Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm.

Polian: Coaching candidates have reason to be wary of Bills

“The fact of the matter is that if you’re a candidate for the Bills job, you begin to say to yourself, ‘What kind of an organization am I stepping into?’ ‘’ Polian, an ESPN analyst, said on air Tuesday.

“For one thing, Terry Pegula is a straightforward and honest guy; I know him pretty well. The sentence that said ‘based on discussions that were going on all year,’ is the operative one, within the organization,’’ Polian said. “I’m assuming Doug Whaley was involved in them, and were having those kinds of discussions, leading to the decision Terry gave to Rex. The bottom line is, it’s a little disingenuous to say, ‘I wasn’t involved in the decision.’ Terry said there was discussion and you have to assume the general manager is involved in those discussions.’’

“Doug Whaley said, 'The ownership has confidence in me,' ’’ Polian said. “If that’s the case, he’ll make the decision and he’ll own the decision. He’ll own the coach, he’ll own whoever the quarterback is going forward. I would argue that the waters have probably been sullied enough with Tyrod Taylor that he might not come back, but whoever the quarterback, he’s going to own him.

Edited by Peter

Polian did find reason to be positive about the Bills situation when hearing Whaley has been empowered by ownership to pick the next head coach. It could be a sign of a power structure change creating a ladder of accountability.

“Doug Whaley said, 'The ownership has confidence in me,' ’’ Polian said. “If that’s the case, he’ll make the decision and he’ll own the decision. He’ll own the coach, he’ll own whoever the quarterback is going forward. I would argue that the waters have probably been sullied enough with Tyrod Taylor that he might not come back, but whoever the quarterback, he’s going to own him.

Hey, Bill - it's not up to Tyrod.

“The issue with the quarterback puzzles me,’’ Polian said. “I can understand Tyrod Taylor perhaps had some injury risk playing in that game, but why EJ Manuel? He proved once again that three staffs don’t think he can play; they yanked him from the game and it’s obvious the head coach wasn’t involved in that decision. Now that is troubling, because it’s not the owner making that decision, it’s the general manager and somebody else in the organization, I don’t know who, making that decision.’’

Why is this troubling? You clearly lay out why the decision was made. If you are troubled by EJ Manuel starting over Cardale Jones, well that should be pretty obvious. Bills are going to let EJ go in the offseason, and they wanted to let him have a chance to prove he can be at least a back-up to the Bills or other teams. Failing miserably doesn't change the reason they let EJ start. Starting Cardale Jones the whole game doesn't change much at all in terms of their decision on him. They have the offseason and preseason to look at Cardale. This isn't complicated people. Think it through.

I wonder if Doug Whaley has seen the Green Mile.

Doug made a mistake . . . a big mistake (if you are like me and think that he undermined Rex). Whaley would be a lot better off if he did everything he could to make sure that Rex was not fired.

Edited by Peter

Polian calling out Whaley's BS on the Rex firing.

Let the koolaiders spin this...

Spin what exactly? Did the media not ask who Rex reports to when he was hired? What was the answer?

As for Whaley not providing his feedback to reporters on Pegula firing Rex? I don't blame him. The media is looking for their next headline, and he knew it going in.

"Whaley doesn't agree that Rex should have been fired! At odds with Pegula #dysfunction"

"Whaley agreed that Rex should have been fired, but is not taking responsibility for the hire. At odds with Pegula. #dysfunction"

"Whaley agreed that Rex should have been fired, but isn't he the one who hired him? #dysfunction"

All potential headlines that would be the controversy had he done any of it differently.

Edit: It is hilarious to me that people speak of spinning this whole thing when that is all the media is doing.

Edited by What a Tuel

No, but Rex did.

He did . . . he is getting paid . . . and will be getting a stress free job in the media.

Doug Whaley on the other hand outsmarted himself. Now he has Bill Polian (who is close with ownership) going public with this. Wow. Just wow.

In the end, Doug may end up being a Blesto or area scout before he and Darcy shack up together in the new version of the odd couple that I mentioned the other day..

Spin what exactly? Did the media not ask who Rex reports to when he was hired? What was the answer?

As for Whaley not providing his feedback to reporters on Pegula firing Rex? I don't blame him. The media is looking for their next headline, and he knew it going in.

"Whaley doesn't agree that Rex should have been fired! At odds with Pegula #dysfunction"

"Whaley agreed that Rex should have been fired, but is not taking responsibility for the hire. At odds with Pegula. #dysfunction"

"Whaley agreed that Rex should have been fired, but isn't he the one who hired him? #dysfunction"

All potential headlines that would be the controversy had he done any of it differently.

Except he did. How did you miss that? He said he didn't know Rex was in trouble. Says he wasn't involved. Polian laid waste to that.

Polian calling out Whaley's BS on the Rex firing.

Let the koolaiders spin this...

How can anyone actually believe that the GM of the team never discussed the team's coaching with the owner over the course of the season and, when informed by the owner that the coach had been fired, didn't even care enough to ask why? It's loudicrous. Edited by vincec