McDermott has really impressed me. We might have struck gold

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link?

...link?...LMAO....the TBD archives probably have 26,358 posts of doubting trepidation posts about Marrone for your perusal....and at last count, the pundits' doubting trepidation posts about McD stand at 11,357 BUT growing.....over/under has yet to be established......

Better chance of striking a gas line than gold in WNY...

McDoomed has pretty much laid low all offseason, which is good... Has lots of positive things to say about the team... Still I was hoping for more in the way of dark, and brooding behavior... Just once, I'd like him to look visibly unhappy with SOMETHING ... I saw that alot with Gase, and I respected it... Everything can't be good during a 17 year playoff drought...

Three thoughts on this...

1) Tough to judge McD until game day. That's the first time we see how the Bills will exploit other teams weaknesses and cover the Bills weaknesses. Its also the first time we will see game management and clock management. These are all key. I just can't get excited anymore about press conference rhetoric or mic'd up practice sessions.

2) The Pegulas have spared no expense to build a coaching staff and a football administration/scouting staff. I hope they exercise paitience with this team (5 years) unless its an unmitigated disaster. Are there indications that this staff is different -- yes so far. For example, part of me is glad the Bills did not sign Maclin...the fans have had 17 years of chasing the shiny penny and maybe not the smartest use of the cap. McD and Beane made a decision on a price for Maclin and stuck to it...its not emotion its building a roster.

3) For the first time since Butler and Wade (and Polian and Marv before them), I feel like the Bills football operations and coaching staff are aligned...this is really important....they are essentially equal..there is no czar like Donahoe or no friction like Marrone/Ryan vs. Whaley...the parts of the organization are evaluated as one rather than separately.

Yes -- this all is off the topic of just McD -- but it all fits together...Am I optimistic -- sure--all we have is hope...we have no substantial evidence of competence or incompetence right now and I want to be positive.

Edited by JoeF

Three thoughts on this...

1) Tough to judge McD until game day. That's the first time we see how the Bills will exploit other teams weaknesses and cover the Bills weaknesses. Its also the first time we will see game management and clock management. These are all key. I just can't get excited anymore about press conference rhetoric or mic'd up practice sessions.

2) The Pegulas have spared no expense to build a coaching staff and a football administration/scouting staff. I hope they exercise paitience with this team (5 years) unless its an unmitigated disaster. Are there indications that this staff is different -- yes so far. For example, part of me is glad the Bills did not sign Maclin...the fans have had 17 years of chasing the shiny penny and maybe not the smartest use of the cap. McD and Beane made a decision on a price for Maclin and stuck to it...its not emotion its building a roster.

3) For the first time since Butler and Wade (and Polian and Marv before them), I feel like the Bills football operations and coaching staff are aligned...this is really important....they are essentially equal..there is no czar like Donahoe or no friction like Marrone/Ryan vs. Whaley...the parts of the organization are evaluated as one rather than separately.

Yes -- this all is off the topic of just McD -- but it all fits together...Am I optimistic -- sure--all we have is hope...we have no substantial evidence of competence or incompetence right now and I want to be positive.

....going back to post Polian, have you been this optimistic as far as the complete fit (sure it's on paper) package being in place, or was there another era that you thought to have better potential after Polian?....just curious.......

....going back to post Polian, have you been this optimistic as far as the complete fit (sure it's on paper) package being in place, or was there another era that you thought to have better potential after Polian?....just curious.......

I thought John Butler and AJ Smith combined with Wade Phillips was a good and cohesive combination but that was essentially an extension of Polian Levy. I think the Bills have been at their best when the coaching staff and the football ops/personnel side were essentially equals and evaluated together by ownership rather than having one czar. If you remember those combinations -- both the coach and GM had direct pipelines to the owner but they used those forums to support each other not to undermine each other.

I think Bills have that cohesion now for the first time in 17 years...I view this year as 1987 or 1997 when the Bills needed a year to transition the roster -- but were on the cusp of a really good team. This time it might take two or three years. It takes less time if young vets like Darby, Lawson, Watkins, Ragland, John Miller and this year's draft class realize some of their promise.

Edited by JoeF

I used to indulge myself in the minutia and details of every offseason. I am now at a point where I have taken a big step back and am tired of trying to figure out if we're going to be good or try to convince myself we're going to be good. I don't look at the details. I want to see the product on Sundays. Period.

That being said, while I have taken a huge step back, the little I have seen from McDermott looks great. Intense. Well spoken. Confident in every arena. Intelligent. A football personality (tough and carries himself well). I'm not sure I have a critique of what I've seen. Time will tell.

I thought John Butler and AJ Smith combined with Wade Phillips was a good and cohesive combination but that was essentially an extension of Polian Levy. I think the Bills have been at their best when the coaching staff and the football ops/personnel side were essentially equals and evaluated together by ownership rather than having one czar. If you remember those combinations -- both the coach and GM had direct pipelines to the owner but they used those forums to support each other not to undermine each other.

I think Bills have that cohesion now for the first time in 17 years...I view this year as 1987 or 1997 when the Bills needed a year to transition the roster -- but were on the cusp of a really good team. This time it might take two or three years. It takes less time if young vets like Darby, Lawson, Watkins, Ragland, John Miller and this year's draft class realize some of their promise.

...all great points bud....Butler/Smith/Wade trio was pretty good.....sad that RW tried to shaft Wade when he refused to fire ST coaches.....hence, the "your resigned....no you fired me" spat all over money...glad the arbitrator found in Wade's favor and he got his 800 grand......and the guy is STILL going at 70 as the Rams' DC....good for him.....

