Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

Third sentence of the article is either factually wrong or brand new reporting.

Given how out to lunch Leo has been for the latter part of a decade, I'm comfortable assuming which it is.

Bill Polian is probably still pissed that his request to make Chris Polian the GM last year was turned down. He is making Whaley's life miserable with factually incorrect reporting. Bill is doing a horrible job. May be Bill had a deal with Rex last year and it failed.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again ... why is it difficult to understand that Pegula didn't have a specific conversation about firing Rex to Whaley before he did so, and Whaley didn't have to ask why he was fired after he was told? He's the GM and a peer of Rex in this organization. He's been sitting next to Pegula watching Rex coach for 2 years. What do you think they discuss during the game? The food? Everyone knows why he was fired. Pegula calls Whaley and said "you won't be working with Rex anymore." I'm sure Whaley was just ultra- shocked.

He was pretending he was in the press conference. He said he wasn't privy and didn't know it was coming. The opposite of what you are presuming.

Hmmmmm.

Polian: Coaching candidates have reason to be wary of Bills

“The fact of the matter is that if you’re a candidate for the Bills job, you begin to say to yourself, ‘What kind of an organization am I stepping into?’ ‘’ Polian, an ESPN analyst, said on air Tuesday.

“For one thing, Terry Pegula is a straightforward and honest guy; I know him pretty well. The sentence that said ‘based on discussions that were going on all year,’ is the operative one, within the organization,’’ Polian said. “I’m assuming Doug Whaley was involved in them, and were having those kinds of discussions, leading to the decision Terry gave to Rex. The bottom line is, it’s a little disingenuous to say, ‘I wasn’t involved in the decision.’ Terry said there was discussion and you have to assume the general manager is involved in those discussions.’’

“Doug Whaley said, 'The ownership has confidence in me,' ’’ Polian said. “If that’s the case, he’ll make the decision and he’ll own the decision. He’ll own the coach, he’ll own whoever the quarterback is going forward. I would argue that the waters have probably been sullied enough with Tyrod Taylor that he might not come back, but whoever the quarterback, he’s going to own him.

If you read the transcript of the presser, I think it's pretty clear that Whaley is talking about the conversation between Rex and Pegula resulting in Rex's firing but whatever.

If you're Polian and you really love the organization and want its best, why not call up Pegula and say "what's going on, Terry?" instead of "I'm assuming....." "you have to assume...."

"Tyrod Taylor might not come back" um, Tyrod Taylor is under contract. It's not his call if he comes back or not, Mr Polian.

So...a press conference where, nationwide, Whaley is thought to have had a disastrous showing and made a fool of himself and the organization----this was really just a clever ay to "stick it to the BN"? He DID talk about it---and his answers were bonkers.

Yup, given the overwhelming coverage of that epic press conference--he sure showed them!!

The convoluted logic you guys are pretzeling yourselves with is getting more impressive by the minute.

He did not talk about the decision to fire Rex at all. He identified the point in which Pegula decided to fire Rex (When Rex asked to talk privately) and that was it.

Every other question was phrased about the decision to fire Rex and he referred it back to that first sentence.

When they finally got around to asking his personal opinion of the decision, he said screw you. I mean yeah it was a jerk move when you have Jerry Sullivan (I think) mockingly asking you what you !@#$ing do around here then, right to your face. They deserved the answers they got.

He was pretending he was in the press conference. He said he wasn't privy and didn't know it was coming. The opposite of what you are presuming.

He wasn't pretending he was shocked at all. And you say we have pretzel logic lmao.

Edited by What a Tuel

Probably a mix of the two. Despite EJ being awful at QB, I think he is widely respected and liked in the organization, and the Bills saw an opportunity to let him showcase some tape for free agency.

Who on the Bills thought this would be a highlight reel the of performance given the situation.

Seems more like cruelty to EJ, predictable disaster to end his career on the Bills with and to "showcase" to the rest of the league.

They should have just gone with the 3rd string QB all the way.

I wonder if Doug Whaley has seen the Green Mile.

Doug made a mistake . . . a big mistake (if you are like me and think that he undermined Rex). Whaley would be a lot better off if he did everything he could to make sure that Rex was not fired.

So let me get this straight....you believe Doug undermined Rex because "follow the money", you thought it would benefit Doug to "throw Rex under the bus" and save his hide.

Now you perceive that firing Rex or undermining him is actually not to Doug's benefit, but instead of going back and re-examining the basis for your belief and saying "gee, so since I believed Doug did it to save his hide, but it's actually causing Doug problems, maybe I should re-think this" now you're all "Doug is really dumb and did a dumb thing".

