WRs - Overall Grade F: requires a complete rebuild for 2017

San-O

How could Whaley have gotten this unit SO badly wrong?

"Final Overall Grade F: This unit is void of talent and requires a complete rebuild for 2017"

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/index.shtml

Dump everybody except Sammy, rookie contract, and start all over.

And the problem I have is that most knew before the season started, this unit was a mess...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Final Overall Grade F: This unit is void of talent and requires a complete rebuild for 2017"

And the problem I have is that most knew before the season started, this unit was a mess...

So we're the linebackers and pass rush though... we knew we were gonna be a running team.

It's hard to disagree with this. Even before the injuries, it was Sammy and Woods really, and that's it. The rest of the WR were a bunch of nobodies that never accomplished anything at the NFL level. Throw in injuries to Sammy and Woods during the season, and you're left with an absolute worst case scenario. Justin Hunter and Percy Harvin had to be brought in just to be able to field an offensive unit. Abysmal.

So we're the linebackers and pass rush though... we knew we were gonna be a running team.

Right, but I'm looking at what I think is the weakest unit on the team I guess, and possibly the unit with the least upside and most injuries?

Whaley seems to do a great job picking up front D front 7 guys... agree?

"Void of talent"?

Shouldn't it be "devoid of talent"?

Correct, IMO. devoid of talent OR talent void

Correct, IMO. devoid of talent OR talent void

this unit may be BOTH!! :D

I suspect they will draft a WR on day 1 or 2 to replace Woods. A healthy Watkins would help a lot. And Clay was criminally underutilized. Watkins, Clay and a decent #2 would be all they need if they can run the ball like last season. And, it's probably all that they can utilize given their likely QB situation.

True very underwhelming but sign Woods (if you can) draft Corey Davis and guess what - your receiving corps is suddenly very good.

So the solution is possibly out there, probably all depends on how you prioritize your needs (assuming Davis is there at #10. I would take him ahead of Williams.

Yet guys running open all over the field every game. 1st string or 5th string it didn't matter, they were open per All 22.

Disagree. Tate is a really good KR/PR we need to keep him on if only for that reason alone. Great WR to run the reverse too. I dont mind them cleaning house but I think we should hold on to Tate and Hunter. Woods is gone, hes going somewhere that passes more and I dont blame him wish em the best of luck.

Agree with Whaley dropping the ball. He really slacked on that one and the team paid for it.

Oldy Moldy you do know all QBs miss open receivers every game right? Do you watch other games besides the Bills?

m1nxd4dxd6ay.gif

Yet guys running open all over the field every game. 1st string or 5th string it didn't matter, they were open per All 22.

Edited by Marty McFly

Eh, bunch of nonsense really. Injuries can kill any group when you're hit like the Bills were.

The Bills are one good WR away from an excellent group. Talent wise, Watkins is a clear 1 and Woods is very good 3. Justin Hunter is solid depth and redzone WR, and if Listenbee can catch at all, his speed makes him a threat in the right situations (but obviously he's an unknown at this point).

If the Bills can get a solid #2 WR, the entire group is made better and they're a little further from disaster if the injury bugs hit.

Eh, bunch of nonsense really. Injuries can kill any group when you're hit like the Bills were.

The Bills are one good WR away from an excellent group. Talent wise, Watkins is a clear 1 and Woods is very good 3. Justin Hunter is solid depth and redzone WR, and if Listenbee can catch at all, his speed makes him a threat in the right situations (but obviously he's an unknown at this point).

If the Bills can get a solid #2 WR, the entire group is made better and they're a little further from disaster if the injury bugs hit.

Reasonable take. Injuries do make a group look worse than it possibly was/is

Disagree. Tate is a really good KR/PR we need to keep him on if only for that reason alone. Great WR to run the reverse too. I dont mind them cleaning house but I think we should hold on to Tate and Hunter. Woods is gone, hes going somewhere that passes more and I dont blame him wish em the best of luck.

Agree with Whaley dropping the ball. He really slacked on that one and the team paid for it.

Oldy Moldy you do know all QBs miss open receivers every game right? Do you watch other games besides the Bills?

m1nxd4dxd6ay.gif

Oh, ok, so you are acknowledging that Bills WR, regardless of how far down on the depth chart they are, were running open every game.

So the people bitching that the WR were subpar as the reason Tyrod couldn't get the ball to them was actually on Tyrod, not the WR. Got it! :thumbsup:

Edited by old school

Who put together these grades? Sure the receiving unit is thin and underachieved, but how can anyone say it's "devoid of talent" with Watkins and Clay? A lack of talent has never been these guys' problem.

That whole write up is hyperbolic and whiny. I know everyone here hates the actual sports media but at least most of them have some level of professionalism.

