2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

What if we have another 8-8 type season again? I know what you are going to say before you will even say it: Wait until the next year. A generation has passed by with the same results. How about doing something differently by being proactive?

We drafted a guy in the 1st in 2013 because "it was time." Was that a better idea than taking a guy in 2014? In 2014 they could have taken Garoppolo, Bridgewater or Carr. They could have taken Jimmy G in the 2nd or either of the other 2 with a trade up from the Kuondajio pick. Obviously they expended the 2015 1st to move up for Watkins but that's because they took the QB in 2013. You don't draft a QB because it's time. You draft a QB because he's the guy. If the Bills believe in these guys, go for it but being "time" is never the reason.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We drafted a guy in the 1st in 2013 because "it was time." Was that a better idea than taking a guy in 2014? In 2014 they could have taken Garoppolo, Bridgewater or Carr. They could have taken Jimmy G in the 2nd or either of the other 2 with a trade up from the Kuondajio pick. Obviously they expended the 2015 1st to move up for Watkins but that's because they took the QB in 2013. You don't draft a QB because it's time. You draft a QB because he's the guy. If the Bills believe in these guys, go for it but being "time" is never the reason.

If the Bills draft Watson for example and he is good, that would be worth quite a bit even if Tyrod develops into a better qb. The trade value of either one would be huge, let alone the advantage of having a quality backup in case of injury.

At this stage of the game, is there ever a bad time to draft a quarterback? We can keep drafting 1st round corners and safeties and give away draft picks until we are blue in the face but we will continue to lose. Why should anybody believe otherwise after almost 2 decades of disgrace and futility?

You are taking the wrong lesson from the EJ pick. This constant reference to the EJ selection in order to justify not making qb selections is off the mark. The lesson that the EJ pick demonstrates has little to do with the risk associated with forcing the issue on the qb position. The real lesson to be learned is that the EJ pick was an atrocious pick because it was a bad evaluation of a player regardless of position. He was a third to fourth round talent and he was selected in the first round. He was a bad pick not because he was a qb but because he was simply a bad pick from an evaluation standpoint. Again, regardless of position. His selection was grotesquely wrong because he was poorly scouted. His own college coach was surprised that he was taken in the first round. What does that say about the caliber of our scouting?

The lesson to be learned by the EJ fiasco is not to shrink when quality qb prospects are on the board----the lesson to be learned is to do a better job in evaluating qbs. Your point that the Bills were committed to a mistake in the EJ selection and couldn't consider qbs in the following years such as Carr, Grap and Bridgewater is another example of stupendous incompetence. When Marrone saw that it appeared that he had no choice other than to start EJ do you know how he responded? He basically told Whaley to go F***ck himself and get a real qb who can give him a scintilla chance to compete. So Whaley out of desperation found Orton in the junk pile. How long did it take for Marrone to determine what EJ was? It was immediately. So now you are trying to use the argument that because this albatross was on the team that it couldn't draft a better option at that position. That is not only nonsense it is an absurd position to take. What you are basically arguing is that the Bills made a mistake with the EJ selection and that should be the basis for our timidity in our pursuit of upgrading that position. That is not only an unpersuasive position to take it is a self-crippling position to take.

Making mistakes in the draft is an aspect of the draft that is inescapable. That's the nature of the endeavor. It's how you respond to those mistakes that is important. A prostrating response to failure is not a brave response that leads to success. When you continue to do what has led you to failure the outcome will continue to be the same dispiriting failure.

When an organization that hasn't had a franchise qb for a generation doesn't act with urgency and boldness to solve that critcal problem then it has behaved in a way that borders on a dereliction of duty.

You and I have gone in circles on this issue for a long time. The last thing I'm going to do is get into the Jauron/Levy school of antiquity to solve an issue that has plagued this organization for a withering generation. Selecting a DB at the expense of taking the best qb prospect available is a recipe that has been followed for a long time. It is a recipe for continuous failure.

I say this with politeness and respect: On this issue I will never agree with you; and on this issue I say it with sad confidence.

Someone is going to get a heck of a LB on day 3 when they draft UCLA's Jayon Brown.

