HC candidate Kris Richard interviewing 1/8

YoloinOhio

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refer to Darrell Bevell and Kyle Shanahan and you invoke Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone? I may be alone in this, but I don't think there is virtually any similarity except that all four of them pee standing up....ok, not Marrone, but the other three. Bevell is a Super Bowl winning OC 2x, has developed Russell Wilson and initially identified his talent and lobbied to Draft him to the Seahawks (yes, there are facts to back it up, you just have to read through the internet and reliable information), and Shanahan has one of the most dynamic Offenses in football to a near record setting tune...with Matt Ryan throwing for nearly 5,000 yards, 38 TDs to 7 INTs, the lowest number of INTs he's thrown in his career. And before you extol the virtues of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, keep in mind while Jones had gaudy-like numbers for a couple games, he was also hurt for a fair portion of the year and Ryan with Shanahan's offense was doing it without him. But of course, Doug Marrone - the Syracuse HC who could barely accomplish much, and Chan Gailey was already out of his depth, are comparable to those two names....

Just last year every Atlanta fan wanted Shanahan fired, Browns fans weren't sad to see him go when he left, and was a disaster in Washington. Good for him for this year but 1 great year shouldn't erase all of the other red flags. He may be a great HC but he has had a lot of bad with his good.

As for Bevell it is strange that he doesn't seem to get much play from any team really. With Carroll being a defensive guy Bevell should get all the credit for the Seattle O but it looks like another coaching season gone and I haven't heard his name linked to anything really.

Just last year every Atlanta fan wanted Shanahan fired, Browns fans weren't sad to see him go when he left, and was a disaster in Washington. Good for him for this year but 1 great year shouldn't erase all of the other red flags. He may be a great HC but he has had a lot of bad with his good.

As for Bevell it is strange that he doesn't seem to get much play from any team really. With Carroll being a defensive guy Bevell should get all the credit for the Seattle O but it looks like another coaching season gone and I haven't heard his name linked to anything really.

In Washington Shanahan designed an offense that his Rookie QB used to put together a ROY campaign. In Cleveland he designed an offense that amounted to a winning record with Brian Hoyer at QB, he had a down year before Matt Ryan bought into the system, and this year they outscored every other offense by 71 points.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I see Kim phoning in from Aspen excited the Bills are going to hire the NFL's first female head coach in Kris Richards.

Terry phoning in from Buffalo speed reading through all the notes Whaley has sent him but he hasn't read, curious why the WR on the team will make a good head coach...

Doug phoning in from the darkened front office where he's managed to fool everyone that he's not there and can't take media phone calls...

Everyone likes someone different...then you hear Terry quickly speed dialing another extension...

"Sorry to bother you Russ, but well Russ..., we can't decide. What do you think?"

And then Russ smiles slowly and widely as he stares at Two Bills Drive, open on his laptop, and starts talking..

As the scene starts fading to black, you hear Terry go "That's a great idea, Russ. Let's run with that."

Edited by dpberr

If the Bills hire Richard, I would bet anything that the number of missed tackles is reduced significantly.

Tyrod had one of his best games as a pro against the Seahawks and we pushed the ball down the field all game long. But that game really showed the difference between winners and losers. Gruden highlighted that the Seahawks' mantra was defending every inch of turf, continuing to battle even though you were being out-schemed on that particular day. In spite of yielding yards all game long it seemed inevitable that the Seahawks would make the big play on D at the end and they did.

In Washington Shanahan designed an offense that his Rookie QB used to put together a ROY campaign. In Cleveland he designed an offense that amounted to a winning record with Brian Hoyer at QB, he had a down year before Matt Ryan bought into the system, and this year they outscored every other offense by 71 points.

^^^^he responded before I got a chance to, but this is just about spot on to what I "would have" said / wrote. So, keep in mind, the Bills have not had a dynamic Offensive mind this century - let that sink in just for a moment and then come at me with Anthony Lynn (in all due respect to him). Additionally, ANY Offensive Coach that gets a winning record from Hoyer and truly catapulted RGIII to a winning season with a creative Offense, is surely someone to evaluate and consider...yet, Bills continue to go DC for interviews, absent Goodwin.

