2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you guys find the college game film that you scout? I love reading about the prospects, but I'd be interested in watching game film too.

Real actual All-22 film is extremely difficult to come by, so most of us use draftbreakdown.com, where they provide broadcast video cut up to show all of the relevant plays involving a particular prospect.

Bill, I have come around to your line of thinking. I blame you for making me into a zealot! It seems that every year the cycle of blandness repeats itself. Resorting to such a restrictive approach to roster building while remaining stuck in the muck of mediocrity becomes less tolerable to take as the years go by. How does an organization go through 20 years of not having a legitimate franchise qb and continue to be so passive in addressing the most important factor that determines success and failure? :cry:

Quarterback is the most important position by far. I suspect every poster here knows that. What I don't understand is how many posters want to repeat the same mistake of using our best primary resources on what is properly referred to as the "secondary." The Bills have gone down this losing road time and time again and can't even sneak into a wild card spot.

BADOL, as is his norm, makes extremely poignant points about the OL. The truth is that other than Glenn, this is not an awfully good unit (although I was impressed by the backup center). Like him or hate him, Tyrod makes these players look better than they are. He moves around so well that there is less of a need for good pass blocking. He also help the running game because defenses have to focus on him. My point? An infusion of talent is needed up front, especially on the right side.

Pass rush today is the real defensive equalizer. All the rules favor the receiver these days, and if a qb has time he will destroy you. Pass rushing DEs and tweeners are worth their weight in gold. These guys pressure and sack quarterbacks. They take over games and win them for a team.

I want the Bills to draft a qb in round 1 every year until they are certain that they have their guy. It can't hurt and remember, qbs have astronomical trade value. For example,let's see what the Bengals get for McCarron, another player that the Bills senselessly whiffed on.

Finally, I haven't given up on Tyrod. As I said, he needs better talent up front and better receivers. To make this happen, we could use a GM who stops giving away our draft choices, but that is another horror show for another thread. :)

Quarterback is the most important position by far. I suspect every poster here knows that. What I don't understand is how many posters want to repeat the same mistake of using our best primary resources on what is properly referred to as the "secondary." The Bills have gone down this losing road time and time again and can't even sneak into a wild card spot.

BADOL, as is his norm, makes extremely poignant points about the OL. The truth is that other than Glenn, this is not an awfully good unit (although I was impressed by the backup center). Like him or hate him, Tyrod makes these players look better than they are. He moves around so well that there is less of a need for good pass blocking. He also help the running game because defenses have to focus on him. My point? An infusion of talent is needed up front, especially on the right side.

Pass rush today is the real defensive equalizer. All the rules favor the receiver these days, and if a qb has time he will destroy you. Pass rushing DEs and tweeners are worth their weight in gold. These guys pressure and sack quarterbacks. They take over games and win them for a team.

I want the Bills to draft a qb in round 1 every year until they are certain that they have their guy. It can't hurt and remember, qbs have astronomical trade value. For example,let's see what the Bengals get for McCarron, another player that the Bills senselessly whiffed on.

Finally, I haven't given up on Tyrod. As I said, he needs better talent up front and better receivers. To make this happen, we could use a GM who stops giving away our draft choices, but that is another horror show for another thread. :)

So I won't be the only one that's disappointed if/when Whaley takes a WR at 10?

Bill hates defensive backs.

I see.

Our Bills historically waste our top draft picks on defensive backs and running backs. Oh, and we lose football games. Your mock brings back ugly memories of 2006, the year in which Levy and Jauron, two men who nobody else wanted, ruined our football team for many years to come.

Even if the players you list are "good," the Bills would continue to lose. IMO of course, it really is that simple. The Bills need to invest in quarterbacks, pass rushers, and men who can block other humans.

You are certainly right about the history of drafting DB's and RB's.

In 2006 they took Whitner, traded up for a pass rushing DT and took a corner in round 3, the problem IMO was Whitner was not worthy of that spot, McCargo was also a reach and round 3 and beyond is usually a crap shoot anyway. Yes it hurt the team, but if they had picked a Troy Polamalu type safety (hypothetically) instead of Whitner, I think things would have gone differently.

IMO Jamal Adams and Hooker are head and shoulders better football players than Whitner was ever projected to be, and would help this team win in that he was the communicator on Defense for LSU that A. Williams was Buffalo and better in coverage.

