Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wore out his welcome in both places and you could debate how well he actually did...plenty of stuff out their from 9ers fans that supports much of what we have seen. His redzone offense was bad on a talented 9ers team as well. Do you think he gets another OC job? Maybe he does your opinion on him seems to be higher than mine and that's fine. Just curious.

I don't think he wore out his welcome so much as Harbaugh left. He was hitched to Harbaugh.

Here are the Niners offensive DVOA stats in his time there:

2011: 18th (they had finished 24th, 23rd, and 27th in the 3 previous seasons)

2012: 5th

2013: 8th

2014: 16th

And the Bills offense finished 9th in DVOA in 2015.

Objectively speaking, the offenses he coordinated have been above average throughout his career.

This is an excellent move!!!

-Tyrod is better than he's playing right now.

-We can't even run the ball when that is supposed to be Roman's driving force.

-We can't perform the basic football function of hurrying up.

-We can't avoid 3 and outs, can't possess the ball when that's supposed to be our strength.

-He's never really coached a particularly good offense anyway, after like 6 years.

He had a couple good years with Alex Smith and Kaepernick but I think Harbaugh was a major influence on that. Overall, very mediocre coordinator

He is well regarded by many. He did a very good job in SF, and they nosedived after he left.

Yeah, he may have to take a lower-level position next year, but he won't be out of work unless he chooses to be. The league is fully aware of the caliber of people he had to deal with in Buffalo.

I have really hated the play calls for the last decade. We always seem to be throwing and running 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Yes! Every time. I always yell at the TV, when it is 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 2 to run the ball. Especially if you are on the plus side of the field. If you come up a yard or inches short then go for it

Really? The players did not perform I will give you that. But those plays calls were so predictable. It is pretty sad when a person like me who has played 1 year of football in my life can tell you what play the bills are going to run next

It's two games! Look at his record over the five seasons before this one. He's objectively above average.

This comes down to a number of things, but the horrible delay in play calls coming into the QB must be amongst them. Can there be no foresight and preparation on the sidelines for the next play? It seemed like a mad scramble.

I gotta say, this is one of the most transparent scapegoat firings in recent memory.

Honestly, had they done this after week 1, few would argue...but after letting Fitzpatrick hang 37 points on you...seems pretty obvious Rex is scared. I'd expect the blame game to continue as the losses pile on.

It has to be scapegoat firing - what possibly could have changed so much to fire your OC after just 2 weeks? This is unheard of.

Not excusing the CB play, but the defense held pretty well for being on the field for pretty much 15 straight minutes in the first quarter.

I think our offense's inability to sustain drives really killed the D last night. Jets had the ball for over 40 minutes and the D was exhausted by the time the 4th quarter rolled around. It's tough to get a breather when your offense either goes 3 and out or only gets one first down on a drive.

I have a feeling that Roman getting canned was part play calling ( that mangled 3rd and 1 , 4th and 1 thing was pretty awful)... and also part him not making adjustments. I think they probably asked him to change and adjust before the game.. and then they looked at the film today and probably saw he wasn't changing his MO at all so they canned him. I think he was just stuck in the rut of run, run, run.... then go deep ...and he wouldn't adjust to the quick game (slants, hitches etc... ) if the game situation called for it.

Even with that being said... I am somewhat conflicted about this firing. Roman did show that he could adjust in the Jets and Cowboys game to end the year last by going to the short quick game .. and Tyrod was starting to show he could handle that kind of strategy.

I don't think he wore out his welcome so much as Harbaugh left. He was hitched to Harbaugh.

Here are the Niners offensive DVOA stats in his time there:

2011: 18th (they had finished 24th, 23rd, and 27th in the 3 previous seasons)

2012: 5th

2013: 8th

2014: 16th

And the Bills offense finished 9th in DVOA in 2015.

Objectively speaking, the offenses he coordinated have been above average throughout his career.

No offense Dave but to me this is like point to the New Orleans offense and giving Marrone a lot of credit for it.

Guy has been in the league for 17 years... obviously that still can mean very little.

im just pointing out that good or bad, he has no tendencies on tape yet.

i do find it interesting that he was all position coach and getting HC not OC interviews. i always read that as a guy that doesnt have a playbook/scheme developed but is a leader of men type of head coach (ala marrone despite his OC experience under SP who obviously was the scheme guy)

@AdamSchefter

Buffalo Bills firing OC Greg Roman, per league sources. Roman was NFL's top paid OC.

@JasonLaCanfora

Can confirm ESPN report the Bills are relieving OC Greg Roman of his duties. Chris Palmer expected to take over

@RapSheet

The #Bills have appointed Anthony Lynn, RB coach, as their new OC, I’m told.

@buffalobills

Greg Roman has been relieved of his duties. Asst. HC/RB Coach Anthony Lynn is promoted to Offensive Coordinator.

Slight humor. some sources saying it's Chris Palmer as new OC. Says this in his Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Palmer_(American_football)#Buffalo_Bills

It has to be scapegoat firing - what possibly could have changed so much to fire your OC after just 2 weeks? This is unheard of.

See: Schonert, Turk. (days before the season even began)

Edit: I should add that we were absolutely terrible in 2009.

Edited by fridge

I guess I was wrong. I thought Rex Ryan was the reason our D has regressed from the being the 4th best defense in the league to looking like a JV squad. I thought it was Rex Ryan who couldn't manage a game. I thought Rex Ryan was the one who confuses swearing every other word for actual coaching. I thought Rex and Robby were the ones who put last night's horrible defensive game plan together.

Turns out this was all Greg Roman.

No offense Dave but to me this is like point to the New Orleans offense and giving Marrone a lot of credit for it.

where id disagree is that we saw a year of Greg Romans offense solo and it wasnt radically different. because he was playcaller both places.

Doug Marrone did not carry the sean payton playbook with him.

Edited by NoSaint

I think our offense's inability to sustain drives really killed the D last night. Jets had the ball for over 40 minutes and the D was exhausted by the time the 4th quarter rolled around. It's tough to get a breather when your offense either goes 3 and out or only gets one first down on a drive.

I have a feeling that Roman getting canned was part play calling ( that mangled 3rd and 1 , 4th and 1 thing was pretty awful)... and also part him not making adjustments. I think they probably asked him to change and adjust before the game.. and then they looked at the film today and probably saw he wasn't changing his MO at all so they canned him. I think he was just stuck in the rut of run, run, run.... then go deep ...and he wouldn't adjust to the quick game (slants, hitches etc... ) if the game situation called for it.

Even with that being said... I am somewhat conflicted about this firing. Roman did show that he could adjust in the Jets and Cowboys game to end the year last by going to the short quick game .. and Tyrod was starting to show he could handle that kind of strategy.

Running the ball... forward... at all. Would be a nice change of pace. Run from under center. pass from under center.

We have a fullback - try using him from time to time. Use McCoy as a receiver a bit more.