How are the Chiefs a playoff team?

somnus00

I know stats aren't everything (or rather, wins are the only stat that matters). But the Chiefs are 23rd in total offense, and 28th in total defense. How the hell are they 10 - 4 right now. They were a last second field goal away from being 11 - 3.

By contrast, the Bills are 18th and 15th respectively. Based on these rankings, you'd expect the Bills to be right around the middle of the pack as far as overall record.

They have a much better coaching staff that does what they can to win each week. That also includes preparing for 16 games. It also includes using the players to their abilities instead of teaching folks a 1980's system that is outdated.

That's a start...

I know stats aren't everything (or rather, wins are the only stat that matters). But the Chiefs are 23rd in total offense, and 28th in total defense. How the hell are they 10 - 4 right now. They were a last second field goal away from being 11 - 3.

By contrast, the Bills are 18th and 15th respectively. Based on these rankings, you'd expect the Bills to be right around the middle of the pack as far as overall record.

Their defense in the red zone is elite. Ours is not. They dont turn over the ball on offense and lead the league in takeaways. They dont commit stupid penalties.

Chiefs are exactly like us, except they limit mistakes and get some good luck. Just look at the last two times we played them; some guy falls down and gets a 108-yard pick 6? Bryce Brown fumbles the ball as he is going untouched across the goal line?

And sprinkle in a little of that too.

They get quite a few turnovers and also get big plays from their Special Teams.

If we played Denver, Oakland, San Diego two times each we'd probably be 3-3 at best.

The Bills find ways to lose games 50/50 games. Also losing at home is not an option. Good teams, playoff teams go 6-2, 7-1, 8-0 at home. A playoff team can go 5-3 but would need to be a decent road team.

Good teams find a way to win a road game at the Raiders, Dolphins, Seahawks, and Jets. The most winnable game there was in my opinion the Raiders game. A game in which the Defense collapsed and squandered a 25-9 lead. You can't blow leads and expect to be a playoff team.

Edited by Dr.Sack

Special teams, turnovers, and some pretty good luck. They won a couple games on kickoff returns or PAT returns or some other nonsense. I don't think they are a playoff team, and I think they will be once again blown out in the playoffs.

Andy Reid is a great regular season coach. Just like Dungy and Cowher. But they all suck in the playoffs. TO almost willed Reid and puking McNabb to a championship. The refs gave Cowher his only SuperBowl win. Reid blew a 28 point lead in the third quarter against the Colts.

I would probably take any of the three over Rex right now and his tragically flawed defense.

As far as a I recall, they completed manhandled Houston on the road in the playoffs last year and then went to Foxboro and played the Pats pretty tough. I remember it being a decent game. They are a tough team because as someone else said, they usually don't beat themselves and they seem to have solid game plans on offense and defense.

Edited by YoloinOhio

They have a very big horseshoe up their rear ends. We managed to give the game away against them the last 3 meetings. Its too bad that we didn't play them again this year so we could choke away another game!

Did you see the stat about winning 20 of 24? I personally wouldn't chalk that up to luck.

If you want to argue they aren't built for a deep playoff run, different story.

Did you see the stat about winning 20 of 24? I personally wouldn't chalk that up to luck.

Not very many teams are built for a deep playoff run, it's just the way it is. I laugh when KC comes up on this board because it seems that so many people hate them for accomplishing what Rex and the Bills can, find ways to win games they probably shouldn't win and make the playoffs. If the Bills had hired Reid instead of Marrone the Bills probably would have made the playoffs a couple of times. Can't hate KC for doing it, be pissed at the Bills for consistently failing.

if you took a look at the majority of those wins, you would see where the luck comes into it, they aren't winning because they were soundly beating people

I actually made up my mind to root for the chiefs this post season. They're everything the bills shouldve and could've been

I'll make the Titans my second team. We bought a place there for our son and grandson. Loved the game experience there last year. Get up there a lot (about 4 hour trip) and I hope they get it together. But.........GO BILLS!

As far as a I recall, they completed manhandled Houston on the road in the playoffs last year and then went to Foxboro and played the Pats pretty tough. I remember it being a decent game. They are a tough team because as someone else said, they usually don't beat themselves and they seem to have solid game plans on offense and defense.

that's usually the sign of a well coached team. They may not win it all, but they get where they do and are a good team because they are well coached and prepared team

Bills have been very streaky. Rex has limited vision and his defense was made when NFL players could brain each other. Rex just doesn't see the big picture and his team is very sloppy.

Penalties are big. Also a lot of the points and defensive plays come when the game is over. Steelers are up big, game ends 27-20. It should have been 50-3.

Other side too is Bills are not the far away from the Cheif's record. Meltdown against Oakland doesn't happen, and Aaron Williams is still around, they are there.

I do see what Rex is doing. Really good defenses hate to play the Bills. Safety and a LB that can run, and defense is a world beater. I really hope they keep it together, and get leadership that is mean and pushes them over, from coaching or locker room.

They might get more red zone turnovers than any team in football...

teams will move the ball up and down the field on them, but when they get in the redzone they become ball hawks...

even going back to the last 2 games they played here...99 yard INT return for a TD when we were threatening to take the game by the throat, followed by a hit and fumble return for a TD around our 10 yard ine...

then Bryce Brown fumbles going into the endzone at the 1 yard line the following year...

they always seem to come up with a defensive play when they need it...its honestly really annoying...

if you took a look at the majority of those wins, you would see where the luck comes into it, they aren't winning because they were soundly beating people

Who cares if they were soundly beating people? Luck runs out, 20 out of 24 is a trend, not luck.

Who cares if they were soundly beating people? Luck runs out, 20 out of 24 is a trend, not luck.

The part where it is luck, and good special teams. Come on, who scores a 2 pt INT runback on a 2 pt conversion attempt to win the game? No one ever has. Except them.

Even their newspaper wrote an article about their improbable wins.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article118862983.html

This isn't hating on them, it is just saying that is how you win when you have poorly ranked offense and defense.

I must have mistaken them for the Texans as I thought they got blown out quite a bit in the playoffs. Only recent blowing was the 38-10 lead over the Colts in 2013.

Edited by What a Tuel

The Chiefs seem to do all the little things that add up to winning a couple more of those close games that Bills fans end up lamenting by the end of the season. See Baltimore week 1, Jets week 2,.....Beat the teams you're supposed to, win your difficult home games, and do well against division opponents and you should be right in the playoffs picture.