SMH

Who on the Bills thought this would be a highlight reel the of performance given the situation.

Seems more like cruelty to EJ, predictable disaster to end his career on the Bills with and to "showcase" to the rest of the league.

I think EJ would tell you he absolutely welcomed the opportunity. In hindsight it was probably a mistake, but only because he was awful.

He did not talk about the decision to fire Rex at all. He identified the point in which Pegula decided to fire Rex (When Rex asked to talk privately) and that was it.

Every other question was phrased about the decision to fire Rex and he referred it back to that first sentence.

When they finally got around to asking his personal opinion of the decision, he said screw you. I mean yeah it was a jerk move when you have Jerry Sullivan (I think) mockingly asking you what you !@#$ing do around here then, right to your face. They deserved the answers they got.

He wasn't pretending he was shocked at all. And you say we have pretzel logic lmao.

Except he did. He refused to answer their questions about the firing of Rex--instead he repeated answered only about "not being privy" to the actual phone call where rex ws fired. They weren't asking that.

When they asked hi directly whether he thought Rex was in trouble, he said "no". When asked if he thought Rex "might" get fired, again he said "no".

Both answers are completely unbelievable, so the press was right to "press" him for more. Most people know when they are being lied to (badly).

Blown out of proportion? He claims he didn't know Rex was in trouble, and that he didn't know Rex was going to to be fired.

If you believe, you have to conclude he's beyond clueless. Who did not think Rex was doomed??

If you don't believe him, you have to conclude he's lying (he obviously is).

How do you blow either of these conclusions "out of proportion? That's nuts.

And why was Whaley afraid to say what you proposed? Easy-because he was the one who convinced the naive owners to pull the trigger on Rex> You think he's now going to say "we" were wrong? He's shameless.

I said Whaley was foolish for saying that because it was such an obvious lie that it reached the point of absurdity. That said - who cares? It wouldn't be the first time an NFL figurehead would fib to the media. NFL coaches do it every day. The media blew it out of proportion by using that fib as evidence that the team is dysfunctional.

Why would Whaley say "We were wrong"? Not sure where you're going with that one.

I think EJ would tell you he absolutely welcomed the opportunity. In hindsight it was probably a mistake, but only because he was awful.

Of course the kid wanted to play. But it's own Whaley for putting him in the ridiculous position--guaranteed to fail.

I said Whaley was foolish for saying that because it was such an obvious lie that it reached the point of absurdity. That said - who cares? It wouldn't be the first time an NFL figurehead would fib to the media. NFL coaches do it every day. The media blew it out of proportion by using that fib as evidence that the team is dysfunctional.

Why would Whaley say "We were wrong"? Not sure where you're going with that one.

Whaley's MO--he doesn't want to be included in the "we" when bad decisions are made. Only the good ones.

If you read the transcript of the presser, I think it's pretty clear that Whaley is talking about the conversation between Rex and Pegula resulting in Rex's firing but whatever.

If you're Polian and you really love the organization and want its best, why not call up Pegula and say "what's going on, Terry?" instead of "I'm assuming....." "you have to assume...."

"Tyrod Taylor might not come back" um, Tyrod Taylor is under contract. It's not his call if he comes back or not, Mr Polian.

If Tyrod says "I don't want to be a Buffalo Bill"..........and his agent will have been discussing potential contracts with other teams for a good MONTH or more prior to the date the Bills must choose...........then yes HE HAS A CHOICE.

Simple as that.

And all the "he's under contract" tough talk won't mean a thing.

Bring Back Fergy will be right here to say defiantly: "If Tyrod Taylor doesn't want to be here then get outta' town!" like Polian telling "The Tiny Tot of the Kilowatt" to get bent all over again. :lol:

If the Bills decide they want to go forward with Taylor and sense there is a decent market for him they should work fairly quickly after the coach selection to either pick up his option or get the deal re-worked before the tampering starts in earnest right after the SB.

Except he did. He refused to answer their questions about the firing of Rex--instead he repeated answered only about "not being privy" to the actual phone call where rex ws fired. They weren't asking that.

When they asked hi directly whether he thought Rex was in trouble, he said "no". When asked if he thought Rex "might" get fired, again he said "no".

Both answers are completely unbelievable, so the press was right to "press" him for more. Most people know when they are being lied to (badly).

Why? So they can enjoy a hissy fit?

If TBN sages claim to represent the fans, then the line of questioning was nowhere near what the fans wanted to hear. Believe it or not, fans aren't as interested in the OBD palace intrigue as they are in things going forward, like the coaching search, pending free agency and the draft

How much time was spent asking those questions vs haranguing Whaley about his role in Rex's firing?

