Eric Wood had high praise for Rams DT Aaron Donald

dayman

I've googled him since and am almost ashamed that I didn't know who he was, but the truth is I didn't. I don't know, maybe I've heard of him and simply forgot...I don't typically retain what little LA Rams information I receive (through only the most general of NFL media consumption).

Anyway, Eric basically said he's the best player in the NFL. He said he's like JJ Watt, but that JJ Watt blows assignments leaving holes wide open (when he's not blowing assignments getting tackles for losses or sacks), while Donald is every bit, if not more, disruptive but does so within the scheme, always getting back to his spot, and is going to be a superstar in the league for years to come. He said if Bills fans don't know who he is, they should find out.

The host commented that this guy (that I don't know) was the best rated player by PFF for all of last year (as a second year player), and that he is the highest rated player by PFF so far this year through 4 games.

So yea...Aaron Donald...apparently #99 for the Rams is going to be tough on Sunday...

Edited by dayman

10-3: ERIC WOOD ON WGR (18:21)

@WGR550

Eric Wood on WGR

Wood- "I tell you being in that locker room in Foxboro getting the win was a lot of fun. But it is right back to work."

Wood- "We were able to control the game. We possessed the ball a lot in the first half, and a lot of that has to do with the defense."

Wood- "All we heard through media is NE don't even need Tom Brady they are so good. Now keep that same perspective that we beat em."

Wood- "There may be an investigation into the pregame scuffle so I was told not to talk much about it on the show."

Wood- "Any kind of pregame hype like that might last for a series or two, but then you go back to the same player that you always were."

Wood- "I don't know exactly what happened, but I believe they were running through their drills and that's what instigated it."

Wood- "Deep down you're saying we need to get back to 2-2, and it feels good to be there."

Wood- "The Rams have a guy named Aaron Donald, if you don't know his name you will. He's going to be a star in the league."

Wood- "I have to familiarize myself with the Rams more than I do our normal opponents."

The Bills can't let him blow up the game the way they allowed Fletcher Cox to last season at Philadelphia.

I was thinking the same thing. Their front four is very dangerous, Donald (their Kyle Williams) and Quinn (their jerry Hughes) can take over the game if we're not careful, they can change the game or swing momentum in one play. Brockers (1st rounder) and Easley (ex Pat) are good depth players.

I think both offenses will struggle Sunday.

I've googled him since and am almost ashamed that I didn't know who he was, but the truth is I didn't. I don't know, maybe I've heard of him and simply forgot...I don't typically retain what little LA Rams information I receive (through only the most general of NFL media consumption).

Anyway, Eric basically said he's the best player in the NFL. He said he's like JJ Watt, but that JJ Watt blows assignments leaving holes wide open (when he's not blowing assignments getting tackles for losses or sacks), while Donald is every bit, if not more, disruptive but does so within the scheme, always getting back to his spot, and is going to be a superstar in the league for years to come. He said if Bills fans don't know who he is, they should find out.

The host commented that this guy (that I don't know) was the best rated player by PFF for all of last year (as a second year player), and that he is the highest rated player by PFF so far this year through 4 games.

So yea...Aaron Donald...apparently #99 for the Rams is going to be tough on Sunday...

Wow, surprised you didnt know who he was. But yes, he is probably the best DT in all of football and easily one of the 10 best overall players in the league. He's an absolute beast and freak.

I was thinking the same thing. Their front four is very dangerous, Donald (their Kyle Williams) and Quinn (their jerry Hughes) can take over the game if we're not careful, they can change the game or swing momentum in one play. Brockers (1st rounder) and Easley (ex Pat) are good depth players.

I think both offenses will struggle Sunday.

I wanted the Bills to draft Brockers and Donald so bad the years they came out in the draft.

I wanted the Bills to draft Brockers and Donald so bad the years they came out in the draft.

I remember wanting to draft Donald to eventually replace Kyle Williams. You can't never have enough fat guys that can play.

I remember wanting to draft Donald to eventually replace Kyle Williams. You can't never have enough fat guys that can play.

i also thought he reminded me of KW when he was in the draft. A little undersized but technically sound and so quick off the ball. Gonna be a tough day for the OL!

That's merely the product of the Rams being 8-8 perpetually. The media doesn't pay attention unless your team is from a big, east coast city or if you are in the Super Bowl. Donald is an outstanding player and has been for years.

I wanted Donald instead of Watkins. Donald is a wrecking ball. Dominant and low center of gravity. Imagine a front 3 of Williams, Dareus and Donald.

But, how would we move the ball consistently without a top-notch receiver? :)

More than one person a few years back was saying Donald was the best player in that draft. Rams got a steal.

I felt he was the best defensive player in the draft at the time.........but didn't really see a lot of what you are talking about. Maybe, but I just don't remember that, which was why I started a Donald thread to promote the idea to taking Donald despite the abundance of talent in the Bills front 4. I think he was looked at as a low ceiling/high floor prospect by most.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/04/aaron-donald-remembers-rex-ryans-words-well/

Yikes.... Maybe we can give him the Clubber Lang treatment? Don't even try to block him, just let him sprint through and push everything outside immediately.

I just can't see our interior holding him back or moving him out of a hole. And even then, if it takes two or three OL and/RBs, it leaves the rest of the DL in 1 on 1 matchups. Should be an interesting game plan. Just hope we don't try the ol' "line up and impose our will on them" folly this week. Acknowledge and adapt, Mr. Lynn. Please!

Great player--a real steal a few years back

He was talked about being #1 in the 2014 draft on some teams boards and looked to go in the top 5 easily. He fell to #13 I believe?

I thought the Bills were going to possibly grab him before we traded up for Sammy when we held the #8 pick. Possibly wasn't on our radar because we had Dareus. It goes back to that BPA theory? Just some thoughts. Fyi, I am not against the Sammy trade. But, it is going swimmingly, that's for sure.

Donald looks like a future HOF if he can stay healthy

He really is all that.

Going to over match Wood as he will any center.

Be very interested in how Buffalo plays him. Double and chip him ?

Play away from him?

Amazing when a team has to account for a player immediately when the ball is snapped.

Go Bills !

The Bills can't let him blow up the game the way they allowed Fletcher Cox to last season at Philadelphia.

Yeah that was a nightmare. Cox ruined that game for us.

These are the times you can really utilize a guy like Felton or Clay as an H back to pound on this guy and wear him down.

Also, my idea for naked cheerleaders as a distraction should be considered here. Hell, even if they wear paisties that might work, every man has his weakness, and its L.A. after all.......

Wow, surprised you didnt know who he was. But yes, he is probably the best DT in all of football and easily one of the 10 best overall players in the league. He's an absolute beast and freak.

Who would you rather have on the Bills, Watkins or Donald, another 1st round pick and a 4th? Just asking for the sake of discussion.

Btw Badol was on this board before the draft telling us how good Donald was. I mainly watch the SEC and had never heard of him.

Edited by Bill from NYC