Brandon Beane's Introductory Presser at 10:30 AM ET

Good.

I'll repeat, don't let Watkins leave.

Remember Josh Norman?? Obviously, they do believe in re-signing their own players, but not pricing themselves out of the market just because they like their own player. Yes, the Defense suffered, but if you cash strap your entire team to one player, except for the QB, your whole team suffers. Sometimes, you have to let good players go when the market out paces the good of the team. So, I hope Watkins has a blockbuster year and the Bills decide to keep him...but, I also see teams like the Pats and Seattle who are winning pretty well with late round and UDFA guys...like Edelman, Hogan, Baldwin, etc....WRs and RBs are not of the supreme importance they once were. Offensive / Defensive line with QB are the ones who make the greatest difference when you can implement a scheme that uses the players you have.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Josh Norman?? Obviously, they do believe in re-signing their own players, but not pricing themselves out of the market just because they like their own player. Yes, the Defense suffered, but if you cash strap your entire team to one player, except for the QB, your whole team suffers. Sometimes, you have to let good players go when the market out paces the good of the team. So, I hope Watkins has a blockbuster year and the Bills decide to keep him...but, I also see teams like the Pats and Seattle who are winning pretty well with late round and UDFA guys...like Edelman, Hogan, Baldwin, etc....WRs and RBs are not of the supreme importance they once were. Offensive / Defensive line with QB are the ones who make the greatest difference when you can implement a scheme that uses the players you have.

This would be the case except we will have gobs of money to spend next year....so we can easily pay Watkins

"Sean is a wrestler" DRINK!

Hoping for the best! :thumbsup:

Will not be getting emotionally invested, or giving the Pegulas a dime of my money, until then though.

Hope you'll be able to find tickets when they reach that level.

Your evaluation of talent is flawed.

Sammys one of the best if not the best talents on the field when he's healthy.

He's missed 11 games in 3 years. Not great but extremely over exaggerated by fans here.

If we don't pay him someone else will.

Then let them. Let him miss games for them. IF he can play 16 games and show consistency then we will try to sign him. IF he is pricing himself out of our range, then franchise him. The Pats, Steelers, Packers (Franchises we want to be like) don't cling to players. NE will cut a probowler tomorrow just because. When we start getting that attitude about players, we will improve. Not to be a jerk, but they are chess pieces to get us wins and titles. They come and go.

Edited by KellyToughII

@viccarucci

Beane on roster-building philosophy: "Going to build through the draft. Not going to see big splashes in free agency."

Those are the exact words I wanted to hear. I've been preaching this approach for the past 4 years, so that's music to my ears.

What QB are they paying?

The next QB they pay mega money to will be 5 years down the line.

The Panthers season went down the tubes without Norman. Julio Jonses had over 300 yards receiving in one game against that secondary.

Hopefully they learned their lesson...

I mean yea the secondary suffered post norman... But they did get a 2017 3rd round comp pick. I think they used that in the Ealy trade to move up in the 2nd round. Used the space to extend Short. They had 0 interest in extending him an offer, and he was not likely to play under the tag. Why not keep the cap space and bank a pick in the process? To me it showed some foresight to at least get something for him.

But Newton went from 3800 and 36TDs, 60% passer to a 3500 19 and 52% passer... Thats probably a big part of why they ended up where they did.

They went from the Super Bowl to a disappointing 7-9. How is a comp pick worth that????

I haven't actually looked it up, but my buddies from Charlotte kept telling me the difference in records between '15 and '16 were simply that they won all of their close games in '15 and lost them all in '16. What swung the pendulum that way isn't really discussed, just that they feel that both years they were more like a 10-6 or 11-5 type team.

^^^

This

While saying Watkins has just missed 11 games in 3 years, is true, it's also rather trite, don't you think?

Mainly because that number (11), might actually be less than the amount of games he's actually been fully fit in.

Not picking up his option, due to it being fully guaranteed against injury, was simply the only sensible business move, to make.

Now, I rate Watkins ability, but all the ability in the world, doesn't mean diddley squat, if it doesn't make it to the field on a Sunday.

If Watkins stays fully healthy for the vast majority of the season, it will almost certainly be a 'no brainer' to re-sign him, or tag him if necessary.

If he doesn't, then it becomes a whole different ball game, and if other guys come through, then I could see him being let go, unless he wants to return at a discount.