While drafting these positions hasnt worked out for Buffalo, I would say its safe to say that that there are many other factors causing this team to be ruined over the years. Tom Don drafted Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie and Ed Reed... I talked to him around that time about that (Williams over McKinnie) and he basically said they wanted a man "who can block" other humans, I said he picked the wrong one and should have taken McKinnie (could have also had Ed Reed), he did not take it well, but point being you can pick those guys QB's (Losman), Pass rushers (Flowers and Maybin), and blockers (Williams) but it doesnt always work out.

I think the Bills will continue to lose if they draft for need in a draft that is not shaping up to meet their higher end needs (QB and T) rather than drafting talent at other need positions. I also think Gilmore is leaving in FA, and Aaron Williams isnt making it through 2017 or going to retire prior to 2017, Darby slumped, Seymour is an unknown at best still and who is there at Safety? The secondary is a mess already, if Gilmore leaves and Williams gets hurt/retires Brady is going to throw for 600 yards against this secondary as it is/shaping up to be if they dont upgrade it and they wont beat anyone else of conciquence anyways as well as they are looking IMO.

I agree that they need a QB and RT, but reaching on a QB got us Manuel, and this class of QB's looks similar to that one with people hyping and proping up guys even Mayock is backing off of.

I see.

In 2006 they took Whitner, traded up for a pass rushing DT and took a corner in round 3, the problem IMO was Whitner was not worthy of that spot, McCargo was also a reach and round 3 and beyond is usually a crap shoot anyway. Yes it hurt the team, but if they had picked a Troy Polamalu type safety (hypothetically) instead of Whitner, I think things would have gone differently.

IMO Jamal Adams and Hooker are head and shoulders better football players than Whitner was ever projected to be, and would help this team win in that he was the communicator on Defense for LSU that A. Williams was Buffalo and better in coverage.

While drafting these positions hasnt worked out for Buffalo, I would say its safe to say that that there are many other factors causing this team to be ruined over the years. Tom Don drafted Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie and Ed Reed... I talked to him around that time about that (Williams over McKinnie) and he basically said they wanted a man "who can block" other humans, I said he picked the wrong one and should have taken McKinnie (could have also had Ed Reed), he did not take it well, but point being you can pick those guys QB's (Losman), Pass rushers (Flowers and Maybin), and blockers (Williams) but it doesnt always work out.

I think the Bills will continue to lose if they draft for need in a draft that is not shaping up to meet their higher end needs (QB and T) rather than drafting talent at other need positions. I also think Gilmore is leaving in FA, and Aaron Williams isnt making it through 2017 or going to retire prior to 2017, Darby slumped, Seymour is an unknown at best still and who is there at Safety? The secondary is a mess already, if Gilmore leaves and Williams gets hurt/retires Brady is going to throw for 600 yards against this secondary as it is/shaping up to be if they dont upgrade it and they wont beat anyone else of conciquence anyways as well as they are looking IMO.

I agree that they need a QB and RT, but reaching on a QB got us Manuel, and this class of QB's looks similar to that one with people hyping and proping up guys even Mayock is backing off of.

I agree with almost all this except the end. We can't see EJ Manuel around every corner. Ravens had their EJ pick with Kyle Boller but they then got Flacco in round 1.

I see.

The conclusion I come away with from your excellent post is that the mediocre status of our team has little to do with the positions they are drafting for as it does with the inability to adequately evaluate players. That's the issue, and it is troubling. We can argue about need and positions until we are exhausted. But if the end result is on balance more misses than hits then the record is going to reflect the talent level of the team. And it sadly does.

I have stated it before and I will state it again because the wrong lesson is imputed from the EJ selection. The core problem with the EJ pick and many other picks regardless of position is the poor evaluation of players. That year was a blatantly poor qb draft year. Everyone in the business who was not comatose was aware of that. The other qbs who were of similar talent were drafted in the fourth round or so. The EJ selection was an abysmal selection because he was poorly evaluated as a player.

I believe that there are at least 4 good qb prospects. None are elite and non probably will be ready in their rookie year. So what! The Bills desperately need a well rounded qb on the roster sooner rather than later. Isn't 20 years long enough in having a void at the qb position? Drafting a qb in the first round is going to give this team the best opportunity to get a qb who has the best chance to make it as a franchise qb. If it doesn't work out then so what? It's only one pick. You're not mortgaging the future with that one high selection as so many portray it. How much did our top two picks play last year?