He reminds me of De'Vondre Campbell last year--on the small size, but extremely athletic and instinctive. I mean, watch this play at the 5:03 mark of the Stanford game...you can't teach this stuff (he's #12, so ignore the icon hanging over the head of Eddie Vanderdoes):

Looks like a WILL to me in a 43. Round 6 at best, 7 or Priority UDFA more likely IMO.

A couple things I saw: Will stack, then get blasted in the run game and needs to be kept clean to make plays by his defensive lineman, but he will take on any blocker in the hole. Small and quick, reminds me of Telvin Smith (D. Campbell as well), not quite as athletic laterally, but good speed and can hang with faster RB's and TE's down the field easily. Very good pass defender in man (as illustrated by the 5:03 mark play), seems innate to me as well, several times throughout the video he locates pre snap (call out) or immediately post snap and covers his man (RB and TE) immediately without hesitation. I did not see much in zone, but in man he played the TE option route head up and immediately broke on the TE's movement correctly, thats excellent coverage technique for a LB. He did a great job running down plays from the backside. If his man stays in to block, Brown did a good job of immediately blitzing and putting pressure on the QB from the inside when his man dedicated himself to protection. Natural instincts for sure, no hesitation in his movements, he sees it and goes.

I only watched this video, but he looks like a potential sub package guy who could also potentially provide depth, special teams help and maybe spot start?

My .02

If the Bills draft Watson for example and he is good, that would be worth quite a bit even if Tyrod develops into a better qb. The trade value of either one would be huge, let alone the advantage of having a quality backup in case of injury.

At this stage of the game, is there ever a bad time to draft a quarterback? We can keep drafting 1st round corners and safeties and give away draft picks until we are blue in the face but we will continue to lose. Why should anybody believe otherwise after almost 2 decades of disgrace and futility?

There is a bad time if he isn't ever going to be the guy. It is the "Garrett Grayson effect." The Saints drafted him because it was "time" and he was cut in year 2 and wound up on the PS. They could have taken David Johnson instead. The Jets took Sackenberg in the 2nd, Petty in the 4th in back-to back years. Neither guy will ever be a player. Deion Jones was the next player picked last year. So yeah, all of those teams can say they tried but you are definitely a better team with David Johnson than Garrett Grayson.

It comes down to having "THE" right guy not "A" guy. If the Bills believe that Watson, Trubisky, Kizer or even Mahomes is "THE" guy they should be the pick at 10 (or in a trade up). You jump at the chance to get franchise QBs. You don't just take a guy because.

I think that the Bills probably have to pass after Lawson. It's an odd situation because I think that he was going to be off the board. I also think that he's going to be a star at a position of need. Now people are projecting him between 10-17 from what I saw. I guess he could be in play in a trade back but Whaley will get crushed from the time they turn the card in until Malik gets on the field.

I understand what you are saying here, but the long term potential would completely out weigh the short term thinking in this situation and that IMO is way more important. Whaley would get crushed until Hooker gets on the field and all those crushers start looking really silly. 6 months puts him back on the field before the season starts, 4 months and he's back before camp starts. Its like passing on Ed Reed for Lamont Thompson in 2002 because Reed was going to miss training camp and Thompson wasnt.

I think that passing on a talent like Hooker at 10 because he might miss a bit of time as a rookie would be a mistake. In my opinion, those that are upset that Lawson missed time due to an injury are overreacting by a lot. Your first round pick is meant to be a long-term investment - I wouldn't pass on a superior talent for a lesser guy just because one guy might miss some of his rookie season.

Now, the above assumes that the Bills have Hooker graded better than the other players available at their pick. If they like Mike Williams or Corey Davis as much as Hooker, then sure take the guy who won't miss time (you hope).

I agree.

I agree as well.

All things equal between the 3 and Hooker fills the need ahead of the WR's I would still go Hooker. I also have Hooker rated ahead of the WR's so for me, I still go Hooker, even if he misses a couple of games.

You are taking the wrong lesson from the EJ pick. This constant reference to the EJ selection in order to justify not making qb selections is off the mark. The lesson that the EJ pick demonstrates has little to do with the risk associated with forcing the issue on the qb position. The real lesson to be learned is that the EJ pick was an atrocious pick because it was a bad evaluation of a player regardless of position. He was a third to fourth round talent and he was selected in the first round. He was a bad pick not because he was a qb but because he was simply a bad pick from an evaluation standpoint. Again, regardless of position. His selection was grotesquely wrong because he was poorly scouted. His own college coach was surprised that he was taken in the first round. What does that say about the caliber of our scouting?

