Kyle Shanahan for Head Coach. Here is why...

dezertbill

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have me sold, nice writeup. Well Done. Unfortunatetly it is Lynn's job to lose. Whaley's search doesn't get him out of OBD.

It's not Lynn's job to lose. That bogus just like Marrone is the hot HC candidate.

I doubt Kyle S. would come here given he will have several choices (if he wants to be a HC). Smart guy, successful...I'd be fine with it.

I would be fine with Shanahan. But, IMO I don't think he would come here.

I also find it odd we haven't asked to interview him suggesting to me that Whaley doesn't want him or he doesn't want to come here.

Where is this information coming from about Whaley wanting his guy to be a Yes man!!!

Totally agree, propaganda

It's rather obvious, isn't it? Whaley has eventually clashed with the past two head coaches in first a screaming match over the players and lately Rex not starting the QB Whaley wants to see play.

Lynn went into a PC and didn't even have the slightest idea as to why Tyrod wasn't starting. He stated he wasn't even in the room when that decision was made and to compound it nobody let him know any details afterward.

I don't think it is obvious. Whaley helped get both HCs players they wanted for their systems and they weren't HCs he picked.

Let's see what Whaley does with his guy as HC. And, I would be shocked if that's Lynn.

Let's see what happens when HC and GM have the same beliefs.

But, for sure IMO, not obvious Whaley doesn't work well with others or wants a yes man.

Lineage aside, I believe Kyle Shanahan would be the perfect choice for the Bills organization moving forward as their next Head Coach. Here are my reasons why:

TRACK RECORD

Its not often that you have a shot at hiring the OC of the highest scoring offense in football. This season Shanahan is 1st with 502 points scored and 2nd in total yards. Thats 65 points higher than the 2nd leading scorer, the Saints. Their 33.5 average per game is 4 points more than the Saints. In 9 NFL seasons as OC, his offense has been in the top 10 six of those seasons, with four finishing in the top 5.

Although he is a pass-happy coordinator, that wouldnt necessarily spell bad news for LeSean McCoy. The Falcons are ranked 7th in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing TDs this year. Devonta Freeman only has 14 less carries than Shady and has the exact same amount of receptions. So you wont see Shady pouting about not being used. The Falcons are also 6th in rushing 1st downs and 4th in runs of 20+ yards or more. So there isnt a huge drop-off there. Shanahans offense takes care of the ball only having lost 3 fumbles all year, tied for 4th. In contrast, the Bills have lost 10, ranking them 28th.

Shanahan has also been successful with a running QB as well. In Robert Griffins rookie year 2012, the Redskins offense ranked 1st in rushing yards and 2nd in rushing TDs. They also finished 4th in total points and 5th in total yards. Washingtons 2013 campaign of 3-13 was due a porous defense and RGIII not being in fully healthy. Redskins still finished 9th in total yards and 5th in rushing yards. So his arrival wouldnt necessary mean bad news for Tyrod Taylor. If anything, it might boost his career if the Bills are able to resign him to a cap-friendlier deal.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Reading his Wikipedia page, Shanahan is quoted as saying,

I studied every potential Xs and Os play and issue possible. I spent my whole life working on that. My goal was that any question a player could have about anything on the field, I'd be able to answer it.

He is a student of the game having grown up around the most successful offensive mind in football, and his preparation and attention to detail rivals the best.

A great MMQB piece outlines how he has developed and grown over the years as an OC from Peter King:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/06/

Another great piece by the Washington Post outlines how his time in Washington made him ready for a HC opportunity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/01/the-worst-period-in-kyle-shanahans-career-may-have-been-the-best-thing-for-it/?utm_term=.baea9f111b60

Another example of his attention to detail was his departure from Cleveland. When he was fed up with the dysfunction of their front office shoving Johnny Manziel down his throat and the different voices telling him what to do between ownership, the GM, and Pettine; Shanahan wrote up a 32-point presentation as to why Mike Pettine should let him out of his contract. Who does that?

Although Pettine later admitted he didnt need 32 points to know when a coach doesnt want to be around, the presentation was presented to ownership and it worked. He was able to escape the Browns and take the OC job in Atlanta without the Falcons having to give up any compensation to hire him for the same position. Unheard of.

Here is the piece:

http://www.businessinsider.com/kyle-shanahan-presentation-2015-2

It seems the move worked out pretty well for him.

