Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha ha this is so funny thanks for the laugh

Question..... and Hypothetical.

Say Bills Pick up the option

Then they draft Mahomes in the 2nd (Trubinksy and Watson where gone by their 1st).

Now Mahomes comes in and OUTPLAYS TT in the offseason.

Do you really think ANYONE on the Bills will have the STONES to play the Rookie over the guy they just committed to with 27.5M? (ALA Seattle)

No they don't, and that is why I hate picking up the option

Then they draft Mahomes in the 2nd (Trubinksy and Watson where gone by their 1st).

Do you really think ANYONE on the Bills will have the STONES to play the Rookie over the guy they just committed to with 27.5M? (ALA Seattle)

Seattle did this back in 2012.. when they benched for some rookie they drafted in the 3rd round after signing FA Matt Flynn for something like 26 million

Outplaying Tyrod means more than just throwing better. Any rookie would also have to be able to read NFL defenses. That is asking a lot. If a rookie really out played Taylor I don't think McDermott would hesitate to play him. But the odds are long that would happen.

Seattle did this back in 2012.. when they benched for some rookie they drafted in the 3rd round after signing FA Matt Flynn for something like 26 million

Yep hence my ALA Seattle.

Now tell me who has the STONES on the Bills to do that same thing after paying TT. NO ONE

Outplaying Tyrod means more than just throwing better. Any rookie would also have to be able to read NFL defenses. That is asking a lot. If a rookie really out played Taylor I don't think McDermott would hesitate to play him. But the odds are long that would happen.

TT can read a defense?

I did.

Jerry Jones was tentative at best naming Dak the full time starter at the beginning of the year while milking the Romo injury until he had a larger sample size with no choice but to keep in Dak.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush and you don't reach to fill positional needs in the draft unless you are one piece away.

IMO: trade down to stockpile picks > if a QB falls to you take him this year > if we are, in fact, just a QB away from winning trade the farm for one in 2018.

This is simple guys.

So not hard really then to Outplay TT, because if he throws better, he reads a defense better, gets the ball out on time better.

And yes I think McDermott would get overruled and TT would play. That is Buffalo. Then again they wont take a QB in this draft if they pick the option up anyway (That is Bills as well)

What if Tyrod is good in this offense? He's probably somewhat familiar with it - has a live arm, and the athleticism to run play actions well. Will have some new weapons, and hopefully can get on the same page with his receivers in camp.

Our hypothetical rookie probably doesn't take snaps under center, have a traditional playbook, and plays mostly spread formations. And you're convinced they throw better, and can command a huddle and team better. Goff went #1 overall and they had to sit him for more than half the year because he was so behind.

What if Tyrod is good in this offense? He's probably somewhat familiar with it - has a live arm, and the athleticism to run play actions well. Will have some new weapons, and hopefully can get on the same page with his receivers in camp.

Our hypothetical rookie probably doesn't take snaps under center, have a traditional playbook, and plays mostly spread formations. And you're convinced they throw better, and can command a huddle and team better. Goff went #1 overall and they had to sit him for more than half the year because he was so behind.

What if Tyrod plays good ?

Tyrod can read defenses ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

So not hard really then to Outplay TT, because if he throws better, he reads a defense better, gets the ball out on time better.

And yes I think McDermott would get overruled and TT would play. That is Buffalo. Then again they wont take a QB in this draft if they pick the option up anyway (That is Bills as well)

Sorry, Bobby. Not accepting alternate facts today. Did you hear Taylor is going to the the Pro Bowl again? Two years starting, two pro bowl appearances.

I think this post perfectly summarizes you as a poster. It's like you're an algorithm that seeks the least popular opinion and then won't stop pounding on the table for that. You are now advocating we sign a slower, shorter, less accurate drug addict rather than give our current middle of the pack quarterback a shot in an offense that actually plays to his strengths.

Well said!

Might as well give JaMarcus Russell another shot. Jeff George or Ryan Leaf maybe?

I'd be in favor of keeping Tyrod and restructuring his deal to see if he develops this year. Whaley needs to do his job better in finding better quality "healthy" talent to catch the ball.

Sorry, Bobby. Not accepting alternate facts today. Did you hear Taylor is going to the the Pro Bowl again? Two years starting, two pro bowl appearances.

Yeah because the other half of the league opted out again. Just like year one. YIPPIE. Alternate Facts

Yeah because the other half of the league opted out again. Just like year one. YIPPIE. Alternate Facts

You know you can actually look up who has been offered Pro Bowl rosters? Half the league did not turn it down.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Bottom line..if you don't keep Tyrod do you really think you have an upgrade over the next two seasons? I don't. If you draft one chances are slim he would be ready in that time frame. So, you think a Cutler or a comparable guy in the league now that's available to be an upgrade? I don't. Let's face it Tyrod is in all probability as good as you will have for the next couple years. Do I think he's a long-term franchise guy? No, but it is what it is. If they are willing to pay him....go for it.