Can we actually get some NFL size Wrs this time. Mof can we get some NFL sized LBs, Secondary, D lineman is it just me or do we look smaller then other teams at these positions. I know we get corners starting at Safety. Can we get some real Safeties this time. Why does Prestin Brown look like he should be working at UPS? Idk are these small pudgy looking players a criteria for drafting. Our team is the Adams family of football a Hoge pudge group of players.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Without the injuries we would have been OK for the offense we ran. I expect to lose Woods but pick up a guy high.

Without the injuries we would have been OK for the offense we ran. I expect to lose Woods but pick up a guy high.

There's always going to be injuries. Woods is a mediocre WR, good enough to fill in #2, but NOT good enough to be the prime target.

I don't think we'll see much upgrade at the position. If Woods goes we'll likely see someone right about his talent level as a replacement. If he stays, I doubt they spend much to get another, better WR in. Whether that's enough depends on the QB. Tryod isn't good enough to make his WRs better than they are. He needs the talent.

I'm not going to argue last season's grades, but the WR/TE corps is looking pretty rough right now. We've got a #1 who hasn't been able to stay healthy and just had another foot surgery. Woods is a FA whom I do not expect back. And that's pretty much it for worthwhile WRs on the team. TE similarly begins and ends with Clay. He needs some help though. It's embarrassing to regularly have to trot out an extra OL to block in 2 TE sets. There should've been some real attention to WR and TE over the last couple seasons. Some of us have been harping on it because we saw this situation on the horizon. Now here it is.

Can we actually get some NFL size Wrs this time. Mof can we get some NFL sized LBs, Secondary, D lineman is it just me or do we look smaller then other teams at these positions. I know we get corners starting at Safety. Can we get some real Safeties this time. Why does Prestin Brown look like he should be working at UPS? Idk are these small pudgy looking players a criteria for drafting. Our team is the Adams family of football a Hoge pudge group of players.

Our LB's are perfect size, but I agree with you on WR's. No more Goodwin or TJ Graham types ever, it's a nightmare and always ends up burning us. I want guys that are tough like Robert Woods, but make sure they're thick, solid dudes. Enough of the Hunters and Dez types too. Draft bodies like Josh Reed, Hines Ward, Edelman, Golden Tate, Steve Smith etc. I think we will take best safety available at 10 and best WR available at 42.

Watkins D
Woods D
Goodwin D
Tate D
Hunter C
Clay C+
O'Leary D
Final Overall Grade F

Really? Five D's, a C, and a C+, and that's an F?

I'll let the DC-Tom-bot take this one...

[This is an automated response.]

You're an idiot.

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.5.

There's always going to be injuries. Woods is a mediocre WR, good enough to fill in #2, but NOT good enough to be the prime target.

I don't think we'll see much upgrade at the position. If Woods goes we'll likely see someone right about his talent level as a replacement. If he stays, I doubt they spend much to get another, better WR in. Whether that's enough depends on the QB. Tryod isn't good enough to make his WRs better than they are. He needs the talent.

True, injuries are a fact of life. How many DLinemen do we play, or OLine or DB? We typically have 2 WR's on the field, and for much of the year 100% of those starters were out or limited. Imagine if all 100% of the OLine or DLine were hurt. Or 100% of Tyrod with EJ backing up. That's a recipe for disaster. I'd be OK with M. Williams or Corey Davis came to us at #10. That might be a poor decision based on how things play out, but we need another serious WR, some luck on the injury front, and some role players. Please get well, Sammy!

Well, Watkins can't stay healthy. Missed 3 games 2 years ago and 8 games this year. I honestly have 0 confidence he plays a full season next year. He just had surgery again.

Where are you? I accidentally had breakfast at the San Diego Bills Backers Bar last week!

Hey!

Dana Point, and mostly Channel Islands Beach. Both north of you.

Oh, ok, so you are acknowledging that Bills WR, regardless of how far down on the depth chart they are, were running open every game.

So the people bitching that the WR were subpar as the reason Tyrod couldn't get the ball to them was actually on Tyrod, not the WR. Got it! :thumbsup:

I never said that Oldy! dont generalize the McFly!

If the WRs were better they might have bailed Tyrod out a few more times like normal QBs with stocked WR rosters get amazing catches that we never get to see. The only circus catches we got this year that I can remember was that Hunter TD in the Jags game. Other than that our guys are not making crazy catches like Mike Evans, ODB Jr, Julio Jones, etc...

True, injuries are a fact of life. How many DLinemen do we play, or OLine or DB? We typically have 2 WR's on the field, and for much of the year 100% of those starters were out or limited. Imagine if all 100% of the OLine or DLine were hurt. Or 100% of Tyrod with EJ backing up. That's a recipe for disaster. I'd be OK with M. Williams or Corey Davis came to us at #10. That might be a poor decision based on how things play out, but we need another serious WR, some luck on the injury front, and some role players. Please get well, Sammy!

