Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is going to be the problem this year and the next few I'm afraid...the current Franchise QBs are getting older and need to be replaced soon too. We can't afford to wait...

Thank you. It feels like OBD can avoid accountability by drafting late round flyers and passing them off a legit franchise QBs. If we wait later than the top of round two I consider it an admission of incompetence

That is going to be the problem this year and the next few I'm afraid...the current Franchise QBs are getting older and need to be replaced soon too. We can't afford to wa

Thank you. It feels like OBD can avoid accountability by drafting late round flyers and passing them off a legit franchise QBs. If we wait later than the top of round two I consider it an admission of incompetence

I'll be careful to note, that this doesn't mean be wreck-less. If you believe the guy is it; you get him.

I'll be careful to note, that this doesn't mean be wreck-less. If you believe the guy is it; you get him.

Yes but I am tired of this team trying to pass off the likes of Fitz as a franchise QB and think they are gunshy after the EJ debacle

You have no concrete basis for saying this. You, like the draft "experts", are making an educated guess. But it's still a guess. Look no farther than Dak Prescott last year.

Please put Dak behind an average O-line and an average running game and he is garbage. Guy landed in the right place at the right moment. We'll see how much he progresses this year.

Just imagine if they draft a QB at 10 and he doesn't turn into a franchise guy. All these people saying take one will be crying about how we reached. Rinse, repeat.

Please put Dak behind an average O-line and an average running game and he is garbage. Guy landed in the right place at the right moment. We'll see how much he progresses this year.

I agree that he had a primo setup in Dallas, but I've always liked the kid. Nowhere near garbage.

Yes but I am tired of this team trying to pass off the likes of Fitz as a franchise QB and think they are gunshy after the EJ debacle

No QB, no nothing in today's NFL. What is most likely going to happen is that we will patch the team up enough to push the playoffs, still miss out on a QB and be in an even worse place in 3 years...

Just imagine if they draft a QB at 10 and he doesn't turn into a franchise guy. All these people saying take one will be crying about how we reached. Rinse, repeat.

I agree that he had a primo setup in Dallas, but I've always liked the kid. Nowhere near garbage.

At least they tried which we have only tried with JP and EJ...not good enough. I could live with us missing out on QBs if we at least draft them and take a shot. I'm thrilled with WRs, CBs, S, LBs, etc with our first rounders...

No QB, no nothing in today's NFL. What is most likely going to happen is that we will patch the team up enough to push the playoffs, still miss out on a QB and be in an even worse place in 3 years...

At least they tried which we have only tried with JP and EJ...not good enough. I could live with us missing out on QBs if we at least draft them and take a shot. I'm thrilled with WRs, CBs, S, LBs, etc with our first rounders...

Excellent post. I'm sick of people crying about the EJ pick. At least they tried with a guy with a lot of mental and physical traits. I think their development of him was a joke but at least they made an effort.

If you strike out with a girl (I've never experienced this but still :) ), do you just settle down with the next girl who talks to you? Or do you look for better? The Seahawks traded for Charlie Whitehurst!!!, signed Tavaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, & hit the lottery with a 3rd round pick.

Just the opposite, I'll credit DW for rolling the dice. I'd rather see him fail in trying than backing into the 3rd round on some long shot nobody. Now if another team drafts a QB later than ten and gets the next Tom Brady I'll second guess Doug but until then I'll support him for being our GM

Just the opposite, I'll credit DW for rolling the dice. I'd rather see him fail in trying than backing into the 3rd round on some long shot nobody. Now if another team drafts a QB later than ten and gets the next Tom Brady I'll second guess Doug but until then I'll support him for being our GM

That's the thing fans like you are more the minority than the common denominator.

I wouldnt be thrilled if we took one at ten, mainly because I don't think the talent is worthy of the top ten. Coming from a big time Clemson supporter who absolutely loves Watson.

That being said, I would rather them try and find the guy than be complacent.

Unless a stud like Allen, Thomas, or Adams falls to us, I will not be happy if we pass on Watson. Will be ok with a tradedown, but will not be happy if we stay at 10 and take a WR or CB. Bills hit on Gilmore at #10 and would the past 5 years have been that much different if we whiffed on a QB instead?

That's the thing fans like you are more the minority than the common denominator.

I wouldnt be thrilled if we took one at ten, mainly because I don't think the talent is worthy of the top ten. Coming from a big time Clemson supporter who absolutely loves Watson.

That being said, I would rather them try and find the guy than be complacent.

If we get a name guy in he 2nd I won't balk but NFL history shows that only the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens made it on defense alone. The rest of SB history is written with great QBs

Also totally agree. Tyrod isn't J Montana but no one out there in this draft will out-perform him anytime soon. Other needs 1st.

Anytime soon as in 2107? Because that's as far as anyone can go before that statement becomes risky...

There are plenty of people that would have said the same thing about Dak, or Russell Wilson, Or Carr... B-)

Anytime soon as in 2107? Because that's as far as anyone can go before that statement becomes risky...

