HC candidate Kris Richard interviewing 1/8

YoloinOhio

No. These coaches realize that's how the league works.

Not to mention that having a former HC on the staff of a first time HC (especially when those two worked together for years) could be good thing to help Richard through some of the ups and downs of the gig.

Would love to know who he's considering as OC...

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah.

Wade worked for kubiak.

Whiz worked for McCoy.

I know there are others too.

Yea, would Bradley rather go report to someone else for some reason? If he knows they share visions/philosophy and are a personality fit to work together then I don't think he will care about the flip flop in the power dynamic between them

Yea, would Bradley rather go report to someone else for some reason? If he knows they share visions/philosophy and are a personality fit to work together then I don't think he will care about the flip flop in the power dynamic between them

Good points.

I know that and he hasn't been there in 7 years. I just don't really understand the fascination we have with that organization ( I know, a rust belt city, has won some SBs, etc); why keep going back to that one organization when there are other teams you can hire people from. Everything they have is not the best and you end up limiting yourself...

we haven't hired anyone from there in a while. Butler could be a good HC hire.

I like Richard....a lot. The NFL s about teaching young guys how to play. His coaching style is infectious and his attention to detail is reported to be extreme.

attention to detail is fantastic for a HC. Sounds like he could be the type of guy that lets the OC and DC's do their thing, yet demands accountability from them and the players.

I know that and he hasn't been there in 7 years. I just don't really understand the fascination we have with that organization ( I know, a rust belt city, has won some SBs, etc); why keep going back to that one organization when there are other teams you can hire people from. Everything they have is not the best and you end up limiting yourself...

If you are setting out to emulate one franchise with yours, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a pretty damn solid franchise to emulate. It has nothing to do with "rust belt, won some SB's" etc. etc., and everything to do with consistency and staying competitive year after year. In my lifetime of following NFL football (since 1972) there have been only a handful of years where they haven't been at the top, or near the top of their division...and they have had only 3 head coaches in all of that time. Each one has won a Super Bowl.

If you are setting out to emulate one franchise with yours, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a pretty damn solid franchise to emulate. It has nothing to do with "rust belt, won some SB's" etc. etc., and everything to do with consistency and staying competitive year after year. In my lifetime of following NFL football (since 1972) there have been only a handful of years where they haven't been at the top, or near the top of their division...and they have had only 3 head coaches in all of that time. Each one has won a Super Bowl.

I couldn't agree more. The Steelers should be the model for the Bills, not New England. The Pats caught lightning in a bottle drafting Brady in the 6th round. Not a repeatable formula. The Steelers are in a smaller market, like the Bills( more relevant than being in the rust belt). They always build an OL that can run the ball, and have run the same defensive base (3-4) seemingly forever. This makes drafting players a much more focused philosophy. Their FO always knows what kind of players they need. The Bills constant churning of coaches and philosophies complicates drafting and could leave them with players that no longer fit the scheme. The Steelers D and running game have been consistently good and kept them competitive even when they have lacked a franchise caliber QB.

Because it is lazy and easy for "reporters" to report things based on Ties. Pitt and Whaley Ties. Pegulas Ties to PA. Makes it easy for them to say look at these two guys from Steelers

My point is this - we have been trying to emulate them since what 2000 when Donahoe came over - how's that been working out for us? Have we really done a good job of that? We even had LeBeau with Greggo and let LeBeau go back to Pittsburgh...sigh

Because it is lazy and easy for "reporters" to report things based on Ties. Pitt and Whaley Ties. Pegulas Ties to PA. Makes it easy for them to say look at these two guys from Steelers

They also mastered the non-news news bite. It's when they say something "may be" happening citing an unnamed source.

My point is this - we have been trying to emulate them since what 2000 when Donahoe came over - how's that been working out for us? Have we really done a good job of that? We even had LeBeau with Greggo and let LeBeau go back to Pittsburgh...sigh

well one thing we keep doing is trying to change schemes and bad drafting. keep drafting rb's in the first and letting guys walk. pick the 4-3 for good. then keep the good guys and draft well. how many rb's did we take in the 1st or 2nd over a ten year period? that's one huge reason for our failure.

I must say that the idea of the Bills running their locker room and practices in a Seattle fashion is intriguing.

Fred Jackson raves about it.

Not the most important thing but wouldn't hurt this organization to have a young, energetic vibe to it either.

Losing young fans in Bills Country by the bushel to Pittsburgh and Dallas.

Also, let's remember that Bradley probably has his tail between his legs at this point. He was a historically unsuccessful HC.

So...we're hoping for Atlanta to light up Richard's defense this week so we can nab him to be our HC?

Pretty funny stuff...

Uh yeah. It doesn't have to be that way. His D could play great but the offense turns the ball over a lot.

Also, let's remember that Bradley probably has his tail between his legs at this point. He was a historically unsuccessful HC.

Yeah, his best bet bet may be to come to a defense coming off a bad couple years with some good players, and getting credit for rebuilding it quick (if, of course, that were to happen). Then Richards stays here and Bradley gets another chance down the line. His career, however, is more likely to follow the Schwartz timeline, and it's going to be awhile if ever before he gets another HC chance.

So...we're hoping for Atlanta to light up Richard's defense this week so we can nab him to be our HC?

Pretty funny stuff...

I think the interest in Richards extends beyond what his defense does.

Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn got jobs because people want to replicate the vibe the Seahawks have going on.

They are an ELITE organization with regard to developing talent.

They used to get credit for shrewd drafting but we've seen good Seahawks players go elsewhere and fade into the background so I think their actual drafting was overrated and their culture is underrated.

The Bills are the opposite.......that 2015 team should have been a SB contender but was 6-8 when they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Coaching that creates synergy amongst it's players is very valuable.

Whether Richards can bring that with him is the question.

The Jacksonville job may be the most attractive of all the NFL openings, just for the sole reason that Khan will let the HC basically fire himself.

I think the interest in Richards extends beyond what his defense does.

Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn got jobs because people want to replicate the vibe the Seahawks have going on.

They are an ELITE organization with regard to developing talent.

They used to get credit for shrewd drafting but we've seen good Seahawks players go elsewhere and fade into the background so I think their actual drafting was overrated and their culture is underrated.

The Bills are the opposite.......that 2015 team should have been a SB contender but was 6-8 when they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Coaching that creates synergy amongst it's players is very valuable.

Whether Richards can bring that with him is the question.

Seattle's culture is great. It's so different from other NFL cultures. Gotta hand it to Carroll.