The argument that his draft doesn't have elite qbs has little sway with me. The Bills are built to be a 7-9 to 9-7 caliber team. Not wretchedly bad but wretchedly mediocre. The odds are that if there were elite prospects in the draft we still wouldn't be in position to select one. Let's look at this year's draft. If an Andrew Luck caliber qb/s was in the draft do you think that the top two drafting teams would decline to select one of them? It's not going to happen no matter how much you offer to move up.

Derek Carr was not considered to be an elite prospect. He was good enough to change the trajectory of that franchise. We let him pass. Russell Wilson and Prescott were not elite prospects and without a doubt they made impacts on their team. We let them pass. Isn't it about time that this dullard organization become more aggressive in filling the one position that will most upgrade the team? It seems every year it allows teams to benefit from our plague of bypassing good (not great) prospects that have a significant effect on them.

There comes a point where enough is enough. You either do it or you don't. We are in a good position to select a good qb prospect. No more excuses!

The conclusion I come away with from your excellent post is that the mediocre status of our team has little to do with the positions they are drafting for as it does with the inability to adequately evaluate players. That's the issue, and it is troubling. We can argue about need and positions until we are exhausted. But if the end result is on balance more misses than hits then the record is going to reflect the talent level of the team. And it sadly does.

I have stated it before and I will state it again because the wrong lesson is imputed from the EJ selection. The core problem with the EJ pick and many other picks regardless of position is the poor evaluation of players. That year was a blatantly poor qb draft year. Everyone in the business who was not comatose was aware of that. The other qbs who were of similar talent were drafted in the fourth round or so. The EJ selection was an abysmal selection because he was poorly evaluated as a player.

I believe that there are at least 4 good qb prospects. None are elite and non probably will be ready in their rookie year. So what! The Bills desperately need a well rounded qb on the roster sooner rather than later. Isn't 20 years long enough in having a void at the qb position? Drafting a qb in the first round is going to give this team the best opportunity to get a qb who has the best chance to make it as a franchise qb. If it doesn't work out then so what? It's only one pick. You're not mortgaging the future with that one high selection as so many portray it. How much did our top two picks play last year?

The argument that his draft doesn't have elite qbs has little sway with me. The Bills are built to be a 7-9 to 9-7 caliber team. Not wretchedly bad but wretchedly mediocre. The odds are that if there were elite prospects in the draft we still wouldn't be in position to select one. Let's look at this year's draft. If an Andrew Luck caliber qb/s was in the draft do you think that the top two drafting teams would decline to select one of them? It's not going to happen no matter how much you offer to move up.

Derek Carr was not considered to be an elite prospect. He was good enough to change the trajectory of that franchise. We let him pass. Russell Wilson and Prescott were not elite prospects and without a doubt they made impacts on their team. We let them pass. Isn't it about time that this dullard organization become more aggressive in filling the one position that will most upgrade the team? It seems every year it allows teams to benefit from our plague of bypassing good (not great) prospects that have a significant effect on them.

There comes a point where enough is enough. You either do it or you don't. We are in a good position to select a good qb prospect. No more excuses!

Amen. Bills fans are so scarred by EJ that every QB prospect is now a future bust.

Amen. Bills fans are so scarred by EJ that every QB prospect is now a future bust.

I don't think that's the case at all. The OVERWHELMING majority of QBs drafted never do anything. The stats are posted all over these threads. There have been 213 QBs drafted since the Brady draft. I believe that it is something like 7 franchise QBs the Bills could have drafted (Wilson, Carr, Rodgers (who I counted), Dak, Flacco (I think), Cousins and someone else). It's in another thread. It's not that EJ scared people as much as you better identify the right guy. The guys taken at the top of the draft (not surprisingly) have had the highest success rate. If we want to solve the QB position have a plan and target in mind. Do what you need to do to get them. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think that's the case at all. The OVERWHELMING majority of QBs drafted never do anything. The stats are posted all over these threads. There have been 213 QBs drafted since the Brady draft. I believe that it is something like 7 franchise QBs the Bills could have drafted (Wilson, Carr, Rodgers (who I counted), Dak, Flacco (I think), Cousins and a couple of others). It's in another thread. It's not that EJ scared people as much as you better identify the right guy. The guys taken at the top of the draft (not surprisingly) have had the highest success rate. If we want to solve the QB position have a plan and target in mind. Do what you need to do to get them.

