal.

Other than that, should be pretty safe.

My timing chain was $800

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.ou got it for $800

it was fun to drive bi turbo car

Find an independent dealer who works on them I did

My timing chain was $800

I'm happy you got it for $800.

I'm simply stating what people who do this for a living value it at.

My son spends about half a million per week on used cars for his company, and that is what they value it at.

The bottom line is that Audi timing chains are very expensive. If you buy one near the 90k number, you will likely get a discount, because everybody, ex the retail buyer, knows.

Same goes for Carfax.

Neat service, but it isn't what people who buy vehicles at that volume and risk level use.

They inspect it themselves, and pay people to do those evaluations and price them.

My son spends about half a million per week on used cars for his company, and that is what they value it at.

The bottom line is that Audi timing chains are very expensive. If you buy one near the 90k number, you will likely get a discount, because everybody, ex the retail buyer, knows.

Same goes for Carfax.

Neat service, but it isn't what people who buy vehicles at that volume and risk level use.

They inspect it themselves, and pay people to do those evaluations and price them.

What about Carvana?

Was looking in the class recently and will echo that everyone I spoke to advised I'd be foolish to do the Audi out of the group. For the exact reasons several here echoed. My parents also own one currently that is essentially done for due to frequent and expensive repairs.

Same goes for Carfax.

Independent shop did it in Charlotte. Former mechanics who worked there

Thanks for the input...I'm aware of the high costs for maintenance...but in my case, I was willing to pay to get the " fun " of driving that car....I intend to keep it for 5-6 years...hopefully, the problems won't start until then....

That's what I did and then traded it in. Was a nice looking car and was an odd color

Never owned one. After the Audi 5000 problems, about 30 years ago, I was never attracted to them. The 5000's were famous for "unintended acceleration." There was a saying, back then, that if you were leaving quickly, you were Audi 5000'ing it.

Brake pedal was too close to the gas pedal

German cars too expensive to maintain, especially used. They use proprietary parts so that you have to bring them in for service. It's a scam. Lease them or buy Japanese is my advice

Yes, but without them you would never meet Dieter & Lars from the service dept. "So, you have relatives in Cheektowaga??"

Had an 07 A4. A few things to note:

Had terrible brake dust problem always getting on my rims with factory brakes. Bought ceramic ones and the problem stopped and never had to buy breaks again.

If you have the 2.0T, then there are quite a few tuning options out there that can raise your HP by about 50 for less than $500. It is well worth it, but does carry some risk so make sure to research quality ones with great reviews. I was able to easily keep up with any S4 after the reprogramming.

I had an A6 and hit a dear head-on with it. Got the car fixed, but it had a rattle that couldn't be diagnosed and fixed. We got another A6 to replace it. Best driving cars I've ever owned till I got the Range Rover Sport - which is a whole different animal.

Audi and Volkswagen have what's called "service position" when doing engine work.....it takes a VERY long time to get into this position, so the labor rates are high.

man-bent-over.jpg

ROTFLMAO! Perfect post. Those two post couldn't have been more choreographed...

I can't laughing... Jack, You just hit it into the roof @ old Comiskey Park w/that one!

Tears running down my face. Oh, I am 50 next year... Wait a second! :-(

German cars too expensive to maintain, especially used. They use proprietary parts so that you have to bring them in for service. It's a scam. Lease them or buy Japanese is my advice

although I disagree with the buying of Japanese cars. I agree 100% with expense to maintain.

I owned a 2006 Mercedes C230 Sport. It had very low miles on it when I bought it used. Of course Mercedes urged me against taking it anywhere else for service. I happen to know a Master Tech at another dealership and he does all my work personally. If it was not for him, i would have been beyond broke paying for my Benz once I passed 90k miles.

To the OP. How many miles are on the car? How much did you pay for it?

I've always known that labor was more, but I was under the impression that parts cost more as well. I have heard that it's sometimes a challenge to source parts.

Yeah... But that gets back to labor making the parts. Across the board everybody is making fair pay? I say that with a question mark. There is fair trade.

Guess what. We as customers pay for that. I don't mind paying for that.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Had an 07 A4. A few things to note:

Had terrible brake dust problem always getting on my rims with factory brakes. Bought ceramic ones and the problem stopped and never had to buy breaks again.

If you have the 2.0T, then there are quite a few tuning options out there that can raise your HP by about 50 for less than $500. It is well worth it, but does carry some risk so make sure to research quality ones with great reviews. I was able to easily keep up with any S4 after the reprogramming.

not to be a dick. But that sounds incredibly false. Maybe the driver of the S4 didn't know how to shift properly. I would love to know how your coming up with over 100hp for just a few hundred bucks. If you said you added a turbo or SC I'd believe it.

not to be a dick. But that sounds incredibly false. Maybe the driver of the S4 didn't know how to shift properly. I would love to know how your coming up with over 100hp for just a few hundred bucks. If you said you added a turbo or SC I'd believe it.

He didn't say over 100. He said about 50. But just a software upgrade got me about 40-45 hp and 90 lbs of torque for ~$600 in my 07 2.0T A4.

Yeah... But that gets back to labor making the parts. Across the board everybody is making fair pay? I say that with a question mark. There is fair trade.

Guess what. We as customers pay for that. I don't mind paying for that.

The problem is that not all of these parts are manufactured in Germany. German labor costs may be high, but these companies have outsourced a lot as a result. In fact not all German cars are made in Germany. I don't doubt the quality of some of these cars. I just think that a good deal of the price tag is based on legacy. This applies to the American companies as well.

although I disagree with the buying of Japanese cars. I agree 100% with expense to maintain.

I owned a 2006 Mercedes C230 Sport. It had very low miles on it when I bought it used. Of course Mercedes urged me against taking it anywhere else for service. I happen to know a Master Tech at another dealership and he does all my work personally. If it was not for him, i would have been beyond broke paying for my Benz once I passed 90k miles.

To the OP. How many miles are on the car? How much did you pay for it?

What's wrong with Japanese cars?

Subaru, Honda, Toyota...all super cheap to maintain and hold their value. I've had 100k cars and I've had 20k cars. I've seen it all at this point. Cars are a huge waste of money so try to limit that hit as much as possible by buying smart. I'd buy a Subaru over an Audi any day of the week