Bills Staying in Orchard Park? Buying Up Land Around...

Interesting, for sure.

But still not guaranteeing that the stadium remains there.

Could be speculative land acquisition for future development.

I bet the land bought by the Pegulas (er us I think the state & ec give the Bills $14 million a year) will transfer over to Erie County and become part of the tax free land Ralph Land.

Who knows? But my opinion is that staying in OP makes zero sense for a new stadium w/o supporting infrastructure to accommodate easier ways to get in/out along with a viable plan for year round utilization.

What the police move more cars out of the Ralph (70,000 fans) in less time than a event @ the FNC (18,000) Nobody shot in Orchard Park this week, Buffalo?????

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the land bought by the Pegulas (er us I think the state & ec give the Bills $14 million a year) will transfer over to Erie County and become part of the tax free land Ralph Land.

What the police move more cars out of the Ralph (70,000 fans) in less time than a event @ the FNC (18,000) Nobody shot in Orchard Park this week, Buffalo?????

Conflating issues now. Guess they better get FNC, Harbor Center, 716, and the new Marriott out of dangerous downtown Buffalo. :unsure: I know you love the OP taligaiting and in game experience, but come on man!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I never understood when people say this. I have season tickets since 1997 & live in Lancaster. I am home in 15 minutes after the game. Once you get past California your home free. Plus you could get to the stadium a variety of ways. I don't know maybe it is worse getting home to the Southtowns. I park in lot 5 & I am usually home by 4:30-4:45 for a 1pm game. I honestly don't think the traffic is bad & is 10 times better than it would be if they put the stadium downtown.

I park in Lot 3 and IF we get out in a timely fashion (which is always bad enough since for some reason they allow traffic to move westbound on Southwestern from Abbott, but I digress), it takes us longer to get from the lot 3 drive through the traffic circle at Big Tree and South Park than it does to get from the traffic circle to Youngstown. Traffic is TERRIBLE.

Can someone explain why the first thread about this a week or so ago was deleted? If JW says it's not a big deal then why all of the secrecy?

As Mead said, it was not a done deal last week. Not a big deal, interesting. I bet JW wants a downtown stadium for obvious reasons.

I park in Lot 3 and IF we get out in a timely fashion (which is always bad enough since for some reason they allow traffic to move westbound on Southwestern from Abbott, but I digress), it takes us longer to get from the lot 3 drive through the traffic circle at Big Tree and South Park than it does to get from the traffic circle to Youngstown. Traffic is TERRIBLE.

Looks like by parking in Lot 3 you are in traffic with the largest group of vehicles, lot 3, 4, ECC and Lot 5 if they go down Sheldon and private lots. I known some other TBDers use a different route to the north. I think Promo the Robot is sell a booklet for $19.95 Secrets of a fast exit from the Ralph.

Looks like by parking in Lot 3 you are in traffic with the largest group of vehicles, lot 3, 4, ECC and Lot 5 if they go down Sheldon and private lots. I known some other TBDers use a different route to the north. I think Promo the Robot is sell a booklet for $19.95 Secrets of a fast exit from the Ralph.

Here's my secret and it's free:

1 -- stay until the end of the game

2 -- if you're in the Clubs, go have a drink/sandwich and watch some of the late games

3 -- if you're not in the Clubs, go back out to your tailgate and fire up the grill

4 -- whether you follow (2) or (3), by the time you're ready to leave it's clear sailing

Something like that. From what I hear, what will happen on this land will be pretty cool and you don't get cool unless you spend mucho dinero.

Hammer's Lot TWO - a 25 story, state-of-the-art, parking garage / tailgate zone!?

gg.jpg

Per Bart Scott, "CAN'T WAIT!"

I'm blessed and can walk from my friend's house on Big Tree so we're moving faster than the cars.

I desperately hope that everything stays in OP not for that reason, but for many of the prior mentioned ones......

My friend is a tax man and processed that land sale BTW. Apparently the original owner passed away.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of keeping the team where it is in OP.

What happens to all these facilities if they move downtown? Seems like a waste.

Plus, OP= much less chance of a crappy dome

very good thought. i am totally in favor of keeping the stadium in OP.. the issue you just raised just adds to the mix of reasons they should stay put.

Conflating issues now. Guess they better get FNC, Harbor Center, 716, and the new Marriott out of dangerous downtown Buffalo. :unsure: I know you love the OP taligaiting and in game experience, but come on man!