DEFENSE

The biggest question is how the defensive side of the ball will look with Kyle as HC. I look back to his dad, who even while running the greatest offense in the NFL in his prime, Mike Shanahans defenses ranked in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed in eight of his fourteen seasons, five of which were in the top 5. He ranked top 10 in passing yards allowed in seven of those seasons. Mike knew the importance of defense, and being such a detail oriented person himself, Im very confident that Kyle will find a defensive mind that can provide similar success.

OVERALL

At 37 Kyle Shanahan has been calling plays for almost a decade. This is a guy who can come to Buffalo with a lifetime full of football knowledge and coach for 20-25 years. Unlike a Coughlin who at 70 has only a handful of years left in the league.

Great football minds like Belichick dont come around very often. But they usually derive from coaches who started very early in the game and were top notch in preparation and attention to detail. Although by no means am I currently ranking Kyle Shanahan with Bill Belichick, its young coaches like that who have the best chance of becoming the best the game has to offer as a new wave of young HCs hit the league.

If Im Buffalo, I jump at youth, energy, experience, attention to detail, result-proven success, along with lineage; and name Kyle Shanahan our new HC.

If Buffalo jumps on him, Shannon will yell rape. The Bills know they have no chance that's why he's not even being considered.

It makes no sense what so ever that they aren't all over this guy & wining & dining him, but hey our team is the Buffalo Bills !!

Did you watch Whaley's press conference?

What a difference a year makes.

Last year Shannahan passively aggressively alienated Roddy White. Matt Ryan didn't have anything bad to say about Shanny but also didn't have much nice to say. Shanny was viewed by many as the single biggest reason why the Falcons went 6-10 last year. Now everything is working great, mostly because Matt Ryan has figured out the O and has tremendous play makers. Ryan is also a top 5 QB who is not relying on Julio Jones to bail him out as much.

I listened to a lot of these Nationa media guys doing interviews on local sports talk about how Shanny was living off the coat tails of his dad. That in the NFL circles Shanny was seen as an arrogant guy .

I don't think Shanny is going to be what you want in Buffalo.

He is pretty much the #1 sought after HC by everyone.

No chance in hell he comes to Buffalo.

Not San Diego?

But I agree, Shanahan can pick his slot and Denver if he can get it would be a good first choice.

San Francisco might be intriguing - they have high draft picks, and with the GM out the door, he might be able to customize the reporting structure.

The Rams and Jaguars believe they have QBs.

It's not Lynn's job to lose. That bogus just like Marrone is the hot HC candidate.

I would be fine with Shanahan. But, IMO I don't think he would come here.

I also find it odd we haven't asked to interview him suggesting to me that Whaley doesn't want him or he doesn't want to come here.

Totally agree, propaganda

I don't think it is obvious. Whaley helped get both HCs players they wanted for their systems and they weren't HCs he picked.

Let's see what Whaley does with his guy as HC. And, I would be shocked if that's Lynn.

Let's see what happens when HC and GM have the same beliefs.

But, for sure IMO, not obvious Whaley doesn't work well with others or wants a yes man.

Shanahan interviewed for the HC gig two years ago. Did he not impress? That might be your answer to why he is not being approached this time around if it holds to form throughout the process.

I didn't say the roster was poor......there has been plenty of talent......but it would be foolish to say that it isn't in decline.

They've had at least wildcard level talent since the end of Chan's era and the talent level peaked in 2015.

We are in 100% agreement on this. The past 5 seasons the Bills have had playoff level talent. The one season in that run when I can legitimately excuse them not making a run was 2013 when they were starting a rookie Quarterback. The other years they had talent to go better than

2012: 6-10

2014: 9-7

2015: 8-8

2016: 7-9

2015 was their best shot against a piss poor schedule and they didn't get it done. I think my post on the cap situation yesterday demonstrated that even if they let one of Gilmore or Tyrod go (starters at premium positions) they are going to struggle to retain all of their depth guys. If they keep both of those they are probably down to a straigh choice between keeping a non priority position starter (Z.Brown) or a handful of low price depth contributors (Hunter, Felton, Tate).

Doug needs some more inspired street FAs and to find some later round contributors in the draft (whilst hoping JWill and Seymour build on some of their early promise and that Listenbee is available to make some sort of contribution as a Goodwin replacement). Because if he doesn't we are going to have a thin roster in 2017.

