Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big difference between good and bad teams is that bad teams weather the storm. Stability breeds good teams. Imagine if the Bills had 5 years with the same coach. Every player in one system. Every new player learning from all the other players who were well versed in the system. That’s what you get in Pittsburgh, Green Bay. (I don’t count Pats since it’s just been on coach but same applies there.) Stability is what they need more than anything. Rex is not maybe the best but he’s fine, if he can also keep things stable. But no indication of that so far. And Roman’s firing had to come from above Rex, which is a bad sign of meddling ownership.

I'm no Roman lover but whoever takes his place won't fix things in game 3.

The play they wasted a timeout on, with EJ trying to draw them off sides, was unforgiveable

This. The lack of urgency in everything they do offensively, the burning timeouts because plays aren't coming in, ....No adjustments on offense against Baltimore.. No real ingenuity whatsoever. Did you see Pittsburgh last Monday? 4th and 1 and they throw a back shoulder fade,,,,4th and inches New England throws a slant that no one expects. We do nothing.

To me this move looks like creating the illusion of 'doing something'. I haven't been trilled with Roman's play calling but the blame for last night falls squarely on the defensive side of the ball. Not a lot of creativity in showing different looks or blitzes while giving the same look play after play to Fitz and the Jets. The Ryan brothers called the Bills 'D' like July practice session for the Jets offense last night.

I wish we had hired someone else in the first place. Even last night the offense looked out of sync. Roman didnt seem to adjust his offense around his players strengths and limitations. It was so vanilla anyway. I really wish I had appreciated Marchibroda's offense more all those years ago. The last few O coordinators we have had have been so boring and unimaginative. Roman was just the latest in a long line of dull schemes and poor thinking on your feet!

I don't think he wore out his welcome so much as Harbaugh left. He was hitched to Harbaugh.

Here are the Niners offensive DVOA stats in his time there:

2011: 18th (they had finished 24th, 23rd, and 27th in the 3 previous seasons)

2012: 5th

2013: 8th

2014: 16th

And the Bills offense finished 9th in DVOA in 2015.

Objectively speaking, the offenses he coordinated have been above average throughout his career.

Most the flack he got in SF was for his play calling in the red zone, they were something like 30th, 15th, 15th, 29th in his four seasons. I looked it up a few days ago. That's with a talented group and an ideal RZ back in Gore.

As I said earlier I think last nights 4th and 1 debacle brought the word "embarrassing" into the discussion and when that's coming from the big dog your time is up. He is the scapegoat in which seems to be a last minute effort to right the season. My guess is we will see more news shortly on the player front.

The 400 some odd yards were given up by our defense. But 75% of those yards were given up with Gilmore and Darby right there. The scheme was fine. The execution was not. How is it Rex's fault when a guy just flat out loses his battle?

Because he thinks Gilmore and Darby are Revis and refused to give them safety help.

The 400 some odd yards were given up by our defense. But 75% of those yards were given up with Gilmore and Darby right there. The scheme was fine. The execution was not. How is it Rex's fault when a guy just flat out loses his battle?

When you can't cover their receivers, blitzing and safety help don't really mean much. We couldn't get a pass rush with just 4, and we couldn't cover if we blitzed. I don't know what kind of scheme you can come up with to stop inability to cover the opposing teams receivers.