Terrible news. Whaley strikes again putting his job security ahead of the team.

any sane person would put their job security ahead of the team. heck, all the players and coaches do it already and have for years. this ain't high school football, sport. win one for the gipper went out of style a long time ago. this here be a business 100%

any sane person would put their job security ahead of the team. heck, all the players and coaches do it already and have for years. this ain't high school football, sport. win one for the gipper went out of style a long time ago. this here be a business 100%

Whaley's job security ultimately rests on the success of the team.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That's one side of the coin. The other side is we let him walk; he takes another team to the playoffs; we go 3-13 with our new rookie QB who is looking more & more like a bust. My hypothetical is just as far fetched as yours.

I also think that coaches aren't stupid. If they have a stud ( Mahomes ), they will soon know it & play him. In that scenario we do whatever Dallas will be doing this off season with Romo. Hypothetically speaking of course.

That's one side of the coin. The other side is we let him walk; he takes another team to the playoffs; we go 3-13 with our new rookie QB who is looking more & more like a bust. My hypothetical is just as far fetched as yours.

I also think that coaches aren't stupid. If they have a stud ( Mahomes ), they will soon know it & play him. In that scenario we do whatever Dallas will be doing this off season with Romo. Hypothetically speaking of course.

IMO, Taylor tops out at 6 wins with the hard schedule that they have. It's that brutal. So odds are, if Taylor does not reach at least 9 or more wins, the Bills will probably be starting a young QB in 2018 (Cardale or a QB drafted within the next two drafts). So why would you risk having a 17 or 18 million 2018 cap hit for a QB that won't even be starting? It's just not a realistic scenario given that cap hit and the schedule this year.

I like the keep TT, draft another QB to compete, it's the right thing to do imo. The money allotted for QB will still be the same either way, so if one of Cardale or the draft pick surprises (ala Danger Russ) then they start and TT backs em up.

Disclaimer: I am not saying they are going to draft the next Russell Wilson...but they might?

OR someone surprises and TT gets traded before the season, assuming the dead money is right.

I don't see the "tea leaves" that the media does on this just because Dennison worked with him for one year. That might actually steer him away from wanting him as his starting QB because he's aware of every limitation. The fact that Denver wanted to sign him when he and and kubiak were there is potentially telling, but imo they were interested in signing him as a backup to Peyton Manning because he knew the offense. That's different than rolling him out there as your starting QB every week.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wonder how the pro bowl will cope without TTs INTs this year.

You know, I used to think Taylor was pretty good with turnovers, then you reminded of his Pro Bowl performance. Now I know I was living a lie. :cry:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What if this was Tyrod`s sophomore slump this year?

I became a Tyrod fan but everyone seen that he regressed this year.

But when i really think about it,id rather get Mike Williams or Corey Davis with that 1st pick.

If they keep Tyrod all i can say is i hope he steps it up.He can do things that no other qb in the league can do.JMO

I don't see the "tea leaves" that the media does on this just because Dennison worked with him for one year. That might actually steer him away from wanting him as his starting QB because he's aware of every limitation. The fact that Denver wanted to sign him when he and and kubiak were there is potentially telling, but imo they were interested in signing him as a backup to Peyton Manning because he knew the offense. That's different than rolling him out there as your starting QB every week.

I agree the "history" does not tell all, but I still wonder: who is a better option? They will try to win as many as possible to last longer than Rex.

Tyrod would be a completely different QB in this system. This is a system where he would actually be the focal point, like it should be. If Dennison also sticks to a zone blocking scheme for running then I expect Gillislee and Felton to really shine.

Agree 100%, Gillislee is a guy I'm nervous about this offseason, they need to lock him up IMO especially with Dennison coming in, I could see him getting poached a la Hogan after a lowball offer. He'd be a great pickup for a team like the Skins.

Agree 100%, Gillislee is a guy I'm nervous about this offseason, they need to lock him up IMO especially with Dennison coming in, I could see him getting poached a la Hogan after a lowball offer. He'd be a great pickup for a team like the Skins.

Or lions/bears/packers

Agree we need lock him up

Do you thinking signing Tyrod is the tipping point towards not rebuilding vs. not resigning him and then rebuilding?

Edited by P51

Do you thinking signing Tyrod is the tipping point towards not rebuilding vs. not resigning him and then rebuilding?

imo the rebuild is at the QB position and not the team as a whole. They may think they can win just as many games with Cardale or a high pick as they can TT, and still start building toward the future at the position instead of being in purgatory. I would compare it to what the Eagles did last year.