Agree with a WR in the 1st 2nd or 3rd rounds. We are severely lacking fire power there.

Our LB's are perfect size, but I agree with you on WR's. No more Goodwin or TJ Graham types ever, it's a nightmare and always ends up burning us. I want guys that are tough like Robert Woods, but make sure they're thick, solid dudes. Enough of the Hunters and Dez types too. Draft bodies like Josh Reed, Hines Ward, Edelman, Golden Tate, Steve Smith etc. I think we will take best safety available at 10 and best WR available at 42.

I would be totally cool with this as long as they have a plan at QB, or they plan to draft one in 2018

If Watkins was not injured and playing at full potential, he probably masks a lot of the deficiency (like on most other teams). They then simply need a better slot receiver for tthe quick slants. The bills should stop wasting their time on trying to develop speedsters like Goodwin...The % play is against them,

I suspect they will draft a WR on day 1 or 2 to replace Woods. A healthy Watkins would help a lot. And Clay was criminally underutilized. Watkins, Clay and a decent #2 would be all they need if they can run the ball like last season. And, it's probably all that they can utilize given their likely QB situation.

I'd also like to see another pass-catching TE brought in. Butt would be a nice addition in the draft. Use a TE set. Running/short passing with ability to stretch with Sammy.

Although, it's hard to judge the WR's in this offense. Look at the Steelers, they have AB and a bunch of "good" other WR's. Look at the Pats****, same thing. A great QB can find good WR play. We have a QB that needs short-field WR's and TE's it seems. Once TT found Clay it clicked.

Edited by RyanC883

I never said that Oldy! dont generalize the McFly!

If the WRs were better they might have bailed Tyrod out a few more times like normal QBs with stocked WR rosters get amazing catches that we never get to see. The only circus catches we got this year that I can remember was that Hunter TD in the Jags game. Other than that our guys are not making crazy catches like Mike Evans, ODB Jr, Julio Jones, etc...

Agree with a WR in the 1st 2nd or 3rd rounds. We are severely lacking fire power there.

I would be totally cool with this as long as they have a plan at QB, or they plan to draft one in 2018

Works both ways skippy, if the QB would throw the ball, if and or he would throw the ball accurately it might allow for said WR to make "crazy catches".

Those other WR make "crazy catches" because their QB isn't affraid to pull the trigger. Surely even you could figure that out if you watched the games.

Edited by old school

Too late, we already drafted Listenbee

U think our LB'S and safeties have good size no way. P Brown is short and slow he sucks straight up. He doesn't fit the prototype for Lbs that's for sure. Our Safeties are converted corners so that says it all.

Whaley just drafts players I think he has no vision of the little things like having players that fit the mold of there position groups.

Works both ways skippy, if the QB would throw the ball, if and or he would throw the ball accurately it might allow for said WR to make "crazy catches".

Those other WR make "crazy catches" because their QB isn't affraid to pull the trigger. Surely even you could figure that out if you watched the games.

Cmon old man dont need to be a doosh to get ur point across. I said as much in my post. Even if Tyrod did pull the trigger you know damn well Goodwin isnt going up there to make a Mike Evans catch or fight for the ball. Besides Sammy only Hunter can make those catches on our roster as of now.

How do you grade our receiving corps with an F? I don't know what to make of threads like this, but they drive me a bit crazy. I get the feeling that some posters are more interested in sticking to an opinion rather than letting data determine their perspective.

I like Tyrod. I think we need to keep him unless we find a demonstrably better QB, but he is no pocket passer. How can you analyze the efficacy of our receiving corps when you have a QB who doesn't really seem to scan the field and go through progressions?

Take a look at Dez Bryant's stats. When Romo was the full time starter, his numbers were stellar. Over the past two years, his numbers have gone way down. Did he suddenly become a bad receiver? Or did the changes at QB affect his numbers?

From 2011 to 2014 Dez averaged 84 catches for 1213 yards. Per game thats 5.33 catches and 77 yards per game Over the past 2 years with Romo mostly out, Dez averaged 3.7 catches and 54 yards per game.

I'm not saying we have a stellar receiving corps. But I am asking: How can you all be so sure they are terrible?

Robert Woods got 10 catches for 162 yards against Seattle's Legion of Boom...with Watkins out of the game. I just want people to keep things in perspective. Just because something is Bills related, doesn't make it terrible. We have talent on this team. I guarantee that our receivers would get better if our QB started throwing the damn ball. Tyrod needs to start letting his guys go after it.

Edited by somnus00