...all great points bud....Butler/Smith/Wade trio was pretty good.....sad that RW tried to shaft Wade when he refused to fire ST coaches.....hence, the "your resigned....no you fired me" spat all over money...glad the arbitrator found in Wade's favor and he got his 800 grand......and the guy is STILL going at 70 as the Rams' DC....good for him.....

Sad that Wade wouldn't fire the worst ST coach in history to keep his job

....ABSOLUTELY agree....probably defines the man's character though.....if he is the accountable HC, he should be able to decide who is on his staff and who needs to go....just my opinion...trying to screw him out of 800 grand was a low point in Bills' lore.............

....ABSOLUTELY agree....probably defines the man's character though.....if he is the accountable HC, he should be able to decide who is on his staff and who needs to go....just my opinion...trying to screw him out of 800 grand was a low point in Bills' lore.............

Pretty sure Ronny Jones is worst coach PERIOD in NFL and is the reason why front office should have veto power over all signings unless the signing is paid out of coach's pocket.

And he was not told to fire him, he was told he could remain an assistant coach but he could not remain as a coordinator so it was a demotion not a firing.

I have become comfortably numb

It really is quite comfortable to be nice and numb on the season. I enjoy the games, and if we are anywhere near .500 going into the last month I treat that like the superbowl. When the final day of us being eliminated rolls around it's no sweat off my back and I'm happy to have been entertained past Thanksgiving.

Go Bills baby! May the new HC keep us playing PAST THANKSGIVING!!! WOOO!

It really is quite comfortable to be nice and numb on the season. I enjoy the games, and if we are anywhere near .500 going into the last month I treat that like the superbowl. When the final day of us being eliminated rolls around it's no sweat off my back and I'm happy to have been entertained past Thanksgiving.

Go Bills baby! May the new HC keep us playing PAST THANKSGIVING!!! WOOO!

Some like to pull the season worn bandaid off very slowly to try avoid the pain. Others get it over with as quickly as possible.

The pain is inevitable regardless of the method.

0- 23

Wade Phillips is the best head coach the Bills have ever had, in my opinion.

I'd like to see McGinger Beady Eyes coach a few NFL games before saying how I feel about him. As of now, it seems that he's doing and saying/not doing, not saying the right things. I'm more optimistic about the long-term future of the Bills than I've been in years and it's specifically because of the HC/GM combo.

Wade Phillips is the best head coach the Bills have ever had, in my opinion.

I'd like to see McGinger Beady Eyes coach a few NFL games before saying how I feel about him. As of now, it seems that he's doing and saying/not doing, not saying the right things. I'm more optimistic about the long-term future of the Bills than I've been in years and it's specifically because of the HC/GM combo.

Greetings and Salutations !

Welcome to Earth.

Have we met somewhere ?

Optimistic are we now ?

Greetings and Salutations !

Welcome to Earth.

Have we met somewhere ?

Optimistic are we now ?

Oh, I think we're gonna suck this year. That's why I bolded long-term.

I like the type of coach McDermott is esp after a players coach like Rex. McDermott isn't a prototypical disciplinarian that a lot of teams bring in once a players coach loses a locker room. He seems to me to be someone who demands a level of professionalism and intensity through his actions and the manner to which he carries himself. Not sure if he will work out but the philsophy he brings is the kind the team needs. A much more traditional disciplinarian type coach isn't nearly as effective in the NFL as they use to be.

I like what little I have seen from McDermott so far. Lets get to mid season before we label him good or bad. The most positive thing I have heard players say is that the defense is not as complex as Rex's which I love. Let the players do what they do best.

I am all in on this guy, I just want the Pegulas to give him at least 5 years.

As long as he doesn't hire his fat brother, ride a tandem bicycle, wear his sons college football helmet to PC's, declare that we have won the off season, and guarantee a playoff appearance then he should be fine

CBF

I like the type of coach McDermott is esp after a players coach like Rex. McDermott isn't a prototypical disciplinarian that a lot of teams bring in once a players coach loses a locker room. He seems to me to be someone who demands a level of professionalism and intensity through his actions and the manner to which he carries himself. Not sure if he will work out but the philsophy he brings is the kind the team needs. A much more traditional disciplinarian type coach isn't nearly as effective in the NFL as they use to be.

well said billsfan89

Outstanding. Notice he's so confident, he raises his arms the instant the brick starts hooking.

i even like he has the confidence to not even put his full leg into it. he's just so casual.

I am not all in yet.... this is like a 1st date. You don't marry after your 1st date. So far so good.

But many a 1st date turn out to be mental or criminal or just plain losers... sure she is hot to look at or really fun, but you don't know about the heads she keeps in her freezer in the basement.

I am just not ready to go all in on this coach or staff or front office yet. We have been fooled before!!!

Edited by Iraq Vet

I like what little I have seen from McDermott so far. Lets get to mid season before we label him good or bad. The most positive thing I have heard players say is that the defense is not as complex as Rex's which I love. Let the players do what they do best.

What's interesting about this is Seymour said this scheme is more difficult that Rex's. He said in Rex's, the CB's played man basically all the time, so it was very easy. Now he needs to know all of the different zone coverages as well.

To your point, I think the front 7's job is much easier, while the back end might be a little more difficult. Either way, as a whole, it sounds like it will be easier and they're emphasizing playing fast and instinctual, which is good to hear.