Changes coming to Bills front office?

who was the GM in 2013?

Whaley was after the draft. An incoming GM would have a huge say in that draft. He had huge input in the EJ pick.

I don't know what would change, but here is what I hope would change...

Hopefully the new GM would handle the draft differently. More standing pat and trading down to stockpile picks instead of targeting players for trading up and losing picks. I would hope the new GM would put more resources into finding that elusive franchise QB. Taylor is a nice placeholder, but this team needs a franchise guy.

The new GM should be able to do a better job of cap management and putting together a complete roster that isn't as top heavy and has less holes with more character guys that put football and team first. The new GM should also be better at massaging the free agency process better to get valuable compensatory picks, this goes hand in hand with drafting better and having more picks. Also the new guy should be a better leader than Whaley, get along better with the coaching staff, and have much better communication skills and presence.

Also with a new GM the power structure should change with the coach reporting to the GM who reports to ownership. No more of this crap where they both report to ownership independently. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

This is a very good post. Spot on.

^^^^^ This is the GODs honest TRUTH! ^^^^^

The team is just starting to recover from being on "life support" for the better part of a decade.

Ahem... you forgot Roswell, NM. I heard that Whaley was the one who ordered the debris to be taken to Area 51.

Whaley would not be hired as a GM for 31 other organizations.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley was after the draft. An incoming GM would have a huge say in that draft. He had huge input in the EJ pick.

This is a very good post. Spot on.

Whaley would not be hired as a GM for 31 other organizations.

Past is the past... Look towards the future..

Hurricane is right, there's no point drudging up the past, or being fixated on one trade, one draft, or one selection in the draft

Its about winning games, making the playoffs, and a whole body of work in building the best 53 person team year in and year out

So if DW can build a perennial playoff team here, from this point forward, great he's the guy

And if he can't they outta bring in someone else who can

The big question is, how many years, will they give him to succeed?

I like DW, I think he's done a decent job upgrading the talent, from where we were in 2011, 2013, etc

But its still not good enough, unfort he hasn't succeeded, on the field, where it counts

And 2017 so far isn't looking a potential 10-11 win season

If I'm the Pegs, I'm giving him this year, and then moving on if there is not progress...

jc

I think there is more to being a GM than you realize.

You can think whatever you like, after all you're just a robot and Pegs isn't paying you to think. Try facts and not alternate ones. Belichick is the de facto GM of the New England Patriots. Hire the right coach. Edited by iinii

It's also quite clear that Lynn was unhappy to be placed into that position and left to dangle because the GM -- whom numerous asked to speak to -- declined all interview requests.

Had Whaley deemed to make himself available and not spend the practice period open to the media hiding in the off-limits weight-room area, then Lynn and the Bills would not be placed in a decision to be exposed to what occurred.

Otherwise, Lynn was not pestered about who fired Rex.

jw

Wasn't Whaley's place to John. It was Terry's. He fired Rex. He should have been there front and centre. I know he doesn't like doing it, it doesn't matter. It is called leadership.

In the absence of Terry would it have been better Doug than just ALynn? Sure. But it was Terry who should have been on the stand... he just fired his hand picked Head Coach. Jeff Laurie did it best the year before when firing Chip at a similar stage. A total coincidence that we have replaced Scott with a guy from that Eagles organisation? Or a recognition that they got it right while we failed?

Do you actually hold anyone responsible for this drought? Before Whaley and now with him?Whaley is going on his fifth year as GM. Not enough time I suppose. Just a lot of bad luck.

But if it true that he has never picked HIS coach then the drought cant be placed on him. He is doing well with the roster and now has a quality coaching staff. The clock starts now imho.

Wasn't Whaley's place to John. It was Terry's. He fired Rex. He should have been there front and centre. I know he doesn't like doing it, it doesn't matter. It is called leadership.

In the absence of Terry would it have been better Doug than just ALynn? Sure. But it was Terry who should have been on the stand... he just fired his hand picked Head Coach. Jeff Laurie did it best the year before when firing Chip at a similar stage. A total coincidence that we have replaced Scott with a guy from that Eagles organisation? Or a recognition that they got it right while we failed?

