Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

So is the company line that we all attack Polian, the last competent GM we had, now?

If we are really mean does he have to give back his HOF jacket?

Linus Pauling was a great and eminent scientist who made huge contributions to his field.

Then he decided he was a medical expert and pronounced that Vitamin C can cure everything, starting with the common cold, to the detriment of actual health, physiology, and medical experts who got to spend years debunking this.

Nothing can take away Polian's contributions to the game of football and to the Buffalo Bills. But if he doesn't do some homework before opining, and he says silly stuff like "Tyrod may not want to come back" when he's under contract and it's not his choice, doesn't that deserve to be pointed out?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is easy. If Whaley said "give Rex more time, like you publicly said you would in October", Pegula would have said "yes Doug".

But Whaley didn't say this. By all accounts, they trust him.

But...Whaley and Pegula talk constantly, so your question (the bolded part is off point.

You didn't answer the question at all. Thanks for playing.

Tyrod might not want to come back.

Just because he's under contract that doesn't mean he isn't pissed.

Maybe someone from the Bills can explain how NFL contracts work so poor old Polian can understand.

I almost admire some people's dedication to standing up for this team.

Edited by TheFunPolice

You must be kidding. A GM has to be polished if he is going to get up in front of media and speak for the organization. Otherwise, you are not much more than a glorified scout. I'm not very confident that he is going to find that coach that will lead the Bills for the next decade.

Neither your nor my confidence matters with respect to Whaley. We're about to find out one way or the other that's for sure. The owners are trusting him with doing just that so it's' on him now.

Just look at the results.

How many successful teams look like this?

So Polian is now an idiot. OK.

In other words, the Bills are right and everyone else is wrong.

Meanwhile they have the longest current playoff drought on North American sports.

I'm not saying Polian's an idiot. I'm saying I disagree with his points. I think the Bills reasons for doing what they did are very clear and not dysfunctional. I think sitting Tyrod was very reasonable. Most fans would think after the defensive performance, firing Rex was very reasonable. Starting EJ was reasonable since he was on his way out. The dysfunction comes when talking to the idiot media, and that has little to do with the football aspect of the organization.

But who is really being the sycophant if I can't disagree with Polian because he was great?

Edited by What a Tuel

Yes, and this time, it's clear he is lying because he did it so badly. You know this and just won't admit this

Except you have read me saying Whaley was lying through his teeth a dozen times. I said it less than two minutes after the press conference ended. I said it 20+ times here. I said it in a direct response to you tonight! Of course he lied (about certain things, like never thinking about Rex being fired). Horribly. You have no idea what you are talking about or say. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Fvck Polian. May have a HOF Jacket but so does Kelly.

He can no longer GM [the Bills] a much as Kelly can no longer play QB for the Bills - he's paid now to do nothing run his mout for $ and generate controversy.

The right coach and Whaley can take this trash - with the Pegulas, TT and Shady and Sammy and Kyle Williams and Corey Graham - and turn all this negativity into bulletin board material . .I've seen this type of thing happen at my own work. New Leader came in and made us great - again.

With the right coach and draft, this team is close enough to be the Bully Rex tried to build.

You didn't answer the question at all. Thanks for playing.

I did. If Whaley said keep him he would be there.

If they "never ever spoke ever", Pegula would stick with his plan he trumpeted to the masses in October: "good times or bad, you don't fire your HC" two years in, for..."continuity", you know.

Whaley said he didn't even know that Pegula might fire Rex...or that Rex was at any risk at all!

Really??

Anyway, yes, I believe any GM should know when his HC is about to be fired. Whaley absolutely knew but lied about it. What part of this is confusing?

Maybe be was referring to the fact that Rex was cired before the season was over? But really, who cares? Its his job to lie to the press. Faces of organizations lie to the press every minute of everyday. Could he have handled it better? Sure, but only the idiot talking heads and miserable DBs at this place are making a big deal out of it. I would have told them to go @#$% themselves about 2 minutes in, followed by kicking Sully in his old man balls on the way out.

