2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

I think one of the things we might see with McDermott's D and Whaley's scouting is an emphasis on rangier players like Melifonwu.

If you are going to play zone, players with length are a plus. There were a lot of issues with Rex D but the lack of length up front was a clear difference between his Jets and Bills fronts and I think it contributed to the disappointing run defense.

Malik McDowell and Kpassagnon are a couple players that would be intriguing on the defensive front as one gap players with length to make up for over pursuit in the run game...........but who could also get hands up and provide a little obstruction to a Tom Brady specific gameplan.

It's out there a bit........but if for some reason the market for JPP was softer than expected I could see the Bills looking at him in FA if they decide to pass on some of their own big ticket items.

That's exactly what I was thinking...guys that can jam/redirect, and then switch levels to close and seal. Bonus points if they have a naturally-physical game.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been watching Rasul Douglas (CB - WVU) today and the more I watch, the more I love... Ive elevated him from a 2nd round prospect to a 1st. Going to take a break on him for a while and come back later and see if it wasnt just "love at first sight."

Anyone else have any thoughs on him?

I think we're going to start to see the Obi Melifonwu train start to pick up steam now.

In the few games I watched, he looks very good in coverage, and when creeping up in run support, the play always seems to stop at his doorstep.

I have no idea how well he'll play with his back to the ball when he has over-the-top responsibility, but the simple fact that he's got prototype WR size will cause scouts to drool.

He kind of reminds me of Miles Killebrew type—only Melifonwu actually finds his way to the ball.

He strikes me as the type that could have a meteoric rise into the top-20 if he tests well in workouts, but right now I see him as a R2-R3 guy.

Gotta love the play at the 4:21 mark...fight through the trash and lay the wood.

What do you think of S Josh Harvey from Louisville?

Ive been watching Rasul Douglas (CB - WVU) today and the more I watch, the more I love... Ive elevated him from a 2nd round prospect to a 1st. Going to take a break on him for a while and come back later and see if it wasnt just "love at first sight."

Anyone else have any thoughs on him?

He's on my list, but I haven't gotten to him yet--will re-visit once I do for sure.

What do you think of S Josh Harvey from Louisville?

Not one of my favorites--at least not as a safety. I see a guy that doesn't carry well in man coverage, and doesn't take great angles in zone. He may be able to add weight and play a whip-type role, but I'm not spending a high pick on a guy that hasn't played that role much.

Maybe more of a R3-R4 guy.

He's on my list, but I haven't gotten to him yet--will re-visit once I do for sure.

Not one of my favorites--at least not as a safety. I see a guy that doesn't carry well in man coverage, and doesn't take great angles in zone. He may be able to add weight and play a whip-type role, but I'm not spending a high pick on a guy that hasn't played that role much.

Maybe more of a R3-R4 guy.

cool, I have him in the third, honestly really don't watch secondary much as this part of football really doesn't interest me, just as long they cover I don't care who is back there.

when will he be ready to play though... he just had the acl surgery a couple weeks ago. With such a stacked TE draft I think he drops to the 3rd or later considering he will likely miss all of TC and maybe part of the season...

If he falls, then draft him later. Just draft him.

Horrible time for him to get injured.

He's a natural at Tight End. We could use a player like that.

If he can come back from that injury, which is not out of the question, watch out.

yes, you seem to have a Butt obsession...:-)

:rolleyes:

Come on, you know how popular his jersey would be in Buffalo.

With Kelly, obviously the arm, it’s undeniable.”

Anybody that’s watched Kelly play knows that he has one of the biggest arms in the nation. But, in a league that’s received so much scrutiny for player conduct, you can bet that Whaley and others will be asking him more personal questions, rather than testing him on identifying various coverages."

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/25/bills-to-meet-with-qb-chad-kelly-put-him-through-the-ringer/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation&spot_im_comment_id=sp_1c1iiBxm_8946_c_jyOvI1

So, Deshaun Watson. Let's do this (for the 295th time).