Sure, Pegula was ultimately responsible, and Whaley had justification to avoid the situation because of that. But to those saying Whaley should be given more power, here was a vacuum for him to step up and show some leadership skills. Fail.

Many companies don't promote and then see how you handle the new responsibility of the position. They give you some of those "new" responsibilities or judge how you step up to situations beyond your current responsibilities before deciding on the promotion.

Then please tell us all why you approve of Whaley and the FO.

Why in heck everything black or white? This isn't about approval. It's about reality. There is no evidence that there is friction. There is one story (repeated by other media) that something is up. This from a guy who hasn't been right often with his Bills coverage.

I know it's hard to maintain perspective when you are mid-orgasm over another anti-Whaley rumor, but try to separate the speculation from the facts.

Why in heck everything black or white? This isn't about approval. It's about reality. There is no evidence that there is friction. There is one story (repeated by other media) that something is up. This from a guy who hasn't been right often with his Bills coverage.

I know it's hard to maintain perspective when you are mid-orgasm over another anti-Whaley rumor, but try to separate the speculation from the facts.

You're in the wrong place

Hilarious!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

Obviously Whaley was making the picks. Buddy Nix would never draft an undersized linebacker from Oregon.

Whaley was the de facto GM since August of 2012, when the college scouting season started in earnest and that includes being in the Kirk chair for the draft as you indicated.

NO, If you make an assertion then back it up with a link.

ELSE it is just BS.

NO what it means is you are throwing a temper tantrum much like a child. It happened go look it up or review the post that was posted earlier in the thread with the picture and one of the links. Just because you dont see it doesnt make it not true.

...think the whole thing is pretty simple IMO.....Pegula did not get to where he is today living under a rock....he got sick of Regier's act and canned his ass......he got sick of Wreck's Clown Show and despite being on the hook for $ 16.5 mil (offset language with ESPN hiring helps now), he canned his sorry ass.....he moved Brandon TOTALLY away from any say in personnel matters for any sports team he owns....seems pretty clear to me that he had a big hand in McCoach's hiring.....pretty clear message for the boyz to work together to TP's satisfaction or somebody will be packing shortly...Mr.& Mrs. Pegula project one helluva public image throughout Buffalo and WNY......an embarrassing or dysfunctional organization will probably cost those perpetrators their job(s)....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Obviously Whaley was making the picks. Buddy Nix would never draft an undersized linebacker from Oregon.

Buddy Nix was GM for the 2013 draft. Buddy Nix said he was going to make sure a QB was in place before he left and took EJ (which of course did not work out).

Buddy Nix was GM for the 2013 draft. Buddy Nix said he was going to make sure a QB was in place before he left and took EJ (which of course did not work out).

...ironically, Genome was actually OBD's 1st choice until they flew down to interview/work him out....consensus on plane ride home was, "um no thanks".....EJ was their 2nd choice.......and he did not work out like the majority who fail versus being successful at the NFL level.....so how long to we go ass backwards to debate Buddy-Whaley-Whaley-Buddy and who the hell picked whom?.....

Hey old time. What's past is past. I am one who believes people should be judged in what they actually do and not what someone thinks they do.

OK. Lets ignore the gossip "or reporting" of Whaley clashing with 3 separate coaching staffs, the battle over whose responsible for EJ Manuel, the horrendous public speaking and questionable cap management and draft strategy.

Doug Whaley has been Assistant GM and Director of Pro Player Personnel from 2010 to 2012 and GM from 2013 to current. In his position of great power as either the 2nd most powerful figure in the front to office to currently the most powerful the Bills have a record of 46-66 with 0 playoff appearances.

Strictly speaking as GM, the Bills have a record of 30-34 and 0 playoff appearances despite Whaley going for it, by going to the cap and making several trade ups and mortgaging the future.

Sorry, but that simply isn't good enough, especially when he doesn't have to operate under the budget and meddling constraints of Ralph C Wilson.