^^^^he responded before I got a chance to, but this is just about spot on to what I "would have" said / wrote. So, keep in mind, the Bills have not had a dynamic Offensive mind this century - let that sink in just for a moment and then come at me with Anthony Lynn (in all due respect to him). Additionally, ANY Offensive Coach that gets a winning record from Hoyer and truly catapulted RGIII to a winning season with a creative Offense, is surely someone to evaluate and consider...yet, Bills continue to go DC for interviews, absent Goodwin.

Both the Redskins and the Browns situations were flash in the pans. The Skins were 3-6 before going on a tear and Hoyer completed 55% of his passes with 12 tds and 13 ints. Shanahan may end up being a great HC but there are certainly reasons to be weary of him.

As to the DC I pulled something together last week that showed 6 of the top 10 offenses and the top 4 overall by DVOA offenses were led by a defensive minded HC. The Bills need to hire a good HC. Not a good OC/DC.

Both the Redskins and the Browns situations were flash in the pans. The Skins were 3-6 before going on a tear and Hoyer completed 55% of his passes with 12 tds and 13 ints. Shanahan may end up being a great HC but there are certainly reasons to be weary of him.

As to the DC I pulled something together last week that showed 6 of the top 10 offenses and the top 4 overall by DVOA offenses were led by a defensive minded HC. The Bills need to hire a good HC. Not a good OC/DC.

As to your contention about needing to hire a good HC not a good OC/DC, I whole-heartedly agree. But, every Coach will have their niche and every coach will have their weakness. Given Shanahan's pedigree, I personally think it's safe to assume he has connections on the Defensive side of the ball ready to come with him when he does get the HC gig...and yes, his Offense I'm sure will be designed and implemented by him, but you see McCarthy and Reid calling plays, so it can be done.

As to your contention about needing to hire a good HC not a good OC/DC, I whole-heartedly agree. But, every Coach will have their niche and every coach will have their weakness. Given Shanahan's pedigree, I personally think it's safe to assume he has connections on the Defensive side of the ball ready to come with him when he does get the HC gig...and yes, his Offense I'm sure will be designed and implemented by him, but you see McCarthy and Reid calling plays, so it can be done.

I'm not arguing against him as a HC I'm just saying there are warts present with him that could be making the Bills leary.

I'm staying out of the discussion of who should be HC. BOB had me excited when their were rumors of him getting fired but that is about it. At this point I am in wait and see mode with whomever they hire. I just hope it is a good one :thumbsup:

I see Kim phoning in from Aspen excited the Bills are going to hire the NFL's first female head coach in Kris Richards.

Terry phoning in from Buffalo speed reading through all the notes Whaley has sent him but he hasn't read, curious why the WR on the team will make a good head coach...

Doug phoning in from the darkened front office where he's managed to fool everyone that he's not there and can't take media phone calls...

Everyone likes someone different...then you hear Terry quickly speed dialing another extension...

"Sorry to bother you Russ, but well Russ..., we can't decide. What do you think?"

And then Russ smiles slowly and widely as he stares at Two Bills Drive, open on his laptop, and starts talking..

As the scene starts fading to black, you hear Terry go "That's a great idea, Russ. Let's run with that."

With Brandon and Whaley still with the team, I don't see the Bills making the playoffs this season. Then after the season should they fire Doug Whaley I can see the team promoting Jim Monos to GM and the vicious cycle continues!

i'm indifferent between he and mcdermott, both of them have had ups and downs.

i like how people say seattle is a dynasty. that's hilarious.

Winning records 11 out of the past 16 years, 13-9 in the playoffs with three Super Bowl appearances and one championship. 9-4 in the playoffs under Carroll.

Yeh he wouldn't just stand there w his hands on his hips w a dumb look on his face if he was angry.

Tom Landry didn't even do that, yet his teams enjoyed 20 straight winning seasons, 5 Conference Championships, and 2 Lombardis. Tom Coughlin had 2 Lombardis as well and he was pretty mild mannered on the sidelines.

All this rah rah yell at guys is OK as long as you're also football smart and a great leader.

You can win with it (Tomlin, Hardball ex 49er) or without it (Landry, Bill Bellyache, Coughlin).