Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Got some Buckeyes lined up over the summer, he'll get a looking at. Few Draft Breakdown videos on him recently too.

Barkley and Guice are sure-fire first rounders. I'm thinking we will take one later but never know... a guy like Weber or Scott in the 3rd would be nice.

The former Sabres defenseman?

hell naw

Man, if Barkley, Guice, Rawleigh Williams, Ronald Jones, Kamryn Pettway (my personal favourite), Myles Gaskin, Bo Scarborough, LJ Scott all declared.........

I'm going Wing-T and never looking back.

How many do you envision being first rounders if you don't mind we askin?

I think Barkley is going to be a star. I wouldn't rule out RB next year if they don't need to move up. The Bills could get something like Rosen and Guice (who I like more than Fournette).

i keep saying Barkley should sit out this season, you know just to make sure he doesn't get hurt :devil:

Darnold is going to the Browns. It's a done deal. That's why they didn't draft anyone this year or last. Jets and 49ers are next. We might get the 4th best guy if we are lucky

Well, the Browns took Kizer this year, so you got that going for ya.

How many do you envision being first rounders if you don't mind we askin?

I think Barkley is probably the only nailed-on 1st rounder at this point (some of the prettiest 1-yard gains you'll ever see). I think Guice is the best of the bunch but I think a lot of teams are waiting to see who he is now that he's "the man" with Fournette leaving. Guice also needs to show more in the passing game. He's plenty capable but it's about proving it.

Same as the 2017 class, the depth of the class is what can make it special. Who said the running back position was dead?!

So, Jeff is getting acquainted with Josh Allen :D

@JeffRisdon

Watching SDSU/Wyoming game, MWC Championship. Gonna guess most folks trumpeting Josh Allen haven't watched this one...

It's nuts. He's somewhere between DeShone Kizer and Tyler Thigpen, with some Paxton Lynch sprinkled in. Folks HATED all those guys

Praising Allen for making a (fantastic) tackle after throwing a pathetic INT, late and off target. Big machine in full motion 1f644.png

And, for the visual amongst you - https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/861587475348815873

So, Jeff is getting acquainted with Josh Allen :D

@JeffRisdon

Watching SDSU/Wyoming game, MWC Championship. Gonna guess most folks trumpeting Josh Allen haven't watched this one...

It's nuts. He's somewhere between DeShone Kizer and Tyler Thigpen, with some Paxton Lynch sprinkled in. Folks HATED all those guys

Praising Allen for making a (fantastic) tackle after throwing a pathetic INT, late and off target. Big machine in full motion 1f644.png

And, for the visual amongst you - https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/861587475348815873

14 games of up-and-down tape in the Mountain West has Josh Allen a possible #1 pick. Mahomes, Watson & Kizer just lacked that one intangible

Did you see his JUCO stats? 49% completion rate at Reedley.

And to be fair, I have no defined opinion on these guys yet. I just found it funny that the Kipers, McShays and Cosells always fall in love with trying to find the next Carson Wentz or Blake Bortles.

I think I want the Bills to get Wilton Speight. He's tall and pro-style.

Edited by jeffismagic

And to be fair, I have no defined opinion on these guys yet. I just found it funny that the Kipers, McShays and Cosells always fall in love with trying to find the next Carson Wentz or Blake Bortles.

Likewise. I mean, I was a Wentz fan a year out and thought he was a guy to potentially trade back into the 1st for (or take in the 20's as I foolishly thought we'd be good).

I guess it's my prerogative to apply context and media members' to hype up at all costs.

It's the same old story every time.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Likewise. I mean, I was a Wentz fan a year out and thought he was a guy to potentially trade back into the 1st for (or take in the 20's as I foolishly thought we'd be good).

I guess it's my prerogative to apply context and media members' to hype up at all costs.

I think I need an avatar change. Should I go Allen or Speight?

What you mean that next year's class is the one?