It also could be that they felt that they needed to put Lynn in a position to win the game against the Jets and that EJ gave them a better chance to do it compare to Cardale who is still not ready ? Could have been that simple

Look....in the end: this is Whaley's baby. If he has one year so be it. He will sink or swim with this. If he's smart (for himself) he goes win now and keeps Tyrod.

IF IF IF IF IF we go to the playoffs he's just going to drop his balls on the desk at the next year wrap up. His back was against the wall this time....all lose. No matter what he said he was screwed. I don't think he wants anything more in his life right now. He will work; and hopefully he can serve some crow.

You are mixing the two. They were asking about the final decision. We know the way the decision was made. Pegula did not get the chance to talk to Whaley about it during their normal evaluation process. Rex went to Pegula and it unfolded from there. Why are we digging into Whaley having input on this decision? Is it because you think he should? Is that the way the power structure was said to be set up back in 2015?

Q: You said you are the voice of ownership, but you said you were not privy to information about them firing Rex Ryan, I guess I feel it should be information they should share with you for you to come out here?

A: They put out a statement.

Q: What did the statement say that shed any light on the situation?

A: You have it.

Q: Repeatedly saying the owners put out a statement does not answer why you were not privy to ownerships decision. We hear you were shut out of the process, so square that because saying they put out a statement doesn’t answer that?

A: Well that is the way you think. I look at it this way. My boss gave me a directive. He said that we will not be having Rex Ryan as our head coach anymore.

Q: With no explanation to you?

A: I didn’t need any. I am trying to tell you the way I approach my job and it may be wrong to you guys, and you can write how you want. My thinking is when I get a directive from my boss it doesn’t matter how he came up with that directive, I am here to execute the directive.

Edited by What a Tuel

Why did the media need to know whether Whaley had an idea that Rex's job was in trouble? Why did they need to know his opinion of it? He already told them to refer to the press release on the Rex firing because it was Pegulas statement. Whaley isn't "required" to give that kind of info about how he feels and what he knew. Whaley knows that and trolled them with his response. Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer. FO executives never give info they don't want to give. They lie to the media and/or withhold info every day, as do the agents. Media wants all-access but it's unrealistic.

They wanted to write their articles and they were going to trash it one way or another regardless of what he said. Whaley gave no info so they trashed that instead.

Edited by YoloinOhio

But firing Rex was a good decision. If what you're saying about Whaley is true then why would he not want to be included in the "we" for a good decision?

Asked and answered. Because he would be admitting to a bonehead decision of hiring rex just 2 years ago.

Of course the kid wanted to play. But it's own Whaley for putting him in the ridiculous position--guaranteed to fail.

Whaley's MO--he doesn't want to be included in the "we" when bad decisions are made. Only the good ones.

Except the first thing he said was 7-9 wasn't good enough. I'll say this much, it starts with me. I have to do a better job. Anything that encompasses the football operations falls on my shoulders and I take full responsibility. He said that's on me a few times. He covered for Overdorf saying the salary cap language was only on him when it wasn't. Other than that though...

Look....in the end: this is Whaley's baby. If he has one year so be it. He will sink or swim with this. If he's smart (for himself) he goes win now and keeps Tyrod.

IF IF IF IF IF we go to the playoffs he's just going to drop his balls on the desk at the next year wrap up. His back was against the wall this time....all lose. No matter what he said he was screwed. I don't think he wants anything more in his life right now. He will work; and hopefully he can serve some crow.

brass-balls.jpg

Why did the media need to know whether Whaley had an idea that Rex's job was in trouble? Why did they need to know his opinion of it? He already told them to refer to the press release on the Rex firing because it was Pegulas statement. Whaley isn't "required" to give that kind of info about how he feels and what he knew. Whaley knows that and trolled them with his response. Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer. FO executives never give info they don't want to give. They lie to the media and/or withhold info every day, as do the agents. Media wants all-access but it's unrealistic.

Exactly. He didn't give the media much, and now they are ripping on his limited answers trying to make him pay for it.

You are mixing the two. They were asking about the final decision. We know the way the decision was made. Pegula did not get the chance to talk to Whaley about it during their normal evaluation process. Rex went to Pegula and it unfolded from there. Why are we digging into Whaley having input on this decision? Is it because you think he should? Is that the way the power structure was said to be set up back in 2015?

Q: You said you are the voice of ownership, but you said you were not privy to information about them firing Rex Ryan, I guess I feel it should be information they should share with you for you to come out here?

