Any way you slice it Kaepernick represents good value

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former soldier who participated in all the privations and dangers associated with ground combat, I have to disagree with characterizations of the Air Force as the "chair force." My brothers and sisters in the sky deserve respect.

And I don't understand why it's not okay for Kap to disrespect the flag but it is okay to disparage the veterans who risked their lives for that flag.

Then again, I don't know why it's okay to disparage people in general. We disagree. Big deal. Intelligent, well-intentioned people disagree all the time. We don't need to attack people who disagree with us. Personal attacks accomplish nothing.

The Bills have lost 475 games since their inception - 53.4% of their games. We all share that history of false dreams, broken promises, and disappointed hopes. We've all suffered through some - or all - of those losses together. All of us on this board bleed red, white and royal blue. Our shared Bills fandom has already given us enough poop to deal with. We don't need to add to that already immense load by throwing poop at each other.

IMHO.

Good value to Tiger-Cats

CFL team now owns the rights to Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cfl-team-now-owns-the-rights-to-colin-kaepernick-and-robert-griffin-iii/weren't they both in the pro bowl the same year?

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have an affinity for former NFL franchise quarterbacks

weren't they both in the pro bowl the same year?

As a former soldier who participated in all the privations and dangers associated with ground combat, I have to disagree with characterizations of the Air Force as the "chair force." My brothers and sisters in the sky deserve respect.

And I don't understand why it's not okay for Kap to disrespect the flag but it is okay to disparage the veterans who risked their lives for that flag.

Then again, I don't know why it's okay to disparage people in general. We disagree. Big deal. Intelligent, well-intentioned people disagree all the time. We don't need to attack people who disagree with us. Personal attacks accomplish nothing.

The Bills have lost 475 games since their inception - 53.4% of their games. We all share that history of false dreams, broken promises, and disappointed hopes. We've all suffered through some - or all - of those losses together. All of us on this board bleed red, white and royal blue. Our shared Bills fandom has already given us enough poop to deal with. We don't need to add to that already immense load by throwing poop at each other.

IMHO.

never said anything disparaging about vets.. simply saying that him speaking as a veteran for all veterans was a joke. And anyone saying that because they served this countrybit gives a bigger right to speak about freedom and the viewpoints of what is right or wrong with patriotism.

. But calling them chair force is a knock as old as time. Navy are squids. Army glorified boy scouts. Marines crazy masochists.

Are you referring to me? I never said I spoke for everyone in the military. Also, inter-service ball busting is fine among those who have served, but when civilians do it, not so much. Unless you have served in the US Military, them you will NEVER get the immense pride we have for serving our country and how serious we take those who disrespect it.

Are you referring to me? I never said I spoke for everyone in the military. Also, inter-service ball busting is fine among those who have served, but when civilians do it, not so much. Unless you have served in the US Military, them you will NEVER get the immense pride we have for serving our country and how serious we take those who disrespect it.

no, not specifically. just whomever was all about having served and how it means more to know what patriotism is and the freedoms of this country because they served vs. someone who didn't. and oddly, kaepernick can make fun of the police, who are just as important as the military... but, if i make fun of the air force, as i have clearly shown - it just isn't the same. an exercise in irony, brought to you by me. especially, after the whole shift n shift e shift v shift e shift r statement. that really hits it home to say i will never - to your knowledge of nothing about me be able to grasp it. bravo.

everyone who gets sour grapes because i make fun of the air force in silly fashion is fine with kaepernick dissing the police? and, even the military, to some regard, as he praised castro - which is hilarious. and he didn't vote. and he did nothing to help anyone until a PR company and his agent smacked him around the room a while to show him he was going to look as retarded as he is for being so brash and stupid.

so, i guess because i am not a minority millionaire playing a childrens game i cannot speak in a negative way about LEO's, the military, or anything. my bad. i forgot how progressives these days work. maga.

Edited by Boyst62

He also made it public that he will no longer " protest" . Just a little damage control for his image as he tries to land an NFL job.

Was the other $450k or so donated the last couple months also just to get a job?

Is there anything wrong with the guy balancing the diminishing impact of kneeling with still maximizing his income and visibility (potentially for future activism)?

I waffle a bit on whether I agree with his stance but I sure don't think he's doing this stuff to maximize his own wealth.

Edited by NoSaint

Was the other $450k or so donated the last couple months also just to get a job?

Is there anything wrong with the guy balancing the diminishing impact of kneeling with still maximizing his income and visibility (potentially for future activism)?

I waffle a bit on whether I agree with his stance but I sure don't think he's doing this stuff to maximize his own wealth.

Maybe it was. I don't know. Not saying there's anything wrong with it. He's got a small window of time to play in the NFL, so why not try to keep it open as long as possible?

Maybe it was. I don't know. Not saying there's anything wrong with it. He's got a small window of time to play in the NFL, so why not try to keep it open as long as possible?

