Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

It clearly was BS. And just stupid for Whaley to say. That was by far the worst part of the press conference.

It was definitely BS irrespective of being privy to the conversation or not. He should have just said that he and Pegulas had been having ongoing conversations all season long that ultimately led to the dismissal of Rex. Could have easily followed up that he's going to keep the nature of those conversations in-house.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were Doug Whaley, I would hope that this is not true . . . .

Doug is a dead man walking. He is being entrusted to sort this mess out, and he is not up to that job.

He'll be gone soon enough. Only question is when. I say after next year.

It was definitely BS irrespective of being privy to the conversation or not. He should have just said that he and Pegulas had been having ongoing conversations all season long that ultimately led to the dismissal of Rex. Could have easily followed up that he's going to keep the nature of those conversations in-house.

Yep. That was awful of Whaley.

what I heard...

whaley has one year to improve team or Polian is coming to clean house in 2018

That is consistent with what Joe C had heard.

Given that Polian has gone public with these quotes and that he is close with ownership, I wonder if that timeline may have moved up a year.

I wonder if the Pegulas are having buyer's remorse with Whaley after yesterday. Nobody wants to look like a fool.

On top of all of the other problems that a potential HC would be concerned about, if you are now hearing that the guy who wants to hire you may be out of a job in a year, . . . . alarm bells and whistles.

Edited by Peter

Doug is a dead man walking. He is being entrusted to sort this mess out, and he is not up to that job.

He'll be gone soon enough. Only question is when. I say after next year.

I'd bet he lasts as long as his coach, and that's at least 2 years. I mean, it I were a betting man.....

It clearly was BS. And just stupid for Whaley to say. That was by far the worst part of the press conference.

Yes it was blown out of proportion by the media but Whaley was foolish for saying that. What's wrong with saying "We all decided to fire Rex because the defense wasn't good enough and we just didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel." ? Why was Whaley afraid to say that? So frustrating.

I wonder if Doug Whaley has seen the Green Mile.

Doug made a mistake . . . a big mistake (if you are like me and think that he undermined Rex). Whaley would be a lot better off if he did everything he could to make sure that Rex was not fired.

You know who undermined Rex? Rex. With his crap defense that doesn't work.

I don't believe the conspiracy theories about why EJ started. I truly believe they didn't want Tyrod to get hurt and be owed all that money. They wanted to take their time and make the right decision with him. EJ was just the next man up. Nothing more nothing less.

The way they handled it was incorrect. Letting the media and fans speculate is never a good idea. Doug Whaley thinks he's so important and so busy that he doesn't have time to talk to the media but SOMEBODY has to explain what's going on with these decisions. The Bills organization needs to go into damage control mode because they are looking pretty foolish right now. Why not just get a press secretary like the president has? He can hold the press conferences and explain what's happening so the idiot media can't write whatever they want and try and make a story when there isn't one

You know who undermined Rex? Rex. With his crap defense that doesn't work.

I had no idea you felt that way.

The point is that Brutus outsmarted himself and may end up on his arse sooner than anyone could have imagined. If Rex had not been fired (whether you agree with it or not), Whaley would not be going through all of this turmoil.

Whaley never realized that he would have been better off for the sake of his own career if Rex were still around.

Irony.

I'd bet he lasts as long as his coach, and that's at least 2 years. I mean, it I were a betting man.....

This is what I believe too. Whaley and whomever the Bills hire as head coach have two years to make the playoffs or else they will both be gone early January 2019.

Yes it was blown out of proportion by the media but Whaley was foolish for saying that. What's wrong with saying "We all decided to fire Rex because the defense wasn't good enough and we just didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel." ? Why was Whaley afraid to say that? So frustrating.

Blown out of proportion? He claims he didn't know Rex was in trouble, and that he didn't know Rex was going to to be fired.

If you believe, you have to conclude he's beyond clueless. Who did not think Rex was doomed??

If you don't believe him, you have to conclude he's lying (he obviously is).

How do you blow either of these conclusions "out of proportion? That's nuts.

And why was Whaley afraid to say what you proposed? Easy-because he was the one who convinced the naive owners to pull the trigger on Rex> You think he's now going to say "we" were wrong? He's shameless.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Except he did. How did you miss that? He said he didn't know Rex was in trouble. Says he wasn't involved. Polian laid waste to that.

