Gilmore needs to go

Hogan was clearly Gilmore's man. OK, I get it. He was supposed to get deep safety "help" from Meeks. So both propositions are correct: (1) Hogan beat Gilmore deep, and it wasn't even close; (2) it might not have mattered if Meeks was where he was supposed to be.

But really ... If Gilmore can't cover the Pats 5th best receiver (Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and now Bennett) one on one, why on earth would anyone consider paying him "shutdown corner" money? I guess I'm glad he was exposed before they inked him to a big deal.

Based on postgame interviews, I don't know if that is the case. Gilmore expected help, but he may have been the one who did not get the call that he had Hogan one on one.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PFF

The 10 worst performances from Sunday's Week 8 NFL action: http://bit.ly/2eTYzQi

CwGttbyWcAAxmv9.jpg
3. Stephon Gilmore, CB, Buffalo Bills

Gilmore hasn’t been anything like the player we saw over the past couple of seasons this year. In the Bills loss to the Patriots he had one of his worst games of a bad season, coughing up 105 yards and a touchdown on just four catches. Tom Brady’s passer rating when throwing at Gilmore was a perfect 158.3, and Gilmore was left trailing in the wake of players who are athletically inferior to him.

The ironic thing is, in saving himself for his next contract, he may be costing himself $$. Yes he'll still get paid handsomely, but perhaps not as much as he could've gotten had he actually applied himself this season.

Anyhow I rarely say that I "hate" a Bills player but I truly despise Gilmore.

I can't believe he thinks he is that good. He says look at the film and that the film doesn't lie. I know this, my eyes don't lie. He has average cover ability and he is the least physical player on the entire defense. He gets pushed around and avoids tackles every week. He won't be a Bill next season. I highly doubt it.

He may have elite level talent whatever that means, but he puts himself before the team

He could have dove to stop Hogan and probably would have kept him out of the endzone. But instead he selfishly slowed up and complained. He's clearly worried about getting injured so he's not engaging in any contact this year.... When he was drafted, his physicality was what put him into first round talent.

This kind of person is not worth paying elite money to. He'll be gone after this year.

Hogan was always better than the Bills thought he was. He outplayed Woods last year but was stuck behind him on the depth chart, and couldn't move up. So the Pats offered the chance to be a starter on a great team and 12 million other reasons. He left with a chip on his shoulder and he joined the Pats with a smile on his face.

Gilmore is a good player. He's not a good enough player for the role Rex wants his corners to fill. Gilmore needs safety help particularly against tall, strong receivers. The problem in the Jets game was no safety help while Rex made sure he could stop the run (which he ended up not doing anyway, Forte got 100 yards) and Fitz having his annual early-season all-pro game, and the Jets big tall strong guys out-jumping Gilmore and the rest of the Bills DBs. After the Jets game, Rex went back to safeties playing safety instead of LB, and things got better. The Bills pass D has been pretty good generally, with Gilmore often the weak link, but Brady. Brady. Yesterday was going to happen regardless.

My real concern is, no good safeties left on the team. Graham is old and slow, Meeks is meek and slow, Duke is exposed now that team know that the Williams in the defensive backfield isn't Aaron. Without safety help the flaws in Gilmore's game will be exposed.

The thing is, it's too early to bail on the Bills season. They have a decent chance against Seattle, to win 10-7 or something, and the schedule gets easier after that. 10-6 is a stretch but still possible. It would be crazy to give up on a season where every other AFC team than NE has serious problems. 9-7 might do it. So don't trade Gilmore. Absolutely don't cut him. Maybe Rex is as smart as he thinks he is, and he can figure out a way to make lemonade out of lemons.

Gronk pushed off, like he always does. It was obvious. He pushed him out of the way, turned, and the ball was there.

This. That play and the one where Hightower tackled TT 10 yards out of the field of play with no penalty called. Seriously, the Pats don't need help.

Hogan TD was Gilmore's fault:

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/793191531888930816

Sal Capaccio @SalSports

Rex basically confirms it was Stephon Gilmore's "big mistake" on the Hogan TD.