NO what it means is you are throwing a temper tantrum much like a child. It happened go look it up or review the post that was posted earlier in the thread with the picture and one of the links. Just because you dont see it doesnt make it not true.

No one is acting like a child except you.

If you make an assertion then you need to back it up with links. Otherwise it is purely YOUR opinion.

Regardless of popular belief, you can't just make up REALITY.

You asserted that Whaley was fighting with Rex and now McD. I asked you for a link to support your assertion.

If you cannot provide a link then what you are asserting is opinion or speculation - NOT FACT.

Please provide a link.

Edited by cd1

OK. Lets ignore the gossip "or reporting" of Whaley clashing with 3 separate coaching staffs, the battle over whose responsible for EJ Manuel, the horrendous public speaking and questionable cap management and draft strategy.

Doug Whaley has been Assistant GM and Director of Pro Player Personnel from 2010 to 2012 and GM from 2013 to current. In his position of great power as either the 2nd most powerful figure in the front to office to currently the most powerful the Bills have a record of 46-66 with 0 playoff appearances.

Strictly speaking as GM, the Bills have a record of 30-34 and 0 playoff appearances despite Whaley going for it, by going to the cap and making several trade ups and mortgaging the future.

Sorry, but that simply isn't good enough, especially when he doesn't have to operate under the budget and meddling constraints of Ralph C Wilson.

So it's your contention that Whaley is solely responsible for 30-34 record? Rex was a helpless bystander?

reading this, makes good sense and makes one wonder how there are those who adamantly defend his position.

then I see above it has to be other areas of blame, excuses as to why should it be solely on him...well, everything should fall on the general manager since he is supposedly managing the team towards success. where is the success?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

No one is acting like a child except you.

If you make an assertion then you need to back it up with links. Otherwise it is purely YOUR opinion.

Regardless of popular belief, you can't just make up REALITY.

You asserted that Whaley was fighting with Rex and now McD. I asked you for a link to support your assertion.

If you cannot provide a link then what you are asserting is opinion or speculation - NOT FACT.

Please provide a link.

A - I stated that Whaley has been known to get into it with previous hcs as evidence by his and Marrones spat in the sidelines in tc.

B - Acting ignorant ( i use the dictionary term) doesnt mean it didnt happen.

C - It was posted in this thread by bills fan 1973.

D- If a tree falls in the forest and cd1 didnt hear it or see it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

E- There was a spat, it was reported by quite a few reporters who seen and heard what went on.

Nice summary. This chump = seven years of failure, permanently stained with the stench of losing and the curse of Ralph. Sad!

A - I stated that Whaley has been known to get into it with previous hcs as evidence by his and Marrones spat in the sidelines in tc.

B - Acting ignorant ( i use the dictionary term) doesnt mean it didnt happen.

C - It was posted in this thread by bills fan 1973.

D- If a tree falls in the forest and cd1 didnt hear it or see it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

E- There was a spat, it was reported by quite a few reporters who seen and heard what went on.

You have stated "he said/she said" over and over. THAT does not make it true.

PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK - Thank you.

You have stated "he said/she said" over and over. THAT does not make it true.

PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK - Thank you.

Its in this thread right after the first time you said it. Along with the words I actually used. So go back and read for what was asked by you to be posted and read what was posted. Its there, once again you are just rumbling on ignoring the fact that it was posted and also changing what I actually stated. You are beginning to act like a troll.

Which is why I said earlier he is on the hot seat

Who chose Rex? If he was really Whaley's pick, I think he'd be gone already. If he wasn't, as most who give "excuses" surmise, I have no problem seeing how DW does with McD.

russ brandon wanted rex badly to sell season tickets and sponsorship deals.

russ was even preparing rex to make a good first impression on Pegula by feeding rex info on terry's red wine preferences

The back and forth on this Whaley topic is making my brain bleed. Just fire the poor guy already. I don't think he's been a terrible GM, but he is a PR nightmare and apparently is really difficult to work with. The Pegulas are partially to blame here as they haven't always put him in a position of strength with the media or the HC. Hopefully the learn from this whole thing as owners.