Jerry Jones Regrets Not Overpaying to Get Lynch

Jerry Jones regrets not overpaying to get Lynch

Most times in Jerry Jones' life, the Dallas Cowboys owner gets what he wants. Not so during the 2016 NFL Draft.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Cowboys tried to trade back into the first round to select quarterback Paxton Lynch, but couldn't get a deal done. The Denver Broncos swooped in to snag the signal-caller.

Jones added that he didn't sleep well after missing on Lynch.

The Bills were asking for the Cowboys' 2017 1st round pick and if the deal went down the 2016 draft would have been totally different at OBD. We likely wouldn't have Shaq Lawson as a Bill with Ragland as the 1st pick with what was the Cowboys #34 pick in the 2nd round. The Cowboys would have had Lynch and no Jaylon Smith.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is such a lunatic. It amazes me that the DeMarco Murray situation somehow destroyed two franchises. It's crazy how chain reactions work in the NFL. If Dallas pays Murray a bit more than they were offering, he doesn't go to Philly, the Cowboys win more games last year, Chip Kelly maybe doesn't trade away McCoy and then get fired for being a horrible GM, and the Cowboys don't need to blow the 4th overall pick on a running back.

Jerruh will do the same thing with QBs these next few years. He chases, and alternates between impulsiveness and openly regretted self-discipline.

He's a clown.

He probably regrets not trading that 2nd rounder that they wasted on Jaylon Smith.

This guy is such a lunatic. It amazes me that the DeMarco Murray situation somehow destroyed two franchises. It's crazy how chain reactions work in the NFL. If Dallas pays Murray a bit more than they were offering, he doesn't go to Philly, the Cowboys win more games last year, Chip Kelly maybe doesn't trade away McCoy and then get fired for being a horrible GM, and the Cowboys don't need to blow the 4th overall pick on a running back.

Jerruh will do the same thing with QBs these next few years. He chases, and alternates between impulsiveness and openly regretted self-discipline.

He's a clown.

I think Kelly was going to move Shady regardless of who he had to replace him.

He's a clown.

I agree with this post. He acts like a fan - regretting he didn't do something before it proves necessary to regret it. He's got closet self esteem issues with an unwillingness to relinquish power for someone else to take over personnel decisions.

Oh no! He'll have to wait until 2017 to sell the farm to get Romo's replacement!

Look, Romo is still his guy. And while he doesn't have much of a shelf life left, he's still a darn good QB. If Jerry was serious about getting a replacement, he had his shot at 4. And, for the record, he didn't massively overpay to go up to slots for Wentz or Goff, neither of whom are sure things.

Instead, he took a fantastic RB, has a solid O-ine, has a healthy Romo this year (and probably for next year)

That has to make Dak Presott feel great. Good job Jeraw

i read this crap earlier. stephen jones needs to keep the old man away from society. Buy him a big screen and pretend fisher- price toy phones to speak at

He's a clown.

dude has issues

Jerry Jones regrets not overpaying to get Lynch

The Bills were asking for the Cowboys' 2017 1st round pick and if the deal went down the 2016 draft would have been totally different at OBD. We likely wouldn't have Shaq Lawson as a Bill with Ragland as the 1st pick with what was the Cowboys #34 pick in the 2nd round. The Cowboys would have had Lynch and no Jaylon Smith.

I am SOOOOOO psyched none of that happened. Our draft was awesome on paper.

That has to make Dak Presott feel great. Good job Jeraw

I know rite! what a dick move. smh

He probably regrets overpaying for Matt Cassel though.

LOL bam!

If a QB is worth taking in the first round he is worth taking with your first pick......regardless of how early.

Zeke Elliott is a very good running back but running backs don't start for 15+ years and keep your franchise perennially in contention.

It's pretty simple math.

He's a clown.

Kelly hated the player that McCoy is because he danced too much and dashed for the sidelines instead of taking the early cutback.....the latter continued in Buffalo last season.

