Your Leveon Bell....

CommonCents

I saw 7 blockers going against a 6-man front.

Easy pickens for ANY back.

Most of the day, he wasn't touched until he was 5 yards passed the LOS.

Bills were passive and playing on their heels most of the game. You'd think if Rex was going to go out he'd go out on his shield.

I don't know, most of the day, I saw him slide off of our defense like he was coated in grease or something. No one wanted to wrap him up. Arm here, arm there, shoulder to try to knock him down, but no wrapping.

Noticed that too. The safeties were playing so high. Made no sense when it was very clear all Pittsburgh was trying to do was run

Noticed that too. The safeties were playing so high. Made no sense when it was very clear all Pittsburgh was trying to do was run

It was part of the whole thing: they opened by passing for 150 yards in the first 20 minutes of game time, so Buffalo went to a 2-down-lineman formation. Ben noticed it quickly and checked to a run every time we lined up that way, and 230+ yards later we were done.

It was part of the whole thing: they opened by passing for 150 yards in the first 20 minutes of game time, so Buffalo went to a 2-down-lineman formation. Ben noticed it quickly and checked to a run every time we lined up that way, and 230+ yards later we were done.

And that's been the theme all year. The Jets game exposed that we don't have the CB talent to play Rex's man to man vs the other team's starting wideouts. Fitzy/Marshall/Decker absolutely destroyed Gilmore and Darby. Ever since, it's been a game of whack a mole. Rex plays 2 safeties deep, we stop the big pass plays but we get killed in the running game. Rex puts 8 in the box, we get burned on deep passes (and not just by elite QBs/WRs). Play the corners man to man and we get pressure on the QB, making a journeyman hard worker like Lorenzo Alexander look like an elite edge rusher. Play 2 deep and the pressure disappears - how many sacks do Hughes and Alexander have lately? We hear a lot of griping about how Rex "ruined" an incredibly talented Top 5 defense. I disagree. He certainly hasn't helped. But the primary lesson of this season is that the defensive talent just isn't that good. Gilmore and Darby aren't bad corners, but they can't cover even good (not elite) receivers man to man for a whole game without getting torched. Hughes and Alexander (and maybe Shaq Lawson; it's too soon to tell) aren't bad pass rushers, but they're not good enough to get consistent pressure on the QB when Rex only rushes 4. Dareus/Kyle/Washington are fine in the middle of the D line in the abstract, but they aren't good enough to dominate a decent O line and stop a running game without 7 or 8 in the box. If our linebackers were talented enough we'd maybe be able to stop a running game without loading the box. They're not, even with Rex turning to alleged run stuffer Spikes for desperately needed help. Bottom line: we (Bills coaching staff and management, AND is fans) overrated our defensive talent, and unfortunately locked in one of the non-elite performers (Dareus) to an elite long term contract. Let's not make the same mistake with Gilmore. Folks, it's about the talent more than the coaching. That means there's no quick fix like firing Rex and Rob.

Echoes of "43 is the Mike".