Especially if wanting to be impactful. He's far more valuable to his passions as a revenue generator and mouthpiece than a guy that's blackballed. He made his statement, and contributed to a large national discussion and then followed up by putting his money where his mouth was. I think he can stand back up without it selling out his cause

I also think at times he let the situation get away from him (pig socks served no ends) but generally speaking I don't find kneeling offensive or team destroying or a lot of what it was called. My politics and his politics might land in different spots (though not wildly different) but I'd have to try pretty hard to genuinely be upset with him.

Edited by NoSaint

Kap just donated $50,000 to Meals on Wheels. What a ****ty person amirite?

Just came here to post this.

The over-reaction to him not standing in protest to an actual problem in this country is ridiculous. You don't agree, fine. But to demonize the kid is just pathetic.

And if you don't believe that it's an actual problem, watch the Oscar-nominated doc 13th. It's amazing.)

I respect the man. Until we can prove that we can IMPROVE QBs, he is a terrible idea. Look at the track record - EJ got worse. Tyrod didn't get better. Our best QB in the last 10 years was Fitz. and I'm depressed writing this. LOL

Of course not. I imagine he has most of the $20M or so post-tax money he's earned, but let's be serious; his role as an activist or anything else largely depends on his ability to continue staying in the public spotlight by playing football.

If he wanted to be a full time activist he'd have announced that by now. He wants to keep adding to his fortune before he decides what's next in life. The charitable contributions are an investment in his brand, which has probably taken more of a hit than he anticipated.

Of course not. I imagine he has most of the $20M or so post-tax money he's earned, but let's be serious; his role as an activist or anything else largely depends on his ability to continue staying in the public spotlight by playing football.

If he wanted to be a full time activist he'd have announced that by now. He wants to keep adding to his fortune before he decides what's next in life. The charitable contributions are an investment in his brand, which has probably taken more of a hit than he anticipated.

Come on man, talk about downing a glass of hater aide. First, Kap has been giving back for a long time, and he does NOT announce it. He has given a ton to the community, to kids, to his camp, etc. He has given more money than most people will make on this board in their life time, and that was BEFORE the kneeling. And he doesn't do it for his brand...he doesn't announce it...he doesnt talk about it. In fact, a TON of people came out in his defense talking about all the money and time he has given those organizations when he started getting heat over the kneeling so people would know all these things he does in the community.

I mean no offense, but your post is the entire problem around him. The man CONTINUES to give...but now you have decided it serves a narrative of self interest despite the fact its perfectly in line with what he has done way before the kneeling. He could save a baby from a burning building and you people would make it a negative story...spin it to say he hates babies and only did it to get a job. I mean its ABSURD.

And finally, he is a football player not a "full time activist". He wants to continue his career, and he has every right to and deserves that right. He doesn't owe you or anyone else anything, he doesnt have to quit football and become a full time activist for him to stand up for something that he didn't think was right.

Nothing personal man, its just this kind of narrative just really irritates me, so sorry for the rant.

PS: To everyone else: If you don't give as much of yourself and time as he does for your own community, then you don't really have the right to criticize the person he is.

The over-reaction to him not standing in protest to an actual problem in this country is ridiculous. You don't agree, fine. But to demonize the kid is just pathetic.

And if you don't believe that it's an actual problem, watch the Oscar-nominated doc 13th. It's amazing.)

THIS!

Edited by Alphadawg7

The way I see it is that there is no middle ground,you're either for freedom of speech or you're against it. Telling someone what to say or think is hardly freedom.

I do not see these as opposing points of view. He has the right to protest. How he protested can easily be seen as disrespectful. So I can support his right to protest but I think he could have done it in a better way.

I share Kaep's politics

So likely do alot of players in the NFL and on our Bills

However a decision to bring him in as a backup to TT should not be based on anybody's politics, but his abilities as a football player

And I think he would make a superb backup QB in Buffalo

A big upgrade to what we had in EJM

However it would have to be reasonable money wise and likely on short term contract

And I suspect contractual speaking our Bills and Kaep would likely not be on the same page

Great idea though

Kaepernick was protesting the shooting of unarmed black men, and then some Bills fans were selling t-shirts of Kaepernick (a black man) in the crosshairs. I'm 99% sure the irony of that was unintentional & unrealized.

Come on man, talk about downing a glass of hater aide. First, Kap has been giving back for a long time, and he does NOT announce it. He has given a ton to the community, to kids, to his camp, etc. He has given more money than most people will make on this board in their life time, and that was BEFORE the kneeling. And he doesn't do it for his brand...he doesn't announce it...he doesnt talk about it. In fact, a TON of people came out in his defense talking about all the money and time he has given those organizations when he started getting heat over the kneeling so people would know all these things he does in the community.

I mean no offense, but your post is the entire problem around him. The man CONTINUES to give...but now you have decided it serves a narrative of self interest despite the fact its perfectly in line with what he has done way before the kneeling. He could save a baby from a burning building and you people would make it a negative story...spin it to say he hates babies and only did it to get a job. I mean its ABSURD.

And finally, he is a football player not a "full time activist". He wants to continue his career, and he has every right to and deserves that right. He doesn't owe you or anyone else anything, he doesnt have to quit football and become a full time activist for him to stand up for something that he didn't think was right.

Nothing personal man, its just this kind of narrative just really irritates me, so sorry for the rant.