There are plenty of people that would have said the same thing about Dak, or Russell Wilson, Or Carr... B-)

I find it hard to believe no QB in this draft can throw for 200 yards a game.

Bills fans in April - "Wait until next year to draft a QB. We have other holes like backup RB and #2 WR to address."

Bills fans in September - "I can't believe we didn't draft a QB this year. Our starter stinks. Fire everyone!"

If you don't have a franchise QB and think there is one available in the draft then you draft him in the 1st round and don't think twice about it. A WLB or #2 WR isn't going to be the difference between this team making the playoffs or not.

Yes, I think all of this has been hashed out in the Tyrod Highlights thread. My biggest fear is we will be having the same conversation next off-season. It's a nightmare and we can't wake up from it!

Dude.. If the Bills really like a QB - like they think he is going to be a solid franchise guy or maybe even better - then they are going to take the guy - and they would take him at 10.

If they don't take one there, it means they don't have confidence in any of those guys to become that. And if they don't have that confidence in any of those guys - then they should draft an impact player at another position that they do have that much confidence in.

They aren't going to, nor should they, just take a shot on a QB they don't have any confidence in just because some fans want them to.

You gotta keep things in perspective.

LeSean had back to back seasons of 1,600 & 1,300 yards with Napoleon Dynamite as his qb.

/Sarcasm :oops:

From Albert Breer at MMQB:

4. I know one team that has 35 corners with draftable grades. That is an insane number—this particular team has 15-20 draftable CBs in an average year. One secondary coach told me he thinks some fourth- and fifth-rounders will start for NFL teams in the fall.

5. A lot has been made over QB Mitchell Trubisky only starting 13 games at North Carolina. One explanation his coaches have given to NFL teams scouting Trubisky: 2014-15 starter Marquise Williams hails from fertile recruiting ground, so benching him would have consequences.

6. I’d bet Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes are the three quarterbacks to go in the first round. What’s weird: There’s more consensus that Watson can play, but seemingly fewer teams that have fallen for him than for the other two.

7. As for when they start coming off the board, it appears the belief out there continues to be that Buffalo at 10 is the team that you have to leapfrog if you want to trade up for a quarterback.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/20/aaron-hernandez-suicide-nfl-impact-notebook

So, kick Cardale to the curb? Is he already a bust?

He was a 4th rounder QB - he doesn't have to be a "bust" to not be a franchise QB. If we was expected to be a franchise QB, he wouldn't have been there.

That's not to say anyone has to give up on him improving, but you want to be realistic about his chances when making decisions about who else to get.

"Oh we don't want Mahomes if he's there in the 2nd - because we have Cardale Jones" would not be a logical statement.

Edited by BobChalmers

Co

He was a 4th rounder QB - he doesn't have to be a "bust" to not be a franchise QB. If we was expected to be a franchise QB, he wouldn't have been there.

That's not to say anyone has to give up on him improving, but you want to be realistic about his chances when making decisions about who else to get.

"Oh we don't want Mahomes if he's there in the 2nd - because we have Cardale Jones" would not be a logical statement.

Correct. A decent outcome for a 4th or 5th round QB would be career backup.

FWIW I came away from watching Gruden's QB camp shows this weekend wanting Mahomes.

Watson had EJ written all over him. Great guy. Not great NFL QB skills. Even Gruden's end quote was telling - "I want him on my team, I want him in my family." He didn't say "I want him starting at QB for me." Yup, EJ.

Trubisky looked and sounded as raw as his 13 games would imply. He might be the best available, but who knows.

Peterman was sharp as a tack, nice accuracy, noodle arm. The second coming of Chad Pennington.

Mahomes impressed the hell out of me. Beast physical talent and fiery attitude. The Favre comparisons seem about right. He'd be amazing behind Tyrod too - Tyrod knows how to not throw silly interceptions - the one thing Mahomes will do. His father was an 10-year MLB pitcher so he grew up seeing what it takes, and also his serious Texas draaaaaawwwwll cracks me up.

Edited by BobChalmers

There are plenty of pieces for a QB. We spent 2 #1 picks on WR, spent $$ on TE, have a top 3 RB, a top NFL rushing attack.

What???? There were multiple games last year in which a street free agent was the Bills WR1. Compare Tyrod's stats in those games to when Woods and Watkins were both healthy.

Drafting a QB in round 1 this year means Cardale will never get a chance to develop here. I'm ok with taking a QB in the draft, but it should not be in the first couple rounds. I think taking Chad Kelly in round 5 or 6 makes a lot of sense. Low cost, huge upside. Let him compete with Cardale and a vet for the backup job.

What???? There were multiple games last year in which a street free agent was the Bills WR1. Compare Tyrod's stats in those games to when Woods and Watkins were both healthy.

Drafting a QB in round 1 this year means Cardale will never get a chance to develop here. I'm ok with taking a QB in the draft, but it should not be in the first couple rounds. I think taking Chad Kelly in round 5 or 6 makes a lot of sense. Low cost, huge upside. Let him compete with Cardale and a vet for the backup job.