Q: Repeatedly saying the owners put out a statement does not answer why you were not privy to ownerships decision. We hear you were shut out of the process, so square that because saying they put out a statement doesn’t answer that?

A: Well that is the way you think. I look at it this way. My boss gave me a directive. He said that we will not be having Rex Ryan as our head coach anymore.

A: I didn’t need any. I am trying to tell you the way I approach my job and it may be wrong to you guys, and you can write how you want. My thinking is when I get a directive from my boss it doesn’t matter how he came up with that directive, I am here to execute the directive.

Whaley said he didn't even know that Pegula might fire Rex...or that Rex was at any risk at all!

Really??

Anyway, yes, I believe any GM should know when his HC is about to be fired. Whaley absolutely knew but lied about it. What part of this is confusing?

Although Doug probably knew Rex was done at the end of the season, he didn't think he would be fired that Tuesday after Christmas. Doug didn't want his participation in conversations leading up to that firing out, and he did a bad job of trying to cover his butt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again ... why is it difficult to understand that Pegula didn't have a specific conversation about firing Rex to Whaley before he did so, and Whaley didn't have to ask why he was fired after he was told? He's the GM and a peer of Rex in this organization. He's been sitting next to Pegula watching Rex coach for 2 years. What do you think they discuss during the game? The food? Everyone knows why he was fired. Pegula calls Whaley and said "you won't be working with Rex anymore." I'm sure Whaley was just ultra- shocked.

I think the part that has everyone buzzing is this:

Q: Did you ever get the sense that Rex was in trouble with the Pegulas? Were you ever moved to maybe come to his defense?

A: I’ll have to say this again, we hold those conversations at the end of the year, usually for the evaluations. So I had no need to go and talk to them about Rex. We were focused on the season. We always focus on the game ahead.

Q: You had no word that he was in trouble though?

A: No.

Q: You didn’t know that he might get fired?

A: No.

I think the conversations Whaley and Pegula have had during the game are focused on the game - the plays, the players, the play calls, the officiating. I'm sure Pegula has expressed disatisfaction at times, and pleasure at other times, depending upon what's going on down on the field. I would have to know Mr Pegula to have an opinion on how easy it would be to draw conclusions about his overall thinking from various game and personnel reactions. He may have been the same way last year and didn't fire Rex, so Whaley would be like "OK, similar comments to last year, similar conclusion this year"

Except the first thing he said was 7-9 wasn't good enough. I'll say this much, it starts with me. I have to do a better job. Anything that encompasses the football operations falls on my shoulders and I take full responsibility. He said that's on me a few times. He covered for Overdorf saying the salary cap language was only on him when it wasn't. Other than that though...

Of course he says this. But if it was really "on him" , he would be gone. He convinced the Pegulas that, in fact, this year wasn't on him, it was on Rex.

They clearly trust Whaley, as they did two years ago this month.

Whaley said he didn't even know that Pegula might fire Rex...or that Rex was at any risk at all!

Really??

Anyway, yes, I believe any GM should know when his HC is about to be fired. Whaley absolutely knew but lied about it. What part of this is confusing?

You are again missing the point that when they asked about Whaley's feelings about Rex's job security he gave them nothing on purpose.

Terry Pegula going to the AP with an exclusive interview should tell you a lot. You will just call it damage control but in reality it was another FU to local media.

This board is reading too much into this nonsense, the majority of which is reported by local guys driving local clicks and being circulated by lazy national guys b/c it's Rex and thus the sexiest of all firings.

There is absolutely nothing scandalous or hard to believe about the story we have been provided. They didn't specifically talk about firing or retaining Rex and were planning to do so after the season. Rex had enough of the fire and demanded some frank speaking from Pegs...Pegs knew he wasn't keeping him and had to level with him and fired him on the spot (I'm sure Rex said something along the lines of "if you know you are going to fire me now, please let me know").

It's VERY easy to believe that story given what I know about all three men...Whaley was sticking to the schedule and process and had not specifically advised on Rex's future (although certainly advised as to why he thought the Bills sucked), Rex pulled a move and said as a man he needed to know if Pegs knew...Pegs as a man listened to Rex and realized he knew and told him it was over.

WHY IS THIS DISFUNCTIONAL? We were terrible this year and it was b/c of the defense. All of this makes absolute perfect sense.

Of course he says this. But if it was really "on him" , he would be gone. He convinced the Pegulas that, in fact, this year wasn't on him, it was on Rex.

So you take him at his literal word to the extreme in his press conference in situations that fit your narrative. But take his literal words in other parts of the press conference that don't fit your narrative and say "Of course he says this..." He doesn't mean it.

Got it. Carry on.