PS: To everyone else: If you don't give as much of yourself and time as he does for your own community, then you don't really have the right to criticize the person he is.

THIS!

Silly. Of course people can criticize him, just like you criticized them. And he IS a football player and DOES have the right to pursue that, and teams have the right NOT to pick him up even if it's soley due to sensitivity about their brand and fan base....or their concern he just ain't good enough or any combination thereof.

One big part of the whole deal for me came when ESPN ran a promo for Bills/9ers and CK's protest. Some days I just want to watch football and not have some Oprahesque subdrama storyline.

Your post about the prior post being the problem is part of the problem, just the other side of it. And I do mean that with respect for your position as well.

there is a reasonable school of thought that someone in his position can do more as an activist by maximizing earnings and investments and then donating than they could ever dream of doing if they retired to "full time activism." Suiting up on sunday is likely the most impactful thing he could do as an activist right now.

also, in his down time he has taken up a ton of low key projects.

its ok to say "i dislike his stances, but he seems to genuinely believe them and want to back that up." Sometimes he does that really well, and sometimes he misses the mark. i dont think hes a fraud though.

Edited by NoSaint

A few hundred police shootings a year ( the vast majority of which are justified by law) in a country of 300+ million, out of probably millions of encounters is not all that huge a problem. A lot bigger issues in the nation.

A few hundred police shootings a year ( the vast majority of which are justified by law) in a country of 300+ million, out of probably millions of encounters is not all that huge a problem. A lot bigger issues in the nation.

if you assume only the killings are a problem and not simply a symptom of wider issues that materialize in other abuses of power and really unfortunate outcomes for our citizens.

also, interestingly enough, the data is surprisingly inconsistent on all this -- which i think is frustrating. example -- california from 2003 to 2005 reported 160 TOTAL police homocides to the BJS, and 354 justified homocides to the FBI. That would imply the subset of justified killings is larger than the totality of killings occurring. Getting a handle on figuring out if the results of interaction with our justice system are where they need to be (equitable, fair, etc... across the board) is a big deal.

it also leads into natural discussions on a lot of related topics of the systems in place (education, employment, housing etc...). Bringing attention and working to provide better outcomes isnt outlandish by any means.

And of course, theres the fact that a lot of those other "more important" problems likewise have a lot of people working on them. you can work on multiple things in parallel.

THIS!

Good post. I respect the donation to Meals on Wheels, which is a great program. More importantly, he's more generous than I've ever been, and that's factoring in the income disparity.

I wish he was a better qb, but as a long-term backup he's at about par. He's not Matt Moore, but he's better than the Jets' backups.

if you assume only the killings are a problem and not simply a symptom of wider issues that materialize in other abuses of power and really unfortunate outcomes for our citizens.

also, interestingly enough, the data is surprisingly inconsistent on all this -- which i think is frustrating. example -- california from 2003 to 2005 reported 160 TOTAL police homocides to the BJS, and 354 justified homocides to the FBI. That would imply the subset of justified killings is larger than the totality of killings occurring. Getting a handle on figuring out if the results of interaction with our justice system are where they need to be (equitable, fair, etc... across the board) is a big deal.

it also leads into natural discussions on a lot of related topics of the systems in place (education, employment, housing etc...). Bringing attention and working to provide better outcomes isnt outlandish by any means.

And of course, theres the fact that a lot of those other "more important" problems likewise have a lot of people working on them. you can work on multiple things in parallel.

The data are probably inconsistent because there is no real pattern of abuse( though there are abuses or just mistakes even) . All interactions at the police level are obviously not equal. The " systems" in place are not inherently unfair. The largest predictor of educational success( thereby employment and financial/ housing "success" ) is the quality of the family and cultural based. Exactly as it was when studied back in the 60's. The shootings are a symptom of all those things but the remedy starts at home. Even Jim Brown pointed this out amid the media circus. Not surprisingly his comments were not highly publicized by CNN et al. Edited by Boatdrinks

THIS!

I haven't posted all day today here

But my favorite giving of his was his pig socks. Boy that showed everyone how unfair treatment is! I read here it was his plot to get the attention started for the movement. Then, well, he talked to vets to ask if he should sit or kneel after he figured out sitting just made him look lazy because it was lazy. That was a lot of cool. Then the idea that Castro was good. Yeah, ask the american Cuban population on that.

His donations of money pale in comparison to the average american % I saw a great article illustrating this I saved. He donates very little of his income % to the average American. Hell I donate roughly 10-12% of my post tax income to charity and still volunteer hours monthly.

To praise a man that has a narrative that has been proven false is fine. That is opinion.

To praise a man who gives to charity is usually silly. Its a write off, its a press campaign, its public relations.

When he puts actual work behind his words and not just $$$ and press photos of him doing blablablabullshit than OK. When he joins the peace corps to help 3rd world nations like Detroit and Chicago I'll listen. When he works with established youth centers to volunteer, directly fund, tutor and mentor kids I'll listen. But when he is mailing a check, getting the warm fuzzy pictures he is no different than a dead beat dad posting his kids on instagram the one weekend a year he goes off to find them

Unless, of course, you're black.