2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Watson guy, His strengths though are incredible intangibles and leadership. He can throw and make plays in the short to intermediate area. I do have a problem with his arm. Analytics guys have shown that QB's that throw under 54 don't do well in NFL.

Talk to Gunner or Blokes. They have him as QB#1 this year.

I will repeat my point about the velocity thing.... I will believe it when a guy who would otherwise have a chance fails because of it. I have looked at the names in the 6 or 7 years it has been tracked and I don't see one. Until then it is flawed analytics that proves coincidence not causation. Watson throws the seam route which is a big boy NFL throw better than any other Quarterback I have evaluated in the 4 years I have been doing it.

Last notes and something really cool:

Greg Gabriel‏ @greggabe 22m22 minutes ago

Was told tonight by person who gave me Fournette to SF was bad info. The thinking is they will select Adams at 2.

If they stay at 2 this is absolutely the direction I think they go. Edited by GunnerBill

1. CLEV Garrett DE

2. SF Trade w/CAR Fournette RB

3. CHI Adams

4. JAX Thomas DT/DE

5. TEN trade W/ Clev Trubisky QB

6. NYJ Lattimore CB

7. LAC Hooker S

8. CAR Trade w/SF Allen DT/DE

9. CIN Foster LB

10. BUF trade w/ TEN Howard TE

11. NO Barnett DE

12. CLEV trade w/ TEN Williams WR

13. ARI Davis WR

14. PHI Cook RB

15. IND Ramczyk OT

16. BALT Reddick LB/DE

17. WAS Ross WR

18. TEN trade w/ BUF Watson QB

19. TB McCaffery RB

20. DEN Bolles OT

21. DET Davis LB

22. MIA Lamp G

23. NYG Ngoku TE

24. OAK Jackson CB

25. HOU Mahomes QB

26. SEA Robinson OT

27. KC Willis DE/OLB

28. DAL White CB

29. GB King CB

30. PIT Engram TE

31. ATL McDowell DT

32. NO Humphrey CB

So does Bob McGinn. I can't believe their owner is going to overrule the expensive, highly-hyped rebuilt scouting department.

Ha ha, he's a horrible owner.

A couple of other nuggets from Scheffter this morning:

- 2 QBs in the top dozen (Watson and Trubisky)

- 2 RBs in the top 10

- Reddick in the top 12

I will repeat my point about the velocity thing.... I will believe it when a guy who would otherwise have a chance fails because of it. I have looked at the names in the 6 or 7 years it has been tracked and I don't see one. Until then it is flawed analytics that proves coincidence not causation. Watson throws the seam route which is a big boy NFL throw better than any other Quarterback I have evaluated in the 4 years I have been doing it.

If they stay at 2 this is absolutely the direction I think they go.

That's a standard that allows anyone that fails to be written off as not applicable.

I'll give you that this is not concrete yet but I think it makes sense as far as velocity needed in tight windows. The real question is what is the actual limit where you do remove people from your draft board?

You would admit a guy that can't throw 40 MPH should not be drafted?

That's a standard that allows anyone that fails to be written off as not applicable.

I'll give you that this is not concrete yet but I think it makes sense as far as velocity needed in tight windows. The real question is what is the actual limit where you do remove people from your draft board?

You would admit a guy that can't throw 40 MPH should not be drafted?

I don't know what limit I'd have, because I can't think of a good Quarterback who failed due to lack of arm..... there might be 2 or 3 whose ceilings were limited by it.... you might put Alex Smith in that category for example, he has never been a big armed guy.... but I struggle to think of one whose career failed because of arm. The arm strength knock existed on Brees and Kurt Warner for example, to name but two..... they both did okay. It is way down the list of things I prioritise in evaluating.

If Watson fails and he does so because he is throwing a load of picks to defenders jumping routes then I will factor it in more in future evaluations. That is always how I work. I start with what I think is important at each position but I always try and work out why guys I liked failed.... what did I miss or dismiss? Because that makes you a better evaluator the next time.

I don't know what limit I'd have, because I can't think of a good Quarterback who failed due to lack of arm..... there might be 2 or 3 whose ceilings were limited by it.... you might put Alex Smith in that category for example, he has never been a big armed guy.... but I struggle to think of one whose career failed because of arm. The arm strength knock existed on Brees and Kurt Warner for example, to name but two..... they both did okay. It is way down the list of things I prioritise in evaluating.

