Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

Just an opinion, but I don't think Anthony Lynn gets any of the other jobs he interviews for. So..........I think he and his agent have been fighting like hell behind the scenes to get the Bills job. I mean didn't he just say he didn't want to be any other place. They realize this is his best chance to ever be an NFL coach, he isn't getting any younger.

Edited by horned dogs

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It obviously wasn't an ultimatum. You carried this asinine argument in another thread. It's stupid.

Your only counter is that since Whaley is still here. Rex was only fired after the Bills were eliminated.

What's "stupid" about this?

Since when is Lynn a "don't let him leave the building" guy?

And who is the can't miss vet HC that won't come to Buffalo because of the "dysfunction"? Only one that comes to my mind is Payton and it's not clear if he's available. Plus after the Rex misfire it's time to go with an unproven.

Much like QB's there are only 32 HC jobs available, I'm fine with Lynn...unless he isn't fine with us. A lot of fish in the pond and I'm not sure what distinguishes him from the others.

Fair points, and I understand why you feel that way. But for me, none of that means he is ready to manage a team, a roster, a game clock, game situations, etc. He has been a RB coach until this year where he was a partial season OC. While I definitely think he did a very good job overall as OC, some things that concerned me is the poor choices he made with the season on the line in key games down the stretch. Then his week as interim HC didn't do anything to help his cause. I wouldn't say it ruined his case by any means, but it definitely did him no favors.

One thing I always find interesting is that people harp on the HC all season long about all things they don't do right on and off the field...but when it comes time to choose a new coach, they grossly over look how much responsibility that person will have and ignore the lack of experience handling it or previous failures at handling it (regarding coaching retreads). Im just not sold Lynn is ready for that yet, just my personal opinion.

So what have Reich-McDermott-Joseph-Goodwin-Richard done that makes you think they are ready to manage a team, a roster, a game clock, game situations, etc.?

The anxiety and hand wringing in this thread is ridiculous. !@#$ Carucci...he doesn't have any inside info. He's creating clickable stories that support the BN narrative. If you think Buffalo is dysfunctional, go visit the Jets, Niners, Browns and Colts boards. Smh

The Browns are awful.......but their job isn't open BBF.

Jets, Niners and Colts have issues but those organizations have been to the playoffs maybe 25 times combined since the Bills last were :lol: .....including a few SB berths for fuxake :lol: ......their issues are NOW issues........the Bills issues RUN DEEEEEEP......as the marketing department would say. :thumbsup:

^ Let's keep in mind that the people who write about Buffalo sports are not journalists, do not claim to be journalists and don't adhere to those standards. They have failed the community by being unable to hold the local sports organizations accountable because they unable to devolve to message board warriors if everything doesn't go exactly the way they want it to go in their lives.

Have you ever wondered why Buffalo News Media rarely breaks anything of note and are left grasping at straws like they are here?

This is a really weird interview. Carruci didn't hear that from Lynn, it's nebulous 'talk around the league'. He said Lynn is unhappy with Whaley's press conference saying he was in the room with Whaley and the Pegulas when the final decision to bench Tyrod Taylor and start EJ Manuel was made because it's "Whaley calling him a liar". I imagine Whaley wasn't thrilled with Lynn saying he wasn't involved in the decision if Whaley called him in, put Pegula on speaker, and said something like "we'd like to bench Tyrod for business reasons and so we can get a look at the younger guys on the roster, what are your thoughts on that?" and Lynn said "It's next man up, I'll get with my coaches but that would be Manuel and I'm OK with that".

Whaley says he and Lynn have talked and "we're good", but either THAT'S the lie or Carucci is just stirring the pot.

I thought it was pretty clear in the presser that Whaley was not enthusiastic about Lynn. He was asked if Lynn represented "continuity" to him, and he corrected that to "familiarity". It may be that Lynn actually isn't that high on Whaley's list, that, similar to Coughlin, Lynn was someone the Pegulas favored but Whaley is driving. It may be "dem grapes look sour"

The weirdest part of this weird interview is toward the end, where Carucci goes on at some length about something Whaley should have said, when it was a question the press could have, perhaps should have, asked and didn't and Whaley was responding non-stop to questions, sometimes 2-3 at once.

I'm not sure I understand the take. The decision to sit TT was made by Whaley & Pegula, and that's apparently what led Rex to have a sidebar with Pegula that got him fired. Then Whaley told Lynn that he's the coach and EJ is the starter. I don't see how that doesn't mesh with what both guys said in their press conferences.

I've heard from reliable sources that Vic is full of crap. And again, hearing from around the league is the last resort. Not even near to the nebulous "league sources." You know that.

Dave McBride, wouldn't expect that level of gullible from you seeing your posts over the years.

The media reports have been consistently kindergarten for the last month.

As I said, the SUBSTANCE of it. Focus on the lawyerly particulars if you want, but this franchise for better or worse was effectively blown up in the past 10 days--a franchise that would may well have crawled to 8-8 if they played their one competent qb in week 17.

It's obvious to everyone that over the course of the season that the defense was the issue, Rex was not getting the job done, the offense was not the problem, and the team was in disarray. That was obviously the problem. It's exactly what you saw, too. That in no way means the substance of an ULTIMATUM, get in the playoffs or you are gone, is true. It just isn't. And it's proven by the fact that the allegedly ultimatum was not Rex, it was Rex and Doug, which was clearly not true.

Do you also want to say that the substance of the ultimatum given to Doug was a flat lie by Vic?

It obviously wasn't an ultimatum. You carried this asinine argument in another thread. It's stupid.

If you entirely discount ALL of the talk about Rex thinking this was probably his last season since before the season even started.....telling Lynn he'd be the next coach etc.....then maybe it "obviously" wasn't an ultimatum.......a Doug Marrone kinda' "obviously" but maybe "obviously". :lol:

It's obvious to everyone that over the course of the season that the defense was the issue, Rex was not getting the job done, the offense was not the problem, and the team was in disarray. That was obviously the problem. It's exactly what you saw, too. That in no way means the substance of an ULTIMATUM, get in the playoffs or you are gone, is true. It just isn't. And it's proven by the fact that the allegedly ultimatum was not Rex, it was Rex and Doug, which was clearly not true.

Do you also want to say that the substance of the ultimatum given to Doug was a flat lie by Vic?

Wait, i thought Pegula was quite able to "change his mind", like he did when he fired Rex after, in October, saying it would be wrong to do so, "good or bad"