2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is from Columbus, same HS as Pat Elflein and Jake Butt.

What's the condition of Butt? Will he be ready by the start of the season? Even not he would be a terrific investment pick to stash away until he is healthy.

I hate it when Whaley gratuitously gives up picks. They could be used for this kind of injured player who might at a later time be a contributor.

Edited by JohnC

What's the condition of Butt? Will he be ready by the start of the season? Even not he would be a terrific investment pick to stash away until he is healthy.

I hate it when Whaley gratuitously gives up picks. They could be used for this kind of injured player who might at a later time be a contributor.

An ACL and slow start tot he season doesn't scare me the way it did decades ago. Pick the best players. It was a late season injury, but we're looking at a guy to keep for years. Where to take him? Less sure on that.

Given how late in the season he tore his ACL, I'd imagine that he'll miss a significant portion of the preseason build-up. Might start the year on the PUP list.

The problem is no chance for pre-draft athletic testing. Tough to put a value on a player that might not be the guy you watched on tape. Same worries I have with Ragland.

he had his ACL surgery Jan. 10. He will most likely start out on PUP. Will miss all offseason and TC, might be able to contribute second half of year. Very tough for him but he's a long term solution at TE for someone imo.

Given how late in the season he tore his ACL, I'd imagine that he'll miss a significant portion of the preseason build-up. Might start the year on the PUP list.

The problem is no chance for pre-draft athletic testing. Tough to put a value on a player that might not be the guy you watched on tape. Same worries I have with Ragland.

I have less worries about Butt as he would fit in our shinny new WCO, Not sure Ragland will. I love how Rex was here and he was like draft the BPA because we can work with any kind of player and then we draft Rex kind of guys :thumbdown:

he had his ACL surgery Jan. 10. He will most likely start out on PUP. Will miss all offseason and TC, might be able to contribute second half of year. Very tough for him but he's a long term solution at TE for someone imo.

yeah, us.

oh Blokesy what are we going to do with you lol

At this point, just make a 33rd team and let me have it. Or one of those summer league teams. Feed my addiction :)

I have less worries about Butt as he would fit in our shinny new WCO, Not sure Ragland will. I love how Rex was here and he was like draft the BPA because we can work with any kind of player and then we draft Rex kind of guys :thumbdown:

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. The only guy that can stop Reggie fitting at Mike is Reggie. Kid needs to be serious about keeping his playing weight down. He was a solid athlete playing at 250+ but he needs words with his buddy, Reuben. Shed the weight, keep the functional strength. In this day and age, there's no plausible reason for a linebacker to be above 240 pounds. Eat a salad, fat boy.

At this point, just make a 33rd team and let me have it. Or one of those summer league teams. Feed my addiction :)

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. The only guy that can stop Reggie fitting at Mike is Reggie. Kid needs to be serious about keeping his playing weight down. He was a solid athlete playing at 250+ but he needs words with his buddy, Reuben. Shed the weight, keep the functional strength. In this day and age, there's no plausible reason for a linebacker to be above 240 pounds. Eat a salad, fat boy.

I miss the days of 265 pound LBers blowing up guards and Fullbacks :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

If Chris Godwin had any sort of consistency to his game, he would be WR2 in this class. His ceiling is Mike Evans-ish.

Makes some stupid catches but drops some easy ones. Has so many failures at the catch point and doesn't fight back to the ball. Isn't the fastest guy but has good releases at the LOS, uses his hands well early and can use them like a crafty vet late in the route to create space between him and the CB. Route running can be fine tuned but he's got some explosion on in-breaking routes at intermediate level. His blocking is really impressive, uses his length well and he's not afraid to mix it up blocking down on LBs and safeties.

Probably a 3rd round grade because he's so damn infuriating but I'd take a punt on his potential. Should be a very nice fit for Rick Dennison.

Bill, I'm not there yet. It is unfair to point out particular selections and then make a declaration that he failed in his job. In general I would say his drafting and even his draft strategy have been average to mediocre.

The area I think he does reasonably well is find mid-range good value free agents. From an evaluation standpoint it is obviously easier to evaluate a player who is already playing in the pros than a prospect from the college ranks.

Another aspect of Whaley that I find disappointing is that he has a tendency to over rate his roster. For the past couple of years he has publicly stated that he felt that his team was a playoff team. He can make the claim that bad coaching diminished his roster but the reality is that this team isn't as good as he thinks it is. In my opinion next year's team is not a playoff team. The hiring of Rex set this franchise back by a year or two.

side note: I believe that Whaley's preferred qb on this roster is Cardale Jones. It seems to me that he is not enamored with TT and wouldn't mind cutting the cord with him. But he may be boxed in because his options are limited. Again, he has a tendency to over rate his own players. I don't see the Bills using either of their top two picks on a qb.

John, I base my opinion of Whaley on MANY things, although the first one does happen to be how he mishandled the QB position.

I heard yesterday on Sirius that the Patriots are 63 million under the cap. 63 Million!!!! We are nowhere near this and we pay Clay approx. 63 Billion to be an average Tight End. Whaley did have some OK signings and draft picks. For instance Darby is OK for a 2nd round pick. Hooray!

The man drafts crippled players with high picks and gives away draft picks at will. Who put the clause in the overpaid Marcel Dareus contract that drug suspensions were ok?

Whaley, imo, is an utter disgrace. He might not appear to be a clown/buffoon like Rex, but he is a rank amateur. Tell me, if he is fired, do you think there will be an NFL team stupid enough to hire him as GM?

