2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he HAS to play in a 3-4. I think he can be an MLB in plenty of 4-3 schemes... I'm just not sure he is a fit in a scheme like McDermott's or like Atlanta or Seattle play where it is largely cover 3 on the back end in base formations and therefore the linebackers need to be able to turn their hips and run with guys downfield at times. I think he could play for Schwartz for example - he certainly moves better than Brandon Spikes who Schwartz used to good effect in Buffalo and I think he could play in New England's D. Physically he is similar to Hightower, played the same position in the same defense in college. New England don't ask their mike to do too much in coverage. They use him as the kind of 'pivot' in the defence. I think Ragland could do that.

:thumbsup:

I agree, Would you draft Kupp (WR) with a mid 2nd round grade over a guy like Rosul Douglas (CB) with a late 2nd round grade in the 2nd round, if you needed a corner more and ran a running based offense with a QB who was not a very good passer?

don't know who Douglas is so no :D

well we wont be having that bad passer anymore so I take Kupp. If I really need a corner I would take one in the first.

The point is, how Kupp wins as a player has to match up to the strengths of the QB (the same as any other WR). As a get open early on the route type of short/intermediate guy, it's pointless investing that high a pick in him without having a QB that will consistently hit him in time, in stride and allow him to thrive. The Jarvis Landry comparison exists for the reason that both guys are who they are but you have to use them correctly to get the best version of them.

If the QB isn't quick with his reads, get a WR that does well with contested catches. If he throws a good deep ball, get a great tracker.

Kupp is going to look great with Romo :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's the face. He's far too smug for someone that average looking.

I walk around downtrodden because I know I'm a solid 5. I know my place.

QBs get all the hot chicks

I don't think he HAS to play in a 3-4. I think he can be an MLB in plenty of 4-3 schemes... I'm just not sure he is a fit in a scheme like McDermott's or like Atlanta or Seattle play where it is largely cover 3 on the back end in base formations and therefore the linebackers need to be able to turn their hips and run with guys downfield at times. I think he could play for Schwartz for example - he certainly moves better than Brandon Spikes who Schwartz used to good effect in Buffalo and I think he could play in New England's D. Physically he is similar to Hightower, played the same position in the same defense in college. New England don't ask their mike to do too much in coverage. They use him as the kind of 'pivot' in the defence. I think Ragland could do that.

Great post. It will be interesting to see what McDermott and Frazier do to accommodate Ragland or they just run their schemes and he ends up playing strong side linebacker for 2 downs.

I dont know if you do much self scouting, but Rasul Douglas (CB - West Virginia #13) is a guy I love, excellent field vision in deep zones and will read and attack other zones and make plays basically on his 1/2 the field, excellent trail technique when there is Safety help, reads routes well and gets his head around to the ball before the WR breaks. IMO he's a perfect fit for McDermott's defense, I expect Seattle and Atlanta will be high on him. Needs some work in press and man coverage, but his eye discipline, general awareness in coverage and physical stature remind me of Richard Sherman, I think he's a round 1-2 talent and a great target for Buffalo in the 2nd. If you do self scout, check him out and let me know what you think...

well we wont be having that bad passer anymore so I take Kupp. If I really need a corner I would take one in the first.

touche'

Sadly.

@TomPelissero

NFL teams received final combine invite list. Among those not invited: Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon and Baylor WR Ishmael Zamora, per sources.

@JoshNorris

Josh Norris Retweeted Tom Pelissero

The NFL Combine implemented a rule that players with domestic violence convictions would be barred from the event: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635000/article/players-with-domestic-violence-convictions-barred-from-combine

Eh, probably too early to start this stuff, but...

10: R1P10
LB REUBEN FOSTER
ALABAMA
44: R2P12
S BUDDA BAKER
WASHINGTON
75: R3P11
WR MALACHI DUPRE
LSU
157: R5P12
QB DAVIS WEBB
CALIFORNIA
172: R5P27
FB SAM ROGERS
VIRGINIA TECH
196: R6P11
CB JALEN MYRICK
MINNESOTA

Those first 3 would be ridiculous. I love Dupree, could he really go in the third? I don't see it

@TomPelissero

NFL teams received final combine invite list. Among those not invited: Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon and Baylor WR Ishmael Zamora, per sources.

