Jay Cutler for backup?

Dennison definitely had a say though. The Bills could have declined TT's option and signed Cutler for less than that. They did not do that. They clearly preferred Tyrod to Cutler (I would assume that the overwhelming majority of the NFL feels the same way). It doesn't mean that Cutler is awful, it just means that he is a lesser player than Taylor today. The numbers certainly support that.

They prefer Taylor but Cutler would be better backup option.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennison definitely had a say though. The Bills could have declined TT's option and signed Cutler for less than that. They did not do that. They clearly preferred Tyrod to Cutler (I would assume that the overwhelming majority of the NFL feels the same way). It doesn't mean that Cutler is awful, it just means that he is a lesser player than Taylor today. The numbers certainly support that.

Again, I'm not disputing that Dennison had a say in retaining TT. I'm saying that no OC in the NFL is marrying a QB as his "guy" for years because he had a couple good practices 3 years ago. I still have no doubt if Cutty was out #2, it would be TT's job to lose.

But get Cutty in a system he's had success in, with a change of scenery, and he could push TT IMO. It wasn't that long ago he was a better QB than 20th in the NFL.

Remember that Dennison didn't love TT enough to want to keep him at the original contract. It's not all rainbows and lollipops.

Edited by FireChan

Never disliked Cutler.

Bring him in and compete with Taylor as the starter. Why backup?

Competition might be what Cutler actually needs to wake the hell up. He has the tools and has demonstrated he can be a top10 QB in the past. People forgot the swiss cheese O-lines that Chicago has given him the last 3 years. Oh, then get rid of Forte and Marshall. lol

We are still in QB purg!

Edited by Real McCoy

He is this generation's Jeff George. Tons of physical talent but does not take advantage of it because of his arrogance and attitude. If the Bills are going to sign a vet who no one else wants as a QB, it would make more sense to sign Kaepernick or Griffin. They at least have similar physical traits to TT and thus you wouldn't have to have a separate offense to run with if TT went down.

Chicago prefers Mike Glennon to Cutler. That should tell you what you need to know.

He is this generation's Jeff George. Tons of physical talent but does not take advantage of it because of his arrogance and attitude. If the Bills are going to sign a vet who no one else wants as a QB, it would make more sense to sign Kaepernick or Griffin. They at least have similar physical traits to TT and thus you wouldn't have to have a separate offense to run with if TT went down.

Chicago prefers Mike Glennon to Cutler. That should tell you what you need to know.

...and the Jets preferred McCown to Cutler as well............

Never disliked Cutler.

Competition might be what Cutler actually needs to wake the hell up. He has the tools and has demonstrated he can be a top10 QB in the past.

We are still in QB purg!

Good point. Competition is always a good thing

I lived in Chicago for many of the Cutler years. Although he has improved slightly, the guy is a turnover machine. He also has a bad attitude and is not a team guy. Aside from all of that, he is a very talented passer who would present a threat to Taylor and I think that his presence would be bad for team chemistry. He'd take camp and practice snaps away from Cardale, slowing his development, and have (as another poster mentioned earlier) Taylor looking over his shoulder. Every time Taylor makes a mistake, fans would be clamoring for Cutler. On top of all of this, I don't believe he'd work on the cheap. He has made enough money in his career to retire, so I believe (also stated by another poster) that he would rather retire than settle for a backup role and/or backup money. All signs point to NO with this guy. A more appropriate type of backup would be the role that a Shaun Hill or Matt Hasselbeck have played for their teams in recent years. Team-first guys with good attitudes who are fine being the backup and will help both the starter in front of them on the depth chart as well as the young developmental guy beneath them.

Who got starting jobs ahead of Cutler? Glennon, Hoyer, Foles, McCown to name 4. Who got backup jobs ahead of Cutler? Jones, Barkley, Smith, Manuel, & Moore. Let that sink in. E.J. Manuel got a backup job ahead of Cutler. What does that tell you, at a minimum, about what Cutler is bringing to the table? Baggage and plenty of it. Pass.

