Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what have Reich-McDermott-Joseph-Goodwin-Richard done that makes you think they are ready to manage a team, a roster, a game clock, game situations, etc.?

So where did you read me post those guys were my choices because I never posted them. I have said I would rather see us find a proven HC over an unproven coordinator, but thats always easier said than done.

And again, all my point was is that if you add Lynn to that list, he has had the least experience of anyone. And while I do think Lynn did a good job as OC considering he was thrust into it in week 2, I was also concerned of some his play calls with games on the line and even the season on the line in Miami. By no means did he blow me away as a guy to not let out of the building. Would I be pissed if we hired him...of course not, but he would not be a guy I would just give the job too. If I was Whaley, if I had a list of 5 guys, I would pencil him as #5 on that list until I conducted all the interviews and he would need to convince me he was the right guy.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'm so confused at why this is a bad job.

A place where if you go 9-7 or 10-6 and make the playoffs you are a hero, a place where you have enough talent to average 8 wins the last three years.

Suddenly if you don't have Bellichick complete control and Whaley does had a big hand in building the roster it isn't worth doing?

And the Pegulas are so impossible to work for because after throwing away a promising season with incompetent coaching and poor defense a disappointing coach was fired?

I get the org chart is a little unclear but I don't see any reason why Pegula and Whaley aren't expected to give the new HC the support and freedom he needs, and don't see where that didn't happen with Rex and Marrone.

I know Chip Kelly isn't coming (joking), but this seems like a great situation for a good coach to step in and succeed.

Or in the case of Rodak's magical tweet from Saturn: they don't give you information, then they can't complain when you make it up.

Exactly.

Rodak: the bills are going to hire Lynn as the HC

*other HC's accept other jobs after the tweet*

Rodak: Well the bills wanted this person(not Lynn) but they took another job.

Kinda !@#$ing with your business when you do that but who cares.

Edited by The Wiz

This feud between the Bills and TBN has got to stop. It's like TBN is having a temper tantrum now. Shoddy writing is one thing (and tolerable), but it's like they have taken it personal. I tried to read this article tonight and it's like they're going out of their way to badmouth Whaley. This quote made me cringe:

"A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley."

Really?

No. An ultimatum is an ultimatum or it's not an ultimatum.

Giving ultimatums is an inevitable part of being a boss.

Here's how it goes........"this is UNACCEPTABLE and this HAS to change"

That is a real-life.....real business situation ultimatum.

The employee then leaves with the idea that it's improve or else.

For the Bills......improving from 8-8 was effectively a playoff ultimatum.

Whaley didn't say much lately but opening up with......"7-9......not good enough" spoke volumes.

And it speaks to how important being better next year is too, for that matter.

Edited by #BADOL

This feud between the Bills and TBN has got to stop. It's like TBN is having a temper tantrum now. Shoddy writing is one thing (and tolerable), but it's like they have taken it personal. I tried to read this article tonight and it's like they're going out of their way to badmouth Whaley. This quote made me cringe:

"A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley."

Really?

They're flush with anonymous sources but batting .000 when it comes to actual scoops. Hmmmm...

So where did you read me post those guys were my choices because I never posted them. I have said I would rather see us find a proven HC over an unproven coordinator, but thats always easier said than done.

And again, all my point was is that if you add Lynn to that list, he has had the least experience of anyone. And while I do think Lynn did a good job as OC considering he was thrust into it in week 2, I was also concerned of some his play calls with games on the line and even the season on the line in Miami. By no means did he blow me away as a guy to not let out of the building. Would I be pissed if we hired him...of course not, but he would not be a guy I would just give the job too. If I was Whaley, if I had a list of 5 guys, I would pencil him as #5 on that list until I conducted all the interviews and he would need to convince me he was the right guy.

Those are the candidates. I'd be surprised if any more than one or two are added, and I doubt we see anyone on the list with prior HC experience.

Lynn has been a player or coach in the NFL since the early 90's. Has worked with and under a large number of very accomplished coaches. Least experience of anyone?

You keep talking about Lynn's play calls as if they're a negative - first of all, it was one bad play call vs. Miami in an otherwise brilliant game by him. Secondly, he won't be calling plays as the head coach anyway.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Giving ultimatums is an inevitable part of being a boss.

Here's how it goes........"this is UNACCEPTABLE and this HAS to change"

That is a real-life.....real business situation ultimatum.

The employee then leaves with the idea that it's improve or else.

For the Bills......improving from 8-8 was effectively a playoff ultimatum.

Whaley didn't say much lately but opening up with......"7-9......not good enough" spoke volumes.

And it speaks to how important being better next year is too, for that matter.

But

If "this is unacceptable and it has to change" and then nothing changes and it's totally acceptable it is not really an ultimatum.

So if Whaley talked himself out of getting fired then there could NOT have been an ultimatum?

That's very unconvincing.

It's more convincing than thinking you can talk your way out of an "ultimatum."