Mental attributes - Plays his best when the pressure is on, dialled in to the scheme, knows his primary read but often works a little too hard to confirm it. Has supreme confidence in his arm, which carries pros and cons. Gets a little skittish in the pocket and has an instinct to bolt vs pressure instead of consistently finding his hot read. Confidence seems key to him, he's a force when everything starts off well.

Passing acumen - General accuracy is pretty good. His placement can be pretty shocking at times though. It's been the cause of a few interceptions. Has the velocity to make all the throws, doesn't have trouble with far-hash throws. Lacks true command of his velocity though. Between that and the placement, he asks far too much of his supporting cast far too often. Deep ball accuracy needs a missing persons report, nowhere to be found for large parts of the season, typically overthrowing pressing downfield. He's decent throwing on the move but needs to understand that contact with the floor is necessary for having a throwing base. The manic process still exists from 2015 (although less frequently).

As a runner - Savvy runner once he breaks to the 2nd level. Not really built for the way he was used (QB power with a 207-pound QB is asking for it). Mobility needs to be stressed in his pro scheme, similar to the Mariota transition.

2nd round grade for me. He can be a starting NFL QB but I'm not convinced he's going to be anything better than a middle of the pack starter. NFL comparison and likely career trajectory both point to Ryan Tannehill. His best is going to be good enough to win you games but his play will have the ability to fluctuate over the course of 16 games. His chancer nature will give the opposition a chance to stay in the game.

Mental attributes - Plays his best when the pressure is on, dialled in to the scheme, knows his primary read but often works a little too hard to confirm it. Has supreme confidence in his arm, which carries pros and cons. Gets a little skittish in the pocket and has an instinct to bolt vs pressure instead of consistently finding his hot read. Confidence seems key to him, he's a force when everything starts off well.

Passing acumen - General accuracy is pretty good. His placement can be pretty shocking at times though. It's been the cause of a few interceptions. Has the velocity to make all the throws, doesn't have trouble with far-hash throws. Lacks true command of his velocity though. Between that and the placement, he asks far too much of his supporting cast far too often. Deep ball accuracy needs a missing persons report, nowhere to be found for large parts of the season, typically overthrowing pressing downfield. He's decent throwing on the move but needs to understand that contact with the floor is necessary for having a throwing base. The manic process still exists from 2015 (although less frequently).

As a runner - Savvy runner once he breaks to the 2nd level. Not really built for the way he was used (QB power with a 207-pound QB is asking for it). Mobility needs to be stressed in his pro scheme, similar to the Mariota transition.

2nd round grade for me. He can be a starting NFL QB but I'm not convinced he's going to be anything better than a middle of the pack starter. NFL comparison and likely career trajectory both point to Ryan Tannehill. His best is going to be good enough to win you games but his play will have the ability to fluctuate over the course of 16 games. His chancer nature will give the opposition a chance to stay in the game.

Great stuff Blokes!!! Thanks!!

Terrific post. When I read your post I thought you were analyzing TT instead of the prospect.

I have come to the conclusion that Whaley is not going to draft a qb with his first two picks. Because of the cap squeeze he is going to want to select players who can play right from the start such as CB, S and wide receiver.

According to this Whaley is interested in OJ Howard? https://twitter.com/bf_insiders/status/825150980706680832

Apparently he had a huge week. 10 feels a little early to me but if he views him as an elite pass catcher I think I'd be okay with it. I prefer the 2 receivers and 2 safeties but Howard is a freakish talent.

But if we can trade back a bit???

Brooks mock 1.0: Senior Bowl effect
With a week of Senior Bowl practices in the rearview mirror, Bucky Brooks rolls out his first mock draft. How did the performances of the top seniors re-shape the first round of the draft?

RANK 10

BUF.png

BILLS

Sidney Jones - CB, Washington: If the Bills move on from Stephon Gilmore, they could grab the long, rangy Jones to fill the CB1 role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.