I remember being told a year out that the Matt Barkley, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson group had legitimate pro prospects and that Barkley would be the consensus #1 pick. In the end EJ and Geno were the first QBs off the board in a bad class and Glennon has had probably the most (although very limited) success.

I haven't started to dig into any of the 2018 QBs yet but I am going to make a start over the summer, which is a first for me. Usually I like to make sure I have watched them all on TV in "non evaluation mode" before I start breaking them down.... but given the number of hot names in the 2018 class I am going to make a start.

What you mean that next year's class is the one?

I remember being told a year out that the Matt Barkley, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson group had legitimate pro prospects and that Barkley would be the consensus #1 pick. In the end EJ and Geno were the first QBs off the board in a bad class and Glennon has had probably the most (although very limited) success.

I haven't started to dig into any of the 2018 QBs yet but I am going to make a start over the summer, which is a first for me. Usually I like to make sure I have watched them all on TV in "non evaluation mode" before I start breaking them down.... but given the number of hot names in the 2018 class I am going to make a start.

Whenever there's a prototypical-sized white kid from anything close to a pro-style scheme, the media go nuts. Nobody wanted to hype up a Watson/Mahomes/Kizer class early doors and two of which ended up going top 12.

Guys like Darnold/Allen are a McShay/Kiper wet dream because they can sell them to the masses with consumate ease. Let us never forget the Leidner to Dallas at 25 stunt last year :D

Depending on how Wednesday goes, I may or may not have some spare time to make a start on the '18 class. As of right now, I'd take Luke Falk over the field.

Man, if Barkley, Guice, Rawleigh Williams, Ronald Jones, Kamryn Pettway (my personal favourite), Myles Gaskin, Bo Scarborough, LJ Scott all declared.........

I'm going Wing-T and never looking back.

Sadly, we can scratch Rawleigh Williams off the list. After another neck issue in the Razorbacks' spring game, he's decided to retire from football - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/glory_posts/next-chapter/#sm.008ni8ma10bseu511rx1q6gkhlhkp

Edited by Blokestradamus

Whenever there's a prototypical-sized white kid from anything close to a pro-style scheme, the media go nuts. Nobody wanted to hype up a Watson/Mahomes/Kizer class early doors and two of which ended up going top 12.

Guys like Darnold/Allen are a McShay/Kiper wet dream because they can sell them to the masses with consumate ease. Let us never forget the Leidner to Dallas at 25 stunt last year :D

Blokes, I usually enjoy your posts. But this is nuts. Tons of evaluators had Watson or Mahomes at the top of their lists. Throw in Trubisky and you have the core of what seemed like endless battling threads around here. As to the enthusiasm for Darnold, if his talent isn't obvious to you, then there's nothing to be said other than go watch him play.

I feel your implication that racism is the reason why Darnold excites evaluators more than a Watson does is way over the line.

Blokes, I usually enjoy your posts. But this is nuts. Tons of evaluators had Watson or Mahomes at the top of their lists. Throw in Trubisky and you have the core of what seemed like endless battling threads around here. As to the enthusiasm for Darnold, if his talent isn't obvious to you, then there's nothing to be said other than go watch him play.

I feel your implication that racism is the reason why Darnold excites evaluators more than a Watson does is way over the line.

We're talking about being one year out. Mahomes' biggest advocates were probably me and Bandit. He barely registered on many radars as a top prospect. As far into this process as March, we still had a ton of people within the media talking down this class until they realised that there were a few guys that were going way earlier than they thought.

I've watched enough of Darnold to understand the talent he has but that he's both inexperienced and has a lot to work on. The hype for guys like Allen is the thing that I find unfathomable, the 1st round hype for guys like Davis Webb or Mitch Leidner is another part of it. Christian Hackenberg as well (literally the next Luck because he was tall, white and pro-style). I'm supposed to see Allen hyped up as a potential #1 pick while Lamar Jackson is getting the "is he really a QB" treatment? Let's not forget that Marcus Mariota & Teddy Bridgewater were also picked apart in ways that others aren't subject to.