What??? I remember a satistic about safety in neighborhoods around NFL stadiums. Foxboro #1, Ralph #2 What do they have in common, not a city stadium. I know people who went to the Jets vs Bills game in Detriot, never again will they go to D town. Future stadium location or rehab Ralph, its out of our control. Who knows in 7 years we all might be watching the games at home via virtual reality glasses!

Hammer's Lot TWO - a 25 story, state-of-the-art, parking garage / tailgate zone!?

gg.jpg

Per Bart Scott, "CAN'T WAIT!"

I don't think I can build that high in OP. Something to do with flight path of the crows and seagulls who scavage the stadium lots for days after the games!

Well then try a different route then. I don't know what to tell you. We never have a traffic problem & I have been going to the games consistently for over 20 years,

There's always a million reasons to not do something (classic Buffalo thinking), but you havent mentioned anything that can't be addressed and improved.

Pegula built 2 new ice rinks right next to the one that already exists and he owns, and he has Harborcenter booked with events. For just ice skating! Buffalo/Erie Country/NYS would need to swing a deal where Pegula funds a portion (if not majority, if not all of it) himself. Traffic couldnt be any worse than at RWS where you basically only have 2 ways of getting there.

This would also cover the convention center and amphitheater as well. It needs to be an entire complex. FNC, HarborCenter, CanalSide, New Stadium, waterfront, and public transit. Along with stores and restaurants in the adjacent buildings.

just a thought bubble but the outdoor stadium complex and training facility is not exactly a place to have multiple events, except for concerts.

i swear, i didn't realize this had become a big thing. i read this thread earlier today and made a few calls to find out what was up.

that said, i didn't take another look at this thing until just a few minutes ago and realized that it had become A BIG THING until it wasn't.

it's not.

jw

doomed?

Look at a map and get creative. We drive to and from Rochester for every home game and are consistently home by 5:30. HINT: Sometimes you save time by driving in the opposite direction you need to ultimately go, and then double back. The only pain in the ass we deal with is getting out of the actual lots.

The posters here.....You guys are fortunate to be complaining about traffic. If I'm lucky, I make it to one game a year. That one game, is ALWAYS a great time, I enjoy the entire day. Tailgating starts at 8 in the morning and doesn't stop until well after the game. I'm for an OP stadium. I love the throwback feel. It's one of the last remaining "Non-Sellouts" to the corporate everything NFL. Traveling from the New Orleans area doesn't allow for season tickets!

But my retirement plan will hopefully include a second residence....I'll be the exact opposite of the standard "snow bird", I'll travel north for football season!

My secret when parking at Hammer's is go south a bit then do an end-around east or west to head north.

I never understood when people say this. I have season tickets since 1997 & live in Lancaster. I am home in 15 minutes after the game. Once you get past California your home free. Plus you could get to the stadium a variety of ways. I don't know maybe it is worse getting home to the Southtowns. I park in lot 5 & I am usually home by 4:30-4:45 for a 1pm game. I honestly don't think the traffic is bad & is 10 times better than it would be if they put the stadium downtown.

Yes, for those like you and I that just need to shoot up Southwestern, it isnt that bad. There are a lot of others that get stuck in bad traffic though.

My point wasnt to say the traffic would be better downtown, just not any worse. Some people will always be stuck in traffic when you are dealing with that volume. Speaking of volume though... if they tie into mass transit like they should, then that will remove a good number of vehicles from the fold. Every Falcons game I went to while living in Atlanta, I took MARTA, and was dropped off right at (under actually) the stadium. No drunk driving either.

I think you over estimate Pegs wealth, and under estimate his business acumen.

He can't afford to pay for the whole thing. But even if he could, he would be a fool to go it alone.

Curious, do you pay property tax?

About $4Billion, with about $500,000,000 in cash right now. He could afford to pay for the whole thing if he really wanted to. And he can definitely cover half (assuming the whole thing will cost about $1Billion).

I agree he would be foolish to do it all himself, but, it might be worth it in order to have total control and keep the city/county/state out of his business.

I do pay property tax, in WNY. And I've (WE've) already helped fund plenty of stadiums and projects in NYC and Albany. They can kick in for us now too.

just a thought bubble but the outdoor stadium complex and training facility is not exactly a place to have multiple events, except for concerts.

I dont follow. What I propose is contingent on a indoor/retractable roof stadium.

This is the land that was purchased right? Give or take - just looking to picture the general area.

20fueck.png

Now that I see the land parcel that is not enough for a new stadium footprint unless they tear down all the houses and the Big Tree Inn. If there is a new stadium coming in OP it's either in the lot north of the current stadium or across Abbott.