He was going to cut him just like DeSean Jackson and later Evan Mathis. Bills essentially traded for his negotiating rights as a free agent.

That was before FA, Murray came later. Kelly wanted inside runners but Murray was grossly overrated playing behind a great OL with a franchise QB. Ryan Matthews played much better and I think Frank Gore was their original #1 target in FA.

The Cowboys didn't make a mistake not signing Murray they made a mistake making zero attempt to find a solid, reliable RB. Cowboys run game came around as the season wore on....with that OL they don't need much. Elliott should be great this year but in 2 years they might be right back drafting in the top 4 in a year with an EJ Manuel level top QB.......should have taken the QB.

Kelly hated the player that McCoy is because he danced too much and dashed for the sidelines instead of taking the early cutback.....the latter continued in Buffalo last season.

He was going to cut him just like DeSean Jackson and later Evan Mathis. Bills essentially traded for his negotiating rights as a free agent.

That was before FA, Murray came later. Kelly wanted inside runners but Murray was grossly overrated playing behind a great OL with a franchise QB. Ryan Matthews played much better and I think Frank Gore was their original #1 target in FA.

The Cowboys didn't make a mistake not signing Murray they made a mistake making zero attempt to find a solid, reliable RB. Cowboys run game came around as the season wore on....with that OL they don't need much. Elliott should be great this year but in 2 years they might be right back drafting in the top 4 in a year with an EJ Manuel level top QB.......should have taken the QB.

A word in Murray's defense: Kelly also tried to make Murray run outside like Shady, thinking "oh, he'll just run through those holes that Shady danced around"

Unfortunately for them, Shady dances when there is no hole.

I am SOOOOOO psyched none of that happened. Our draft was awesome on paper.

I know rite! what a dick move. smh

LOL bam!

Just a guess, but I think the Bills would have selected Ragland and Jarron Reed in the 2nd round if the deal had been completed.

Is Lawson worth that much more over J. Reed?

Plus Dallas #67 and keep two 4th rd picks

The Bills wanted the Cowboys' 2017 #1 pick to make the deal. They didn't feel like it was worth what Jerruh was offering to give up Shaq.

The Bills wanted the Cowboys' 2017 #1 pick to make the deal. They didn't feel like it was worth what Jerruh was offering to give up Shaq.

A 2 and a 3 in this draft was definitely worth it, esp. since they would've been able to keep the two 4s they sent away to take Ragland. This draft was botched.

Why - a 2 and a 3 for 19, so that's 2, plus the two 4s they spent to move up for Ragland...? That said I haven't had my coffee yet...

Here we go again. If the Bills would have taken Cowboys offer, they would have had 3 more picks in the '16-'17 drafts.

Why - a 2 and a 3 for 19, so that's 2, plus the two 4s they spent to move up for Ragland...? That said I haven't had my coffee yet...

You wanted the Bills to drop from 19 to 34 and only pick up a 3rd for the drop? That's essentially what you're saying. That is nowhere near enough.

Here we go again. If the Bills would have taken Cowboys offer, they would have had 3 more picks in the '16-'17 drafts.

Was this gone through already? I'm saying - they take the Cowboys offer and they pick up the #34 pick, so they can take Ragland at 34 without spending two 4s to go get him. I might be missing something, because math, but I think I'm right?

Was this gone through already? I'm saying - they take the Cowboys offer and they pick up the #34 pick, so they can take Ragland at 34 without spending two 4s to go get him. I might be missing something, because math, but I think I'm right?

I take it you missed the debates of how much it cost to get Watkins?

You're also assuming that Reed is still on the board at #18 of Round 2, despite Seahawks clear interest in him.

So realistically, If Bills take Ragland at #34, they probably have to do another swap to make sure they still get a quality DL at the top half of round 2.

Edited by GG

I thought the object was to get really good players, not just players in quantity. If they really believed that Lawson is a perfect fit and elite, you take him. This is a team that really needs a defensive end, and Reed is not the player that Lawson is.

Edited by dave mcbride