But was it him not getting a coverage call? Honestly, I'm asking.

And what about the last time they destroyed us at home? Was that all Gilmore's fault?

But was it him not getting a coverage call? Honestly, I'm asking.

And what about the last time they destroyed us at home? Was that all Gilmore's fault?

It doesn't seem as though any amount of information will encourage you to feel differently about our coach or our players.

It doesn't seem as though any amount of information will encourage you to feel differently about our coach or our players.

I was pretty impressed by Rex's defense this year before yesterday. It doesn't change the fact last year was a huge disappointment.

Additionally, it seems as Rex overthinks thingns agaisnt NE. How many blown defensive assignments were their last year against him?

As much as some want to blame him, far more players were screwing up than Gilmore.

I was pretty impressed by Rex's defense this year before yesterday. It doesn't change the fact last year was a huge disappointment.

Additionally, it seems as Rex overthinks thingns agaisnt NE. How many blown defensive assignments were their last year against him?

As much as some want to blame him, far more players were screwing up than Gilmore.

You can't really read a ton into the defense when we play NE. Brady makes you pay for everything and then still takes more. I saw a stat on twitter (i'm at work and can't post it) that he is 16 for 16 with a 158 yards when he gets rid of the ball in under 2 seconds. Sorry you are not going to do much about that...at all.....

What I dont understand about our coverage scheme is why are there so many breakdowns? We have what I believe are 3 above average DBs at their positions, Gilmore, Darby, and NRC. We have a solid pass rush.

Keep it simple. Breaks downs in coverage are inexcusable.

Because Rex puts in new wrinkles for the NE game to "trick" Brady.

The crazy part is that we pressured Brady as much as I ever remember us doing. Breakdowns in coverage and penalties (plus a bad offense) killed us.

You can't really read a ton into the defense when we play NE. Brady makes you pay for everything and then still takes more. I saw a stat on twitter (i'm at work and can't post it) that he is 16 for 16 with a 158 yards when he gets rid of the ball in under 2 seconds. Sorry you are not going to do much about that...at all.....

Because Rex puts in new wrinkles for the NE game to "trick" Brady.

The crazy part is that we pressured Brady as much as I ever remember us doing. Breakdowns in coverage and penalties (plus a bad offense) killed us.

Brady was on fire yesterday. Just like Fitz was against NYJ.

Doesn't refute your point, and I don't altogether disagree with what you're saying. But when Brady is on fire...what the !@#$ are you going to do about it?

Let's be honest.

He was 8/8 for 149 yards and 2TD's on third down yesterday.

We'd be over the moon to get that kind of production from TT in a GAME.

Doesn't refute your point, and I don't altogether disagree with what you're saying. But when Brady is on fire...what the !@#$ are you going to do about it?

Let's be honest.

I don't disagree at all. With our offense, we were screwed once they got past 20 points. I do thin kRex overthinks things but we got owned by the best qb in NFL history. I can't kill him for that. Rex has done a great job with the defense this year.

What I dont understand about our coverage scheme is why are there so many breakdowns? We have what I believe are 3 above average DBs at their positions, Gilmore, Darby, and NRC. We have a solid pass rush.

Keep it simple. Breaks downs in coverage are inexcusable.

Because Rex's playbook requires a lot of switching on the fly based on pre-snap looks.

An entire coverage scheme can be altered by one guy flexing into the slot.

Communication isn't simply a buzz word; it's an essential component right up to snap.

It's unfortunate, but Aaron Williams was a key in terms of communicating responsibilities. There's a massive void there now.

Let's be honest.

Hands down he is the best QB I have ever seen and I feel disgusting for saying it. The only thing you can do is jam the WRs at the line and hopefully crush him in under 2 seconds and pray that a penalty or a rushing play stalls them out. After that you have no choice but to score a TD on every possession and play a perfect game. That is definitely not us.

Because Rex's playbook requires a lot of switching on the fly based on pre-snap looks.

An entire coverage scheme can be altered by one guy flexing into the slot.

Communication isn't simply a buzz word; it's an essential component right up to snap.