I don't expect this to be welcomed or popular but I've seen this song and dance a few times now. I'm not falling for it again.

I think there is a definite USC factor too. USC Quarterbacks get hype. Now it doesn't mean Darnold will fail because Mark Sanchez failed.... but playing Quarterback for USC makes you a nationally recognised Quarterback before you make the NFL and sometimes they are crowned too early.

I think there is a definite USC factor too. USC Quarterbacks get hype. Now it doesn't mean Darnold will fail because Mark Sanchez failed.... but playing Quarterback for USC makes you a nationally recognised Quarterback before you make the NFL and sometimes they are crowned too early.

And they also have a particular stigma of producing QB flops. I see USC and I turn the page.

We're talking about being one year out. Mahomes' biggest advocates were probably me and Bandit. He barely registered on many radars as a top prospect. As far into this process as March, we still had a ton of people within the media talking down this class until they realised that there were a few guys that were going way earlier than they thought.

I've watched enough of Darnold to understand the talent he has but that he's both inexperienced and has a lot to work on. The hype for guys like Allen is the thing that I find unfathomable, the 1st round hype for guys like Davis Webb or Mitch Leidner is another part of it. Christian Hackenberg as well (literally the next Luck because he was tall, white and pro-style). I'm supposed to see Allen hyped up as a potential #1 pick while Lamar Jackson is getting the "is he really a QB" treatment? Let's not forget that Marcus Mariota & Teddy Bridgewater were also picked apart in ways that others aren't subject to.

I don't expect this to be welcomed or popular but I've seen this song and dance a few times now. I'm not falling for it again.

Let's not forget this nugget from Greg Cossell, the king of the tall, white guys.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell: I'd take Zach Mettenberger over Jameis Winston

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/13478/greg-cosell-of-nfl-films-id-take-zach-mettenbrger-over-jamies-winston

Agreed, it's clear blokes hates white players.

I've done initial work-ups on Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Browning, Rudolph, Falk, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, and Francois thus far

If I have to give a top grade, right now it goes to Mayfield, but I've identified 7-8 that I want to watch closely.

I've done initial work-ups on Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Browning, Rudolph, Falk, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, and Francois thus far

If I have to give a top grade, right now it goes to Mayfield, but I've identified 7-8 that I want to watch closely.

What about the off field non sense that comes with Mayfield?

What about the off field non sense that comes with Mayfield?

It's definitely something to monitor, however (after reading the story), I think you can probably file that under "kid got drunk and acted like a drunk kid" for now...

Now, if it turns out, over time, to be part of a larger pattern of behavior, then yeah, I'd steer clear.

It's definitely something to monitor, however (after reading the story), I think you can probably file that under "kid got drunk and acted like a drunk kid" for now...

Now, if it turns out, over time, to be part of a larger pattern of behavior, then yeah, I'd steer clear.

I mean, I absolutely loved Mayfield, but then I saw that arrest and thought to my self, are we dealing with a Manziel or a kid making one time mistake?

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?

I mean, I absolutely loved Mayfield, but then I saw that arrest and thought to my self, are we dealing with a Manziel or a kid making one time mistake?

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?

FWIW, he knocked his written apology out of the park:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/28/14769044/baker-mayfield-arrest-apology-oklahoma-sooners

Turning to his physical stature, I'm not sure. I think he'll be in the conversation based on skill (I've thought very highly of him since his TTU days), but his size will affect it for sure. It could end up a Trubisky situation in that regard--where Mitchell silenced any concerns by measuring in at 6'2" at the combine.

Either way, if Baker goes out and continues to show poise, accuracy, and decision-making, I think he'll be fine as long as he crests 6'0".

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?[/wrote]

Not seeing it with Mayfield, people get enamored with all the stats of theses spread QBs and then it doesn't translate to the NFL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.