2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

All due respect, I just can't see the logic in spending almost $35 million under the cap, and $over $40 million in cash the next two seasons for a QB you want to replace...If there was no Cap I'd be all for it...But we're talking about a team with 20 something UFA's and only 6 Draft picks currently...Something has to give...

So if the Bills pick up the option I fully expect them to build the team around the QB...If they don't pick it up a high round QB can be expected... B-)

just saying be prepared to take a step back if we start a rookie out the gate

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, just a quick comment/opinion about quarterbacks.....

Tyrod Taylor may or may not succeed. I want the Bills to keep him AND draft a 1st round qb, but I have been wrong before.

That said, qbs such as Tyrod are the future of the sport imo. Did you notice that Watson and a freshman Hurts played for the title? Colleges play 4 and 5 wr sets and go with RPOs. This is beyond dispute. Teams that stand by and wait to draft an old time drop back quarterback might have to wait decades for a good one.

The kid on USC looked GREAT, right? Well, he will go first barring injury. Then what?

In summary, qb will always be the most important position. Finding one will change sooner that later.

Again, jmo.

Then we draft Luke Falk.

John, just a quick comment/opinion about quarterbacks.....

Tyrod Taylor may or may not succeed. I want the Bills to keep him AND draft a 1st round qb, but I have been wrong before.

That said, qbs such as Tyrod are the future of the sport imo. Did you notice that Watson and a freshman Hurts played for the title? Colleges play 4 and 5 wr sets and go with RPOs. This is beyond dispute. Teams that stand by and wait to draft an old time drop back quarterback might have to wait decades for a good one.

The kid on USC looked GREAT, right? Well, he will go first barring injury. Then what?

In summary, qb will always be the most important position. Finding one will change sooner that later.

Again, jmo.

got to disagree here Bill; The college spread has been around along time now and if it worked in the NFL they would be doing it. the problem with it is it is way too simple with these run pass options and one read and throw it passes. Teams use elements of it but a fall on spread with an athletic QB is not going to work and the reason it does is because the level of talent is not equal across the board in college. Chip Kelly tried that nonsense and had momentary success and is now the laughed right out of the league, let us also not forget Marrone's hurry-up college offense that flopped here as well.

the QBs that come out of these systems have no idea how to read defenses or make audibles or rely on there athlectism which is not sustainable in the NFL.

Now that does not mean these QBs can't succeed it just means it will take a lot more time than normal to be NFL if ever.

Also there is more than Darnold in a pro offense: Josh Allen from Wyoming, Josh Rosen from UCLA and Wilton Speight of Michigan among others.

Bill, I also want to keep TT. Having him as a bridge qb is a reason for selecting a qb this year because it allows you time to develop the prospect instead of force feeding a player as we did with EJ. If TT should surprise everyone and become a legitimate franchise qb then that is nothing to complain about, it is something to celebrate.

I don't accept the notion that you have to have a prototypical type of qb, or prototypical player for any position. You can be a good qb who works out of the pocket and you can be a good qb who plays a style such as TT does. Rodgers doesn't play a similar game to either Roethlisberg or Brady or Russell Wilson or Brees. Yet they are all premier qbs who excel on the field.

I just wish this troglodyte organization would demonstrate more urgency and emphasis on finding a qb. The problem I have with many posters on this board is that they have this attitude that if the qb prospect isn't an elite prospect who is a top of the draft caliber of qb then the best approach would be to wait until next year. If there is an elite prospect or two next year we will still be a middle of the pact team that isn't in position to make the golden acquisition (as you noted).

Odds are that this antiquated and unimaginative franchise is going to use a first round pick on a DB to replace Gilmore. How does that advance this team? It doesn't. My frustration level steadily rises as this organization repeats doing things that keeps them mired in the muck of mediocrity. It is exasperating!

if we have a poor record then we have a chance to get one of these QBs.

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang compares Watson to Taylor as well

the one thing Watson does different is throw the slant, other than that they are basically the same player.

Then we draft Luke Falk.

he went back to school

the one thing Watson does different is throw the slant, other than that they are basically the same player.

They are not.

Key differences:

- Watson is less risk averse and takes more chances with the ball

- Watson throws with greater anticipation doesn't wait to see receivers open

- He gets the ball out of his hands quicker

- Throw quick hitters with much superior ball placement to allow for YAC opportunity

- Watson's best throw is his deep seam route right down the middle of the field

- Tyrod has a stronger arm

- Tyrod is more effective at selling the play action and freezing the defense on the zone read

- Tyrod also has an advantage at the moment clearly on experience and on pre-snap adjustment

My personal view is you could get similar production out of Watson in year 1 as you get out of Tyrod.... but I think his ceiling as a passer is significantly higher. The comparisons of the two are lazy to my mind and based on their athleticism and ability as runners. They play very differently in the passing game.

Edited by GunnerBill

he went back to school

He is talking about next year. I think Falk and Rudolph both made wise decisions staying in school. I'll be very interested to watch them next year. I'd made an initial start on both and there are some nice traits there. It would not shock me if one of them ended up in the discussion as a top 5 pick next spring.

Someone is going to get a heck of a LB on day 3 when they draft UCLA's Jayon Brown.

He reminds me of De'Vondre Campbell last year--on the small size, but extremely athletic and instinctive. I mean, watch this play at the 5:03 mark of the Stanford game...you can't teach this stuff (he's #12, so ignore the icon hanging over the head of Eddie Vanderdoes):

Someone is going to get a heck of a LB on day 3 when they draft UCLA's Jayon Brown.

He reminds me of De'Vondre Campbell last year--on the small size, but extremely athletic and instinctive. I mean, watch this play at the 5:03 mark of the Stanford game...you can't teach this stuff (he's #12, so ignore the icon hanging over the head of Eddie Vanderdoes):

But I like Eddie :)

With the 10th pick of the 2017 NFL drat the Buffalo Bills select.....

Whaley: "He will be on the field right off the bus"

I think that the Bills probably have to pass after Lawson. It's an odd situation because I think that he was going to be off the board. I also think that he's going to be a star at a position of need. Now people are projecting him between 10-17 from what I saw. I guess he could be in play in a trade back but Whaley will get crushed from the time they turn the card in until Malik gets on the field.

I think that the Bills probably have to pass after Lawson. It's an odd situation because I think that he was going to be off the board. I also think that he's going to be a star at a position of need. Now people are projecting him between 10-17 from what I saw. I guess he could be in play in a trade back but Whaley will get crushed from the time they turn the card in until Malik gets on the field.

Yep. Would take a strong GM to make that pick after last year and if Whaley has any nervousness about his job he probably avoids it.

You still haven't entirely sold me on the idea of a safety at #10 anyway Kirbs.... though you have softened my stance on where I started....

I think that passing on a talent like Hooker at 10 because he might miss a bit of time as a rookie would be a mistake. In my opinion, those that are upset that Lawson missed time due to an injury are overreacting by a lot. Your first round pick is meant to be a long-term investment - I wouldn't pass on a superior talent for a lesser guy just because one guy might miss some of his rookie season.

Now, the above assumes that the Bills have Hooker graded better than the other players available at their pick. If they like Mike Williams or Corey Davis as much as Hooker, then sure take the guy who won't miss time (you hope).

Edited by OldTimer1960

if we have a poor record then we have a chance to get one of these QBs.

What if we have another 8-8 type season again? I know what you are going to say before you will even say it: Wait until the next year. A generation has passed by with the same results. How about doing something differently by being proactive?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.