Brandon Beane's Introductory Presser at 10:30 AM ET

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What QB are they paying?

The next QB they pay mega money to will be 5 years down the line.

The Panthers season went down the tubes without Norman. Julio Jonses had over 300 yards receiving in one game against that secondary.

Hopefully they learned their lesson...

My point was that philosophically you pay those positions, the others you find ways of adjusting. Again, look at the recent Super Bowl winners / losers and those that continuously contend. Megatron was one of the best WRs of our generation, how many titles came with him and Stafford? How many playoffs? When you examine Super Bowl rosters, you typically have a very good quarterback, decent to great line play on both sides of the ball, and usually another excellent grouping of players, i.e. Linebackers, CBs, etc. And, the model that remains sustainable, is where when you find your Franchise QB, you pay him like it, and then you work hard to keep the best players in the trenches, while complimenting all other positions between Drafting and FAs that fit within your scheme.

I'm all for keeping Watkins, but not to the point where that money in the next year to three will cost the ability to keep other more important players relative to position.

Cool.

My guess is he stays on the field all year and has a great year.

If you disagree that they shouldn't show him the money after that then all I can say is I'm glad your not the GM.(Or should I say McDermott)

Again, a SMART franchise does not handcuff its self to a handful of players. IF he prices himself out of what we want, or should, pay then franchise him.

The secondary was awful without Norman, but you think a comp pick is worth it to help sabotage a season?

Got it.

One player is not why they had a bad season. Look at Cam's Numbers for that answer. They kept him from running and forced him to be a QB and he failed at it. See how they added more weapons for him this offseason? Carolina has been my #2 team since their inception so I know about the Panthers.

Beane will NOT overpay for a player, neither does Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NE teams that are always in the hunt. Fans need to prepare for a new way at OBD. Huge "name" splashes in Free agency are done. We will draft and develop, but let them move on if they don't fit the salary structure, like good teams do.

Edited by KellyToughII

To be fair, they aren't grilling Beane with questions like "what is your job exactly?"

Yes...they were a-holes to Whaely. Lost whatever respect I had for the Buffalo sports media during that whole fiasco.

Edited by Buftex

What QB are they paying?

The next QB they pay mega money to will be 5 years down the line.

The Panthers season went down the tubes without Norman. Julio Jonses had over 300 yards receiving in one game against that secondary.

Hopefully they learned their lesson...

It was a lot more than just John Norman though. They had to replace 3/4 of their starting secondary from the previous season. They were starting multiple rookies in the secondary. They had a bunch of key injuries to some of their best player, like Luke Keuchly and Cam Newton (concussion and then shoulder injury) and key players on the defensive line. Cam Newton regressed terribly, after having his best year ever in 2015. Their offensive line regressed terribly, and the passing game went way downhill because of it. The defensive line regressed badly too. They went from being at the top of the NFL for sacks and QB pressure all the way to near the bottom of the NFL. That will put extra pressure on even the best secondary.

They also lost their #1 CB in that game against Atlanta, and Atlanta lit up a bunch of teams last season. Their offense was incredible. They torched the best secondary in the league right after that (Denver).

The Panthers secondary was actually playing well before that game.

Losing John Norman was a small part of the problem, but not even close to the only reason why that team regressed so much.

Again, a SMART franchise does not handcuff its self to a handful of players. IF he prices himself out of what we want, or should, pay then franchise him.

One player is not why they had a bad season. Look at Cam's Numbers for that answer. They kept him from running and forced him to be a QB and he failed at it. See how they added more weapons for him this offseason? Carolina has been my #2 team since their inception so I know about the Panthers.

Beane will NOT overpay for a player, neither does Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NE teams that are always in the hunt. Fans need to prepare for a new way at OBD. Huge "name" splashes in Free agency are done. We will draft and develop, but let them move on if they don't fit the salary structure, like good teams do.

Aside from TO and Mario, have we had very many others? Dockery? Clay?

Feel like we've been trying to draft and develop, not that I'm against it.

Regardless, good for Beane inheriting (a) sizable cap room next year, (b) two 1st round picks next year, and © a short-term get out of jail free card in that he arrived after FA and Draft for this offseason.

McDermott provided list of GM candidates to Terry. Wonder if it went like this.

1. Brandon Beane

2. Brandon Beane

3. Brandon Beane

4. Brandon Beane

5. Brandon Beane

The Bills chose #2...but I feel they're going to regret it....mark my words....#5 was clearly the better options...

this pair will have a minimum of 4 years here

I sure hope so!

I truly believe that bad teams stay bad by constantly changing coaches and visions.

I'd love to see what the Bills can do with the same coaching staff and the same scheme for a number of years.

This was one of those times where Bean couldn't have done himself any good at all - but he very well could have nearly sunk the ship with his self-inflicted damage. In this case, I'm of the opinion he held steady and strong and did well enough to invoke some confidence in his capabilities. Essentially, he came out about as well as he could have....anyone who thinks differently is entitled to their own opinion, but to me that only means their opinion was formed prior to his introduction press conference.

****in way she goes boys...

****in way she goes.

Do you like Coldplay? Just asking.

I don't like the band Coldplay, but I have enjoyed chewed up ice with my female friend. At the time, I thought I invented the word "coldplay".

Last time I was excited about a GM was Tom Donohue. This guys does nothing for me. My only hope is we just got blind lucky with this guy.

I need a drink.....

....if Tom Dono-HOE-HOE-HOE excited you, I suggest SEVERAL drinks...............

Good riddance to Overdorf. Whether officially or by losing control of contract negotiations.

Seems this front office needs a director of personnel to be complete. A guy with an eye for talent. Is McCloughan a realistic candidate? Is he off the sauce?

Good riddance to Overdorf. Whether officially or by losing control of contract negotiations.

Seems this front office needs a director of personnel to be complete. A guy with an eye for talent. Is McCloughan a realistic candidate? Is he off the sauce?

Username fits

Chicago Bear's GM Ryan Pace talked a good game too.

Unfortunately he was voted bum of the week by Chicago fans when he traded the farm to move up one draft position and take Mitch Trubisky.

Press conferences aren't meaningless but they aren't worth much. Although having the new guy sound like he has a chance to be successful is better than the alternative.

Gut feeling is positive.

No, not even close. In fact it's the polar opposite of Whaley's approach.

No. The same.

Build through the draft. Use FA to address needs. Draft best available players and develop them.

It's what everyone tries to do. The trick is doing it well.

Edited by vincec

Coach: so what do we need?

TD: wide receiver

Coach: but we drafted 1 in the first round for the past...

TD: WIDE RECEIVER!!!!

.....the first indication he was a bad hire was his insistence at being named "El Presidente",FIRST in the club's history....title means more than your job?...seriously?.......his uncontrollable ego regarding personnel and hiring subordinating HC's on the cheap that would cave to this azzclown set this club back a decade....RW went to Patchwork 101 with unqualified yet trusted confidants.....you know the rest..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Your evaluation of talent is flawed.

Sammys one of the best if not the best talents on the field when he's healthy.

He's missed 11 games in 3 years. Not great but extremely over exaggerated by fans here.

If we don't pay him someone else will.

Ok, but he's not the only WR coming along.

Why over pay for average when you got draft picks and need cap room.

Let the season play out,if he stays healthy and contributes get a deal done.

I would like to know how they are going to find 17 experienced scouts.

Right here on the board;)

Couldn't do any worse than the pro's did for the last 2 decades;)