If Watson fails and he does so because he is throwing a load of picks to defenders jumping routes then I will factor it in more in future evaluations. That is always how I work. I start with what I think is important at each position but I always try and work out why guys I liked failed.... what did I miss or dismiss? Because that makes you a better evaluator the next time.

Let's use what happens when a QB loses their fastball. Peyton Manning still had the brains, HOF football mind when his arm went. But his lack of velocity on the football made him comparable to Brock Osweiler.

McGinn annually crushes guys like Kiper and McShay when it comes to the mock.

I think the Browns are actually going to do it and take Trub #1. They value picks way too much to pay the price to move up from 12 to 5 (or higher) to make sure they get him and Garrett. I think they'll take Trub knowing they can likely get solid defensive talent at 12 and 33.

If Trub goes #1, I believe there is going to be a rush on San Fran's #2 pick and they'll sell to the highest bidder. I'd have to believe Tennessee is in the best position to make an aggressive offer to go from 5 to 2 and San Fran still is likely looking at Adams or Thomas, after dropping to 5 (aka the guy they've been thinking they'll get for months).

If he lasts to 3, it sounds like the Bears are going Adams and the Jags are going Fournette, outside of Trub going #1, the Jets are the major wildcard. There's speculation they need so much that they won't take a QB and will instead give Hack his shot behind McCown. I could see that being another trade spot if Carolina wants to get above the Chargers to get McCaffery. They also badly need a corner and could go Lattimore (they certainly have a history of taking OSU guys).

I think Trub / Garrett / Adams / Thomas / Fournette / McCaffery are all certainly off the board before pick 10. It could leave us in a position where we take whoever is left between Hooker / Howard / Lattimore.

In honor of it being draft day I did my last mock draft of the year.

10: R1P10
EDGE DEREK BARNETT
TENNESSEE
44: R2P12
TE EVAN ENGRAM
MISSISSIPPI
75: R3P11
S EDDIE JACKSON
ALABAMA
156: R5P12
WR DEDE WESTBROOK
OKLAHOMA
163: R5P19
CB HOWARD WILSON
HOUSTON
171: R5P27
WR ARTAVIS SCOTT
CLEMSON
195: R6P11
RB DONNEL PUMPHREY
SAN DIEGO STATE
Thoughts?

Let's use what happens when a QB loses their fastball. Peyton Manning still had the brains, HOF football mind when his arm went. But his lack of velocity on the football made him comparable to Brock Osweiler.

Peyton by his last year, sure. There will be nobody in the draft who can't throw it further than 10 yards.

For those that can't help looking at mock drafts, this guy (Jason Boris) has been one of the most consistently accurate prognosticators of the actual

draft. That is still not saying much (he's , like, 44% accurate) but he became my guru once Rich Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News stopped

giving us his predictions.

http://www.tnonline.com/2017/apr/27/boris-makes-opening-round-picks

I am thrilled he has us taking Howard.

For my skills list, check out: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/thr/mock.scores.shtml

Composite Big Board, I think I'd take it.

10: R1P10
DL JONATHAN ALLEN
ALABAMA
44: R2P12
LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM
VANDERBILT
75: R3P11
WR CHRIS GODWIN
PENN STATE
156: R5P12
S RAYSHAWN JENKINS
MIAMI
163: R5P19
CB HOWARD WILSON
HOUSTON
171: R5P27
TE MICHAEL ROBERTS
TOLEDO
195: R6P11
OT ERIK MAGNUSON
MICHIGAN

@nfldraftscout

#Bills going defense at 10 seems to be the consensus right now.

MLB is too important in McD's D to leave it up to Ragland and Preston Brown. I'm calling Foster as our pick. I could see Ragland being dealt for a 3rd / 4th round pick this weekend, or his future as a guy who plays some SAM and some with his hand in the dirt at DE. I think Preston is going to be viewed as a backup.

For those that can't help looking at mock drafts, this guy (Jason Boris) has been one of the most consistently accurate prognosticators of the actual

draft. That is still not saying much (he's , like, 44% accurate) but he became my guru once Rich Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News stopped

giving us his predictions.

http://www.tnonline.com/2017/apr/27/boris-makes-opening-round-picks

I am thrilled he has us taking Howard.

For my skills list, check out: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/thr/mock.scores.shtml

I miss Gosselin's - they were the best

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.