Your post is excellent in pointing out how an organization should approach drafting qbs especially with high draft picks. There is nothing that you stated that I can disagree with. The problem I have with the Bills is that I'm not sure that they are adept at scouting and evaluating this position.

Where I may have a slight disagreement with you (maybe not) is that I believe that a team that doesn't have a franchise (for twenty years) should exhibit more urgency in addressing such a critical need. All teams have draft boards and rank players. For a team with a deficit at the most important position it shouldn't mechanically follow the ranking script. It might be wrong to take a second round valued receiver in the first round but not necessarily wrong to take a second round graded qb in the first round, ideally lower in the first.

I would have had no problem drafting Carr in the first round even with a second round grade. I would have had no problem drafting Prescott in the third round even if he had a fourth round grade.

You and I have been jousting on the qb issue for some time. For the most part we are actually in agreement. Where I deviate from your position somewhat is that I am more willing to be more aggressive and less cautious than you in taking the plunge. Make no mistake what I'm saying here. I have never promoted acting out of desperation. I just think I am less afraid to take a calculated risk when it comes to this essential position. If wrong, then go back and do it again. If still wrong, keep at it until the deed is done.

Your post is excellent in pointing out how an organization should approach drafting qbs especially with high draft picks. There is nothing that you stated that I can disagree with. The problem I have with the Bills is that I'm not sure that they are adept at scouting and evaluating this position.

Where I may have a slight disagreement with you (maybe not) is that I believe that a team that doesn't have a franchise (for twenty years) should exhibit more urgency in addressing such a critical need. All teams have draft boards and rank players. For a team with a deficit at the most important position it shouldn't mechanically follow the ranking script. It might be wrong to take a second round valued receiver in the first round but not necessarily wrong to take a second round graded qb in the first round, ideally lower in the first.

I would have had no problem drafting Carr in the first round even with a second round grade. I would have had no problem drafting Prescott in the third round even if he had a fourth round grade.

You and I have been jousting on the qb issue for some time. For the most part we are actually in agreement. Where I deviate from your position somewhat is that I am more willing to be more aggressive and less cautious than you in taking the plunge. Make no mistake what I'm saying here. I have never promoted acting out of desperation. I just think I am less afraid to take a calculated risk when it comes to this essential position. If wrong, then go back and do it again. If still wrong, keep at it until the deed is done.

I think that's fair.

I actually like Watson some becaus I love the way he competes. Trubisky doesn't do much for me his upside is not enough imo. Kizer has a lot of tools and a lot of risk which isn't the route that I think the Bills should go. Mahomes is pretty exciting with a great skill set. I'd be more than happy with him in the 2nd but too many questions for me to take at 10. I couldn't pass up a potentially great player (Corey Davis for example) for the lottery ticket that is Mahomes. I wouldn't mind him in a trade down. Watson is the only guy I'd be okay with at 10. I prefer Webb to Peterman I think (but candidly have only seen them and Mahomes a couple of times).

You know I'm a fan of the 2018 group. Those guys feel like they have pro skill sets (specifically Rosen and Darnold). I am okay gathering assets to try to pounce then. The reality though is it comes back to your point, scouting. The Bills have scouted the 2017 & 2018 guys a lot by now. They should know which guys they like and which they don't. I hope that they like the right guys.

I think that's fair.

I actually like Watson some becaus I love the way he competes. Trubisky doesn't do much for me his upside is not enough imo. Kizer has a lot of tools and a lot of risk which isn't the route that I think the Bills should go. Mahomes is pretty exciting with a great skill set. I'd be more than happy with him in the 2nd but too many questions for me to take at 10. I couldn't pass up a potentially great player (Corey Davis for example) for the lottery ticket that is Mahomes. I wouldn't mind him in a trade down. Watson is the only guy I'd be okay with at 10. I prefer Webb to Peterman I think (but candidly have only seen them and Mahomes a couple of times).

You know I'm a fan of the 2018 group. Those guys feel like they have pro skill sets (specifically Rosen and Darnold). I am okay gathering assets to try to pounce then. The reality though is it comes back to your point, scouting. The Bills have scouted the 2017 & 2018 guys a lot by now. They should know which guys they like and which they don't. I hope that they like the right guys.