Those are the candidates. I'd be surprised if any more than one or two are added, and I doubt we see anyone on the list with prior HC experience.

Lynn has been a player or coach in the NFL since the early 90's. Has worked with and under a large number of very accomplished coaches.

You keep talking about Lynn's play calls as if they're a negative - first of all, it was one bad play call vs. Miami in an otherwise brilliant game by him. Secondly, he won't be calling plays as the head coach anyway.

It was more than just the Miami game...but lets address your last statement. You said he wont be calling plays anyway...so what value does he have as a HC? The only thing he really has going for him is the offense...if he isn't going to be installing the offense and calling the plays, what else does he have on his resume that says he should be a HC?

Don't get me wrong, its not unusual for a HC to not call the plays...I am just saying I haven't seen enough to just feel he is the best guy for the job by default. And lets go back to the Miami game...in his biggest moment of the season, with the season and the playoffs on the line, he absolutely blew it. When you don't have a long resume, these moments stand out more. And it wasnt the first time this season where the game was on the line and questionable play calling came out at the end of the game. These are things I look at when seeing if I feel this guy is ready to lead a team and be in charge of ALL decisions.

If "this is unacceptable and it has to change" and then nothing changes and it's totally acceptable it is not really an ultimatum.

Rex got fired.

I think Whaley did his part to steer blame away from himself but I'm hardly convinced that Whaley has a fresh start.

This is often what happens when ultimatums are issued.........I start getting extra office visits and literal or figurative finger pointing in an attempt to deflect blame.

I know you don't believe a word K-9 says but he claims Whaley and Terry were both beside themselves with Rex decision to punt in OT two weeks ago. Can you believe that Rex? :lol:

Again......do you think Whaley has TWO more losing seasons in him?

If you won't answer I will do it for you.........you DON'T because you aren't that naive. :thumbsup:

Edited by #BADOL

Of course it's good. I imagine league meetings are a little easier on the eyes with Kim Pegula sitting between Jerry Jones, Marc Davis, Dan Snyder and Arthur Blank.

Not to mention the fact that the pegulas paid $1.4b for a team in NFL market 31 of 32 and therefore significantly raised franschise values across the board.

It's more convincing than thinking you can talk your way out of an "ultimatum."

Really? You think Whaley, faced with that prospect, didn't spend the season positioning himself away from from Rex with the Pegulas?

That's really impossible for you to even consider? Come on doc...Whaley is a bullish--tter.

Rex got fired.

I think Whaley did his part to steer blame away from himself but I'm hardly convinced that Whaley has a fresh start.

This is often what happens when ultimatums are issued.........I start getting extra office visits and literal or figurative finger pointing in an attempt to deflect blame.

I know you don't believe a word K-9 says but he claims Whaley and Terry were both beside themselves with Rex decision to punt in OT two weeks ago. Can you believe that Rex? :lol:

Again......do you think Whaley has TWO more losing seasons in him?

If you won't answer I will do it for you.........you DON'T because you aren't that naive. :thumbsup:

First, I believe most of what K-9 says. Especially lately. Don't know why you think that. Second, I already answered your same question to me about Whaley. I don't think he has much time at all. Who would?

It was more than just the Miami game...but lets address your last statement. You said he wont be calling plays anyway...so what value does he have as a HC? The only thing he really has going for him is the offense...if he isn't going to be installing the offense and calling the plays, what else does he have on his resume that says he should be a HC?

Don't get me wrong, its not unusual for a HC to not call the plays...I am just saying I haven't seen enough to just feel he is the best guy for the job by default. And lets go back to the Miami game...in his biggest moment of the season, with the season and the playoffs on the line, he absolutely blew it. When you don't have a long resume, these moments stand out more. And it wasnt the first time this season where the game was on the line and questionable play calling came out at the end of the game. These are things I look at when seeing if I feel this guy is ready to lead a team and be in charge of ALL decisions.

It's going to be the same offense we saw this season. Which is a really good thing.

Play calling is so terribly overrated. If the players execute and the play works it's a "great play call!" If the players don't execute and the play doesn't work it's a "horrible play call!" Play-callers are a dime-a-dozen. The system and scheme and gameplan/adjustments are tremendously more important. Kromer will be just fine calling the plays.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Maybe Whaley wasn't "privy" to said ultimatum! If he wasn't "in the room" when it was delivered, did it really happen?

This is an investigation only Joe B can handle, like examining how much bark fell off the tree in front of the Mongolian BBQ after the drag race.

Who would want this job?

Everyone comes off as a bunch of incompetent bumbling idiots at OBD.

And fans still apologize for them.

Riddle me this:

What is greater?

The level of dysfunction at One Bills Drive, or the level of denial at Two Bills Drive?

I understand that many here have a belief system built around the Bills and need to believe they are competent in order to maintain cosmic equilibrium in their lives....but many of the comments are still shocking.

These people are zealots. You cannot reason with them and they are not changing their minds about anything.