Tell me, if he is fired, do you think there will be an NFL team stupid enough to hire him as GM?

He would get a Director of Player Personnel job somewhere within a year of being fired. GMs rarely get 2nd goes round in the NFL so I am not sure that in and of itself should doom him.

I think your criticism of him is over the top. I see it the other way - he has made some mistakes - the Clay and Harvin contracts are the main ones - but I think he is batting at about .500 and as Polian always says the best bat at about .575.

Edited by GunnerBill

John, I base my opinion of Whaley on MANY things, although the first one does happen to be how he mishandled the QB position.

I heard yesterday on Sirius that the Patriots are 63 million under the cap. 63 Million!!!! We are nowhere near this and we pay Clay approx. 63 Billion to be an average Tight End. Whaley did have some OK signings and draft picks. For instance Darby is OK for a 2nd round pick. Hooray!

The man drafts crippled players with high picks and gives away draft picks at will. Who put the clause in the overpaid Marcel Dareus contract that drug suspensions were ok?

Whaley, imo, is an utter disgrace. He might not appear to be a clown/buffoon like Rex, but he is a rank amateur. Tell me, if he is fired, do you think there will be an NFL team stupid enough to hire him as GM?

Bill, Maybe my view on Whaley was inflated because in comparison to the other clueless GMs this staggering organization has had he at least had the appearance of being normal. Levy/Brandon/Country Buddy to Buddy Nix. Is this not more of a Hee Haw outfit?

My main criticism of Whaley is that he is more of a tactical thinker instead of a strategic thinker. He has more of a patchwork approach to roster building instead of a conceptual and strategic approach to constructing a roster. As a GM he acts as if his role is that of a scout instead of the more encompassing role of a GM.

I have come to the conclusion a long time ago that unless a GM is able to address the qb issue at a respectable level over a reasonable period of time then that GM is a failure regardless of whatever else he has done. I have not disqualified Whaley yet but I am starting to move in that negative direction. The harsh reality is that this franchise has not had a legitimate franchise qb in 20 years. Yet this organization still dawdles! Their response to the void at qb is to focus more on the DB crop in the draft.

Bill, comparing this befuddled franchise to the Pats in any category is outlandish. The Bills are kindergartners competing with a student body composed of Noble Laureates, The disparity is embarrassing.

I said it before and I will say it again: Any organization that hires Rex Ryan to be their HC forfeits its right to be taken seriously. It's sad, so sad.

He would get a Director of Player Personnel job somewhere within a year of being fired. GMs rarely get 2nd goes round in the NFL so I am not sure that in and of itself should doom him.

I think your criticism of him is over the top. I see it the other way - he has made some mistakes - the Clay and Harvin contracts are the main ones - but I think he is batting at about .500 and as Polian always says the best bat at about .575.

All GMs make mistakes. It's the nature of the job. In general I consider him doing a decent job. My central criticism of him has to do with the way the roster was put together and his cap management. Did the hiring of Rex and his attempt to buttress him hurt on how he put the roster together? Absolutely. No one can argue otherwise. But designing a roster to suit a fool HC still falls back on the person responsible to constructing the roster, the GM.

As I told Gotham Bill my biggest criticism of Whaley has to do with his inability to address the qb issue. For me there is a lack of urgency to get that position adequately addressed. I also recognize that Nix made the EJ selection but Whaley was responsible for putting that qb list together. A third to fourth round talent was selected in the first round. That is such a large misfire that factors into my downgrading of his performance. Again, I consider him doing a decent job. A C plus grade would be my grade.

Yes, the Clay contract may be a bit rich, but he can play if only someone would throw him the ball with any frequency.

Yes, the Clay contract may be a bit rich, but he can play if only someone would throw him the ball with any frequency.

I very much agree with you. He is a good pass catching receiver who is capable of going down field. That was why he was signed at a rich price. His talents have been squandered through no fault of his own. Although Watkins has been hurt I will say the same thing about him. Underutilized talent through no fault of his own.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. All your responses were concisely explained. We are very much in agreement.

With respect to drawing the line on qbs prospect you have to make the calculation that the person you are selecting has the potential to be a franchise qb. If there is a grouping of qbs that you believe are capable of developing into good pro qbs then a good strategy to take is to hedge your bets and trade down and get an extra pick or so. The organization did it with EJ but the problem still revolved around the poor evaluation of him.

Don't misunderstand my position. I'm not suggesting that the Bills should act out of desperation and take the plunge on a qb for the sake of taking the plunge. Isn't it about time that this dour organization used some creativity and flexibility when evaluating the position? As you and others have pointed out Russell Wilson was rated high in all the traits required to be a franchise qb other than height. A third round pick on him would have been a good calculated risk. The problem was that Country Buddy believed in bigger players over smaller players. His rating scale over emphasized one's physical profile over actual football ability. The Kirk Cousins bypass is another illustration of how this front office operates. Hesitation is not an asset in the pursuit of a qb. This is the one position where judiciously over-drafting by one round makes sense. The EJ example was a boondoggle from a variety of fronts. My complaint is that for this qb deficit franchise to be consistently hesitant as reflected in the Wilson and Cousins's draft year made no sense to me.

"What ifs" are a losers lament. Although it is just wishful thinking if the Bills would have taken the opportunity to draft Carr, Wilson or Cousins etc our outlook on this franchise would have a much different tinge to it. We need to stop doing what we usually do.

We definitely agree! Hopefully the front office starts thinking this way, if not outside the box altogether.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.