Excellent post as usual.

I want to reiterate that the Bills are built to be on the near plus and minus side of 8-8. The Bills have mastered the concept of systemic mediocrity. I don't care what assets the Bills accumulate they won't have the resources to pry away an elite qb prospect in any year from a top drafting team that will have the same dire need at qb. A deficit at the qb position is usually the primary reason those bottom feeding teams are in those ignominious positions.

If the Bills are impressed enough with the grouping of the top 4 qbs in this draft and are not invested in any one in particular but interested in all I would love to see a trade down. In hindsight the trading away of a first round pick for Watkins was a mistake for a couple of reasons. The first was it was a receiver rich year and the second reason was that franchise didn't have a qb good enough to maximize his scintillating talents. I'll use the same reasoning for Clay who I consider an upper tier receiving TE. He hasn't come close to fulfilling his talents because of the caliber of qbing.

Let me just add a comment on Trubisky. When assessing him you have to factor in that he has been only a one year starter. From a developmental standpoint he should have stayed in for another year. From a financial standpoint I understand why he entered the draft. My belief is that if he would have stayed he would have been a much more developed qb and pro ready qb. So when assessing him you have to make a greater projection on him to fairly evaluate him.

As much as I have commented on my desire to draft a qb in this draft I realize that it probably won't happen this year, at least with our top pick. Why do I say that? The Bills are a staid and unimaginative franchise. They are who they are and their record reflects it. My betting is that this dour franchise will take a DB with their first pick. I will as usual be disappointed.

I think that's fair.

At the time, Rosen was clearly the best of that "elite 11" class that included Darnold...........but Deondre Francois is the one to watch from that group, IMO. And I hope he does leave early. :devil:

I think that's fair.

But Blokes doesn't like Darnold, we must convince him :devil:

Which pass rushing DE/tweener won big games for the Patriots? Falcons? Packers? Steelers? Hmmmm....cant really think of any. I can, however, think of great QB play that won those teams games.

I agree with the heart of what your saying though, I think. We need to get better on the right side of our o-line. I just think there are other avenues to do that while still identifying your franchise QB (if its not Tyrod)

Which pass rushing DE/tweener won big games for the Patriots? Falcons? Packers? Steelers? Hmmmm....cant really think of any. I can, however, think of great QB play that won those teams games.

I agree with the heart of what your saying though, I think. We need to get better on the right side of our o-line. I just think there are other avenues to do that while still identifying your franchise QB (if its not Tyrod)

One of the best defensive players in the SB game was Alan Branch. He plugged up the middle and added interior pressure. BB got a former Bill with a history of laziness and inconsistent effort and got him to maximize his talents. They also added a number of pieces through trades and signings such as TE Bennett and WR Hogan, also formerly from Buffalo.

There are a variety of avenues beyond the draft to address roster weaknesses and still maintain a good cap structure. So the argument that many use that our first round pick has to be used for a critical need instead of using it for a qb prospect doesn't have much merit with me.

There is a consensus that the Bills need to address the receiver unit. The Falcons added Garbriel from the street and he was effective in the SB. And the Pats used a third round pick on Mitchell, a rookie, who also was an effective player in this game.

One of the best defensive players in the SB game was Alan Branch. He plugged up the middle and added interior pressure. BB got a former Bill with a history of laziness and inconsistent effort and got him to maximize his talents. They also added a number of pieces through trades and signings such as TE Bennett and WR Hogan, also formerly from Buffalo.

There are a variety of avenues beyond the draft to address roster weaknesses and still maintain a good cap structure. So the argument that many use that our first round pick has to be used for a critical need instead of using it for a qb prospect doesn't have much merit with me.

There is a consensus that the Bills need to address the receiver unit. The Falcons added Garbriel from the street and he was effective in the SB. And the Pats used a third round pick on Mitchell, a rookie, who also was an effective player in this game.

Great response but it didn't address the question I posed to Bill, who stated that DE edge rushers and tweeners win games for teams. You talked about branch and his run stuffing and interior pressure changing the game (I'm glad he had a good game but that's not why the Pats won) and that's great, but branch is neither an edge rushing DE nor a tweener

And I do agree with you about the first round pick. IF our FO and staff think there is a QB in this draft that can Be franchise material - I'm more than OK with them taking him at 10.

Edited by PaattMaann

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.