Who got starting jobs ahead of Cutler? Glennon, Hoyer, Foles, McCown to name 4. Who got backup jobs ahead of Cutler? Jones, Barkley, Smith, Manuel, & Moore. Let that sink in. E.J. Manuel got a backup job ahead of Cutler. What does that tell you, at a minimum, about what Cutler is bringing to the table? Baggage and plenty of it. Pass.

Cutler is better than Cardale. Taylor is injury prone. Easy as that.

EJ didn't get a backup job. He got a camp body job.

Hell no...backups are getting paid $7-8 million these days with any type of credentials.

Draft one for $600K

Cutler is better than Cardale. Taylor is injury prone. Easy as that.

Not $6.5-7 million better....dude is a turnover machine

Again, I'm not disputing that Dennison had a say in retaining TT. I'm saying that no OC in the NFL is marrying a QB as his "guy" for years because he had a couple good practices 3 years ago. I still have no doubt if Cutty was out #2, it would be TT's job to lose.

But get Cutty in a system he's had success in, with a change of scenery, and he could push TT IMO. It wasn't that long ago he was a better QB than 20th in the NFL.

Remember that Dennison didn't love TT enough to want to keep him at the original contract. It's not all rainbows and lollipops.

All that I am saying is that they could have had either/or with Cutler making less. They still chose TT. You originally said, "cutler will probably beat him out." That is what I disputed. If the Bills believed he was better they could have gotten him for $10M a year or so and let TT walk.

All that I am saying is that they could have had either/or with Cutler making less. They still chose TT. You originally said, "cutler will probably beat him out." That is what I disputed. If the Bills believed he was better they could have gotten him for $10M a year or so and let TT walk.

I think Cutler would beat him out probably. That doesn't mean the coaches think that.

He played through injuries. Fact. That will catch up to him.

Not necessarily, it's football, everybody is banged up. We have seen that he is able to get on the field. Why should we assume what we have seen will change? Past performance is the best indicator of future results.

I think Cutler would beat him out probably. That doesn't mean the coaches think that.

Then we just disagree. I don't see the team going with a guy that makes less plays and significantly more mistakes.

Not necessarily, it's football, everybody is banged up. We have seen that he is able to get on the field. Why should we assume what we have seen will change? Past performance is the best indicator of future results.

Then we just disagree. I don't see the team going with a guy that makes less plays and significantly more mistakes.

It will unless he becomes more of a pocket passer

One word. Guts. Mobility. Toughness.

One word. Guts. Mobility. Toughness.

Yes....Tyrod has none of those things

Kirby it doesnt matter that he throws picks like they are candy......he throws for over 300 yards dammit!

Never disliked Cutler.

Competition might be what Cutler actually needs to wake the hell up. He has the tools and has demonstrated he can be a top10 QB in the past. People forgot the swiss cheese O-lines that Chicago has given him the last 3 years. Oh, then get rid of Forte and Marshall. lol

We are still in QB purg!

After all these years you think Cutler will wake up?

How? He was on injury report all the time

So is Tom Brady and half the Patriots roster every week

#6 hasn't been relevant in years. Tyrod would smoke em.

...the thought of seeing his puss sitting at the end of the bench moping while TT starts is plain nauseating.....his greatest accomplishment is fleecing da Bears for 54 mil guaranteed.......

I think Cutler will wait to see if any starting QBs get hurt and a team gets desperate (like the Vikes last year) rather than signing a cheap backup deal now.

He would be a nice insurance policy if TT gets hurt which is possible considering he's the top running QB in the league. I still think Cutler is a spoiled brat, but he would be one of the top backups in the nfl...

If fans decide who starts or Tyrod is scared of Cutler. This organization will never win. Competition breeds winners.

Yeah, remember that's why we had Lewis and Tuel as backups to EJ because they didn't want him looking over his shoulder. I believe the same was done with Edwards and bringing in Fitz as backup.