Just like with TBN, what are you getting at with the line of questioning? That Whaley wasn't forthright in his answers about Rex? So what? What's the end game, that Whaley should also walk the plank because he wants to distance himself from Rex?

Were the Giants a dysfunctional mess when they gave a total lie about Coughlin's retirement?

...I would argue that the waters have probably been sullied enough with Tyrod Taylor that he might not come back, but whoever the quarterback, he’s going to own him.

“I hope it’s not EJ Manuel because I want the Bills to do well...

So the QB that's under contract might not come back and the one that isn't might be our starter? Bizarro-world?

Don't people think that if the Bills pick up Tyrod's $27.5MM option that he and the Bills will kiss and make up? Guessing they would...

You are again missing the point that when they asked about Whaley's feelings about Rex's job security he gave them nothing on purpose.

Terry Pegula going to the AP with an exclusive interview should tell you a lot. You will just call it damage control but in reality it was another FU to local media.

No, he didn't give them "nothing"...he lied to them. They gave him and out: "did you think Rex was in trouble?" He could have said the obvious (everyone on the planet knew he was in trouble. Instead he said "no".

So he "gave them" the opposite of nothing--he gave them a lie. What do you expect them them to do next?

He went to jw because he knew he wouldn't be asked difficult or unexpected questions

Hmmmmm.

Polian: Coaching candidates have reason to be wary of Bills

“The fact of the matter is that if you’re a candidate for the Bills job, you begin to say to yourself, ‘What kind of an organization am I stepping into?’ ‘’ Polian, an ESPN analyst, said on air Tuesday.

“For one thing, Terry Pegula is a straightforward and honest guy; I know him pretty well. The sentence that said ‘based on discussions that were going on all year,’ is the operative one, within the organization,’’ Polian said. “I’m assuming Doug Whaley was involved in them, and were having those kinds of discussions, leading to the decision Terry gave to Rex. The bottom line is, it’s a little disingenuous to say, ‘I wasn’t involved in the decision.’ Terry said there was discussion and you have to assume the general manager is involved in those discussions.’’

“Doug Whaley said, 'The ownership has confidence in me,' ’’ Polian said. “If that’s the case, he’ll make the decision and he’ll own the decision. He’ll own the coach, he’ll own whoever the quarterback is going forward. I would argue that the waters have probably been sullied enough with Tyrod Taylor that he might not come back, but whoever the quarterback, he’s going to own him.

Sounds like he is clearly blaming Whaley and rightfully so. He's saying Whaley lied about not being involved in the decision and that he's still trying to prove he was right on EJ. I agree on both points 100%

So you take him at his literal word to the extreme in his press conference in situations that fit your narrative. But take his literal words in other parts of the press conference that don't fit your narrative and say "Of course he says this..." He doesn't mean it.

Got it. Carry on.

I'm reading to you what he said in response to simple and predictable questions that any competent GM could have predicted and handled without botching things so badly.

Just like with TBN, what are you getting at with the line of questioning? That Whaley wasn't forthright in his answers about Rex? So what? What's the end game, that Whaley should also walk the plank because he wants to distance himself from Rex?

Were the Giants a dysfunctional mess when they gave a total lie about Coughlin's retirement?

Their 2 fairly recent SB rings argue against the same type of dysfunction the Bills are muddling through...again.

Whaley should walk the plank. His failure to find a QB and HC are enough to let him go.

No, he didn't give them "nothing"...he lied to them. They gave him and out: "did you think Rex was in trouble?" He could have said the obvious (everyone on the planet knew he was in trouble. Instead he said "no".

So he "gave them" the opposite of nothing--he gave them a lie. What do you expect them them to do next?

He went to jw because he knew he wouldn't be asked difficult or unexpected questions

JW asked him similar questions to what these guys asked them....so yeah. He explained what happened exactly as Whaley had.

Your only sticking point is that Whaley lied about what he thought was going to happen with Rex and how he felt after it happened. So freaking what?

And I don't even think he was lying about considering Rex's future until after the season. I mostly believe him when he says he was focusing on the season. They seem to have a pretty straight forward routine for evaluating performance.

I'm reading to you what he said in response to simple and predictable questions that any competent GM could have predicted and handled without botching things so badly.

Their 2 fairly recent SB rings argue against the same type of dysfunction the Bills are muddling through...again.

Whaley should walk the plank. His failure to find a QB and HC are enough to let him go.

Half the time you say "This is what he said!" And quote or link exactly what he said as proof. Then I show you were wrong with "this is what he said" in the same press conference and your response is, "of course he said that..." he doesn't mean it.