@JoshNorris

The NFL Combine implemented a rule that players with domestic violence convictions would be barred from the event: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635000/article/players-with-domestic-violence-convictions-barred-from-combine

I am a big fan of this rule. As much as I am a "second chance guy" I don't see why Mixon should be given the same opportunity as the others? He should face some punishment and have to earn that 2nd chance. Not going to the combine gives him one less chance to impress scouts. Instead of getting multiple chances at the .40, broad jump, etc... you get one chance. He better be prepared when that pro day comes around to wow them on the field and in the interviews. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Currently he is the 70th ranked player on the CBS big board, so getting picked at 75 isn't a huge stretch. He's also the 9th WR on their board currently, FWIW.

He feels like a riser. He was a 5 star and the top WR recruit in the country. Then he played in Les' garbage offense with his garbage QBs. Malachi has a lot of ability but not a lot of production. He'd be a steal in the 3rd but I think he will ultimately go in the 2nd when all is said and done.

I am a big fan of this rule. As much as I am a "second chance guy" I don't see why Mixon should be given the dame opportunity as the others? He should face some punishment and have to earn that 2nd chance. Not going to the combine gives him one less chance to impress scouts. Instead of getting multiple chances at the .40, broad jump, etc... you get one chance. He better be prepared when that pro day comes around to wow them on the field and in the interviews.

I'm not against the rule that anyone involved with domestic violence should not be allowed to participate in that event. In reality it is simply a symbolic reprimand. Even with the sanction the player will still continue to train and prepare for his pro day which might be more important than the combine, an event where a lot of players skip events such as running a 40 with a phantom injury. It's now getting to the point where the better players are instructed by their advisers/agents to skip the event and focus on preparing for the pro day tests.

For me too much weight is placed on how a player performs on these athletic tests and allowing those performances to skew what they have seen on game day tapes .

Edited by JohnC

I'm not against the rule that anyone involved with domestic violence should not be allowed to participate in that event. In reality it is simply a symbolic reprimand. Even with the sanction the player will still continue to train and prepare for his pro day which might be more important than the combine, an event where a lot of players skip events such as running a 40 with a phantom injury. It's now getting to the point where the better players are instructed by their advisers/agents to skip the event and focus on preparing for the pro day tests.

For me too much weight is placed on how a player performs on these athletic tests and allowing those performances to skew what they have seen on game day tapes .

That is true but you see guys who didn't get the number that they wanted (or expected) swing again at their pro day. If they love their numbers they won't do it again. They have that option. Mixon won't have that luxury.

I dont know if you do much self scouting, but Rasul Douglas (CB - West Virginia #13) is a guy I love, excellent field vision in deep zones and will read and attack other zones and make plays basically on his 1/2 the field, excellent trail technique when there is Safety help, reads routes well and gets his head around to the ball before the WR breaks. IMO he's a perfect fit for McDermott's defense, I expect Seattle and Atlanta will be high on him. Needs some work in press and man coverage, but his eye discipline, general awareness in coverage and physical stature remind me of Richard Sherman, I think he's a round 1-2 talent and a great target for Buffalo in the 2nd. If you do self scout, check him out and let me know what you think...

touche'

Sadly.

I used to do a lot of scouting but just don't have time anymore. I just watch QBs and the occasional player that catches my eye

@TomPelissero

@JoshNorris

good, these criminals need repercussions

It may seem like too much weight is put on the athletic testing, but it is actually outweighed by those game tapes you mentioned, interviews, and background checks. A lot of the perception that 40 times, etc. outweigh everything else is manipulated by the very hyperbole surrounding the events themselves. All things being equal, better athleticism wins out though. It's also very position specific, too. And it is good to see a physical basis for how a prospect's game might translate to the next level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.