If they "never ever spoke ever", Pegula would stick with his plan he trumpeted to the masses in October: "good times or bad, you don't fire your HC" two years in, for..."continuity", you know.

BUT. I. DIDN'T. ASK. THAT.

Of course they spoke and of course he lied. As stated directly above, I have said he lied 20+ times.

Let me ask you, in the midst of a head coaching search, do you think it is prudent for a GM to discuss the reasons and conversations about the previous HC and why he was bad for the organization?

I realize Whaley could rephrase his answers to be more PR friendly to the media while still saying nothing, but honestly I don't think he thinks the people calling the Pegula's bozos deserve it.

So let me get this straight....you believe Doug undermined Rex because "follow the money", you thought it would benefit Doug to "throw Rex under the bus" and save his hide.

Now you perceive that firing Rex or undermining him is actually not to Doug's benefit, but instead of going back and re-examining the basis for your belief and saying "gee, so since I believed Doug did it to save his hide, but it's actually causing Doug problems, maybe I should re-think this" now you're all "Doug is really dumb and did a dumb thing".

SMH

Yeah, Whaley undermined Rex all year long:

Shaq Lawson

Reggie Ragland

Adolphus Washington

Kevon Seymour

Zach Brown

Leger Douzable

Deandre Coleman

Lorenzo Alexander

Brandon Spikes

Ramon Humber (ex - Saints)

Robert Blanton (total failure this year)

Last year

IK Enemkpali

Honorable mention

Ross Cockrell (starting CB with the Steelers)

Whaley, such a POS.

Correct. But because he's under contract does mean he has to come back if he wants to play football.

Tyrod is okay, which is better than we've had in forever.

He's a 50/50 keep/cut case already.

One thing he does control is whether he wants to renegotiate and take a pay cut.

Answer me this. Straight and honestly. I know that's nearly impossible for you but try. For me. Do you actually believe that Doug Whaley had to say one word to Terry Pegula that would influence or change Pegula's opinion as to whether or not Rex needed to be fired? If they never said a word to each other do you think Terry would have kept Rex as the coach for next year?

BUT. I. DIDN'T. ASK. THAT.

Of course they spoke and of course he lied. As stated directly above, I have said he lied 20+ times.

How many of you are in there Sybil?

Let me ask you, in the midst of a head coaching search, do you think it is prudent for a GM to discuss the reasons and conversations about the previous HC and why he was bad for the organization?

I realize Whaley could rephrase his answers to be more PR friendly to the media while still saying nothing, but honestly I don't think he thinks the people calling the Pegula's bozos deserve it.

No! Gar better for the GM to portray himself as a guy distancing himself from decisions (or not even privy to basic GM functions/decision making processes!

Because that press conference and the fallout is exactly what any top candidate is going to look for in is next GM!

Did you really just ask me that?

So let me get this straight....you believe Doug undermined Rex because "follow the money", you thought it would benefit Doug to "throw Rex under the bus" and save his hide.

Now you perceive that firing Rex or undermining him is actually not to Doug's benefit, but instead of going back and re-examining the basis for your belief and saying "gee, so since I believed Doug did it to save his hide, but it's actually causing Doug problems, maybe I should re-think this" now you're all "Doug is really dumb and did a dumb thing".

SMH

It looks like Doug is failing at three dimensional chess.

He thought that all would be well if he undermined Rex with ownership so that he would not be blamed and he could keep his job. He is now in charge and made a fool out of himself and embarrassed the franchise and the owners. An Icon of the franchise (who happens to be close to the Pegulas) called him out publicly. What he did not count on is that he would have been better off if he had helped to convince ownership to keep Rex. If Rex were still around, he never would have gone through what he went through yesterday, he would not be faced with picking from the runts of the NFL coaching litter, and he would not be embarrassing the franchise around the league. I suspect billionaires do not like being embarrassed by the guy who convinced them all would be better if they would put their eggs in the Doug Whaley basket.

Edited by Peter