If you think that Whaley wasn't sticking it to the BN for acting like children throwing a temper tantrum then I don't know what to tell you. Obviously Whaley thought about it, obviously he had a sense Rex was in trouble. He wasn't going to talk about it to those DB's no matter your thoughts about how it is his responsibility to.

Wait, wasn't Polian all about it's a tire fire and a total mess and there's no QB and the OL is old and decrepit when Marrone quit in 2014?

I thought his comments then showed a considerable level of being out of touch.

Or as Incognito said "put a little sh*t in our grits"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

“The issue with the quarterback puzzles me,’’ Polian said. “I can understand Tyrod Taylor perhaps had some injury risk playing in that game, but why EJ Manuel? He proved once again that three staffs don’t think he can play; they yanked him from the game and it’s obvious the head coach wasn’t involved in that decision. Now that is troubling, because it’s not the owner making that decision, it’s the general manager and somebody else in the organization, I don’t know who, making that decision.’’

Why is this troubling? You clearly lay out why the decision was made. If you are troubled by EJ Manuel starting over Cardale Jones, well that should be pretty obvious. Bills are going to let EJ go in the offseason, and they wanted to let him have a chance to prove he can be at least a back-up to the Bills or other teams. Failing miserably doesn't change the reason they let EJ start. Starting Cardale Jones the whole game doesn't change much at all in terms of their decision on him. They have the offseason and preseason to look at Cardale. This isn't complicated people. Think it through.

I think its even simpler then that. The started Ej because he was the only one else they had to start because they didnt want to push Jones into a meaningless game he wasn't ready for. They have said previously they didn't feel he was ready to start this season, and they are still paying EJ to hold a clipboard so throw him out for the meaningless game. Taylor was benched because he has been playing banged up/hurt and since they were officially eliminated the week before, they decided there was no point risking him getting banged up/injured further and wind up taking the choice of giving him the contract option themselves

Edited by apuszczalowski

I had no idea you felt that way.

The point is that Brutus outsmarted himself and may end up on his arse sooner than anyone could have imagined. If Rex had not been fired (whether you agree with it or not), Whaley would not be going through all of this turmoil.

Whaley never realized that he would have been better off for the sake of his own career if Rex were still around.

Irony.

Turmoil? He couldn't care any less about the noise that's external to OBD.

Again ... why is it difficult to understand that Pegula didn't have a specific conversation about firing Rex to Whaley before he did so, and Whaley didn't have to ask why he was fired after he was told? He's the GM and a peer of Rex in this organization. He's been sitting next to Pegula watching Rex coach for 2 years. What do you think they discuss during the game? The food? Everyone knows why he was fired. Pegula calls Whaley and said "you won't be working with Rex anymore." I'm sure Whaley was just ultra- shocked.

If you think that Whaley wasn't sticking it to the BN for acting like children throwing a temper tantrum then I don't know what to tell you. Obviously Whaley thought about it, obviously he had a sense Rex was in trouble. He wasn't going to talk about it to those DB's no matter your thoughts about how it is his responsibility to.

So...a press conference where, nationwide, Whaley is thought to have had a disastrous showing and made a fool of himself and the organization----this was really just a clever ay to "stick it to the BN"? He DID talk about it---and his answers were bonkers.

Yup, given the overwhelming coverage of that epic press conference--he sure showed them!!

The convoluted logic you guys are pretzeling yourselves with is getting more impressive by the minute.

I think its even simpler then that. The started Ej because he was the only one else they had to start because they didnt want to push Jones into a meaningless game he wasn't ready for. They have said previously they didn't feel he was ready to start this season, and they are still paying EJ to hold a clipboard so throw him out for the meaningless game. Taylor was benched because he has been playing banged up/hurt and since they were officially eliminated the week before, they decided there was no point risking him getting banged up/injured further and wind up taking the choice of giving him the contract option themselves

Probably a mix of the two. Despite EJ being awful at QB, I think he is widely respected and liked in the organization, and the Bills saw an opportunity to let him showcase some tape for free agency.