It's unfortunate, but Aaron Williams was a key in terms of communicating responsibilities. There's a massive void there now.

I know all that, I dont understand why? Its why Schwartz worked so well here, he had the talent play, not think. If you have the talent you dont need to scheme as much, Rex just cant figure that out, or maybe he doesn't want to step back and let the players play.

Let's be honest.

If you have the firepower, you get into a shootout. But most teams dont have that so....

You play ball control Offense and keep the ball away from him.(and score ofcourse)

On D, you depend on your front 4 to provide the pressure and cover gronk with LBers, no cheating by the safeties, stay with your assignments. This is just off the top of my head.

We are hobbled enough to not be able to do what I suggest on Offense but at least on D, there should have been different things done to limit the damage.

I wasn't impressed with the Buffalo defense against the Jets and 374 passing yards to Fitz. Almost 40 min of time of possession by the Jets to the Bills 20:48 as the Bills D couldn't get off the field.

Plus, 493 yards of total offense given up to the NY Jets in week 2!!

Come to think of it I wasn't very happy in giving Jay Ajayi 214 yards rushing either! The Dolphins averaging 6.8 yards per rush from those smelly fish in week 8.

Currently, the Bills defense is ranked 23rd in the NFL, 18th passing, 26th rushing. The Bills might lead the NFL in sacks with 26 (5 more than last years total after 8 games)

This team has more problems than Gilmore. This year's defense reminds me of 2013 and Mike Pettine.

Edited by Nihilarian

so you enjoyed watching that JETS game?

so you enjoyed watching that JETS game?

and the way Miami just pushed us around?

Currently, the Bills defense is ranked 23rd in the NFL, 18th passing, 26th rushing. The Bills might lead the NFL in sacks with 26 (5 more than last years total after 8 games)

This team has more problems than Gilmore. This year's defense reminds me of 2013 and Mike Pettine.

The 2013 Defense ended up being bad against the run but solid against the pass. The end-season rankings were run D # 28, pass D #4, Overall D #10

So, this D overall is well below the one in 2013.

I wasn't impressed with the Buffalo defense against the Jets and 374 passing yards to Fitz. Almost 40 min of time of possession by the Jets to the Bills 20:48 as the Bills D couldn't get off the field.

Plus, 493 yards of total offense given up to the NY Jets in week 2!!

Come to think of it I wasn't very happy in giving Jay Ajayi 214 yards rushing either! The Dolphins averaging 6.8 yards per rush from those smelly fish in week 8.

They're also 13th in points per game allowed, for the record

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He will get $12M plus (easily) and closer to an average of $15M a year. He hasn't played to that level IMO. There are some people here that I really respect though that feel differently. Gilmore is good to very good but not great (awful yesterday).

I don't think this happens. He has been absolutely awful this season. Other teams QB's are regularly targeting him on 3rd downs. First drive Hogan beats him on a 3rd and 10 for an out route. It wasn't like Brady made some great throw, Gilmore was 7 yards away when he caught it. Second drive and Chris Hogan is running by him wide open for a 53 yard TD, and whether it was his fault or not (his fault according to Rex) before the play is even over he is looking to place the blame on anyone but himself. He is a me guy, a primma donna, who wants to be paid like the best when he is above average.

He is a big corner, but he plays as soft as they come. He is not a lock down corner and despite his size he is a very poor tackler. Not only has he been beat frequently on 3rd downs in the passing game, he has missed many tackles on 3rd down runs, where he just wan't willing to take the pain of sticking his head in there and making a tackle. Not to mention, I'm sure his teammates love him with his blame game antics.

He may get a big contract from somebody, but if he does, then you know that GM is no better is no better than your average poster because anyone who would sign an above average (this season very bad) corner, who can't tackle and is getting beaten on the deep ball by Chris freaking Hogan, is obviously not watching tape and signing players on reputation.

As much as Gilmore sucked and others DBs struggled yesterday, is anyone going to give credit to Brady and his receivers for making plays? Christ, the other team has good players, too. On both of Brady's long strikes, he made great reads, and even better throws.

Tip your hat to the other guy when it's warranted. It's easier on the soul.