The lesson to be learned by the EJ fiasco is not to shrink when quality qb prospects are on the board----the lesson to be learned is to do a better job in evaluating qbs. Your point that the Bills were committed to a mistake in the EJ selection and couldn't consider qbs in the following years such as Carr, Grap and Bridgewater is another example of stupendous incompetence. When Marrone saw that it appeared that he had no choice other than to start EJ do you know how he responded? He basically told Whaley to go F***ck himself and get a real qb who can give him a scintilla chance to compete. So Whaley out of desperation found Orton in the junk pile. How long did it take for Marrone to determine what EJ was? It was immediately. So now you are trying to use the argument that because this albatross was on the team that it couldn't draft a better option at that position. That is not only nonsense it is an absurd position to take. What you are basically arguing is that the Bills made a mistake with the EJ selection and that should be the basis for our timidity in our pursuit of upgrading that position. That is not only an unpersuasive position to take it is a self-crippling position to take.

Making mistakes in the draft is an aspect of the draft that is inescapable. That's the nature of the endeavor. It's how you respond to those mistakes that is important. A prostrating response to failure is not a brave response that leads to success. When you continue to do what has led you to failure the outcome will continue to be the same dispiriting failure.

When an organization that hasn't had a franchise qb for a generation doesn't act with urgency and boldness to solve that critcal problem then it has behaved in a way that borders on a dereliction of duty.

You and I have gone in circles on this issue for a long time. The last thing I'm going to do is get into the Jauron/Levy school of antiquity to solve an issue that has plagued this organization for a withering generation. Selecting a DB at the expense of taking the best qb prospect available is a recipe that has been followed for a long time. It is a recipe for continuous failure.

I say this with politeness and respect: On this issue I will never agree with you; and on this issue I say it with sad confidence.

The part in bold is where you are off. I am in no way advocating not taking a QB. I am advocating not taking THESE QBs. There is a big difference. If Sam Darnold were in this draft I would be banging the table to try to move up.

I understand what you are saying here, but the long term potential would completely out weigh the short term thinking in this situation and that IMO is way more important. Whaley would get crushed until Hooker gets on the field and all those crushers start looking really silly. 6 months puts him back on the field before the season starts, 4 months and he's back before camp starts. Its like passing on Ed Reed for Lamont Thompson in 2002 because Reed was going to miss training camp and Thompson wasnt.

I agree.

I agree as well.

All things equal between the 3 and Hooker fills the need ahead of the WR's I would still go Hooker. I also have Hooker rated ahead of the WR's so for me, I still go Hooker, even if he misses a couple of games.

I love Hooker as a prospect. He has range that I may have never seen before (and that isn't hyperbole). He is a little (to a lot) raw but would have no issues with him at 10. I think that the Bills will be a little more conservative though after Lawson last year (not that that is the right train of thought).

As I learn more about the prospects, my view is to pick (listed in order) one of Hooker/Adams, Foster, or Solomon at 10, and if none are available try to trade back. All of course will depend on what happens in FA.

While I'm certain they will add a WR and LB in FA (I'm assuming TT is back), they really need a young stud at S. Graham is aging and AW's future is up in the air. If neither is available, then Foster, who seems the speedy type of LB that SM likes. Solomon may be the most controversial on my list. You can never have enough pass rushers, and this guy wreaks havoc from all over the line.

I'm torn on the CB position. I don't think Gilmore will return. I could add "the best CB" on my list, but it seems it's a very good year, and there will be a lot of options at the 45th pick. And, if the Bills do not replace Gilmore in FA, then they will have to take a CB with one of the first 2 picks.

The real lesson to be learned is that the EJ pick was an atrocious pick because it was a bad evaluation of a player regardless of position. He was a third to fourth round talent and he was selected in the first round. He was a bad pick not because he was a qb but because he was simply a bad pick from an evaluation standpoint. Again, regardless of position. His selection was grotesquely wrong because he was poorly scouted. His own college coach was surprised that he was taken in the first round. What does that say about the caliber of our scouting?