If we're making decisions on when to draft a QB based on having Cardale then this team is doomed. Cardale shouldn't factor into the equation at all.

If we're making decisions on when to draft a QB based on having Cardale then this team is doomed. Cardale shouldn't factor into the equation at all.

No, based on having a pretty good starting QB who has the potential to improve, as well as Cardale, who has more upside than any QB who's been on the Bills' roster the past 20 years.

No, based on having a pretty good starting QB who has the potential to improve, as well as Cardale, who has more upside than any QB who's been on the Bills' roster the past 20 years.

You can put your eggs in the Cardale basket if you'd like but if McD and Whaley like a QB early then they should take him.

Cardale' upside starts and ends with him being big and having a huge arm. Guys like that come and go every year. Throw him on the practice squad if you want but his presence shouldn't deter me from taking someone high. Tyrod is a placeholder at this point. Let the rookie sit and learn for a year. This is a great time for a new WB to come in with no pressure to perform right away. Tyrod is good enough to hold things down for next year.

SMH He is much better than Fitz. The Bills had the least pass attempts in the NFL because they rely so heavily on the run. Taylor has a very good deep ball. He's a good game manager for this offense. 47 TDs, 15 turnovers and 1000 yards rushing is far from terrible. His presence makes the running game better, and they will need that with no MG.

He's so bad yet Watkins had a breakout year in 2015.

The problem is that he got quite a bit worse last year when teams had a year of film on him.

It's not a coincidence that people who support Tyrod don't want to talk about last year, that they instead want to talk about 2015 or combine the two years and look at them together.

Tyrod's a good bridge guy, but we need to bring in QBs until we find a franchise guy. Maybe it'll be Tyrod, though I really doubt it at this point, but we need to bring in guys until we find one.

I'm not convinced that we should get one in the 1st, but I'm sure not against it either. Do a good job scouting these guys and make the right decisions on them. But if you think that one of them might need a year or two on the bench but then become good, grab him whenever you need to do it so you're sure you get him. Even if the gurus say you got a bad value because they want to argue that first rounders should start the first year. Forget that nonsense. Get a franchise guy.

The likelihood of a bridge QB suddenly becoming a franchise guy in his seventh year in the league is miniscule. It's happened basically once with Rich Gannon, out of the hundreds of guys who've been in position to make that leap. It's possible, but not only should you not bet the rent, you shouldn't throw a nickel in the wishing well for it.

As for Cardale, keep him on the team. There's no rule that you can't keep four QBs. It's easier than ever with the five guys who don't dress each week.

Edited by Thurman#1

FWIW I came away from watching Gruden's QB camp shows this weekend wanting Mahomes.

Watson had EJ written all over him. Great guy. Not great NFL QB skills. Even Gruden's end quote was telling - "I want him on my team, I want him in my family." He didn't say "I want him starting at QB for me." Yup, EJ.

Trubisky looked and sounded as raw as his 13 games would imply. He might be the best available, but who knows.

Peterman was sharp as a tack, nice accuracy, noodle arm. The second coming of Chad Pennington.

Mahomes impressed the hell out of me. Beast physical talent and fiery attitude. The Favre comparisons seem about right. He'd be amazing behind Tyrod too - Tyrod knows how to not throw silly interceptions - the one thing Mahomes will do. His father was an 10-year MLB pitcher so he grew up seeing what it takes, and also his serious Texas draaaaaawwwwll cracks me up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Watson is nothing like Manuel.

The funny thing is people knock Trubisky for only starting so many games, yet they are over evaluating Watson because the amount of tape on the kid.

Watson absolutely can make every throw and has that IT factor. May not always be pretty, but either was Matt ryan coming out.

You get Derek Carr and QB's like him in the draft. Bills refuse to spend high draft picks on QB's and instead go dumpster diving for other team's backups.

Bills could have drafted Derek Carr in 2014 but instead spent 2 1st round picks on a WR.

Everyone could've drafted Carr you fool. Even the Raiders passed on him in the first. "We should of drafted Brady too right?!?". You are so smart.

Point missed.

No I got your point. You want us to draft Mahomes at 10. Last time we spent a 1st rd pick on a QB we reached for EJ. You want us to reach again for Mahomes....you are smarter than us.

...and for the record, Sal M is the Jerry Sullivan here in Rochester. I like him a lot but he is known as Ebineazor cuz he comes off as very negative. He really knows his stuff however, unlike the Buckys and Jerrys at BN.

No I got your point. You want us to draft Mahomes at 10. Last time we spent a 1st rd pick on a QB we reached for EJ. You want us to reach again for Mahomes....you are smarter than us.

EJ Manuel is not in the same world as Mahomes as a prospect.

The idea that the Bills should stop drafting QB's is a loser mentality that fits a losing franchise.

EJ Manuel is not in the same world as Mahomes as a prospect.

The idea that the Bills should stop drafting QB's is a loser mentality that fits a losing franchise.

I think most people are on that boat we need to continue drafting QBs until we hit one but it's where people actually want a QB drafted is where lies the difference.

I have one question for you, do you think the defense was good enough last year?