Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a really weird interview. Carruci didn't hear that from Lynn, it's nebulous 'talk around the league'. He said Lynn is unhappy with Whaley's press conference saying he was in the room with Whaley and the Pegulas when the final decision to bench Tyrod Taylor and start EJ Manuel was made because it's "Whaley calling him a liar". I imagine Whaley wasn't thrilled with Lynn saying he wasn't involved in the decision if Whaley called him in, put Pegula on speaker, and said something like "we'd like to bench Tyrod for business reasons and so we can get a look at the younger guys on the roster, what are your thoughts on that?" and Lynn said "It's next man up, I'll get with my coaches but that would be Manuel and I'm OK with that".

Whaley says he and Lynn have talked and "we're good", but either THAT'S the lie or Carucci is just stirring the pot.

I thought it was pretty clear in the presser that Whaley was not enthusiastic about Lynn. He was asked if Lynn represented "continuity" to him, and he corrected that to "familiarity". It may be that Lynn actually isn't that high on Whaley's list, that, similar to Coughlin, Lynn was someone the Pegulas favored but Whaley is driving. It may be "dem grapes look sour"

The weirdest part of this weird interview is toward the end, where Carucci goes on at some length about something Whaley should have said, when it was a question the press could have, perhaps should have, asked and didn't and Whaley was responding non-stop to questions, sometimes 2-3 at once.

I interpreted the continuity-familiarity correction to mean that Lynn is not Roman or Rex, and his O and D won't be a continuation of their schemes.

Oh daaaaaaamn - he's pissed at the Bills! :beer:

Anthony Lynn knows what happened behind the scenes. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. Nevertheless, it appears that ownership is more interested in him than Doug Whaley is.

First off, most these types of rumors are more media garbage with little substance. But lets assume its true...has anyone consider the fact that Whaley and Bills have made it pretty clear that they aren't just going to hand him the job that maybe its a good way for him to save face by creating speculation he doesnt want the job rather than the Bills don't want him? I honestly would do that, especially if I am being considered for other HC positions. He is a RB coach who spent part of a season as an OC. I would be worried that my current team not being sold on me would hurt my appeal to the other teams given I didn't have a long resume in the first place.

So not much to see here...and honestly, while I would consider him, he would be far from my first choice. He would be the biggest gamble of any candidate given he has no where near the experience to be confident in, hasnt even been an OC for a full season, often made a lot of questionable calls, and had his team utterly embarrassed by a bad team in his only game as a HC. I know its a bit unfair to judge him on last week, but its not that we lost, its how embarrassing we lost and when you don't have much of a resume above being a RB coach, every thing matters.

If I made a list of 5 candidates, he would be #5 on my list ONLY because he was here already. If I was a team other than the Bills, he would not be on my top 5 wish list just because he is such an unknown commodity. I just hope teams are serious about Lynn rather than just using him to comply with the rules.

probably since he is not even getting an interview.

I mean who would want a guy that has head coaching experience, led the worst team of all time to the playoffs and runs a great defense and even did so here.

apparently no one... unless I missed his interview news elsewhere

That's not true. He said he was hearing from around the league...specifically that Lynn is miffed that Whaley made Lynn look like he was lying about the benching of TT.

The source could be Baghdad Bob and you'd be on here posting about its credibility. :lol:

I think all this dysfunction talk aside...The fact that Lynn may not want the job is not going to bother many Bills fans...

That's not to say the guy won't be a decent HC...But seriously...I realize guys have come from nowhere in the past...John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc...Does anyone here feel Lynn gives off that kind of vibe as a candidate?

If they go with Lynn I'll trust the decision and move on to the prove it portion of the process...I'm not opposed to Lynn, nor am I excited...But I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep if Anthony Lynn does not want to be the Bills HC...I think the chances of him being a one-and-done guy are greater than the chances of him being the next Harbaugh, or Tomlin... B-)

First off, most these types of rumors are more media garbage with little substance. But lets assume its true...has anyone consider the fact that Whaley and Bills have made it pretty clear that they aren't just going to hand him the job that maybe its a good way for him to save face by creating speculation he doesnt want the job rather than the Bills don't want him? I honestly would do that, especially if I am being considered for other HC positions. He is a RB coach who spent part of a season as an OC. I would be worried that my current team not being sold on me would hurt my appeal to the other teams given I didn't have a long resume in the first place.

So not much to see here...and honestly, while I would consider him, he would be far from my first choice. He would be the biggest gamble of any candidate given he has no where near the experience to be confident in, hasnt even been an OC for a full season, often made a lot of questionable calls, and had his team utterly embarrassed by a bad team in his only game as a HC. I know its a bit unfair to judge him on last week, but its not that we lost, its how embarrassing we lost and when you don't have much of a resume above being a RB coach, every thing matters.

That's because his employer and GM had decided to bench his starting QB.

Did you really miss that part while you were carrying all that water for OBD?

You really like that uninspired list of coaches they are interviewing?[/quote

Did Shannahan turn them down or they didn't even bother? It's pretty safe to assume both Pats coordinators wouldn't answer the phone.

Sadly, I think you are correct about the Pats guys. I also think that they realize they do not have a chance with KS so probably are not asking.

Doug may want to block caller ID when he makes these calls.

I thought it was pretty clear in the presser that Whaley was not enthusiastic about Lynn. He was asked if Lynn represented "continuity" to him, and he corrected that to "familiarity". It may be that Lynn actually isn't that high on Whaley's list, that, similar to Coughlin, Lynn was someone the Pegulas favored but Whaley is driving. It may be "dem grapes look sour"

As I said yesterday......THE MOST BILLSY conclusion would be the Pegula's shooting down Whaleys choice........from what is basically a soggy list of candidates that are even willing to consider taking a job with lame duck Whaley........and then telling him they want to hire Lynn. :lol:

I think it's his search but they are hoping Whaley brings them something unexpectedly inspired(doubtful from that list) ...OR....more likely comes to THEIR conclusion to hire a guy like Lynn or Coughlinn.

Edited by #BADOL

If I made a list of 5 candidates, he would be #5 on my list ONLY because he was here already. If I was a team other than the Bills, he would not be on my top 5 wish list just because he is such an unknown commodity. I just hope teams are serious about Lynn rather than just using him to comply with the rules.

Agreed....but if true, Rex may have caught his ear. Screw it. Let him walk. Maybe he (or his agent) is posturing for bigger $$.

Excellent interview with Carucci. We should not overestimate the talent on this team. It is truly middling and it's going to get worse. The talent level on this team is the biggest myth that pervades the franchise, and if Taylor is out the door, we're going into next season with no competent qb (who is not a rookie). Fasten your seatbelts.

The fact that Lynn may not want the job is not going to bother many Bills fans...

It may not bother many Bills fans, but I suspect that it would raise concern with guys who may be candidates for the job.