Kyle Shanahan for Head Coach. Here is why...

dezertbill

I've long felt that Kyle Shanahan was a good offensive mind.

I have no idea if he'll be a good HC, but he'd be on my list of interviewees alongside Jim Bob Cooter.

Get one of them in here alongside Gus Bradley as DC and you've got the makings of an innovative, experienced staff.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was said the Pegulas really liked Kyle Shanahan the first time around but wanted to go with an experienced coach because they felt the team was close.

I know I've said I like him, he's had success. Maybe they chose to go with him second time around. Somehow they keep Lynn as OC and bring in Bradley.

Shanahan will have many interview opportunities. The Bills will have to sell the job to Kyle Shanahan. Pegula has the money so that's not an issue anymore but the Bills are so dysfunctional. They will have to demonstrate that they got their act together. Shanahan is pretty experienced and he is young. He's my top choice.

Shanahan will have many interview opportunities. The Bills will have to sell the job to Kyle Shanahan. Pegula has the money so that's not an issue anymore but the Bills are so dysfunctional. They will have to demonstrate that they got their act together. Shanahan is pretty experienced and he is young. He's my top choice.

As of right now he will have 3

Rams - with a forced QB in Goff. So does he like Goff

Jags - reports are ownership loves Bortles so again another forced QB does he like Bortles

Bills - Taylor BUT Bills can move on from him if the New HC wants to pick HIS QB. And a guy like Shanny young might just want a job with QB flexibility and an elite RB and really a ready made 4-3 defense of you look At it.

Edited by MAJBobby

As of right now he will have 3

Rams - with a forced QB in Goff. So does he like Goff

Jags - reports are ownership loves Bortles so again another forced QB does he like Bortles

Bills - Taylor BUT Bills can move on from him if the New HC wants to pick HIS QB. And a guy like Shanny young might just want a job with QB flexibility and an elite RB and really a ready made 4-3 defense of you look At it.

He may also feel that Tyrod is serviceable while he searches for his QB. If I recall correctly he played a big part in designing that RG3 Rookie of the Year offense, so this style isn't exactly foreign to him.

He may also feel that Tyrod is serviceable while he searches for his QB. If I recall correctly he played a big part in designing that RG3 Rookie of the Year offense, so this style isn't exactly foreign to him.

Agree point being as of right now not being married to a QB is intriguing for an Offensive minded person is all cause he will have his say Edited by MAJBobby

I'd tread lightly with Kyle Shanahan.

I'd certainly hope the Bills do a deep dig if they are considering him.

Shanahan was on the verge of being run out of Atlanta because the Atlanta offense was so bad last year.

He also has some maturity issues.

Im really torn on him. The Atlanta offense is very good. But just last year Shanny had that offense in the crapper.

How much of Shanny is due to Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Freeman?

I'd tread lightly with Kyle Shanahan.

I'd certainly hope the Bills do a deep dig if they are considering him.

Shanahan was on the verge of being run out of Atlanta because the Atlanta offense was so bad last year.

He also has some maturity issues.

Im really torn on him. The Atlanta offense is very good. But just last year Shanny had that offense in the crapper.

How much of Shanny is due to Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Freeman?

Have you seen what numbers the Falcons put up without Julio? How many touchdowns does he have this year? Coleman has been super productive in his role with Freeman. The emergence of Gabriel...Ryan has thrown touchdowns to 13 different receivers this season that's an NFL record.

Shanahan may have personality issues I don't know about them, he does not have problems scoring points though.

I've long felt that Kyle Shanahan was a good offensive mind.

I have no idea if he'll be a good HC, but he'd be on my list of interviewees alongside Jim Bob Cooter.

Get one of them in here alongside Gus Bradley as DC and you've got the makings of an innovative, experienced staff.

I could get behind either move 100%. Shanahan deserves the opportunity. Bradley would seem to be the best option on D. Who else? Pettine-no thanks can't stop the run.

I'd love to see if they were interested Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, and Anthony Lynn get a fair chance to fully interview them. If you think about the current three openings we are probably ranked #1 in talent, and Jax second. I'm open to other ideas, but it also solves the 5.5 mil already given out for three years as Coordinators never get as much as big name guys do, but get the big contract on the second contract when they bring us the playoffs.

OP - excellent, well-written post. I am agreement with everything you said. I'm especially intrigued at the possibility of finding a young HC that would stay for a long time in Buffalo. The teams with multi-year success have continuity at the HC level. Look at Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, Giants (with Coughlin), Chiefs, Colts, Bengals. Each team in the playoffs most of the years, but not panic when they don't. Who wouldn't trade for the Bengals performances under Lewis? Playoff almost every year. Sure one-and-done, but it's still playoffs and wins in the regular season. Let's get some one that'll turn it around and stick with them. Unfortunately, Rex was not the answer. His defense is either too antiqued or too complex. At the end of the day, if you're strength is defense and you can't stop anyone, then a change is needed. I like the Shanahan for HC idea. Let's get-r-done!!!

It was said the Pegulas really liked Kyle Shanahan the first time around but wanted to go with an experienced coach because they felt the team was close.

I know I've said I like him, he's had success. Maybe they chose to go with him second time around. Somehow they keep Lynn as OC and bring in Bradley.

Shanahan wouldn't keep Lynn

He did a pretty good job with Hoyer in Cleveland they were 7-6 when the FO dictated he be benched for Manziel and that played a part in Shanahan leaving.

At the risk of nitpicking the 'meh' QB, wouldn't you say that Hoyer is a bit more of a classic passer? Not a good passer, but a stand in the pocket-read-read kind of guy?

If you look at his gamelogs for 2014, he had some games where he threw >300 yds and others where the D kinda stifled the pass and he was awful. When the FO said "play Manziel", he'd had 3 straight awful games.

Anyway, I'm not anti-Shanahan and the OP made a great case for him, that's just my concern is how would he do with a crap QB?

My own personal feeling is that I'd like to see a guy that would bring in a real OC and a real DC and dedicate himself to running the overall show and holding all 3 aspects of the game accountable.

Would Shanahan be that guy? Or would he be finger-in-the-pie de-facto OC?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I'd be cool with that...

The crazy thing about Atlanta is they've played the hardest defensive schedule according to Pro Football Outsiders(Bills are 7th hardest) and are just lighting people up like Christmas trees...

Plus, Atlanta with 502 points scored so far this year and the next team nearest that is NO with 437! Yowsa!

Matt Ryan having an MVP season and the Falcon playcalling feeding the ball to the playmakers. It just doesn't get any better!