The lesson to be learned by the EJ fiasco is not to shrink when quality qb prospects are on the board----the lesson to be learned is to do a better job in evaluating qbs. Your point that the Bills were committed to a mistake in the EJ selection and couldn't consider qbs in the following years such as Carr, Grap and Bridgewater is another example of stupendous incompetence.

I am not privy to your disagreement with Kirby, just saying I agree with this part 100%. I thought at the time he was drafted a round too early by far and had a 3rd round developmental grade on him myself. The pick was bad on many fronts.

FWIW: I will say that I was in Philly for a former college teammates wedding during the 2013 draft and remember listening to a radio station he told me was worth listening to for football/draft (no clue the station now, but the host he said was well connected to actual team sources) information and the radio host stating that he thought E.J. would have been the Eagles 2nd round pick for C. Kelly and would not have been there for Buffalo in round 2. Interesting that he also mentioned Mike Mayock saying Manuel was his #1 QB in the draft and he thought that thinking or the weight of him saying it had something to do with teams potentially and actually reaching on him. Would have been the Eagles mistake potentially if Buffalo had passed.

Not a chance in hell Corey was running a 4.6 :D

Blokes, is Corey Davis your favorite prospect for the Bills at 10? I know that you love him. This is a bit of a loaded question but I am going to ask anyways. Can you give us your top 5 targets at 10 and your top 5 targets at 44? At least as of now...

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Blokes, is Corey Davis your favorite prospect for the Bills at 10? I know that you love him. This is a bit of a loaded question but I am going to ask anyways. Can you give us your top 5 targets at 10 and your top 5 targets at 44? At least as of now...

Corey is one of my top 5 guys for the 10th pick. I'm more than happy with him, Reuben Foster, Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams or Malik McDowell at that spot. Foster/Davis/Hooker, health concerns not being a long-term concern, are probably tied for my affections.

At 44, the list is a little bit loaded to needs. I haven't really dug into a ton of guys outside of need positions just yet. If JuJu drops to the 2nd, he's on the list. Antonio Garcia, Cordrea Tankersley, Quincy Wilson. If any of the big 4 QB's (Mahomes/Kizer/Watson/Trubisky) drop that far, they make it by proxy. I'll have a clearer idea on the Day 2 guys as I get through them.

Corey is one of my top 5 guys for the 10th pick. I'm more than happy with him, Reuben Foster, Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams or Malik McDowell at that spot. Foster/Davis/Hooker, health concerns not being a long-term concern, are probably tied for my affections.

At 44, the list is a little bit loaded to needs. I haven't really dug into a ton of guys outside of need positions just yet. If JuJu drops to the 2nd, he's on the list. Antonio Garcia, Cordrea Tankersley, Quincy Wilson. If any of the big 4 QB's (Mahomes/Kizer/Watson/Trubisky) drop that far, they make it by proxy. I'll have a clearer idea on the Day 2 guys as I get through them.

Great stuff, thanks Blokes!!

Not a chance in hell Corey was running a 4.6 :D

4.8? :flirt:

I have my doubts about his speed but that doesn't mean he can't be great.

I think he probably can't boost his stock with anything sub 4.5 and I don't think he can do that so this is probably a calculated decision.

Edited by #BADOL

4.8? :flirt:

I have my doubts about his speed but that doesn't mean he can't be great.

I figured he would be in the 4.45-4.50 bracket with a more than respectable 10-split. He's not a burner or anything but he can move for a guy his size. NFLDraftScout has him as a 4.48 guy, they're not usually that far off.

Undoubted WR1 for me. I don't think this is a Treadwell situation where he's hiding from being exposed. I wanted to see his 40 and his 3-cone for curiousity sake but this doesn't change anything for me.

I figured he would be in the 4.45-4.50 bracket with a more than respectable 10-split. He's not a burner or anything but he can move for a guy his size. NFLDraftScout has him as a 4.48 guy, they're not usually that far off.

Undoubted WR1 for me. I don't think this is a Treadwell situation where he's hiding from being exposed. I wanted to see his 40 and his 3-cone for curiousity sake but this doesn't change anything for me.

The scouting community has been RAVING about Davis. It seems like the worst kept secret. He's a guy that will get drafted higher than some seem to expect imo. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he went 5.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.