Astro-Notes: 7-29-17 Third Practice

I'm going to call the Andre Holmes cut early. Guy just can't catch (reliably).

Food for thought:

1) Your batting average is very, very low. Abysmal even.

2) "I'll tell you the guy that's really stood out has been Andre (Holmes)," head coach Sean McDermott told the Buffalo News. "He's done a phenomenal job, not only on offense, but also special teams. Very solid performer day to day, consistent and just really -- that's been a nice pickup for us so far and I really appreciate his leadership."

0ap3000000804863.jpg

Hey Astro, thanks for the mention. Real nice meeting you.

It was great! So many eyes on the action today!

Returning tomorrow.

I will spend more time watching the D backfield tomorrow.

Thanks a ton, Astro!

I really like the sound of how our defense is doing against the run.

How do Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer look to you?

Sounds like Daikiel Shorts is making an impression, as is Cedric O'Neal.

He has the highest drop rate of the 12 WRs. It wouldn't surprise me.

He will make it on special teams play alone. He's one of the best gunners in the league. And he does make the occasional amazing catch, too.

Hey Astro, thanks for the mention. Real nice meeting you.

:thumbsup:

Food for thought:

2) "I'll tell you the guy that's really stood out has been Andre (Holmes)," head coach Sean McDermott told the Buffalo News. "He's done a phenomenal job, not only on offense, but also special teams. Very solid performer day to day, consistent and just really -- that's been a nice pickup for us so far and I really appreciate his leadership."

0ap3000000804863.jpg

there are some reports that are not pretty pertaining to camp.

Sounds like he has had a rough start. If Boldin were to sign here I think his roster spot then comes under very serious threat.

I asked in another thread, are they not interchangeable per skillset? Generally speaking?

I asked in another thread, are they not interchangeable per skillset? Generally speaking?

I think there is some similarity in the big body big target type.... but Holmes has been more of an outside type at this point in his career whereas in recent years Boldin has operated more from the slot. But they appear open minded to the possibility that Zay could play either role.

If Boldin and Jones supplanted Holmes as the #2 and #3 receiver the question would then be are you content to have him at his price as a gunner and #4 type receiver? The answer to that is probably yes... but clearly if Holmes is not in the top 3 wideouts his place on the roster will receive greatee scrutiny.

Food for thought:

0ap3000000804863.jpg

You advertising FFB now? That's a new one.

I don't care about any batting average; you're the one so insistent on telling people how right you are.

Holmes was great in shorts during the Spring; whoop-dee-doo. I think he's squarely on the bubble.

I agree that Holmes isn't likely to be cut, at the least because of ST and being brought in on a vet contract. But if he has a constant case of the drops, maybe we should up our offer to Boldin.

Holmes=Easley. He gets a roster spot because of his ST ability.

I agree that Holmes isn't likely to be cut, at the least because of ST and being brought in on a vet contract. But if he has a constant case of the drops, maybe we should up our offer to Boldin.

Seems his route running is in question too. Lets hope he can clean that up.

I think there is some similarity in the big body big target type.... but Holmes has been more of an outside type at this point in his career whereas in recent years Boldin has operated more from the slot. But they appear open minded to the possibility that Zay could play either role.

If Boldin and Jones supplanted Holmes as the #2 and #3 receiver the question would then be are you content to have him at his price as a gunner and #4 type receiver? The answer to that is probably yes... but clearly if Holmes is not in the top 3 wideouts his place on the roster will receive greatee scrutiny.

It is too early to call. Lets hope the rest of the pack can shorten up the distance to #3 WR and create some worth while competition before we settle into

the final 6 ( ?)at WRs.

I will tell you this. He dropped 2 in the hands passes in drills alone. When he did catch in 11 on 11 there was no issue getting yards. Fix the hands and he is a beast. It has been mentioned that McD really liked him in the Spring but TC sepperates the players from the greats right? I will tell you besides Sammy Shorts was the stand out WR day three for me.

EDIT" I do think he was turning his head downfield before he secured ball.

Edited by fansince88

I will tell you this. He dropped 2 in the hands passes in drills alone. When he did catch in 11 on 11 there was no issue getting yards. Fix the hands and he is a beast. It has been mentioned that McD really liked him in the Spring but TC sepperates the players from the greats right? I will tell you besides Sammy Shorts was the stand out WR day three for me.

EDIT" I do think he was turning his head downfield before he secured ball.

This is what i needed to read.

Thanks again to the Both of Our Reporters ON The Scene !!

BTW the field notes have me rooting for Shorts as well.