I park in Drive 5, right up close to the stadium. I leave my seats when the clock hits 00:00. I am generally pulling in to my driveway approximately 30 minutes from the time I start my car. Straight down Southwestern to Union and home to Cheektowaga. I rarely have traffic issues getting in or out of Drive 5.

I am very neutral on the new stadium topic. I'm not here to advocate a new downtown stadium by any stretch of the imagination. The tailgating experience itself is a great reason to stay in Orchard Park. That being said, I don't understand it when people use traffic issues as a reason not to build a downtown stadium. The Ralph has among the worst traffic flow situations in the entire league. It is surrounded by two lane roads that lead to the express ways a couple miles down the road. A downtown site would have immediate access to express ways. Of course congestion would still exist. It's inevitable when 80,000 people gather in one place at the same time. I just don't see it as being in worse than the Ralph. In fact I think it would improve that situation.

and good chance new stadium has under 70,000

But my retirement plan will hopefully include a second residence....I'll be the exact opposite of the standard "snow bird", I'll travel north for football season!

Ha - funny. My wife and I are in extended negotiations about this very subject right now.

Yes, for those like you and I that just need to shoot up Southwestern, it isnt that bad. There are a lot of others that get stuck in bad traffic though.

My point wasnt to say the traffic would be better downtown, just not any worse. Some people will always be stuck in traffic when you are dealing with that volume. Speaking of volume though... if they tie into mass transit like they should, then that will remove a good number of vehicles from the fold. Every Falcons game I went to while living in Atlanta, I took MARTA, and was dropped off right at (under actually) the stadium. No drunk driving either.

About $4Billion, with about $500,000,000 in cash right now. He could afford to pay for the whole thing if he really wanted to. And he can definitely cover half (assuming the whole thing will cost about $1Billion).

I agree he would be foolish to do it all himself, but, it might be worth it in order to have total control and keep the city/county/state out of his business.

I do pay property tax, in WNY. And I've (WE've) already helped fund plenty of stadiums and projects in NYC and Albany. They can kick in for us now too.

I dont follow. What I propose is contingent on a indoor/retractable roof stadium.

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs. That the option to do a retractable downtown isn't that possible. And as such, the value it would add to uptown can't be that much. Having a building take up that much space downtown, needing the infrastructure it would need is a massive undertaking. Keeping the game 20 minutes away and improving the downtown of Buffalo would help create a place for after the game. Perhaps, soon transportation to get to OP from downtown will be likely. Chill in Buffalo until 1130-1145 hop on train. Head to OP. Get there by 1210. Go in game?

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs.

they could simply be planning on keeping offices/practice facilities outside of downtown. a lot of teams do that.

no inside info with that statement, just sharing that practice.

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs. That the option to do a retractable downtown isn't that possible. And as such, the value it would add to uptown can't be that much. Having a building take up that much space downtown, needing the infrastructure it would need is a massive undertaking. Keeping the game 20 minutes away and improving the downtown of Buffalo would help create a place for after the game. Perhaps, soon transportation to get to OP from downtown will be likely. Chill in Buffalo until 1130-1145 hop on train. Head to OP. Get there by 1210. Go in game?

There is a rail line that goes by RWS. They could extend Metrorail to the Southtowns.

There is a rail line that goes by RWS. They could extend Metrorail to the Southtowns.

There is no real connection to that rail line as of now. At least, not within walking distance of downtown.

Ha - funny. My wife and I are in extended negotiations about this very subject right now.

We've been in negotiations for over a decade on this topic. And we'll continue to discuss for years to come. She countered, once, with the idea of me living in Buffalo for one year (without her - she doesn't like cold weather) to get it out of my system. I stood firm and shot that notion down....Nothing like a little piece of football heaven (walk up property to Ralph Wilson Stadium).

Not to be completed until April 2017. Seems like a long time to build a simple grass practice field.

Apparently the long construction time is OBD caving to.Rob Ryans demands of a mighty taco, john & Marys, Bar Bill, Jim's Steak Out, Teds, and Lunetta's

Satellite operations on the sidelines.

Hurry, unless a recession hits prices are getting nutz!

i swear, i didn't realize this had become a big thing. i read this thread earlier today and made a few calls to find out what was up.

that said, i didn't take another look at this thing until just a few minutes ago and realized that it had become A BIG THING until it wasn't.

it's not.

jw

LOL

Not to be completed until April 2017. Seems like a long time to build a simple grass practice field.

Grass has gotta grow man...