Kyle Shanahan for Head Coach. Here is why...

dezertbill

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be stunned if Shanahan took the Bills job.

Surprised if he even gave an interview.

Whaley is a deterrent........he is going to be on a short leash and no hot commodity HC is going to want to team up with him.

My guess is Lynn gets the job somewhat by default.

But he could pull a Donahoe and hire a questionably qualified chronie from Pittsburgh.

Edited by #BADOL

I cringe every time someone posts something like this...especially the second part. I will be really pissed if the interview search is limited to the boundaries of OBD.

The situation with regard to the ability to acquire coaches has improved with Ralph being gone.

But it's still not a good organization and they are in a competitive limbo.........too old to tear down without a complete collapse and tied to a GM that isn't exactly universally admired around the league.

Whaley sinks or swims next year so he really should take a page out of a GOOD COACHES playbook and do the best you can with what you've got.

I don't feel bad for Doug Whaley........if he was THAT against Rex he should have made a stand.

His failure is part of DW track record like it or not.

The situation with regard to the ability to acquire coaches has improved with Ralph being gone.

But it's still not a good organization and they are in a competitive limbo.........too old to tear down without a complete collapse and tied to a GM that isn't exactly universally admired around the league.

Whaley sinks or swims next year so he really should take a page out of a GOOD COACHES playbook and do the best you can with what you've got.

I don't feel bad for Doug Whaley........if he was THAT against Rex he should have made a stand.

His failure is part of DW track record like it or not.

I agree with most of this--I do think that, in general, he does an adequate job with regard to player personnel though

Personally I think TT is a decent QB. Maybe with KS , TT would get better with more pieces around him.

Agreed. What does Rex really know about developing QB's, really? Kyle would be a good choice as long as he gets the right DC. And it would be great if he kept Lynn as OC.

I could see us at 11-5 with an upgraded defensive coaching staff.

I agree with most of this--I do think that, in general, he does an adequate job with regard to player personnel though

Yes I think he is right in the middle.

They could do better and they could do worse.

Playoffs should be his goal next year........not hoping to find a QB.

He needs to build up some positive career momentum.

If he gets the team into the playoffs next year and they start to develop an identity he has a chance to turn it around and become an admired GM.

He is at the crossroads Donahoe was at in year 2 with Mularkey......ditch the system QB that nearly got you to the playoffs or go with an unproven........but he doesn't have the goodwill TD had built up around the league.

I would add this........the foundation for what Dallas is now actually began with Bill Parcells taking a chance on the jettisoned Drew Bledsoe to bring the Boy's out of the crapper.

They've been up and down since but it brought stability and legitimacy to the organization and Tony Romo was able to develop WITHIN a sound NFL system and become a decade plus QB.

That freed up draft assets and lo and behold better football decisions and then things started FALLING TO THEM.

The Bills have the makings of a cocoon of an offense here......a place where a young QB could develop.

But it's not ready yet, nor do I see a prospect ready to take the reins if it were.

Edited by #BADOL

I'd be stunned if Shanahan took the Bills job.

Surprised if he even gave an interview.

Whaley is a deterrent........he is going to be on a short leash and no hot commodity HC is going to want to team up with him.

My guess is Lynn gets the job somewhat by default.

But he could pull a Donahoe and hire a questionably qualified chronie from Pittsburgh.

I would be stunned too. I doubt Whaley will bring in someone that might challenge him, so Lynn has to be the favorite.

Shanahan would seem to be a logical choice for LA.

I really want the Bills to get an offensive head coach. As bad as the defense played, they invested the top 3 picks to the defense, and didn't have Lawson for much of the season or camp, and Ragland at all. They need Safety help...get a decent Free Agent.

I want another WR, and another high pick O-lineman...and a coach with a history of developing QB's. They have to construct an offense ready for whoever the next 'franchise" QB will be. Dak Prescott would have sucked with these Bills.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I would be stunned too. I doubt Whaley will bring in someone that might challenge him, so Lynn has to be the favorite.

Shanahan would seem to be a logical choice for LA.

I really want the Bills to get an offensive head coach. As bad as the defense played, they invested the top 3 picks to the defense, and didn't have Lawson for much of the season or camp, and Ragland at all. They need Safety help...get a decent Free Agent.

I want another WR, and another high pick O-lineman...and a coach with a history of developing QB's. They have to construct an offense ready for whoever the next 'franchise" QB will be. Dak Prescott would have sucked with these Bills.

I'd put Lynn as the most likely but I don't know if he likes Lynn.

#2 guess would be somebody like Keith Butler..........who has zero chance of getting a HC job elsewhere........has had up and down years as a coordinator.......but he's a Steeler!

I'd put Lynn as the most likely but I don't know if he likes Lynn.

#2 guess would be somebody like Keith Butler..........who has zero chance of getting a HC job elsewhere........has had up and down years as a coordinator.......but he's a Steeler!

Yeah, I can see that.

What do people think of Dabo Swinney? I have seen a couple mentions of him, but don't know if he is considered a candidate for ANY NFL jobs.

FWIW, Kyle Shanahan had big problems with RGIII. The first signs of discontent with him came from Kyle publicly calling him out in the media. Kyle requires a quarterback that runs his system precisely without waiver. He would take one look at the game film where Tyrod misses wide open receivers and Tyrod would be gone in a New York second.

With the experience of his father guiding him, there is no way Kyle would come to the Buffalo Bills. His father would advise otherwise.

I'm normally a giant hater of daddy's boys' coaches. They get jobs they don't deserve and have hand outs their whole life (see Andy Reid's son).

That said, I believe Shananhan has paid his dues. He seems willing to go to wherever to work and has worked with many different qbs. I wanted to know him because he had Matt Ryan but Ryan was stuck in a rut for a while there.

I think we need an offensive guy and KS is moving up my list. I always worry about a 1st time coach holding players accountable though.

FWIW, Kyle Shanahan had big problems with RGIII. The first signs of discontent with him came from Kyle publicly calling him out in the media. Kyle requires a quarterback that runs his system precisely without waiver. He would take one look at the game film where Tyrod misses wide open receivers and Tyrod would be gone in a New York second.

With the experience of his father guiding him, there is no way Kyle would come to the Buffalo Bills. His father would advise otherwise.

I think Tyrod is already done here anyway.

I doubt Shanahan has much interest in coming here either. But I would try to find out.

it was actually brian schottenheimer who turned down the interview.. marty's kid

Yep.

Agreed.

As a Bills fan stuck in Denver, trust me on this, you want no part in Silver Spoon Boy. He quit on his high school team and it goes on from there. Every time he does not get his way he throws a hissy fit. This guy does not fit the blue collar type coach that will succeed in Buffalo. He needs to be in a Rich town.

I'm normally a giant hater of daddy's boys' coaches. They get jobs they don't deserve and have hand outs their whole life (see Andy Reid's son).

That said, I believe Shananhan has paid his dues. He seems willing to go to wherever to work and has worked with many different qbs. I wanted to know him because he had Matt Ryan but Ryan was stuck in a rut for a while there.

I think we need an offensive guy and KS is moving up my list. I always worry about a 1st time coach holding players accountable though.

You have daddy issues, period.

The list of great coaches who were sons of coaches and got a big head start in the process as a result is LONG.