Lineage aside, I believe Kyle Shanahan would be the perfect choice for the Bills organization moving forward as their next Head Coach. Here are my reasons why:

TRACK RECORD

Its not often that you have a shot at hiring the OC of the highest scoring offense in football. This season Shanahan is 1st with 502 points scored and 2nd in total yards. Thats 65 points higher than the 2nd leading scorer, the Saints. Their 33.5 average per game is 4 points more than the Saints. In 9 NFL seasons as OC, his offense has been in the top 10 six of those seasons, with four finishing in the top 5.

Although he is a pass-happy coordinator, that wouldnt necessarily spell bad news for LeSean McCoy. The Falcons are ranked 7th in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing TDs this year. Devonta Freeman only has 14 less carries than Shady and has the exact same amount of receptions. So you wont see Shady pouting about not being used. The Falcons are also 6th in rushing 1st downs and 4th in runs of 20+ yards or more. So there isnt a huge drop-off there. Shanahans offense takes care of the ball only having lost 3 fumbles all year, tied for 4th. In contrast, the Bills have lost 10, ranking them 28th.

Shanahan has also been successful with a running QB as well. In Robert Griffins rookie year 2012, the Redskins offense ranked 1st in rushing yards and 2nd in rushing TDs. They also finished 4th in total points and 5th in total yards. Washingtons 2013 campaign of 3-13 was due a porous defense and RGIII not being in fully healthy. Redskins still finished 9th in total yards and 5th in rushing yards. So his arrival wouldnt necessary mean bad news for Tyrod Taylor. If anything, it might boost his career if the Bills are able to resign him to a cap-friendlier deal.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Reading his Wikipedia page, Shanahan is quoted as saying,

I studied every potential Xs and Os play and issue possible. I spent my whole life working on that. My goal was that any question a player could have about anything on the field, I'd be able to answer it.

He is a student of the game having grown up around the most successful offensive mind in football, and his preparation and attention to detail rivals the best.

A great MMQB piece outlines how he has developed and grown over the years as an OC from Peter King:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/06/

Another great piece by the Washington Post outlines how his time in Washington made him ready for a HC opportunity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/01/the-worst-period-in-kyle-shanahans-career-may-have-been-the-best-thing-for-it/?utm_term=.baea9f111b60

Another example of his attention to detail was his departure from Cleveland. When he was fed up with the dysfunction of their front office shoving Johnny Manziel down his throat and the different voices telling him what to do between ownership, the GM, and Pettine; Shanahan wrote up a 32-point presentation as to why Mike Pettine should let him out of his contract. Who does that?

Although Pettine later admitted he didnt need 32 points to know when a coach doesnt want to be around, the presentation was presented to ownership and it worked. He was able to escape the Browns and take the OC job in Atlanta without the Falcons having to give up any compensation to hire him for the same position. Unheard of.

Here is the piece:

http://www.businessinsider.com/kyle-shanahan-presentation-2015-2

It seems the move worked out pretty well for him.

DEFENSE

The biggest question is how the defensive side of the ball will look with Kyle as HC. I look back to his dad, who even while running the greatest offense in the NFL in his prime, Mike Shanahans defenses ranked in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed in eight of his fourteen seasons, five of which were in the top 5. He ranked top 10 in passing yards allowed in seven of those seasons. Mike knew the importance of defense, and being such a detail oriented person himself, Im very confident that Kyle will find a defensive mind that can provide similar success.

OVERALL

At 37 Kyle Shanahan has been calling plays for almost a decade. This is a guy who can come to Buffalo with a lifetime full of football knowledge and coach for 20-25 years. Unlike a Coughlin who at 70 has only a handful of years left in the league.

Great football minds like Belichick dont come around very often. But they usually derive from coaches who started very early in the game and were top notch in preparation and attention to detail. Although by no means am I currently ranking Kyle Shanahan with Bill Belichick, its young coaches like that who have the best chance of becoming the best the game has to offer as a new wave of young HCs hit the league.

If Im Buffalo, I jump at youth, energy, experience, attention to detail, result-proven success, along with lineage; and name Kyle Shanahan our new HC.

You had me at "Kyle Shanahan for Head Coach".